Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,895 members, 7,942,246 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 03:27 AM

Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final - Sports (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final (34113 Views)

Poll: Whos gonna win?

Nigeria: 89% (222 votes)
Argentina: 10% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Caf U23 Championship Qualifier :Nigeria 0 Vs Congo 0 (Live) / 2015 Copa America Final: Chile 0 - 0 Argentina - Penalty (4-1) - Fultime. / Azerbaijan Vs Nigeria (0 - 11): U-17 Women's World Cup On Tuesday Sept-25-2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by emmydee(m): 9:00am On Aug 23, 2008
Why didn't Ogbuke play?

the guys tried though. but the keeper showed his naivity once more by rushing out instead of staying back at his goal post, thats what caused d goal.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by deyoungest(m): 9:10am On Aug 23, 2008
Ogbuke koo, Ogunfe nii,
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by alex406(m): 9:16am On Aug 23, 2008
emmydee:

Why didn't Ogbuke play?

the guys tried though. but the keeper showed his naivity once more by rushing out instead of staying back at his goal post, thats what caused d goal.
You should have allowed Siasia to screen you so that you can do better.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Ayinke(f): 9:19am On Aug 23, 2008
Nigeria played very well and should feel proud and motivated by this experience. With all their star power (Messi, Riquelme, Sosa, Levezzi, Gago and the rest) Argentina only scored once. Messi, their biggest star, never scored! Our boys kept him in check. I don't know why some of you guys are being so negative. As if other people are not going to be putting our boys down enough. They should have more love and support from their country. They represented Nigeria very well. I think our defense was really good and we are good with possession. Unfortunately, we did have opportunities to score but couldn't finish. Argentina's only goal came from a mistake from our keeper. Still, I have faith that Nigeria will just get better and better. Siasia is a great coach. I could see improvement in the boys with every game. Congratulations to Nigeria. I'm glad our boys played an honest game. The diving and time wasting from the Argentinians was just shameful. Sometimes I think we need to learn how to play dirty tongue since it so common in the game. But I'm also glad we got far without having to go that route.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by florishn(f): 9:22am On Aug 23, 2008
2 me nigeria really tried in the match is just dat they did not have luck cos they missed goal they ought to score thank God we sha av position at least 2nd is just dat they did not av chance of winning they played well
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by dreday(m): 9:37am On Aug 23, 2008
The Nigerian problem is we like 'trying'.
Hey,no beef,the boys tried but who wants to try when you can win.
Someone already said in another thread before the games that this is how it's all going to end.
Nobody,and I mean nobody except the losers remembers who came second in a competition.
As for all of you who don't want to admit Vanzekin's error cost us dearly,it's his job and he did it poorly.
Would you have compassion on a doctor who butchered your wife/husband/father/son etc during a simple appendectomy and say he did his best or that any other person could have done it?
Abeg,make we no dey allow our sentiments carry us go.
As for Nsofor,face it or not,he's just the latest version ina long list of Pius Ikedias for Nigeria.

Gbam
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by doyin13(m): 9:40am On Aug 23, 2008
I don't think Promise Isaac shows any promise. . . .forgive the pun
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by MrCrackles(m): 9:48am On Aug 23, 2008
We huffed and puffed, but i am glad we won a medal!!Thank you dream team for making us proud
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by shampaul: 9:52am On Aug 23, 2008
Infact, we really played, but that is how it is.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by dreday(m): 9:53am On Aug 23, 2008
doyin13:

I don't think Promise Isaac shows any promise. . . .forgive the pun
He shows promise alright.Promise of a mediocre future
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by sect(m): 10:32am On Aug 23, 2008
One problem we've always had since the inception of this competition is our finishing. The boys created good chances and also made very good passes, although they're quite slow with the ball have always lacked a sharp finisher in front. I still give kudos to our boys, they really tried their best and i commend them highly for their excellent performance. I'll also congratulate our sedulous coach Samson Siasia. I really hope he gets the super eagles job and revive our already dying eagles football team. Bravo ! ! ! Boys
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Bamiprof(m): 10:37am On Aug 23, 2008
dreday:

He shows promise alright.Promise of a mediocre future

Hey
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by vikiviko(m): 10:45am On Aug 23, 2008
Our nemesis was using ineffective and mediocre players as Solomon Okoronkwo and Isaac Promise.

Great team with great future.
The defence line of Adeleye, Adefemi are wonderful.They should stroll into the Eagles line up.

Nsofor and Osaze showed great partnership, could work in the Eagles team

Chinedu Ogbueke undoubtedly was the best player and the most hardworking.No doubt should be playing in the Super Eagles now.

