Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,345 members, 7,897,555 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 03:53 PM

Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told (5189 Views)

HOAX Alert!!!: NASA Didnt Discover Any Tablet On Mars. / Is Religion A Business? / The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by KarmaMod(f): 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2008
I was hoping you'd reply naijacutee's post, Sisi
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Sisikill: 9:20pm On Aug 15, 2008
KarmaMod:

LMAO! I won't lie to you, I stopped reading after I saw "In addition to Davidylan's post". I figured okay, since it's clear David and I didn't see eye to eye on this issue. . . why bother? I'm not here to go 10 rounds in circles, trying to debunk or rubbish other people's belief, I post things I find interesting to see what others think about it and I'm not here to change people's minds on anything besides this is not the literature or romance section. cheesy

But if you want I can, you know. . . wink
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Sisikill: 9:42pm On Aug 15, 2008
You know what. . . Scratch the not seeing eye to eye part, I think it more like he has already concluded on what I'm about and I'm kinda too lazy to care to change his mind.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by KarmaMod(f): 9:43pm On Aug 15, 2008
That's why I said reply naijacutee not david

Im wiating o *taps foot*
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2008
Sisikill:

You know what. . . Scratch the not seeing eye to eye part, I think it more like he has already concluded on what I'm about and I'm kind of too lazy to care to change his mind.

If you notice i also refrained from responding after that last post, most of your threads are really less about substance but about YOU. You shldnt make any effort to "change my mind" . . . its not necessary.

Kindly respond to KarmaMod without including my name pls.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by mazaje(m): 10:34pm On Aug 15, 2008
  If there is ever a stronger reason why i never hesitate to label most "athiests" here as hypocrites . . . there you have it in clear bold letters. There are more muslims than christians on earth, with the exception of the Vatican NO OTHER NATION on earth regards itself as exclusively a christian theocracy . . . on the other hand there are a multitude of Islamic republics . . . YET 98% of the venom from athiests who believe God (in whatever form or so they claim) does not exist is reserved exclusively for christianity . . . WHY?

Becaue most of your so called resident athiest were former christains who have read and studied the bible.i believe most of your so called resident athiest were never moslems. the only god they were exposed to was the god of the bible. i know nothing about hinduism, budahism etc in fact i have meet only three buddist all my life. 98% percent of venom you claim? or is that what really comes from athiest ? why do you choose to label it as venom? I have attacked islam so many times but the problem with moslems as you know is that once you post a thread on the islamic section you either get banned or no body will respond to you on the grounds that islam prohibits them from engaging in discussions where allah and his prophet are being ridiculed (questioning the existance of allah falls into such) and hence no one will like to engage you in any kind of such discussions. if moslems were as engaing as christains i bet there would be more than enough materials from your so called resident athiest against islam, but the fact that they don't engage as much as the christains based on the reasons i outlined is the only reason athiest don't attack them. no body wants to get banned or have his post left unattened to.

Mormons, Sango worshippers, buddhists, sikhs . . . all believe in some form of "god", an afterlife exclusive to adherents of the faith, a form of everlasting punishment for outsiders and some form of holy script . . . YET 99% of athiests are obsessed with the bible, heaven, hell, the 10 commandments . . . wHY?

as i aforementioned christianity is the only religion most of your so called resident athiest know very well because most were raised into the religion. besides its easier to get a copy of the bible and read while its harder to get a copy of the koran, some muslims even consider a non muslim handling the koran as a sacrilage. even when you lay your hands on the koran how can you read it? most of the versions are in arabic so most people discard it simply on that grounds alone. i have seen only two english translations of the koran all my life despite being a former muslim myself. 99% of the athiest you(davidylan) know are obsessed with the bible is what you are supposed to say not 99 percent of the athiest in the world, by the way how many athiest do you know? there are over a billion athiest and agnostics in the world so how many do you know? i have a female athiest friend who used to be a moslem and the only religion she attacks is islam because that is the only religion she knows and was very well exposed to, she hardly attacks christianity because the only knowledge of christianity she has is the one the koran and her imams thaught her, and there are millons like her the world over,  do you watch arabic television chanells? if you do you will understand what i am talking about because they sometimes invite arabic athiest(former muslims) and islamic scholars to debate issues on air so stop generalizing.

