Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,121 members, 7,973,783 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 06:48 AM

Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. (3429 Views)

‘to Forgive The Terrorists Is Up To God, Sending Them To Him Is My Duty’ – PUTIN / UK Govt Accused Of Indirectly Arming Somali Pirates / Russia is Sending Troops To Syria - Is This The New Cold War, Or World War III? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by texazzpete(m): 5:52pm On Aug 27, 2008
oh crap

Reuben Abati's words were the parts in italics. All the rest were mine. . .

Big B1:

Yes, we have nobody but ourselves to blame; but it is also amusing to me that we find it very difficult to recognize the enormous negative effect that could irrupt from a negative statement carelessly made by a potential next president of United States of America (the most powerful man on earth).

Nigerians just don't get it.
You guys wonder why you get on a different line at the airports just because your passport happens to be green; you also wonder why no-one is willing to do business with honest Nigerians all across the world. Well, you haven't seen anything yet, just wait and see.
Things will get worst if we continue to allow silly statement like this to drop off easily on the national TV and don't do anything about it (please, keep in mind that Obama's campaign is being televised all over the world in multiple languages)

Regardless of the matter, Obama wouldn't have made a silly comment about the Mexicans, even if the topic or subject has something to do with illegal Immigrant.

We do not get, but I'm sure that we will get it some day.

BigB1
i'm afraid you are the one that does not get it. You see, over 80% of Americans and canadians know what 'Nigerian email' meant. Articles about Nigerian scam emails can even be found as far back as 2004, in editions of 'Readers Digest'. On online forums, i've heard the same slang used. Obama only said what millions of people the world over already know; there's a large crown of celebrated scammers in Nigeria.

Negative impressions come from Negative deeds. what you're insisting on is that tens of thousands can continue doing their negative acts, yet no one may form negative impressions about Nigerian emails, eh? If we assume a conservative figure of 50000 email scammers in Nigeria, and if each one sends 500 emails daily, you wanna do the math?

Why should i care if a comment is televised online? What have you caring nigerian done to curb the menace of 419 in this country? Whenever 419 comes up for discussion on Nairaland, don't the people in support of 419ers always outnumber the 'honest Nigerians'?
I ask you, which is more critical of Nigeria - Obama's comment or the fact that 'I go chop Your dollar' and 'Yahoozee' became mega hits in Nigeria? Have you tried checking the Youtube streams of either of those two songs, and looking at the comments left by Nigerians (hint: praising scam) and westerners (hint: getting the idea that Nigerians are overwhelmingly in support of thievery)?

Nkem Owoh went around Europe performing his 'I Go Chop Your Dollar' song. No one here sees anything bad in this. Apparently this does not give us a bad image. Obama makes a (true) statement and people go ballistic. Gimme a f--ng break.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by texazzpete(m): 5:59pm On Aug 27, 2008
Lest i forget. . .
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEcQ98xnImU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>[/flash]

This song is currently hot in Nigeria. Maga don pay, eh?

This song actually has a special significance. it was the trigger that brought the realization that it would be a long long time before Nigeria ever becomes a decent, corruption free nation. I mean, i could forgive yar'adua being entertained by yahoozee, but this?!

At that moment i knew that all those with the 'Nigeria will soon be the greatest country on earth' line (pastor Adeboye, how could you?!) were in dreamland.

BigB1, if you can watch that video,  imagine it playing on fox news and still insist that our negative perception comes from unreasonable westerners, then i have nothing to say to you.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by BigB11(m): 6:54pm On Aug 27, 2008
Again, we have ourselves to blame, but this doesn't give Obama the right to advertise our bad image during a political campaign.
I refuse to accept this low blow because of Yahoozee song and few other Nigerian greedy pigs.

What about the rest of Nigerians who happen to be doing great things?
What kind of effect do you think a careless negative statement made by a potential next USA president would have on these great Nigerians for the next 10 years.

We need to think broadly and not narrowly.

Just because rappers in United states call each other niGGA doesn't mean Obama would have the audacity to use them as an example during campaign event. I can assure you that it wouldn't happen!
Don't be a fool, Obama has shown a very little respect to you guys; and his camp may have finally recognized this mistake. With all due respect, the Nigerian fools still can't see how silly statement like this could negatively affect our image all around the world for many years to come.

Forget the yahoozee guys, forget the email letters and let's focus more on the future of Nigeria as a nation and the future of the great Nigerians all around the world.

Expect more smacking from Obama if you guys are just going to lay down like bunch of fruit cakes and allow this type of stupidity.

We can discuss this till the middle of next year, it is what it is, an average human being understands that Obama didn't have to go there at-all. There were several other ways he could have made is point effectively without offending anybody.

