Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,892 members, 7,969,725 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 12:52 PM

Serving British Policeman Admits Lying In Order To Bring Down Serving British MP - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Serving British Policeman Admits Lying In Order To Bring Down Serving British MP (403 Views)

Are more British-born Nigerians moving back to Nigeria ? / Mobil Producing Nigeria, Admits To Pay Comandclem's Royalties / What Is The Exchange Rate Of The British Pound To Nigerian Naira Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Serving British Policeman Admits Lying In Order To Bring Down Serving British MP by Ilekokonit: 12:22am On Jan 11, 2014
If a Serving member of the British Cabinet can be so brought down by the lies of a Serving British Policeman then nobody is safe from the "mafia" like gang up by so called public servants !!!

Scotland Yard in crisis as PC admits, 'I lied over the Plebgate affair': Commissioner's grovelling apology to ex-Chief Whip

Andrew Mitchell lost his job as the Conservative Party chief whip in the wake of the incident

Pc Keith Wallis had always said that he witnessed Downing Street row

Mr Mitchell has always denied using the word 'pleb' during the argument

Mr Mitchell said he was 'very pleased that justice has been done'

Wallis has offered to resign and pleaded guilty at first opportunity

By Stephen Wright and Tim Shipman

PUBLISHED: 11:08, 10 January 2014

Police officer Keith Wallis today admitted falsely claiming to have witnessed the Downing Street 'plebgate' incident

The Commissioner of the Metropolitan police apologised to former Cabinet minister Andrew Mitchell last night – after a serving police officer admitted that they had lied about ‘Plebgate’.

In what was described as ‘a black day for the Met’, PC Keith Wallis – who falsely claimed to have witnessed the infamous row between a colleague and Mr Mitchell – pleaded guilty to misconduct in public office.

The former Chief Whip said he was ‘pleased that justice had been done’ but said ‘serious questions remained’ over the conduct of the police.

The Prime Minister quickly rallied to support him, raising the prospect that Mr Mitchell could eventually return to frontline politics.

Mr Cameron said: ‘It is completely unacceptable for a serving police officer to falsify an account of any incident.

'Andrew Mitchell has consistently denied the version of events presented in the email and I welcome the fact that the officer concerned has now pleaded guilty.’

And Met Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe was forced to make a grovelling apology, after initially backing the officers involved in the affair.

Speaking in November 2012, Mr Hogan-Howe insisted that he was ‘100 per cent’ behind the officers, saying: ‘They accurately reported what happened. All the evidence I saw led me to think it was accurate.

‘I believe my officers. They had no reason to lie.’

But in an embarrassing climbdown, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said Wallis, 53, had fallen ‘way below’ the standards expected of officers.

Conservative MP Andrew Mitchell was forced to resign as the party's chief whip following claims that he labelled Downing Street police officers 'plebs'. He has always denied the claims

Pc Keith Wallis sent an email to his MP, the deputy chief whip John Randall, falsely claiming to have witnessed the Downing Street row.

MPs have demanded to know why the Met Chief had been so quick to back the officers’ version of events.

Conservative Michael Ellis, who sits on the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee, said it was a ‘major crisis for the Metropolitan Police’.

Asked whether the affair had become a ‘major crisis’ for the Met, Croydon South MP Sir Richard said: ‘We now have firm evidence that a police officer has lied to bring down a cabinet officer and a huge injustice has been done.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537093/Police-officer-lied-witnessing-Andrew-Mitchell-plebgate-incident-admits-misconduct-public-office.html#ixzz2q2XqyNic

(1) (Reply)

Company Registration / Withdraw From Paypal / LET The World Hear About Your Business !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.