Sugar attracts multitudes of insects, an equal quantity of salt does not . . . WHY?

What is it about christianity, Jesus Christ and the bible that muslims, athiests, agnostics ALWAYS want to read about? What is it about the christian idea of heaven that is so different from that of the sikhs, buddhists or muslims that the athiest is so desperate to prove does not exist?

Could it be that despite all the public posturing, somehow the conscience of man knows the truth even though he may deny it?

WHY are there 10,000 theories struggling to explain away the life of Christ and NONE exists for the life of mohammad?

The choice my dears is yours.   

because christains are the only people that are still travelling the world over evangelising and trying to win 'souls' for christ by building schools, hospitals etc in other to win the minds and souls of the people they are trying to convert. hindus and moslems don't travel and evangelize hence people don't pay much attention to them as they do with christains. islam only supports and promotes the sustenance and survival of the moslem umma, unlike christains that keep travelling from place to place to preach to the unbelievers. christains are still the ones that preach in buses and in market places. even though i don see say moslems too don start these days for naija . moslems, hindus, jews, buddist etc just hold unto their own and don't go around knocking on doors every weekend sharing bibles, tracts and other materials that propagates their faith like the christains do. if they did they will recieve as much attention as the christains.

moslems are always trying to engage christains and jews because their religions were mentioned by name in the koran and it amuses them that christains are still practising and engaging in things that allah has denounced in the koran, they are always trying to understand the reason christians are still practsing and holding unto their faiths. muslims believe they worship the same god as christains so they get angry when christains say that allah has a son. they get furious when christains compare isa(jesus) to allah. they find it propesterous that people believe in such things that allah has denounced for that reason they always look into the bible because allah in the koran told them that he sent the bible uncorrpted but christains decided to corrupt it, so moslems are always trying to discredit the bible by using the bible to show to the christains that they are going against the will of allah simply because they believe that allah is the god that is being talked about in the bible besides they believe he sent the bible to jesus. The reasons i outlined are the only reason moslems are obsessed with the bible. moslems don't waste their time arguing with hindus because the koran did not denouce hinduism by name and allah did not tell them thah he gave the hindus their holy book besides the fact that there is no link between the koran and the hindu holy book. so stop deluding your self into thinking people are attracked to christianity because there is something 'really' good and special about it. take away all the reasons i outlined above and no body will give a dam about christianity.

with regards to mohammed the founders of islam prepared their religion better than christains with little ambiguity, mohammed's life and deeds were monitored and better documented than that of jesus. even amongst the diciples of christ their  were dicrepancies with regards to their versions and timing of events. this discrepancies gave room for questioning. but unlike the life of mohammed there we little or no discrepancies in the documentation of his life and deeds, if they were i believe they were all destroyed and the founders made sure that only one believable story was propagated unlike christianity that has so many loopholes.

NB

if christains were to stop evangelising (and seeking attention by going from door to door) to the world and behave like the other religions( who don't go from door to door trying to win 'souls',) i assure you that the religion will be dead in the next 100 years.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Sisikill: 10:52pm On Aug 15, 2008
@KarmaMod
Lol. . . Okay, okay go easy on the tapping. Sooo. . .

@Davidylan
Rotflmao. . . My God, you truly are wonderfully made. Most of my threads are about me? Lmao! I can see why you'd say that, I mean there is no doubt the thread about the school girls getting raped, was totally me projecting and the one about Bernie Mac dying is because I wished to take his place, oh the with the movie curse. . . Yep, can't deny what that is all about.

LMAO. . . See, now THAT is exactly why I like reading your posts, you always have a way of taking things to a whole other playing field, it's quite educational, I must say.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Skywalker5(m): 11:08pm On Aug 15, 2008
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed PLEASE STOP THIS.YOU GUYS ARE SCARING ME embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by naijacutee(f): 9:15am On Aug 16, 2008
KarmaMod:

I've been waiting for a response too, Sisi but it's ok. I'll try not to mention davidylan anymore, even though I respect him a lot.

mazaje:

Becaue most of your so called resident athiest were former christains who have read and studied the bible.

