Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,051 members, 7,966,853 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 05:21 AM

Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta (779 Views)

Delta Chief-Judge, Marshal Umukoro Infiltrates Election Tribunal With N3Bln - SR / Jonathan'll Declare A Marshal Plan To Rebuild North East When Re-elected- Mu’azu / US Federal Air Marshal Attacked With Syringe In Lagos Airport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by bilymuse: 11:10am On Aug 16, 2008
[size=15pt]IBB Recommends Marshal Plan for N/Delta[/size]

From Chuks Okocha in Abuja, 08.16.2008

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

Former Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida, under whose administration the agitation for the development of the Niger Delta and a greater stake in the nation’s oil wealth first started in 1991, yesterday in Abuja said only the adoption of a Marshal Plan by the Federal Government can put an end to the on going crisis in the Niger Delta.
Babangida who spoke during the 60th birthday lecture held for former governor of Rivers State, Dr. Peter Odili said any further delay in addressing the Niger Delta problems would be too costly for the nation.
The former president, whose speech was delivered by Dr. Amadu Abubakar, said: “I believe that the solution to the problems of the Niger Delta should be sustained massive development based on a Marshal Plan.
“It is crucial that we respond proactively, promptly and honestly to the Niger Delta situation, before it is too late.”
He also appealed to all stakeholders to be sincere about the rapprochement and pursue the route of dialogue in the interest of all in the Niger Delta.
“Such development would reclaim the land, open up the hinterland, clean up the environment, empower the people, physically develop the rural areas, and enhance the quality of lives of its peoples.
“We all feel bad and worried about the widespread environmental degradation and are particularly concerned about its impact in the Niger Delta. We even feel worse about the neglect that led to the current crisis,” Babangida said.
The former military president also described the rule of law posture of President Umaru Yar’Adua as the foundation for equity and justice.
He made a comparative analysis of Nigeria today with the colonial days and said, “All is not lost. I was brought up to look at the brighter side of life. Therefore, I never see empty glasses. In the immensity of the challenges facing our dear country, what I see is a bright future. I see opportunities to give our people a better country.
“The economic successes of China and India came after many years of toil and sweat. The task of nation building is an arduous task with a life long struggle.”
Babangida urged Dr. Odili to use his years in politics to ensure a united Nigeria, as his forefathers shed blood to keep the country united.
In his response, Odili commended the rule of law policy of Yar’Adua, describing it as a foundation for equality and justice.
“For President Yar’Adua to make the rule of law the corner stone of his administration, this government is on the path of destiny. We join the army of those praying for this administration to succeed.
“Any dance step that begins with a good step is bound to survive. Yar’Adua’s dance step is good and would survive.”
A galaxy of politicians attended the birthday lecture, including the governors of Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo and Niger. The senate president, David Mark and the deputy senate president, Ike Ekweremadu were also in attendance.
The former chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Peoples democratic Party (PDP), Chief Anthony Anenih, the PDP BOT secretary and former governor of Nasarawa state, Alhaji Abdullahi Adamu, Minister of Special Duties, Godson Orubebe who represented President Yar’Adua, were also in attendance.

source:http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=119817
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by Jakumo(m): 11:35am On Aug 16, 2008
To show sincerity towards his proposed Niger Delta Marshall Plan initiative, Babangida should consider funding that project with a small 0.1% flea-bite from the monster fortune he stole during his stint as Nigerian military dictator.
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by tpia: 6:53pm On Aug 16, 2008
makes sense.

Pour funds into the Niger delta, and take the administration of the region out of the hands of the indigenous leaders. Appoint administrators from outside the area who can be held accountable for the parts under their control. Maybe someone with a military background.
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by Ibime(m): 7:31pm On Aug 16, 2008
who is IBB to lecture us on nation building? . . . I didn't even bother to read his write-up. . . soon as I read that he gave the speech at Odili's birthday, I stopped reading because Odili is an enemy of the Niger-Delta people and is currently on exile from Niger-Delta. . . . as for IBB, a military man only knows a military solution. . . .even Abacha gave more to the Niger Delta people than this murderer. . . . .If I remember correctly, oil derivation to the Niger-Delta during IBB's regime was cut to 1.5%. . . .when even that idiot Abacha raised it to 13%. . . so phock IBB and all he has to say.
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by tpia: 8:04pm On Aug 16, 2008
Ibime:

who is IBB to lecture us on nation building? . . . I didn't even bother to read his write-up. . . soon as I read that he gave the speech at Odili's birthday, I stopped reading because Odili is an enemy of the Niger-Delta people and is currently on exile from Niger-Delta. . . . as for IBB, a military man only knows a military solution. . . .even Abacha gave more to the Niger Delta people than this murderer. . . . .If I remember correctly, oil derivation to the Niger-Delta during IBB's regime was cut to 1.5%. . . .when even that idiot Abacha raised it to 13%. . . so phock IBB and all he has to say.

sometimes you learn more from your "enemies" than you do from your "friends". At least your enemies wont sugarcoat your problem like your friends will.

besides, there's a thin line between paranoia and genuine concern.
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by BigB11(m): 2:20am On Aug 17, 2008
When IBB talks, smart folks listen.

IBB has no match among your dumb dumb leaders.
Like him or hate him, IBB remains one of the major factors that determines Fed Govt daily activities in Nigeria today; and he will continue to reach out positively.
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by netotse(m): 2:29am On Aug 17, 2008
errrr, wots a marshal plan?

tpia:

makes sense.

Pour funds into the Niger delta, and take the administration of the region out of the hands of the indigenous leaders. Appoint administrators from outside the area who can be held accountable for the parts under their control. Maybe someone with a military background.

this is one of the smartest things i've heard in a while *i wonder why i didnt think of it first grin*
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by Arnold1(m): 2:33am On Aug 17, 2008
Has the federal govt fully funded the NDDC currently in place undecided

The ND people don't want a federally administered Marshall plan, they want to control their resources.

This is just a gimmick by IBB to retain the status quo.

The ND people are too smart to fall for IBB and his antics
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by netotse(m): 2:38am On Aug 17, 2008
i dont agree o, they've had their pple for more than 8 yrs and how far hv they gone? if they control it they wont do any better, it'll simply mean there's more money for their governors to steal, i can put my money on it!*bear in mind am a student!*
Re: Ibb Recommends Marshal Plan For N/delta by Arnold1(m): 2:46am On Aug 17, 2008
You do have a point @netotse.

The point I was trying to make was that the Marshall Plan wouldn't resolve the ND issue either. Remember,

the NDDC currently in place doesn't receive all its yearly budgeted allocations, so how can we be sure a

federal marshall plan would fare better ?

As far as the corruption among the ND governors, I blame the ND state house of assemblies, fair and
square. They have the power to impeach the governors for corruption, but how can they when
they are settled with money left and right ?

Most of the house members in the ND states are multimillionaires because the executive bribes them to
death.

I tire for this our country

(1) (Reply)

Niger Delta Communities Are Going Into Extinction! / Naval Convoy Beat-up Married Woman In Lagos / Nigeria's Political Books And Videos : Please Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.