Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,771 members, 7,965,905 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 02:18 AM

should i study agric? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / should i study agric? (26638 Views)

Which University Can I Study Physiotherapy In Nigeria? / I Am Offered Admission To Study Agric Instead Of Medicine.should I Go Or Not / What Course Can I Study With This Waec Result? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: should i study agric? by 1stUnique(m): 7:54am On Jan 05, 2014
Lateef9961: Do it lyk dix.
Go 4 dat agric course reg in udusok,start
attending lectures iv lecture happen 2 hav
begin den u buy anoda jamb form,whl stil
running ur degree in agric,iv God has
destined u 4 medicine,u might b lucky
and get it wen u write anoda jamb dix yr.
Hope my message x clear?
LAST BULLET:DONT FORFIT DAT ADMIS
$ION SO DAT U
WUNT REGRET AT D END.
ma $alam...

to what this guy has already said b4.. dis my little additional token.

Success is not the key to happiness, happiness
is the key to success. If you love what you're
doing, you'll be successful. 'when you feel
passionate about something and allow yourself
to pursue it, you position yourself to succeed
in life.
The biggest mistake people make in life is not
trying to make a living at what they enjoy.' As
a result, they simply endure their working lives
instead of making the most of them. They live
for the weekends. They try to hang on until
retirement. That's a shame, because your
chance of success is directly proportional to
degree of pleasure you derive from what you
do. Tommy Lasorda, manager of Los Angeles
Dodgers baseball team, said, 'The best day of
my life is when i manage in a winning game.
And the second best day of my life is when i
manage in a losing game.' In other words,
every day he was involved in the game was a
day he was living his dream. Are you? Dreams
come true when gifts are set on fire with
passion. The best career advice you'll ever
receive is to discover your God-given passion
and follow it. There are two things to aim at in
life; first, to get what you want; and after that,
enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve
the second. 'So, 'press toward the goal for the
prize.'

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Lakeshizu(m): 9:43am On Jan 05, 2014
You should know that when you study agriculture, your field of work should be agricuture either farming or something related. Don't expect to come and work in the bank, IT, finance etc...sector except connection.... pls stop advicing people wrongly. every degree stand a chance for any job oppurtunity in this country....need to tell u agriculture is a very large field of study. As a graduate of agricuture i can tel u wat to do in a bank.

1. risk and debt management.
2. marketing and sales
3. financial insurer
4. project officer/management
5.economic analyst... etc

most people just feel like if u study agric u will be condemned to the farm, dats not true, we need to see beyond wat we have.

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by wolegzy: 11:04am On Jan 05, 2014
My friend,
I was once in your shoes. I applied to study Medicine (as everyone wants Medicine) at OAU in the year 2000.
I scored 211 in JAMB and was offered Plant Science in the faculty of Agriculture. I didn't like it (as you are feeling now) obviously because I couldn't imagine myself ending up as a farmer. So I asked around and sought advice from various quarters and I ended up with 3 options.
1. Decline the admission and head back home to prepare for another JAMB.
2.Accept the admission and cross-over to Pharmacy (a course with better opportunities) at the end of the 1st year.
3.Accept the admission and strive to be the best Plant scientist in Africa (lol).

I combined options 1 and 2 so I wouldn't lose at both ends. So I accepted the admission, studied hard to make goods grades (so as to cross-over to pharmacy), and the same time prepared for the next JAMB (for security).

After the 1st session, I was on 1st class but my HOD at Plant Science refused to release me to pharmacy,and I couldn't imagine myself ending up in Plant Science, but I had JAMB to fall back on, I scored 222 and though I didn't get admitted to study Medicine, but I got Biochemistry which I accepted and today I'm not regretting my choice because it has given me a wide range of opportunities in the labour market.

PLEASE, the Naija economy don pass wetin you study for school. If you are not well connected and from a rich man's house. My brother think well o before accepting to do the Agriculture course. I'm not condemning any course but in naija of today, we have limited opportunities EVEN FOR Doctors, engineers, accountants, lawyers etc. The few ones that seem to be working (except the very few lucky ones) are working from hand to mouth. Now imagine an agriculturist with no connections and money for naija.

