Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,418 members, 7,914,057 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 04:55 PM

Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? (1682 Views)

Patience Jonathan 'Died' For 7 Days In German Hospital / Governor Suntai Discharged From German Hospital / Patience Jonathan Back In Abuja From German Hospital (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by CyberG: 5:27pm On Aug 18, 2008
I am yet to read about any new or old, properly-functioning hospital or general improvement in healthcare in Nigeria since this man came back from his last visit to a German Hospital. Now, Nigerian money is on its way out again in multi-millions yet, nothing has been done for Nigerians who cannot afford this kind of foreign healthcare. Can you imagine if the countries he is going to are run the way Nigeria has been and is being run? Your guess is as good as mine - only his corpse will return!

Last View on Mon 18th August, 2008
Last Modified on Mon 18th August, 2008 9:34:35 am
Author: Posted by Admin Sahara
Saharareporters, New York

Facing yet another health crisis, Umaru Musa Yar'adua may be flown to a German-operated hospital in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. He will be treated for a few days at a Saudi-based German hospital known as Saudi German Hospital.

Mr. Yar’adua's present sickness has provided a public relations nightmare for his wife and closest aides who dread the political fallout of public knowledge that Yar’adua remains in fragile health condition. Last week Tuesday, Yar'adua canceled a meeting with newspaper publishers due to medical emergencies.

A reliable source within Aso Rock told Saharareporters that this concern with public perception led to a decision to announce Yar’adua’s medical trip to Saudi Arabia as a lesser hajj. Muslim fasting commences in two weeks time.

Yar'adua will not be traveling with his aides or his Nigerian doctor in order to make the trip appear like a private religious trip. He is expected to be away for one week starting from tonight.

Yar’adua, who was thrust into the presidency in last year’s massively rigged election, has been bedeviled by a series of health crises.

At the end of July 2008, Yar’adua collapsed in the presidential vehicle on his way to a launch at the Yar'adua Center in Abuja (named for his late elder brother). He was driven back to Aso Rock Villa, missing the ceremony he was to attend.

Dating back to his presidential campaign days, Yar’adua has been flown several times to Germany for treatment. But his present relapse has created a dilemma on how to embark on another international medical trip to Germany. His closest aides calculate that another emergency medical trip to Germany would be politically costly.

“The fear is that another medical trip to Germany might leave the impression that President Yar’adua is too physically ravaged to continue the day-to-day running of the country,” said a source close to the Yar’aduas.

Yar’adua’s wife, Turai Yar’adua, who is personally overseeing the campaign to influence Supreme Court justices to uphold her husband’s election, is particularly worried about any perception that her husband is too frail to continue in office, according to several of our sources. Mrs. Yar’adua has recently rebuffed pleas by some northern leaders to encourage her husband to endorse the idea of new presidential elections—and to announce his retreat from running. She has countered that, even if her husband dies in office, he would not be the first Nigerian ruler to do so, pointing to the case of Sani Abacha, the late military dictator.

The plan to fly Yar’adua to Saudi Arabia became the option once his inner circle decided that it would be politically damaging to return him to Germany to see his doctors.

Saharareporters has exclusively reported that Yar'adua suffers from Churg Strauss syndrome, a condition that kept him hospitalized in a hospital in Wiesbaden, Germany for 10 days last April.

Yar’adua’s medical treatments in Germany have also created a legal problem for Bilfinger Berger, the parent company of Julius Berger, Nigeria's biggest construction company with a reputation for corruption. German State investigators are poring over Bilfinger Berger’s financial documents over improper payments made to Nigerian public officials in relation to several construction projects.

According to published reports corroborated by officials of the Yar'adua regime, Julius Berger has been responsible for flying Yar'adua to hospital in Wiesbaden. Some of the hospital bills footed by Julius Berger are believed to be the subject of investigations and inquiry by the German police, BKA.

The Saudi German Hospital, where Yar’adua is to be treated, has three operational hospitals in different Saudi cities. The hospital’s locations are in Jeddah (with a 250-bed capacity), Asir (400 beds), and Riyadh (300 beds). The hospitals boast world-class facilities, including departments in Nephrology and Psychiatry.

Once his doctors in Saudi Arabia certify him fit enough, Yar’adua plans to embark on a state visit to Brazil and later the United Nations General Assembly in New York early September.

Saharareporters confirmed that Yar'adua would be headed for the Saudi German hospital in Jeddah by tonight or later tomorrow unaccompanied by his aides and personal physician so as to give the impression that his visit is private and religious.

