Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,079 members, 7,880,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:01 PM

Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others (2132 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by madamkoko: 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2008
Now that Obama doesn't want the money. Where has the money gone?

Does anyone know ? N100 million is not a joke.
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by MrCrackles(m): 4:05pm On Aug 19, 2008
madamkoko:

Now that Obama doesn't want the money. Where has the money gone?

Does anyone know ? N100 million is not a joke.

well the money would prolly go into Okereke's wide mouth!

what an idiot, go carry person wahala for shoulder! grin
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by madamkoko: 4:06pm On Aug 19, 2008
Looks like Mr  Mrs Okereke has been chopping her eba and putting her hand into other people's okra.  grin grin grin
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by MrCrackles(m): 4:07pm On Aug 19, 2008
madamkoko:

Looks like Mr Mrs Okereke has been chopping her eba and putting her hand into other people's okra. grin grin grin

you feel me grin
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by landis(m): 4:35pm On Aug 19, 2008
she is not. she did what is right. It was all to get obama to like nigeria.

She 419. Ole.

She should be picked up by EFCC for damaging Nigeria's reputation

The Law is Clear:

419.         Any person who by any false pretence, and with intent to defraud, obtains from any other person anything capable of being stolen, or induces any other person to deliver to any person anything capable of being stolen, is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

If the thing is of the value of one thousand naira or upwards, he is liable to imprisonment for seven years.

It is immaterial that the thing is obtained or its delivery is induced through the medium of a contract induced by the false pretence.

The offender cannot be arrested without warrant unless found committing the offence.

She does not represent OBAMA campaign = false pretence

People gave her money  = obtain things of value from another person.
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by dudubobo1: 4:57pm On Aug 19, 2008
The embarrassment caused to Nigeria by these people is too much. They make you hesitate to wave the green passport cry
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by Mustay(m): 5:06pm On Aug 19, 2008
na only good things we like
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by MORANOCEE(m): 5:32pm On Aug 19, 2008
Why leaving her acts with focus on her looks?But waitoo, , Study her carefully!a striking resemblance exists between her and OBJ.She looks like a heavy weight boxer grin
Anyway eye-service is obvious in her acts.She taught she could win Americans hearts 4 a cheap surgery aid to save her from ugliness.She has got great talent!(wowoness).A man lies within. angry
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by palmwine(m): 5:46pm On Aug 19, 2008
Ppl Dont think. What happens to Naija's interest if Mc Cain wins? Institutions or govt don't publicly support a particular candidate even when they work for him UNder G.

Naija should stay clear of intern'l politics. we don't no nothing about it.
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by AKO1(m): 6:00pm On Aug 19, 2008
PapaBrowne:

So because there are poor people in Nigeria, the non-poor people should not hear word again.
So because there are poor people in Nigeria, those that have money shouldn't buy good things
Pleeeeeaaasssseeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

So you want to put what we are talking about in that category abi?
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by idupaul: 6:21pm On Aug 19, 2008
She said, ”I am a very intelligent person; I have a PhD that I did not buy. We were careful with our advertisements and we were transparent in all we did. I don‘t understand why Nigerians like to be negative. People have been mobilising support for Obama all over the world and they are not being castigated.

Phd in 419, stupid woman
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by Nigeria16: 7:59pm On Aug 19, 2008
you can never please nigerian, she made a great move that any business person would do. she tried to win obama over to nigeria side. i think only refuse the money because Obama does not take lobby money and in the USA it is considered that way. not that obama did not like Nigeria but Obama promises he would not take sure money from anyone even in the USA. Obama have refuse money from many people and groups.

She is not 419. It is just a business decision. And a correct one.
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by beebop(f): 8:01pm On Aug 19, 2008
OK three things

1. She stressed that she wasn't raising the money for Obama's campaign directly, so I don't see how it's impacting his run. Do you think that the average person in Alabama is going to give a shit about if some people in a country they can't pick out of the map support him? No.

2. All these people going on about benefiting the poor. How do you know what initiatives she's done for the poor. All these passing judgment left and right. When you go to the bar, do you stop and think about how much good you'll do for the beggar on the street if you gave him the money for one beer? No. I'm not endorsing excess but seriously, people spend money on themselves. It does not make them horrible people.

