Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,592 members, 7,968,721 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 11:54 AM

Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? (5470 Views)

Must I Befriend My Husband Mistress Before There Will Be Peace In My Home? / Hear What A Mother Told Her Daughter On Her Wedding Day / Must I Marry Her Because Of Pregnancy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by spora1: 2:05am On Aug 08, 2008
My wife was delivered of a baby girl through IOL (Induction of Labour) cry

She was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia (an illness that sometimes occurs during the later stages of pregnancy and involves high blood pressure and convulsions, sometimes followed by a coma) and in order not to jeopardise the health of the mother and the baby, we subscribe to induced labour. The pregnancy was about 35 weeks.

There was therefore a need for the baby to be placed in the incubator during which it was only the mother that was allow to see her every three hours. Even me wey be planter has had that privilege only once.

Now, my girl will not be released until the hospital feels, she is strong enough.

Even though my wife and I (and our families) are nover bothered by this, some realations are saying she must be named on the eighth day! Others in similar circumstance, do so in the hospital premises but with the baby in absentia.

My pastor friend has been the chief protagonist, citing bible passages to back up his claims. Even though when I checked his references, I could only see that it was only talking about circumcision (on the 8th) as contained in Gen 21: 2-4 and Luke 1:59 in the case of Isaac and John respectively.

Now, my question, is it compulsory to name a child on the 8th day most especially since I'd already named my daughter since the first month of pregnancy wink Why can't this be postponed until the baby is strong enough and everybody is back home for a full owambe?

Is this 8th day naming stuff religious or cultural? Is it compulsory?
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by Seun(m): 2:09am On Aug 08, 2008
Everything that concerns your child is the choice of you and your wife. The pastor can say what he likes.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by dejiman1: 2:24am On Aug 08, 2008
The impact of clergy people in NIGERIA as really contributed alot. I believe parents should do what pleases them. I understand that some ecthnic doesn't name their children after the 8th day.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by Godalone(m): 1:40pm On Aug 08, 2008
You and your wife have the final say,don't listen to anybody.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by sistajay(f): 1:49pm On Aug 08, 2008
The decision is yours.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by ssRhino: 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2008
name the child whenever you feel like.
rhino is a nice name, give it to ur child jare.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by Nobody: 2:06am On Aug 09, 2008
my uncle refused to name his child until well after mother and daughter were back home, well past the 8th day. Its a tradition that has no basis in the bible, don't let your "pastor" fool you.

Even Jesus Christ and John the Baptist were named before they were born.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2008
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by English1(f): 12:53am On Jan 05, 2010
It's cultural, not religious.

It's not the tradition in the rest of the christian world.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by mamagee3(f): 1:25am On Jan 05, 2010
Naming a baby should come after few days or weeks.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by Fhemmmy: 2:08am On Jan 05, 2010
You dont have to do anything.
Do what you feel is right to you, na ur pikin and na u be him papa . . . it is your call. scrwe the culture.
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by echobee(f): 11:48am On Jan 05, 2010
i agree with u.wetin concern pator?
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by N101: 11:31pm On Jan 05, 2010
The baby must be over a year old now. I wonder what they did in the end?
Re: Must I Name My Daughter On The 8th Day? by agathamari(f): 5:39pm On Jan 06, 2010
i have never heard of this "christian" tradition.

(1) (Reply)

Notable Quotes By The Legendary Chris Rock About Women / Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? / My Dad Wants To Marry Again, A Yr After My Mums Demise. Advice Pls.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.