POSTSCRIPT: The planned trip is currently on hold as controversy rages amongst his aides as the news of his latest health crisis is believed to have leaked to Saharareporters.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by Kobojunkie: 5:39pm On Aug 18, 2008
Unless he is bed ridden, I see no reason why his illness should get in the way of fulfilling his duties as president. He is free to go wherever he needs to, to get himself the care he needs, but he should start considering the many Nigerians who may be dealing with the same ailment but are unable to fly out of the country to get treatment.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by abdurrazaq(m): 6:02pm On Aug 18, 2008
Now He is planning to use Umrah and Hajj to cover up for his personal trip. Lying to the Nigerian masses, that doesn't speak well of a good leader either religiously and morally. angry sad
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by landis(m): 6:14pm On Aug 18, 2008
Unless he is bed ridden, I see no reason why his illness should get in the way of fulfilling his duties as presidentHow much is the medical allowance as President?

His problem started before becoming president.

Even to get employment in Banks, they check your medical record, how much more a president.

Nigerians should not be made to pay-the-bill of a sick Yaradau.

We have 150million people at least, there should be 1 healthy person who can be President.

It is not difficult to stop this nonsense. But Nigerians are spineless as ever.

Kudos for sahara-reporters for on-the-spot news reporting.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by Kobojunkie: 7:08pm On Aug 18, 2008
Well, since the Nigerian people decided to "VOTE" him in as president, even with knowledge of his health and all about his past as governor, I can only demand now that we not allow him excuses cause of such but demand he do his job regardless.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by cescky(m): 8:16pm On Aug 18, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Well, since the Nigerian people decided to "VOTE" him in as president, even with knowledge of his health and all about his past as governor, I can only demand now that we not allow him excuses cause of such but demand he do his job regardless.

vote who ? where? the man was never elected he was selected and imposed on the nation.
the mistake nigerians made was to "sidon look" and now the man" de sidon look" them dey complain grin grin grin
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by DisGuy: 8:39pm On Aug 18, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Exactly, they should have voted for Abubakar Atiku innit!
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by Kobojunkie: 8:57pm On Aug 18, 2008
cescky:

vote who ? where? the man was never elected he was selected and imposed on the nation.
the mistake nigerians made was to "sidon look" and now the man" de sidon look" them dey complain grin grin grin

We can only hope Nigerians will not continue to sit out the next couple of years. We were told to sit and give him time. It is 4 months to end of 2008 and still not much accomplished. I know the man is ill but that is no excuse since it turns out this is not new. He was ill for 8 years as governor( practically accomplished next to nothing then) but felt he was worthy of the presidential seat. Now he has it, and I pray the average Nigerian does not turn around claiming those who demand he do his job are inhuman.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by cescky(m): 9:07pm On Aug 18, 2008
Kobojunkie:

We can only hope Nigerians will not continue to sit out the next couple of years. We were told to sit and give him time. It is 4 months to end of 2008 and still not much accomplished. I know the man is ill but that is no excuse since it turns out this is not new. He was ill for 8 years as governor( practically accomplished next to nothing then) but felt he was worthy of the presidential seat. Now he has it, and I pray the average Nigerian does not turn around claiming those who demand he do his job are inhuman.

well i dont know about his achievements as a governor, but the media used to make so much noise about his achievements in kaduna when he was a govenor.

presently when he was asked what and why he hasnt achieved anything in the last one year, his response was too poor he claimed he's used the whole one year planning and mapping out strategies to work on , what was he doin before he became president,besides that if he uses 1 yr(and still counting as nothin de happen now sef) to plan how and what will he achieve in the next 3 years?

or what makes him think he'll get or rather what makes him soo confident of 8 years in office ( somethin fishys on) and after all the obviously rigged elections why hasnt the "good president" sacked iwu, the inec chairman?

hmm this nations just merry go rounding as far as am concernd
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by jumobi1(m): 9:44pm On Aug 18, 2008
if he dies, would the big wigs allow the Bayelsa guy to be prez? or will the military take over?
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by folahann(m): 10:37pm On Aug 18, 2008
Isn't it supposed to be part of the criteria. . . . well I'm short of words cry cry cry cry
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by lucabrasi(m): 11:01pm On Aug 18, 2008
me im shorter or shortest for words grin grin, for the president of the most populous african country, health is one of the topmost priority,and its evident because yar adua's health is already having an effect on his job,bakassi though messed up by obj,he couldnt sort it out,he is not assertive in the most important issues of nation building,nigeria is the only country in the world where the first lady commands such awe and respect because the husband has to take it easy and watch his health,now we have ministers,economic advisers taking over the job of the vice president because they are the only team the ill disposed president has confidence in, i could go on and on as to the effects and ppl are coming on here sayn its not that important
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by vigasimple(m): 11:02pm On Aug 18, 2008
cescky:

well i don't know about his achievements as a governor, but the media used to make so much noise about his achievements in kaduna when he was a govenor.

presently when he was asked what and why he hasnt achieved anything in the last one year, his response was too poor he claimed he's used the whole one year planning and mapping out strategies to work on , what was he doin before he became president,besides that if he uses 1 yr(and still counting as nothin de happen now sef) to plan how and what will he achieve in the next 3 years?

or what makes him think he'll get or rather what makes him soo confident of 8 years in office ( somethin fishys on) and after all the obviously rigged elections why hasnt the "good president" sacked iwu, the inec chairman?

hmm this nations just merry go rounding as far as am concernd

Precise to the point.