I've read your post, but I don't want to take up space, so I just quoted the first line. Good argument there, I must say. However, on that note - Have you ever spoken to an ex-christian and asked why they pulled away? Nine times out of ten, they were having personal problems in their lives and when there seemed to be "no God", they decided to go on a soul-searching mission and "look for God" to appear-now-and-solve-my-problems-or-else. . . When God still didn't show up, they sulked and concluded that nobody was up there. Usually, they feel so intelligent with this newly-found-wisdom-of-the-nonexistence-of-God and they devote themselves to this new cause. Yes, some still read the Bible, but they read it as an criminals testimony - Their main aim is to shoot as many holes as they can into the themes, and collect as much evidence against christianity as they can. The ones who have gone deeper into atheism , finally make up their mind that the Bible isn't true, however Jesus did exist - howbeit, only for the purpose of teaching us the best way to live. They still read the Bible, but this time, they interpret it a different way. They now start looking for the "good" things in the Bible and saying "This has nothing to do with God, however, if someone slaps you and you turn the other cheek, it will show your strenght of character and control over your personal instincts". .    

Don't worry Jesus was a very good psychologist and he knew these things would come. He talked about them in Matthew 13:

"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means:When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20[b]The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time.[/b] When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful."

mazaje:
as i aforementioned christianity is the only religion most of your so called resident athiest know very well because most were raised into the religion. besides its easier to get a copy of the bible and read while its harder to get a copy of the koran, some muslims even consider a non muslim handling the koran as a sacrilage.

Having talked about atheists who were raised into christianity, and pulled away, lets move to other religions. I do understand the point behind many Islamic teachings. Since the three main religions which give an explanation of how the earth was created (that I know of) stem from the same origin, then I guess anyone who is questioning the origin of christianity would also be questioning the origin of Islam and Judaism as well. Where the difference arises is where someone suddenly appears and says that he is God and he created the world, including those who were before "his time", and provides evidence to back up his claims. Furthermore, the christian claims are easily accessible and widely available for interrogation whenever you like.  If there are any claims made about Islam, they are not open for interrogation as they have the sword to defend the parts which do not hold water. As for other major religions (e.g buddhism, taoism, confusicianism, etc) - There is nothing to challenge because they are mostly based on human philosophies, not facts. They do believe in higher forces, but not in the same way that Christians, Muslims or Jews do - and therefore give nothing concrete to argue about, unless you want to challenge their ethics or culture. The Taoists for example believe that there is a "force and order behind nature". . . Does anyone disagree about that?
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Sisikill: 6:03pm On Aug 16, 2008
naijacutee:

I have long stopped replying to threads like these but please allow me indulge this once.

In addition to davidylan's post concerning people's obsession with God, can I just wonder why so many half-baked religious critics will stop at nothing to pick at straws, searching all corners of the internet for weak weapons of purposefully written jargon -  designed to spite religion, with particularly sharpened edges teasing at Christianity? Correct me if I'm wrong, but of all religious material that ever existed, never has any being so aggressively interrogated as the Bible - By people who read it with the doors of their minds firmly shut, while they skim through chapters, looking for sentences to add to their "evidence book". If you ask me, I will revert to the proverb "Around a flowering tree, one finds many insects." There must be something in this flowering tree called Christianity, that is pricking the minds of many, and has brought many insects from far and wide - right from when Jesus was 2!.

As for the person who was talking about God demanding money: When pastors collect 5 offerings in church, and the next day you see them in flashy cars - wouldn't it be foolish to assume that "God" demanded your money? Just because the pastor said something, doesn't always mean that God said so - Maybe the pastor knew that by putting the word "God" in the same sentence as "give", he would get more donations? He's human and used his brain, and position to collect your money and you are calling God into the situation? Why don't you use your own brain and position as the owner of the said monies, to judge how God really wants you to use your money for Him?

A Hint of how to give to God from the horses mouth:
(Matthew 25)
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

P.S: It is good you put the word  "truth" in quotes.

As soon as I finished reading your post, I went “Drats! I think I may have shot myself in the foot”  because apart from two points I'll talk about, I agree with you, especially on the money giving part.