Siasia i don't know if he will be ready to be an assistant to Amodu.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by sleekymag(m): 10:47am On Aug 23, 2008
Our boys did well. Had Obasi Ogbuke played, i think our attack may have been stronger and worried the argentines more. However, i'll say kudos to Dream Team IV for holding their heads high even with star-studded opponents playing for top clubs like real madrid, liverpool and barcelona. Even Messi (with all the talk about him being the world's best or second best player) couldn't convert his superiority into goals. Scroeline? Slim 1-0 from just one mistake. They even played dirty, wasted time, were falling easily, etc. I think the way they won even shows that they really aren't that good. Abeg we try joo! (Dem beat Brazil 3-0 and na only 1-0 with mago mago na im dem use beat us? abeg we try! At least we have a pool of players to develop the future Super Eagles!That's d koko.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by bigfather(m): 11:38am On Aug 23, 2008
sleekymag:

Our boys did well. Had Obasi Ogbuke played, i think our attack may have been stronger and worried the argentines more. However, i'll say kudos to Dream Team IV for holding their heads high even with star-studded opponents playing for top clubs like real madrid, liverpool and barcelona. Even Messi (with all the talk about him being the world's best or second best player) couldn't convert his superiority into goals. Scroeline? Slim 1-0 from just one mistake. They even played dirty, wasted time, were falling easily, etc. I think the way they won even shows that they really aren't that good. Abeg we try joo! (Dem beat Brazil 3-0 and na only 1-0 with mago mago na im them use beat us? abeg we try! At least we have a pool of players to develop the future Super Eagles!That's d koko.

GOOD TALK bro !
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Thor(m): 11:50am On Aug 23, 2008
Best team won on the day grin grin grin congratulations to all the participants smiley smiley smiley

Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by gentlegg(m): 12:02pm On Aug 23, 2008
Is only a fool will label this Nigerian Dream team bad. They tried beyond my expectation.

Though we lost painfully, but proud in defeat.

Just one error from our keeper cost us the gold. The Argentines are not better than us in the game, only that fate has given them the gold. Even the 'almighty' Messi, I didn't see anything he messi-ed only some good passes, he was aptly tamed by our guys, but that Messi suck, he's a cheat, always fall down.

GREAT DREAM TEAM - Am proud of u guys.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Thor(m): 12:13pm On Aug 23, 2008
gentlegg:

Is only a fool will label this Nigerian Dream team bad. They tried beyond my expectation.

True, all Nigerians should be proud smiley smiley

Just one error from our keeper cost us the gold.

It only takes one error to lose a match, the skill is in not making those errors grin grin

The Argentines are not better than us in the game, only that fate has given them the gold.

Yes they are better, they won the Gold and if you believe in fate then they are the chosen team according to previous performances over the last 100 years grin grin

Nigeria did well to win a much needed silver, even though they are 60th place on the medal table. What has happened to the great power house of Africa? Ethiopia are currently 22nd place and Kenya 26th.

Nigeria needs to get their house in order before London 2012. Just look at the fantastic result of Team GB shocked shocked shocked

Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Ibomade2: 12:17pm On Aug 23, 2008
Dream Team IV una do well.

I never gave you guys a chance and yet you surpassed my expectation.

Kudos to you guys and keep yah head up
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by U1(m): 1:00pm On Aug 23, 2008
Considering the array of stars Argentina has (in world class clubsides), I think the Naija guys tried, some playing local leagues with one clubless. But, the Argentine backline is stingy too grin . And who are those blaming the goalie? Could you have done better than bim? Haters! That's why we lose the Ohuruogus and Obikwelus of this world to other nations. A lot of unpatriotic people here, just be grateful you are not in countries like Russia (with due respect to them).

Seem like everyone in the stadium was supporting us to win, and here we are criticizing. Most of you need to take your pot-bellied selves over there to perform better since you seem to know what to do.

@ dreday

Now, tell me how you'll win without trying Besides, people do remember those who came second too - I can still remember that we beat the same country in 1996 final.

@ vikiviko

You really need to convince me how Solomon Okoronkwo become a mediocre, such a nice player. tongue
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by idupaul: 1:04pm On Aug 23, 2008
we didnt play like we needed to win
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by onyinye2(f): 1:12pm On Aug 23, 2008
Mayne my father was pretty upset. He really wanted Nigeria to bring home the hardware. But he is still proud of his home country. Nigeria tried but couldn't get passed that Messi. He his truly an asset to those Argies. But i must say, it was obvious who the favorites were. Every little touch on those Argies, they would fall on the floor like spinless trees. But Nigeria just keep on playing how they knew. . . . . and that is Nigerian Football. I am indeed proud of my people . . . we deserved gold but i will accept the silver.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by grandjedi(m): 1:13pm On Aug 23, 2008
Well, that's the way the cookie crumbled. We were beaten fair & square. Beaten but not disgraced.
I feel we could have done better, though. All those missed scoring chances. . .( where was Ogbuke when we needed him? )

Even the Argies heaved a sigh of relief @ the final whistle, because this was a game that could have easily gone either way. Good game ,boys. We're proud of you.

