Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,468 members, 7,978,525 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 09:52 AM

What's The Best Superhero Movie? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What's The Best Superhero Movie? (5849 Views)

[PHOTOS] Ant Man: Marvels No. 1 Superhero Movie / Who Is The Strongest Superhero Of All Time? / Superhero Movie Battle 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Best Superhero Movie? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:18pm On Mar 25, 2011
[size=13pt]I'm not an 'X-Men' buff by any means, but I do read comics (though I prefer Vertigo to Marvel), and I love Bryan Singer's 'The Usual Suspects', so I was expecting a lot from this movie. I really hoped that this would finally be THE movie that takes comics seriously and takes them to the next level. Sadly it isn't lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.

As comic adaptations go it's one of the better ones, but that's not high praise as most of them stink. Not being a fan I didn't mind that some details were played around with, but I did think that the script left a bit to be desired. The Bruce Davidson character and the McCarthy witchhunt aspects of the plot were heavy-handed and obvious, and basically all the potentially interesting ideas raised throughout the movie were never explored. Maybe if Singer had asked his talented former collaborator Christopher McQuarrie to write the script things would have been meatier and less predictable, I don't know. I did like the way the movie didn't get bogged down in origin stories or flashbacks, something that usually drags these kinds of movies down, but 'X-Men' really runs out of steam in the last third with an anti-climatic finale that fails to satisfy.

Plus the movie is blatantly left open for the inevitable sequels, and this comes across as a very cynical move. The best thing about the film is the casting of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen as Professor X and Magento respectively, both are much better than the weak material they have to work with. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Famke Janssen as Dr.Jean Grey were both good, but the rest of the cast were pretty dull, especially Halle Berry as Storm grin grin who might as well not have been in it. So, a missed opportunity all round that is adequate but not much more. I hope the sequel is a big improvement but I'm not holding my breath. wink wink wink
[/size]

timba_bng:

X men
Re: What's The Best Superhero Movie? by justkunmi(m): 1:26pm On Mar 25, 2011
iice,
im good ma'am. .im sure u are too. .
that break is closer than ever . . grin
Re: What's The Best Superhero Movie? by iice(f): 2:10pm On Mar 25, 2011
Jk, should i be crossing my toes for that? tongue
Have fun jare. . .can't get enough of it, if you ask me
Re: What's The Best Superhero Movie? by shaurya: 10:15am On Mar 30, 2011
None other than The Green Hornet

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Starting A TV Station In Nigeria, What Does It Cost / Caption This Picture Of Actresses Ngozi Ezeonu And Rita Edochie / The Vendor - By Odunlade Adekola (new Comedy Movie) October 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.