Before I go into that, I have to say how GLAD I am you noticed the “Truth” in quotes because I did that to show where I stood, unfortunately some people didn’t get it and that’s why I was automatically classified as someone without God. To be quite honest, I found this really funny. LOL, Oh my, now that would make things so a lot easier. . . to be able to tell who is Godful [/i]and who is [i]Godless based by what they post on a forum. On the other hand, I suppose we should be grateful this isn’t the way God will choose his people coz I imagine he’s gonna walk away with just a handful.

The two things I mentioned kinda go hand in hand, You said you had stopped replying threads like this and you also used the word CRITIC. I suppose it’s because you think anyone who posts thread like this is a critic, that you have stopped replying and I honestly don’t blame you. I’ve read this section long enough to know what goes on, I realize everyone gets worn down by the constant attacks on the net and at times in our day to day lives, but we cannot assume everyone is out to attack our faith and be so defensive all the time. There are some who genuinely want to know things, now I’m not saying people MUST answer them, all I’m saying is IF anyone  chooses to answer, don’t automatically assume they are Godless or have sinister motives If the purpose is to bring others to God/Allah and IF it is truly about caring for the salvation of others, If it is genuine concern shouldn’t the approach be kinder to leading them to the truth? If the intent is to correct wrong thinking, inaccurate data, shine the light on the word of God, we won’t be having as many arguments as we do on this section, maybe I’m naive but this is what I truly believe. In my opinion, the problem comes not from our different belief system but from people trying to get one over the other, playing verbal like a tennis match, for some people the only way they can feel “up” is to put others down and if you take an even closer look, you’ll see that for some, it is no longer about defending God or Allah or Jesus or Mohammed or The Church or The mosque or the Vatican and the Pope, it’s more about flexing their extra-ordinary prowess in quoting the Koran/Bible

While surfing the net, trying to learn more on the Sun God and I stumbled on a website (I’ll try to find the link later and post it) where a heated debate between two groups was in progress. On one hand, were the Jesus is the sun god and it has been astrologically proven and on the other side were the Jesus is not a sun god and it's just a coincidence that they share birthdays.  This argument had gone on for months with people attacking each other, finally this person comes on and says “Jesus can’t be the sun god, astrology does not play a part in the story of his birth because Jesus was not born on December 25th, that day was chosen to stomp out the pagan celebration of the sun gods” he also provided some sources and just like that he brought the entire argument to halt. Of course people being people, there were posts after his calling him all sorts, getting personal but he never responded. A month or so after, someone came back with more questions and he gladly supplied them to the best of his ability., showing how easy to differentiate between knowledge seekers and trouble makers and how to handle them. Why am I saying this, I guess in a way, I’m trying to convince you not to ignore these threads because you think it must have been started by a critic/trouble maker. . .  you never know who is reading. You said it yourself, Christianity has been put through the ringer countless times, in every which way and it has always come out on top. Honestly, to me this is EXACTLY why there’s no reason to get overly defensive, this is the reason why Christians should not feel threatened by other religions or beliefs. People with greater knowledge, greater resources. . . Greater everything have been there and what do they have to show for it?

I like your proverb "Around a flowering tree, one finds many insects” and how you related to Christianity. There must be something flowing about Christianity, that’s why people are always picking it apart, while turning a blind eye to the other religions. If indeed, this is true and there are more people trying to debunk Christianity than all the other religions, then I’m sorry but why do some Christians take offense it? LOL, don’t you see, that is should be the ULTIMATE sign that there is something good in there. How many people waste time on inconsequential things? Why would anyone want to? LOL, Do you see what I mean?

There’s no denying I have issues with religion but it comes from what people do in the name of religion. I feel religion separates us as human beings. What I find truly ironic is that people use “Defending Religions ”  (thinking it is the same thing as Defending GOD) as an excuse to be mean, rude and downright nasty to other people when at the end of the day, Religions is just a path to God. . . Who does not need us to defend him, in the first place.