Oro mi ko ju bayi lo.

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by GentleFrank(m): 11:37am On Jan 05, 2014
Pray over it !
Re: should i study agric? by Austin3519: 1:22pm On Jan 05, 2014
My guy. Pls accept it.
Re: should i study agric? by Georgeokez: 1:24pm On Jan 05, 2014
Bro just liked the first guy who commented said, accept the course while still in school get this years jamb form and study for it 1 the University is a wonderful environment to learn and study 2 if ur quite serious about it while in school u could become fortunate that somehow things might look bright in the course ur pursuing. Pls don't let any one tell u that studying medicine is a childish dream cos it's not I know friends of mine how were determined to study it and didn't quit no matter want, just keep perceiving and I sincerely trust God that he would see u true. Never quit on ur dream if not u would be like the losers who would write to u dat it can't be done probably because they could not do. So I repeat never quit on the dream

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by gayman99: 1:35pm On Jan 05, 2014
I wish to support your quote. I studied agriculture from a northern university with pg from other universities. I have not regretted ever taking that step in life. I have held offices such as managerial offices in banks, lecture in federal universities, carrying out government contracts in fertilizer companies, and soil analysis with oil companies. My dear, the sky is your limit with agriculture.
Lakeshizu: You should know that when you study agriculture, your field of work should be agricuture either farming or something related. Don't expect to come and work in the bank, IT, finance etc...sector except connection.... pls stop advicing people wrongly. every degree stand a chance for any job oppurtunity in this country....need to tell u agriculture is a very large field of study. As a graduate of agricuture i can tel u wat to do in a bank.

1. risk and debt management.
2. marketing and sales
3. financial insurer
4. project officer/management
5.economic analyst... etc

most people just feel like if u study agric u will be condemned to the farm, dats not true, we need to see beyond wat we have.

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by burningspear(m): 1:35pm On Jan 05, 2014
Bank Manager: First of all,nothing beats studying what you're passionate about..

Though you were given Agriculture,i will advice you pursue your medical aspiration..MBBS is among the best courses to study in Nigeria.

With the reforms going on in the medical profession presently,u never can tell,u can be the "SURGEON GENERAL of THE FEDERATION TOMORROW.."Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage..
Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations,our possibilities become limitless..

Above all,forfetting your admission in Usman Dan Fodio University should NEVER be done..
So,my advice is this:

To be on a safer side,ACCEPT your admission in UDFU,take the NEXT JAMB coming up in April(Just 3months from now)..

Work very hard.Put God along.Avoid unncessary distractions.Get the right materials/textbooks..

If you can adhere strictly to this little piece of advice,i can guarantee you that come next session,you will be a MEDICAL student..Impossibilty is nothing.The most difficult thing is the decision to act,the rest is merely tenancy.."If your ship doesn't come in,swim out to meet it"...

Forget those years of been denied admission in the east.The past is a ghost.The future a dream.All we have is now..

I have seen many guys who did this in UNIBEN and ended up being SUCCESSFUL..

Follow your passion.Go confidently in the direction of your dream.Live the life that you have imagined..!!!

Sound and re-invigorating advice from the ‘Bank Manager’! Follow this advice (if you are really brave).
Though you think the money to finance your MBBS study is not guaranteed, but when you get to the river, there'll be the bridge. God will be your source. Just believe, and then STAND strong on your lane, FOCUSED! T. Roosevelt may have passed through a similar situation when he wrote the mantra (probably written while hoisting the flag of victory): "... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself for a worthy course, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat"

