Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,818 members, 7,918,636 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 01:10 PM

My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help (1202 Views)

Very Clean Used Toyota Landcruiser Jeep CHEAP 1.2m / Tokunbo 2006 Toyota LandCruiser Jeep @ 6.3m asking price / Landcruiser Jeep 2000 Model For Sale. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help by Agboola1(m): 8:15am On Aug 20, 2008
i have a 97/98 landcruiser v8 engine, 24 valves. it makes a knock knock sound, checks revealed that it is the valves that makes such noise and i have tried to replace the 24 valves with no lucks, my mechanic advised we replace the whole cylinder head which is quite on the high side.

the jeep functions well but the noise is sometime disturbing, is anyone with a better advice or cheaper source of getting the cylinder head.

many thanks
Re: My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help by chikeze(m): 10:33am On Aug 20, 2008
the tapet valve needs to be reset
Re: My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help by GoldCircle: 5:20pm On Aug 20, 2008

cheers!
Re: My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help by Agboola1(m): 10:24am On Aug 24, 2008
does anyone knows where i can run a check on this as soon as possible. im scared of eventuality
Re: My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help by Nobody: 11:57am On Aug 24, 2008
Agboola, your "mechanic's" not sure of his abilities.
Replace a cylinder head, to eliminate noisy valvegear?!

There could be a number of reasons the valves are tappy:

1) Incorrect valve clearance (if the tappets are manual adjustable)
2) Insufficient oil pressure to the cylinder head (if the tappets are hydraulic)
3) Worn camshaft lobes
4) Incorrect oil grade

If the tappets are manual, the can be adjusted to take up clearance.

If there's insufficient oil supply to the cylinder head, the valvegear will be noisy. Insufficient lubrication / supply is usually due to either low oil pressure, caused by a worn oil pump, or a dirty oil pick-up. The sump should be removed, and the oil pump inspected, and renewed if needed. And, the oil pick-up tube / strainer should be thoroughly cleaned.

If the camshaft lobes are worn, the tappet clearance can be adjusted to compensate, but the ultimate solution would be to replace the 2 / 4 camshafts, or get the old ones reprofiled.

Good luck, and let's know how you get on.
Re: My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help by Agboola1(m): 1:01pm On Aug 24, 2008
the valves cannot be adjusted, we have tried changing it with no lucks and oils replaced severally.

thanks sienna
Re: My Landcruiser Jeep Engine Taps. Help by sultaan(m): 7:59pm On Aug 24, 2008
I don't know anything about engines, but did anybody work on the timming recently check the timming if they line up.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

1998 And 2000 Model Honda Crv Forsale / Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars / Registered Golf 3 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.