Just to be clear, I started this thread because I found the topic interesting and wanted to read other people thoughts on it. I did not come to go 10 rounds in the ring with anyone, I have no interest in trying to change anyone’s belief, I don’t feel I’m adequately equipped to say who will make it to heaven and who won’t make it. Don’t get me wrong, there are other areas of life where I don’t mind getting down and dirty, where I actually do look forward to it but not here, definitely not here and if it means I lack substance, well stick a label on me and I call me whatever the heck someone lacking substance is called. . . I promise I’ll even answer.  grin

Well that’s it for me.

PS
I used Critic/Trouble Maker because I went on the assumption that you mean people whose intentions are to disrupt, dismiss and demean.

KarmMod
Am I out of the dog house now?
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by KarmaMod(f): 7:42am On Aug 17, 2008
Took you long enough tongue but yes you are.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by PastorAIO: 7:13pm On Aug 18, 2008
please check dis

I’ve heard repeated here several times that Horus, an Egyptian god, is carbon copy of Jesus. The obvious implication by those that have made this statement is that Jesus is a copycat version of an earlier Egyptian deity. The purpose of this entry is to disembowel that proposition once and for all.
When I first heard that Horus was the inspiration for Jesus several years ago, I didn’t give it much credence because I couldn’t establish any source material for the claims. I still can’t, but the internet is as adept at allowing anybody and everybody to pass on misinformation.

Upon further research, I’ve concluded that this theory originated with Gerald Massey, an English poet, born 1828, died 1927. He published primarily poems, but had an interest in Egypt. He parlayed that interest in Egypt into several books and lectures in which he set forth the proposition that Horus was in essence the first Jesus, and Jesus was a cheap imitation. The primary basis for his writing is the Egyptian Book of the Dead. This is available on-line and you can easily look it up to read it yourself. Be forewarned that forced reading of this would be an extremely efficient form of torture.

It should be noted that Massey’s actual proposition was that Jesus was a copycat from more than just Horus. According to Massey, Jesus was a compilation of an innumerable number of Egyptian deities. There were over 2,000 deities who had every human and godlike characteristic one can think of, excepting Superman’s power to stop a speeding bullet.
Since Massey, there is a dearth of anybody with any credentials that has adopted a straight Horus=Jesus theory. There is a one individual that has adopted some of Massey’s thoughts and incorporated them into a book-The Christ Conspiracy. This appears to be the basis for the claims that I see. The author is Acharya S. Her website is http://www.truthbeknown.com I note that Richard Price, a noted Christ Myther, and one that I take much more seriously then Acharya, said the following:

“Those of use who uphold any version of the controversial Christ Myth theory find ourselves immediately the object not just of criticism, but even of ridicule. And it causes us chagrin to be lumped together with certain writers with whom we share the Christ Myth butt little else,

His other criticism, like mine, is that she uses very dated sources (19th Century) who were in Price’s words “eccentrics, freethinkers, and theosophists.”
Les, I am using your post from 1/3/05 as an example of the claims because you carry more credibility than most. That said here are the claims and what I have found:

Claim #1-Horus and Jesus are born from a virgin.

Horus’s mother is Isis. Isis was married to Osiris. We do not know for what length of time, but presumably the marriage was consummated. Whether it was or wasn’t doesn’t matter though. After Osiris is killed, Isis puts him back together again (he was hacked into 14 pieces) except for his penis which was tossed in a river or a lake. Iris fashions a substitute penis for him, humps him and here comes Horus. There is nothing virginal about that.

Claim #2-Both Horus and Jesus were born to a Mary and Joseph. (Seb)

As noted Isis is Horus’s mother’s name not Mary. In addition, Seb is not Horus’s father, Osiris is. Seb is Osiris’s father. Further, Seb is a distinct name from Joseph. Putting them side by side does not make them synonyms, and that appears to be what was done here.

Claim #3-Both were born of royal descent.

This is accurate.

Claim #4-Both births were announced by angels and witnessed by shepherds.

I can find nothing that mentions that the birth of Horus was announced by an angel or witnessed by shepherds. I have found that Horus was born in a swamp, which is a pretty unlikely place for shepherds. In addition Acharya mentions that Horus was born in a cave. Massey makes no mention of this, although he does represent that Mithra was born in a cave.

Claim #5-Both were heralded by stars and angels.