How can a guy contest an election without knowing the situation of what he is inheriting especially if he is from the same ruling party.

As far as I am concerned OBJ is visionless so is Yar A'dull, more worrisome is that Yar A'dull is even more clueless. For all those praise singers, yar A'dull is a repeat of OBJ who spent 8 years and never accomplish anything.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by Kobojunkie: 1:06am On Aug 19, 2008
vigasimple:

Precise to the point.

How can a guy contest an election without knowing the situation of what he is inheriting especially if he is from the same ruling party.

As far as I am concerned OBJ is visionless so is Yar A'dull, more worrisome is that Yar A'dull is even more clueless. For all those praise singers, yar A'dull is a repeat of OBJ who spent 8 years and never accomplish anything.

I can see some of them already turning there tongues around now. These same demanded we give the man more time knowing full well that this man has been sick from the time he was governor of Katsina to present. Why his illness is suddenly an issue escapes me.

@cesky, I will not be shocked if he actually gets 8 years. Majority of Nigeria, it seems, loves to go on that merry go round. So, fasten your seat belt and watch as this may be yet another full turn on that wheel.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by otokx(m): 10:34am On Aug 19, 2008
what do they mean by political dangerous? its better they continue with the doctors who have been managing him all this while.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by MrCrackles(m): 10:37am On Aug 19, 2008
the guy don sick again?! oga ooo!
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by Eziachi: 11:08am On Aug 19, 2008
jumobi1:

if he dies, would the big wigs allow the Bayelsa guy to be prez? or will the military take over?

If he dies, they will first of all kill that Mugu from Bayelsa, David Mark will hold forth until another siddon they look president from the extreme north take over and if they fail to kill the Bayelsa man, they will stage a coup to hold thing until they get their man in place.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by vigasimple(m): 4:34pm On Aug 19, 2008
Eziachi:

If he dies, they will first of all kill that Mugu from Bayelsa, David Mark will hold forth until another siddon they look president from the extreme north take over and if they fail to kill the Bayelsa man, they will stage a coup to hold thing until they get their man in place.

This raise the 'BIAFRAN QUESTION'  which is in 2 parts.

1. Does power and control of Nigeria belongs exclusively to the North.

2. Will an Igbo man make a point of being fully 'Nigerian' and fight to lead a united nigeria and then show the rest of the country leadership or will they want their cake and try to eat it by wanting to lead Nigeria and continue to argue Biafra.

before u guys started yapping your mouth, I am not Igbo but I sympathise with the Biafran cause because one Nigeria means we should all be ble to aspire to the highest office in the land and entitiled to it by merit irrespective of tribes, religion or region.

Twice it has been shown patently obvious that presidency of Nigeria is ' family property of the North' . First during Shagari's regime and General Diya's phanthom coup. There are other times which is done subtly.

The other main issue is the oil revenue sharing formula.

Like the office of the President, it is not the sharing formula that is wrong, it is lack of obvious development around the country especially in the Niger delta.

I prayed that Yar A'dull does not die from all of these illness( Zambian President just die this morning). Because we may have constitutional crisis due to the North selfishness about power being zoned to the North, the constitutions says that the VP takes over, and everyone knows that Goodluck did not create Yar A' dull illness so he could and should not be responsible in the event (God forbid) something happens to Yar A'dull.

On a more practical note, how efficient is an ill leader in a country with more challenges like Nigeria.

The selection of Yar A'dull by OBJ is one of his major failure. A good leader always leave a good and competent successor. On that account alone, OBJ is a failure.

WE NEED TO DECLARE ABSOLUTE WAR ON CORRUPTION.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by Queenisha: 4:45pm On Aug 19, 2008
I sympathise with him and his family.
Having seen a close relative with a protracted illness, I totally relate
but the stark reality however is how much this illness and frequent overseas trips even those disguised as lesser hajj are costing us as a nation.
I'm not just talking dollar or naira amounts.
How can he govern a nation from a convalescent bed?
It'll be more catastrophic for this man to die in office.
He ought to do the noble thing and resign so that a healthier man take up the responsibilities and seek ways to alleviate the suffering of our people.
He is not just fit to do that.
The interruptions and distractions are just to many
For his own sake,he doesn't even need the added stress of presidency when his health is failing.
Re: Sick Yar'adua Off To German Hospital In Saudi Arabia? by dudubobo1: 4:54pm On Aug 19, 2008
We have not suffered in Nigeria. when we really suffer, we will stop allowing these same group of people ride rough-shod over us

(1) (Reply)

PDP Will Rule Nigeria, Whether They Like It Or Not, For Not Less Than 60 Years. / Editorial: The Coming Storm From The North! (a Must Read!) / 2 Igbo Men Caught With Bomb In Suleja Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.