3 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Timothy3113(m): 1:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
fattbabakay: dey ceceive ur head...wic kind yeye mass failure...is der any1 dah read nd followed d ryt procedure nd didn't get d ryt result??...shun doz fantasies nd face reality...BTW medicine requires full concentratn nd as d OP said he's sponsorin himself,let him leave medicine 2 doz dah fit in... No harm done I tink
haba guy y now. Let me give u an advise frm experienc dnt choose popular shool like uniben unilag e.t.c. It is hard to get there admission. It wil be a race of the survival wil be the fittest. But u can go to state university. And also i will advise to go and do predegree. I av a broda he s a dulard back then in secondary skul. He scored 193 in s jamb he got c6 paralel in waec. But stil adhere to vision by taking pd. He worked hard eventually they gav im medicin tru pd. So your focus and hw determind will help u
Re: should i study agric? by Ammania: 2:28pm On Jan 05, 2014
Miscellaneous:

Tell him the truth! If God has destined him, he wont struggle this way. . .so he should not put in for MBBS again! There are better opportunities in many other courses for christ sake!
precious tins dnt come easy bro..even joseph in d bible had 2 pass 2ru some huddles b4 rechn 4 d top..i would advice u go 4 wat u want nd nt wat d university wants u to

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by waldenu: 4:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
I had same issue. wanted medicine but studied soil science and agro climatology in Michael okpara university of agriculture, umudike. today I work in CDC, centre for disease control and prevention. I am doing my MPH, doctors, dentist, epidemiologists, and so on are in dey same class with me. God is the best person who cares for us as long as you put ur trust in Him. I advice u to go ahead and study what ever God has given u when dey time comes He places u in the right place.
Re: should i study agric? by AdekunleIG(m): 5:04pm On Jan 05, 2014
My candid advice for you is to forget about Medicine, accept and embrace Agriculture that's been given to you, concentrate and focus in your first year. You never can tell, you may be the best graduating student in the next 5yrs and that alone can open doors of opportunities for you.
Re: should i study agric? by classicuju: 5:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
i will advice u take d agric nd ltr switch 2 food tech or Dietetics. u wl ve a bright future, browse d 2 courses
Re: should i study agric? by classicuju: 5:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
accept it nd ltr switch 2 food tech or Dietetics.u wl ve a bright future, browse d 2
Re: should i study agric? by Meelaw(m): 7:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
Any 2013-2014 ui aspirant or student here
Re: should i study agric? by beewhyfocs(m): 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
fattbabakay: On a candid note,MEDICINE isn't meant 4 average students,coz I wonder how on earth u cud opt 4 MEDICINE nd stil scorin below 250 in UTME...I'd rather u went 4 AGRIC coz if it wer 2 be strict varsites lyk OAU,u won't be offered anytin atall!!!shalom!!!

I beg to disagree with you. Medicine is actually for average but consistent student. With no class of degree, all you need is to score 50% all through school and you will bag your degree. The need to score high mark is nnecessitatedby majority who cheat their way through JAMB.

Some universities like Unilag which offer diplomas courses that has provision for their candidates are not helping matters. A number of such students got admitted for Medicine not because they could score so high as you opined but because their parents can pay so much for the diploma which gave them leverage.

@OP, Go for Agric and never let go of your dream for Medicine. Take next UME. You know what, finance will come. For every Vision, God makes provision.

6 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by corruptst(m): 3:20am On Jan 06, 2014
fattbabakay: On a candid note,MEDICINE isn't meant 4 average students,coz I wonder how on earth u cud opt 4 MEDICINE nd stil scorin below 250 in UTME...I'd rather u went 4 AGRIC coz if it wer 2 be strict varsites lyk OAU,u won't be offered anytin atall!!!shalom!!!
U seem not to know what u r saying. My years in medical school taught me dt it's consistency, diligence n discipline dt really matters. Average students fare more better dn we d so-called geniuses.

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by weezyarmani: 5:45am On Jan 06, 2014
want admission to study medicine in russia
want to get quality education at an affordable rate
add me up on bbm 74BC2831
admission is sure and medicine is 6 years
Re: should i study agric? by JewelBukky(f): 6:32am On Jan 06, 2014
Have learnt a lot here. Good advice and comments so far. So Obi, I suggest u go wv dt wic ur mind chooses best frm d abv comments and pray over it. Let God's will be done!