NAIJA FOR LIFE. grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by sylve11: 1:25pm On Aug 23, 2008
gentlegg:

Just one error from our keeper cost us the gold. The Argentines are not better than us in the game, only that fate has given them the gold. Even the 'almighty' Messi, I didn't see anything he messi-ed only some good passes, he was aptly tamed by our guys, but that Messi suck, he's a cheat, always fall down.

GREAT DREAM TEAM - Am proud of u guys.

My brother thank. You are seeing things the way they are supposed to to seen. Osaze caused the mistake, the defenders, and then the keeper finished it up for us. argentina 1, Nigeria 0. Not too bad. Ogbuke didnt play, that will be a massive stroke ( flog) to coach Samson Siasia if he mistakenly come to warri. The boys in warri were really angry with what samson siasia did by not bringing in ogbuke. May be he has injury also. I dont know.
To me okoronkwo solomon is good player! fellow nairalander please rate this guy for me. Solomon Okoronkwo. GREAT DREAM TEAM - Am proud of u guys.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by bigfather(m): 1:34pm On Aug 23, 2008
sylve11:

My brother thank. You are seeing things the way they are supposed to to seen. Osaze caused the mistake, the defenders, and then the keeper finished it up for us. argentina 1, Nigeria 0. Not too bad. Ogbuke didnt play, that will be a massive stroke ( flog) to coach Samson Siasia if he mistakenly come to warri. The boys in warri were really angry with what samson siasia did by not bringing in ogbuke. May be he has injury also. I don't know.
To me okoronkwo solomon is good player! fellow nairalander please rate this guy for me. Solomon Okoronkwo. GREAT DREAM TEAM - Am proud of u guys.

I think ogbuke had 2yellow cards. Solomon is a pain in the ass for any defense anytime and anyday. The guy is loaded with potentials ! BIG UPS EAGLES.

@Thor

Am sure you are a ghanian and i cant see you guys winning an ordinary plastic medal ( that is if the thing dey sef ) so why the beef ?
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by onyinye2(f): 1:36pm On Aug 23, 2008
big father:

@Thor
Am sure you are a ghanian and i can't see you guys winning an ordinary plastic medal ( that is if the thing dey sef ) so why the beef ?
Don't bother yourself about Thor, he says All Nigerians are lazy and corrupt.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by bigfather(m): 1:39pm On Aug 23, 2008
onyinye2:

Don't bother yourself about Thor, he says All Nigerians are lazy and corrupt.

It takes only a bloody theif to know a thief. So it is easy for him to identify !
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by oge4real(f): 1:42pm On Aug 23, 2008
It was a painful match, but our boys try sha. undecided
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Ayinke(f): 1:43pm On Aug 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure I heard the commentator say, Obasi didn't play because he was sick with a virus.

If there's any truth to that, I hope he feels better soon.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by rubi(f): 2:02pm On Aug 23, 2008
Our guys played very very well but the goal keeper was the cause of the goal.Although they did not win the goal still I'm impressed and proud of them smiley kiss
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by sylve11: 2:21pm On Aug 23, 2008
Coach Samson siasia wouldn't have used Isaac to start the match. The last time we met the Argies on olympic final, we lost to them becos of partiality on the referees side being favoring the Argies; Now we lose again to them not being favored by nature. This Referee is a good referee may God bless him for a job well done. To my fellas out there supporting the the Nigerian team God bless you too, my fellow nairalanders not left out for contributing on this topic. I am proud of the boys, they are good. ''God keep them safe for us to see this same squad play in the 2010 world cup''.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by onyinye2(f): 2:24pm On Aug 23, 2008
All those not proud of our men. . . . think of it like this:

How many African Countries can say they BEAT TEAM USA in soccer?
How many African Countries have reached as far as Nigeria?
How many African Countries can say they murdered Belgium?
How many African Countries have won any many medal in Olympic soccer?
How many African Countries can only give Argentina who average three goals/game only one?

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply)

Italy Crowned Euro 2020 Champions: See Pictures Of The Final Day / Photo Of Mikel Obi's Twin Girls / 2018 FIFA World Cup Russiaâ„¢: The Five Best World Cup Games To Watch...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.