There is no star that heralded Horus’s birth nor is there any angel announcing it. Archarya in a footnote in The Origins of Christianity indicates that that there are three stars named the three kings in Orion and then relates this to the birth of Jesus. When we look to the stories regarding Horus, we find no star or angel announcing his birth. To the extent that Acharya S relies upon Massey and Massey relies upon what is depicted in the panels at Luxor see (from an atheist) further regarding virgin birth and pronouncement by angels http://www.frontline-apologetics.com/carrier_luxor_inscription.htm

Claim #6-Both had later visitors (Horus-3 deities and Jesus-3 wisemen.)

There is no indication that there ever were 3 wisemen. The bible never mentions the number of wisemen, nor is there any document that reflects 3 deities at the birth of Horus. See the website referenced in Claim #5.

Claim #7-Both had murder plots against them.

There is mention that Seth did want to kill Horus, and Herod wanted to kill Jesus. so this is accurate.

Claim#8-Both came of age at 12, were baptized and their baptizers were executed.

There is no indication that Horus was preaching in a temple when he was 12. In fact, Massey indicates that Hours the child was depicted as a “weakling.” That doesn’t jive with story of Jesus preaching in the temple. Again this appears to have been a confabulation from Acharya and repeated by others.

Horus was never baptized in any of the Horus stories. In addition, Acharya mentions that John the Baptist is actually Anup the Baptizer. This individual is never mentioned anywhere in any Horus account. There is not even a footnote in Archaya’s on-line work The Origins of Christianity to support this. There is nothing.

Claim #9-Both had 12 disciples.

According to the Horus accounts, Horus had four semi-gods that were followers. There is some indication of 16 human followers and an unknown number of blacksmiths that went into battle with him. Horus did not have 12 disciples. Jesus reportedly did. Acharya failed to give a footnote to support this.

Massey points to a mural in the Book of Hades in which there are twelve reapers. Horus is not present in this scene. For Massey to make this connection he goes to a different scene within the same mural. In this scene there is a picture of a god whose name is the Master of Joy. Horus is never depicted although in other murals the artists do depict Horus. Had the artists ascribed 12 reapers in any relation to Horus all they had to do was put Horus at the scene. They did not.

Claim #10-Both walked on water.

Horus didn’t, or at least there is no record that I can find that he did. Massey does not maintain that Hours did. Massey uses wild conjecture to connect the story of fish man, Oannes, not Horus, to Jesus. Oannes came out of the sea during the day, and went back into the sea at night. Massey makes the two analogous because by his calculations, Jesus walked on water during the day.

As to Acharya, she as usual provides nothing to substantiate this.

Claim #11-Both performed miracles.

This is true although the miracles were different in scope and nature.

Claim #12 Both exorcised demons and raised Lazarus.

The actual claim is that Horus raised Osiris from the dead and that the name Osiris morphed to Lazarus. It doesn’t matter because Horus did not bring Osiris back to life. There is no mention of this in any document regarding the story. Horus did avenge Osiris’s death, but that did not raise Osiris from the dead.

Claim #13-Both held a Sermon on the Mount; both were transfigured on a mountain, died by crucifixion along with two thieves and were buried in tombs where they paid a quick visit to Hell and then rose from the dead after 3 days time, both resurrections were witness by women, and both will supposedly reign for 1,000 years in the Millennium.

These are the most damning claims if they were proven true in my opinion. Yet, I can locate none of this. No sermon, no transfiguration, certainly no crucifixion w/ two thieves, no trip to hell and no resurrection. There was an incident in which Horus was torn to pieces and Iris requested the crocodile god to fish him out of the water he was tossed into, which was done, but that’s it. I am at a loss to refute this because I can not find anything to support it.

Massey does compares a story about the Autumn Equinox related to Osiris, not Horus, as the symbolic crucifixion. There is no indication that Horus is involved in any way. There is no mention by Massey of any Sermon on the Mount. No mention or any actual crucifixion, no two thieves, no burial in a tomb. Massey does not maintain that anything of the sort occurred with Horus.

In short, of the claims outlined in this entry, I find the comparison between Horus and Jesus to consist of the following: they were of royal descent, they allegedly worked miracles and there were murder plots against them.