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by 1stUnique(m): 7:42am On Jan 06, 2014
they best advice I have read so far are those who ask d guy to go for agric because u never know wat d next jamb will be... and never let go of ur medical dream because dats where u will find satisfaction.
those that say medicine isn't for average student, I would like to disagree with you cos even if u are doing the simplest course and u have no passion for it. you might perform bad in it... while no matter how hard a course is, as long as its what u desire for, what u dream of. u will surely b able to cope..
my humble opinion sirs......

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by AbdulQ1(m): 1:38pm On Jan 06, 2014
I am an Agricultural graduate, believe I had the same problems like you too. I wanted engineering too or pharmacy. Today am a graduate of Crop Production. Brother don't let anyone scare you this is Nigeria. think about it have faith and de3cide to be good in it. how many doctors are out there but are just quacks who keep killing people.

I don't blame most you it's because of the oil boom and Nigeria's lackluster towards supporting Agriculture that's making you talk in this direction. Brother would you study Agriculture, be good in it, have a good result or read the course you want face though challenges and with a poor result. I don't wish you so though.

Today in Nigeria, I know of a bank manager who studied Agriculture and he is doing better in that area where did he get the brain. don't forget this is what they tell you in Nigeria. do you have a good result? what course did you study? but nobody cares how good you are in that field. Agriculture could be where your potential really lies, you would not know now, until you've ,missed it. Am a 2.1 graduate in that area my friends who went for engineering and co=, can't compare their results with me, and to make it worse I am doing very good in the Agriculture because I choose to be good in it. I did interviews even before finishing service and they were good.

don't forget Agriculture has very good potential and future prospects. look at it today most of the richest men in the world invested in Agriculture. don't worry about the stigma I faced it too. follow me on twitter @Abdul_Q1. Or WATS APP. 08183658262. I WOULD ADVICE YOU MORE ON THIS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOU CHOICE
Re: should i study agric? by Chicjennie(f): 5:19pm On Jan 06, 2014
If it's ur passion to study Medicine, then I have no option but very many doctors today are not well paid. I know people who were denied Medicine and are very wealthy bankers and business men today. My elder brother wanted to study Medicine, he eventually got it and spent 10 years in School. Today, I am a banker, have my Masters and is even a Chartered Accountant while my elder brother is just doing his Houseman-ship. He even begs me for money sef. My Dear, follow ur heart sha. I know it may seem disappointing now but God has good plans for you. Keep praying and seek God's directions! Cheers.

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by fattbabakay(m): 2:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
Timothy3113: haba guy y now. Let me give u an advise frm experienc dnt choose popular shool like uniben unilag e.t.c. It is hard to get there admission. It wil be a race of the survival wil be the fittest. But u can go to state university. And also i will advise to go and do predegree. I av a broda he s a dulard back then in secondary skul. He scored 193 in s jamb he got c6 paralel in waec. But stil adhere to vision by taking pd. He worked hard eventually they gav im medicin tru pd. So your focus and hw determind will help u
u tink a dullard can cope in medicine
Re: should i study agric? by fattbabakay(m): 2:05pm On Jan 07, 2014
corruptst:
U seem not to know what u r saying. My years in medical school taught me dt it's consistency, diligence n discipline dt really matters. Average students fare more better dn we d so-called geniuses.
huh! U're really a genius??Hw cum u're talkin #shit??
Re: should i study agric? by AdekunleIG(m): 9:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
Abdul_Q1: I am an Agricultural graduate, believe I had the same problems like you too. I wanted engineering too or pharmacy. Today am a graduate of Crop Production. Brother don't let anyone scare you this is Nigeria. think about it have faith and de3cide to be good in it. how many doctors are out there but are just quacks who keep killing people.

I don't blame most you it's because of the oil boom and Nigeria's lackluster towards supporting Agriculture that's making you talk in this direction. Brother would you study Agriculture, be good in it, have a good result or read the course you want face though challenges and with a poor result. I don't wish you so though.