3. I'm dismayed that people are castigating her based on her looks. (OK I admit my bias here, I know and deeply respect her personally) But a woman who has such a force of will and who has made it to the top of her profession in such a sexist, chauvinistic, deeply depressing society such as Nigeria deserves respect. I don't necessarily agree with many of her actions but you can't that away from her

she makes me proud to be female
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by Mustay(m): 9:01pm On Aug 19, 2008
The same thing they say. "how do you know what the rich has done for the poor?". This woman is DG of NSE is. How come you have NSE officials there?
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by Mustay(m): 9:03pm On Aug 19, 2008
People are pissed off so I'm not really suprised at some comments. Read the comments at PUNCH NEWSPAPER'S website and you'll know that these comments here are just MILD.
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by landis(m): 10:09pm On Aug 19, 2008
Nigeria1@:

She is not 419. It is just a business decision. And a correct one.

She is 419. Definition of 419 is clear in Nigerian Law

419. Any person who by any false pretence, and with intent to defraud, obtains from any other person anything capable of being stolen, or induces any other person to deliver to any person anything capable of being stolen, is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

If the thing is of the value of one thousand naira or upwards, he is liable to imprisonment for seven years.

It is immaterial that the thing is obtained or its delivery is induced through the medium of a contract induced by the false pretence.

The offender cannot be arrested without warrant unless found committing the offence.
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by henry007(m): 11:15pm On Aug 19, 2008
dis woman shld go and die abeg
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by Nobody: 2:27am On Aug 20, 2008
beebop:

Do you think that the average person in Alabama is going to give a shit about if some people in a country they can't pick out of the map support him? No.
Those who don't like him give a shit about anything they can use against him.

beebop:

All these people going on about benefiting the poor. How do you know what initiatives she's done for the poor. All these passing judgment left and right. When you go to the bar, do you stop and think about how much good you'll do for the beggar on the street if you gave him the money for one beer?
We don't know what she's doing for poor people, but she can definitely do better--that is if she's doing anything at all--because right now, we can't feel her on that level. Personally, I do think about the less privileged before I blow money unnecessarily.

henry007:

this woman shld go and die abeg
Please, she should not die o! make she remain around to raise fund to support my campaign I wan become governor of my state and I wan dey there for 4 terms. wink
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by tpia: 6:00am On Aug 20, 2008
In fact, the whole world has gone crazy over this Obama presidency.

Thats why I've been quietly distancing myself from the whole thing. undecided
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by landis(m): 7:39am On Aug 20, 2008
tpia:

In fact, the whole world has gone crazy over this Obama presidency.

The fact is, this woman Okereke is a 419.

We should be alarmed to have such person to head Nigeria Stock Exchange.

When is EFCC picking her up?
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by Mustay(m): 11:16am On Aug 20, 2008
SEC has already warned her
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by landis(m): 12:35pm On Aug 20, 2008
Mustay:

SEC has already warned her

Good but not enough. She should clearly committed 419 offence.

EFCC needs to pick her  and charge her to court.

section 419 of Nigeria criminal code states:
419. Any person who by any false pretence, and with intent to defraud, obtains from any other person anything capable of being stolen, or induces any other person to deliver to any person anything capable of being stolen, is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years.
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 20, 2008
landis:

Good but not enough. She should clearly committed 419 offence.

EFCC needs to pick her  and charge her to court.

section 419 of Nigeria criminal code states:419.         Any person who by any false pretence, and with intent to defraud, obtains from any other person anything capable of being stolen, or induces any other person to deliver to any person anything capable of being stolen, is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

Like many other well-meaning Nigerians, I am not in support of madam stock exchange's action. However, I don't think efcc has any right to go after her like you are suggesting!

1. She did not get the money by false pretence; she must have told them what they were in for.
2. There's no part of the story that shows she intended to defraud them, even though her intention may not be noble.
3. She did not extort money from anybody! They went there, parted with their money with their eyes wide open!
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by dudubobo1: 4:45pm On Aug 20, 2008
IS THIS ONE OF HER BROTHERS?

THE boss of banking giant HBOS has had HIS accounts frozen after a thief stole his ID and withdrew thousands in cash.
Staff broke the news to shocked chief executive Andy Hornby when he was on holiday after one twigged.

Fraud investigators are now scouring his accounts to work out how much was nicked.

The thief is believed to have got hold of one of Hornby’s old bank statements, using it to pose as the £1million-a-year bank chief.

He stole at least £7,000 in one day.

It is understood he was caught on CCTV withdrawing cash from at least one branch and a cashpoint.

A source said: “They think the thief is from a Nigerian background. He certainly looks nothing like Andy. It appears he used one of Andy’s statements as proof of name and address in a branch.