From here:http://stupidevilbastard.com/index/seb/comments/ending_the_myth_of_horus/
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by PastorAIO: 7:15pm On Aug 18, 2008
It seems that as just about anybody can make a film and write a book these days not to mention the internet making it easy for the proliferation of all sorts of information, rubbish and truth, it is all the more important to follow claims, references and citations to the very end.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Sisikill: 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2008
Pastor AIO:

It seems that as just about anybody can make a film and write a book these days not to mention the internet making it easy for the proliferation of all sorts of information, rubbish and truth, it is all the more important to follow claims, references and citations to the very end.

Absolutely! I was just getting ready to post some videos I came across on youtube when I saw your post.

Zeitgeist's Claims Debunked (1 of 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QAhrC3nG5E&feature=related

Zeitgeist's Claims Debunked (2 of 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDab5MOLjpM&feature=related

You mentioned Acharya. . . who i guess some consider the master mind behind this Jesus-Horus story. Here's a video of her refuting the refution (don't know if there's a word like that) tongue of her story,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_9ZyddjaM4&feature=related

Thanks for the article. . . this was what I hoped we would do with this thread.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Condom: 8:10pm On Aug 18, 2008
Dear Naijacutee,

You make so much sense. I want to kiss you and rub your feet.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:20pm On Aug 18, 2008
I wish we could just take a post and debate on the issue and 99% of the time here it almost always shift to personal attacks. I totally get your drift sisikill I cannot understand why some take it personal truth of the matter is we almost all come here with a position and we are not looking for anybody to change it true.
Your post has got loads of info I loved it, if I may ask though what do you think of christianity nowadays and this idea of go and read your bible yourself when obviously it would be difficult to understand most of it given the translations and context with which they were written.
I was reading about banned from the bible have you seen it?
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by Sisikill: 10:47pm On Aug 19, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

I wish we could just take a post and debate on the issue and 99% of the time here it almost always shift to personal attacks. I totally get your drift sisikill I cannot understand why some take it personal truth of the matter is we almost all come here with a position and we are not looking for anybody to change it true.

Your post has got loads of info I loved it, if I may ask though what do you think of christianity nowadays and this idea of go and read your bible yourself when obviously it would be difficult to understand most of it given the translations and context with which they were written.
I was reading about banned from the bible have you seen it?

Thank you and I’m glad you enjoyed it and for also proving one will not burst into flames from reading something contrary to ‘the doctrine”. . . Lol.

I enjoy history, my one regret is that History was not made fun in our Nigerian Schools, instead we learnt about dates and months and who was wearing what and why! Ughhh!

Anyway, I find the whole looking at past to kinda see why we are here today thing really interesting. Sometimes I fear the old saying about Curiosity killing the cat will apply to me very soon.

Re: Banned from the Bible
I didn't read it, I saw it on the History Channel. If you are interested, I'm sure I can find a link with the complete video somewhere. . . this IS the internet. Lol.

My thought? I’ll quote one of the researchers feature on the program because I agree with her.

When we have only the cannon to work with, we tend to see early Christianity very narrowing-ly but the reality is when we go back, when we look at just this amazing variety of texts, then we understand that people had various different ways of looking at who Jesus was, what is relationship to God was, what is relationship to the individual believer was and that to me is the tremendous loss of only having a select few books which have traveled through history in the Cannon

My feeling about the whole go study your Bible yourself. . . comes in two folds. There have been times when I read something and I come to a conclusion so far from the "normal or widely accepted interpretation" I'm left wondering if I missed something but then I think, well. . . maybe this isn't a bad thing, after all we are supposed to have individual relationship with God, right and if the Bible is is way of communicating with us, then it only makes sense we all get different messages.

In theory, yeah that make sense but how many people do you think have the guts to voice their own interpretation of God's message? Not a lot, so what happens is we all follow one person's interpretation (The Pastors). You see. . . . undecided

Let me know about the Video.
Re: Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told by manmustwac(m): 11:42pm On Aug 19, 2008
@post
of course religion is a hoax i always knew it was a hoax?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Christian Women Wear Pants? / Why I Quit Being A Muslim / Sunday Worship Is The "mark Of The Beast" And Sabbath Is The Seal Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.