Today in Nigeria, I know of a bank manager who studied Agriculture and he is doing better in that area where did he get the brain. don't forget this is what they tell you in Nigeria. do you have a good result? what course did you study? but nobody cares how good you are in that field. Agriculture could be where your potential really lies, you would not know now, until you've ,missed it. Am a 2.1 graduate in that area my friends who went for engineering and co=, can't compare their results with me, and to make it worse I am doing very good in the Agriculture because I choose to be good in it. I did interviews even before finishing service and they were good.

don't forget Agriculture has very good potential and future prospects. look at it today most of the richest men in the world invested in Agriculture. don't worry about the stigma I faced it too. follow me on twitter @Abdul_Q1. Or WATS APP. 08183658262. I WOULD ADVICE YOU MORE ON THIS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOU CHOICE

Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 08, 2014
Hmmmmmm! Really learnt sooooooooo much!!!!!!!!
Re: should i study agric? by Obinnau(m): 4:13pm On Feb 23, 2015
time is the best teacher!! loving what am doing.

Re: should i study agric? by Babba: 1:47pm On Sep 01, 2015
cherrykim:
see my profile. B.agric in Economics, M.Sc in Agric Economics,ICAN,CCNP. Now Economist & financial analyst with World bank. Wat else?
Iwant to study agric or agric extension, so whch one wil u advice me to go for.
Re: should i study agric? by Obinnau(m): 7:55am On Sep 02, 2015
Babba:
go for general agric as extension is also included in general agric. that way you get to touch all areas of agriculture
Re: should i study agric? by Champella(m): 8:03am On Sep 02, 2015
Babba:

Go to the University of Uyo (UNIUYO) and study it as Agricultural Economics and Extension at the undergraduate level. It's a 5 year course.

In your 100 level, you'll offer purely Science based courses like - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology.

You will also offer some General Studies courses with the code GST. Some of them are - Use of English, Philosophy, Entrepreneuship, etc.

In your 200 level, you'll be introduced to all the Agricultural disciplines - Forestry, Home Economics, Food Science and Technology, Soil Science, Crop Science, Animal Science, Fisheries and Aquaculture.

Your 300 level will be narrowed down to four disciplines - Agricultural Economics and Extension, Animal Science, Crop Science, Soil Science. These four departments are awarded a Bachelor of Agriculture (B.Agric) upon graduation.

Your 4th year is the Internship year where you will be taught more on the four disciplines i mentioned in your 3rd year. There will be a Seminar for this level. The faculty may decide to send you to farms outside the school. 2 sets have been sent to the Shongai Farm in Rivers State.

The 5th year will be stictly departmental courses. Some of them are - Econometrics, Technological Change in Agriculture, Production Economics, Agriculral Economics Analysis I & II, etc

There will be a Seminar in both semesters. The 1st semester Seminar is the - Pre-field Seminar. It's a kind of Proposal which comprises of Chapters 1 - 3.

The 2nd semester Seminar is the Post field Seminar which is your Chapters 4 and 5. Thereafter, you'll defend your Project in the presence of an External Examiner.

Generally, you'll be taught on Agriculral Economics and Agricultural Extension to widen your knowledge on these two fields. It's at your M.Sc level that you will specialize.

In terms of chances of admission, it's easier compared to other disciplines like - Medicine & Surgery, Engineering, Law, Pharmacy, etc

However, once you get in you will find out that this faculty is not a walk in the park.

I believe this will help a bit

Good luck! cool
Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 24, 2016
Joshkeyz:
as am talking to u nw.am from udusok.am a pharmacy studnt.agric was wat they gave me 2.dat is wat they gv to non indigenes dat did wel.as 4 me.i applied 4 change of course.nd it workd.
pls is it at 100 level or 200 level that you changed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Warriboy Graduated With Distinction In Masters In I.T Indiana USA (pics)(vids) / My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) / Professor Bose Afolabi Wins $2.5 Million Bill Gates Grant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.