Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,447 members, 7,964,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 09:40 PM

Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. (2123 Views)

ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States / Xenophobia: Nigeria To Demand N84m Damages From South Africa / Nigeria To Start Evacuating Citizens From South Africa On Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by TayoD1(m): 5:41pm On Aug 19, 2008
@Tornadoz,

If his move was foolish and tactless as you said, why support him? I don't watch Fox news hence I have an original thought of my own. I won't be a blatant cheerleader for wrong moves just because Foxnews says so.
I support his desire to maintain the territorail integrity of his country even though he went about it in an ineffective way. What Foxnews has got to do with this is beyond me. But maybe you need to watch some of Foxnews anyway so your thinking can be prodded beyond your current world-view.

Would you as president do nothing if (90% Russian) your people were attacked with artillery? Would America do the same if e.g a region in Mexico was attacked by the Mexican army with 90% white Americans?
This is Georgia fighting against rebel forces within its teritory. Russia should only have gone in to evacuate its citizens and not launch an offensive against a country who was only trying to protect itself from internal armed resistance. There were american citizens in Georgia when Russia attacked and all the US did was evacuate her citizens.
Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by RichyBlacK(m): 9:35pm On Aug 19, 2008
Tayo-D:

@RichyBlack and Tornadoz,

I really don't understand your point here. Why are you crucifying a man who took concrete steps to maintain the territorial integrity of his nation. Granted, the move was foolish and tactless, but the truth is that he would have achieved his aim if Russia did not come in and bully them. And please spare me the story that Russia was just protecting her citizens.

Here is a man who took his country from a lowly level to a point where they are ranked ahead of even Germany and all you can do is assail him for his non-diplomatic skills. He did in few years what our leaders in naija could not do in 50 and we are here talking down at him from the high horse of pride. Una do o.

@Tayo-D,

One question (asked in several ways):

1. Is it okay to kill hundreds of his own people, to "maintain the territorial integrity of his nation"?
2. To what extent is it justifiable to "maintain the territorial integrity of his nation"?
3. Are there any limits to what he is expected to/should/can/will do to "maintain the territorial integrity of his nation"?

Thanks.
Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by 4Play(m): 9:49pm On Aug 19, 2008
RichyBlacK:

@Tayo-D,

One question (asked in several ways):

1. Is it okay to kill hundreds of his own people, to "maintain the territorial integrity of his nation"?
2. To what extent is it justifiable to "maintain the territorial integrity of his nation"?
3. Are there any limits to what he is expected to/should/can/will do to "maintain the territorial integrity of his nation"?
Thanks.

I hope you have asked yourself these questions when defending Saddam who killed hundreds of thousands in his own nation,never mind those who he killed in neighboring states.

Presumably,Putin's actions in Chechnya,tens of thousands dead,prompted similar questions.

Any nation reserves the right to maintain its territorial integrity within boundaries recognized by international law. None of the dolts criticizing Georgia has even dared suggest that Georgia did something unlawful.
Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by Uche2nna(m): 9:51pm On Aug 19, 2008
The guy obviously lacks tact and diplomacy and as a Nigerian You might be hurt that your country is mentioned in such manner.

However, he needed a standard of reference to drive home a point and Nigeria provided one. If a different country was ranked with Georgia at the particular  time frame he was making reference to , I am sure he would not have mentioned Nigeria. I think it is about time we stopped getting sentimental and taking issues like this personal but rather look at the real reasons why we are referenced in the first instance.

I frown at his lack of tact and diplomacy but I can't say I would quarell with the veracity of his outbursts.
Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by RichyBlacK(m): 10:33pm On Aug 19, 2008
4 Play:

I hope you have asked yourself these questions when defending Saddam who killed hundreds of thousands in his own nation,never mind those who he killed in neighboring states.

Presumably,Putin's actions in Chechnya,tens of thousands dead,prompted similar questions.

Any nation reserves the right to maintain its territorial integrity within boundaries recognized by international law. None of the dolts criticizing Georgia has even dared suggest that Georgia did something unlawful.

Nna, but you for try answer the question na. Which ones? grin
Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by 4Play(m): 10:42pm On Aug 19, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Nna, but you for try answer the question na. Which ones?  grin

The questions are inane but have been answered by pointing out that Georgia,within the bounds of international law,reserves the right to defend its territorial integrity.

Is South Ossetia part of Georgian territory? Yes,this is universally recognised and was recently affirmed in April '08 by UNSC 1808.

Has Georgia acted in a manner incompatible with international law? No lucid person has alleged thus,instead,what we have been deluged with is inane comments about not 'provoking' Russia as if there is an internationally recognised legal obligation not to provoke Russia.
Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by Kobojunkie: 3:41pm On Aug 20, 2008
Uche2nna:

The guy obviously lacks tact and diplomacy and as a Nigerian You might be hurt that your country is mentioned in such manner.

However, he needed a standard of reference to drive home a point and Nigeria provided one. If a different country was ranked with Georgia at the particular time frame he was making reference to , I am sure he would not have mentioned Nigeria. I think it is about time we stopped getting sentimental and taking issues like this personal but rather look at the real reasons why we are referenced in the first instance.

I frown at his lack of tact and diplomacy but I can't say I would quarell with the veracity of his outbursts.

To the Statement in bold, well put!!!
Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by toshmann(m): 2:11pm On Aug 21, 2008
grin grin grin

truth hurts
Re: Georgia's President Derides Nigeria To Score Political Points. by tpia: 5:06pm On Aug 21, 2008
the man must have a reason for bringing Nigeria into the discussion.

Time will reveal what is currently hidden. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

The October Arab-israeli War Of 1973: What Happened? / Obama Says Muslims Are Not America's Enemy / Video: How KRET Richag-av, Russian Electronic Warfare Works In Real Life ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.