“He also phoned a call centre to open an account with the details but it still didn’t click, and he took cash from a hole-in-the-wall.

"It’s hugely embarrassing for the head of a banking group to be so lax with personal information that someone can steal his identity.

"After all, banks are constantly warning customers to guard their private details.

“Bank staff had to call Andy on holiday to say they were freezing his accounts. If it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone.”

Halifax owner HBOS made him head of its retail division in 2001 after it merged with Bank of Scotland.

He became the group’s chief exec in 2006 and was dubbed ‘Golden Banker’ by analysts when profits rocketed after the merger.

He and HBOS – Britain’s fourth largest bank and biggest mortgage lender – declined to comment last night. HBOS said: “We never comment on individual customers.”

Hornby is not the first bank boss to be humbled by a conman.

In January, an ID thief stole £10,000 from Barclays after persuading staff to send him a credit card in the name of its £750,000-a-year chairman Marcus Agius.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/article1580495.ece
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by 4Play(m): 7:32pm On Aug 20, 2008
From another thread:

EFCC Arrests Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, D.G., NSE
10 minutes ago, 42 views

Director-General of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, has been arrested by the operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,EFCC, over her role in the controversial N100million fundraiser, which she and her group claimed was meant to support the candidacy of Barack Obama, US Democratic presidential hopeful.

Onyiuke was arrested in Abuja today, following a petition written to the EFCC by the authorities of the SEC. She is currently under the custody of the EFCC.

Femi Babafemi, EFCC spokesperson, confirmed arrest.

http://thepmnews.com/2008/08/20/efcc-arrests-ndi-okereke-onyiuke-dg-nse
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by 4Play(m): 7:35pm On Aug 20, 2008
I wonder whether some of this alleged N100m will be used to support Obama's brother:
The Italian edition of Vanity Fair said that it had found George Hussein Onyango Obama living in a hut in a ramshackle town of Huruma on the outskirts of Nairobi.
Mr Obama, 26, the youngest of the presidential candidate's half-brothers, spoke for the first time about his life, which could not be more different than that of the Democratic contender.
"No-one knows who I am," he told the magazine, before claiming: "I live here on less than a dollar a month."
According to Italy's Vanity Fair his two metre by three metre shack is decorated with football posters of the Italian football giants AC Milan and Inter, as well as a calendar showing exotic beaches of the world.

Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by uniquelove(f): 7:46pm On Aug 20, 2008
419 is not good
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by KarmaMod(f): 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2008
4 Play:

I wonder whether some of this alleged N100m will be used to support Obama's brother:

undecided

His father sure spread his seed all over, didnt he
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by NegroNtns(m): 9:38am On Aug 21, 2008
But in a swift response, Okereke-Onyiuke said the event organised by ‘Africa for Obama’ was not aimed at raising funds for Obama but to sensitise Africans living in America.

The NSE chief who spoke with one of our correspondents on the telephone on Monday said, ”At no time did we say we were raising money for Obama.

“What we are saying is that Obama is for the world and he has been getting support from Europeans, from Arabs and from all over and Nigerians should not be different.

“We are not collecting money for Obama. I lived in the US for 14 years; I am a Green Card holder and I know the law. We are just mobilising people who are eligible voters to go out and register and voter for him and I don‘t know why this should be an issue.

If this is not 419, I dont know what else to call it. Somebody should send her to Alagbon to be sensitized. By her action, she has violated over 16 codes of the statutes of law in her own country, not counting about 5 of US laws. And if the money was raised in Albama, then she has violated some laws of that State as well, including a Jim Crow law that possibly is still in the books _ "a nigger lover". cheesy
Re: Obama Disowns Okereke-onyiuke, Others by dudubobo1: 9:45am On Aug 21, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

If this is not 419, I don't know what else to call it. Somebody should send her to Alagbon to be sensitized. By her action, she has violated over 16 codes of the statutes of law in her own country, not counting about 5 of US laws. And if the money was raised in Albama, then she has violated some laws of that State as well, including a Jim Crow law that possibly is still in the books _ "a nigger lover". cheesy

I am absolutely against what she did by raising funds for Obama instead of raising funds to help alleviate some of naija's problems. BUT please tell me what law she violated cos I still dont see why she should be arrested just for that. shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ap: Obama Aunt From Kenya Living In Us Illegally / Why Are Sierra Loenians So Horrible / US Airforce Unveils S-400 Missile Killers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.