It is obviously a rookie mistake!
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by ow11(m): 10:57am On Aug 28, 2008
@BigB1

the Nigerian scam email is very popular online and can be used by anyone to describe lies just like colombian drug lords. It doesn't mean all Colombians are drug dealers or all Nigerians scammers. It just means scam emails promising riches come mainly from Nigeria. Instead of bitching about Obama, why don't you openly condemn this act that is tarnishing our image!
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by MrCrackles(m): 10:59am On Aug 28, 2008
@Post

ehn hen? me i know no o! grin
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by BigB11(m): 2:00pm On Aug 28, 2008
You're not paying attention at-all.

This topic is not to condone or justify the act that is tarnishing our image; instead, this topic is to protect the great Nigerians.
When a potential United States president (the most powerful man on earth) describes or uses anything negatively, one must be very concerned, because this negativity could be taken to an extreme by many all around the world.

FYI:
Great Nigerian businessmen/ young Entrepreneurs all around the world continue to struggle day after day to maintain good status, while others struggle to clean up our extremely damaged image all across the globe. I am sorry to inform you that Obama's silly statement wouldn't help us accomplish this goal, but would only further crucify our already damaged name.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by Colonia(m): 4:50pm On Sep 01, 2008
I read this post and  i must say its all about Patrotism. It is evident that most poeple that will support Obama statement are not . It is okay for us to wash our own dirty linen and i agree we have problem with this issue. personally i am not proud of what some Nigerians are doing , but it is very uncalled for for some one else to just trash the country like that without having a good understanding of how things work in Nigeria. You need to live here and see what is going on. Big question to all nairaland folks how many people  care for Nigeria without any self interest? why is it that we allow evil to overtake all the other good things that is coming out of NIGERIA. We all need to wake up and remember if you live in USA, EUROPE etc you are still a dang Foreigner even after you get their citizenship. Believe that!!!Nigeria is our root let us all join forces and bring our glory back . If we all put our energy into it will happen. As for OBAMA presidency expect NOTHING GOOD to come out of it for Nigerians at home and abroad. I wish him well , and i want him to be the president but my brothers and sisters we all need to work together to take our country back . The way i see it we are working against eachother and this will not help anybody. We need to change our ATTITUDE about where we are from. If the so called western world didnt hold their stuff down we wont be running there, lets uphold our country , don't let any country intimidate us we are far better than that.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by BigB11(m): 12:02am On Sep 03, 2008
It is extremely pleasing to know that we still have matured mind lingering around here, on Nairaland forum.

@Colonia:
You've just smacked the nail right on the head.
I totally agree with you

Bravo!
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by nuggard(m): 9:40pm On Sep 04, 2008
This is the most intelligent view yet. "Nigerians just need time out to realize that

1. The world doesn't revolve around them
2. The sun don't shine out of our asses.

When that happens, we'll get less paranoid topics like this.
" (in my haste, I copied instead of quoting).

All this support for Obama does not mean Kak! for Nigerians. Don't expect immigration to be less rigourous or a passive stance on money laundering. The only positive thing that Black Africans can take out of Obama being president, would be, if he serves as a role model for some kid in the townships of Johannesburg or a kid in Mushin.

Having said that, don't you think this illogical (not irrational) support for Obama proves that Africans suffer from low self-esteem. Touchy!~!~!
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by Kobojunkie: 10:06pm On Sep 04, 2008
nuggard:

This is the most intelligent view yet. "Nigerians just need time out to realize that

[size=13pt]1. The world doesn't revolve around them
2. The sun don't shine out of our asses.[/size]
When that happens, we'll get less paranoid topics like this.
" (in my haste, I copied instead of quoting).

All this support for Obama does not mean Kak! for Nigerians. Don't expect immigration to be less rigourous or a passive stance on money laundering. The only positive thing that Black Africans can take out of Obama being president, would be, if he serves as a role model for some kid in the townships of Johannesburg or a kid in Mushin.

Having said that, don't you think this illogical (not irrational) support for Obama proves that Africans suffer from low self-esteem. Touchy!~!~!

I would kiss you, only that I am not gay embarassed!!!!  grin
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by BigB11(m): 11:29pm On Sep 04, 2008

My man, slow down and let us think a little bit more broadly.
Just because you happen to be an original Nigerian man doesn't mean everyone on nairaland forum (supporting Obama) is also original Nigerian or Africano.
If you don't know, there are different type of folks here: we have zebra, we have others with 2 to 3 passports and we also have few that have never been to any country in Africa before; so let us slow it down.

Some of these folks may be supporting Obama because they have 2 or 3 things in common with this man and others may also be supporting him just for the sake of the liberation of blackmen in general.

My man, there is a reason why this topic resides at the foreign affairs section, I'm sorry, it isn't always about you or me or Nigeria. No disrespect, but from time to time, it is always a good idea to think a little more deeper.

Allow folks to support who-ever they desire; it is their rights and prerogative.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by nuggard(m): 1:01am On Sep 05, 2008
Big B1:

My man, slow down and let us think a little bit more broadly.
Just because you happen to be an original Nigerian man doesn't mean everyone on nairaland forum (supporting Obama) is also original Nigerian or Africano.
If you don't know, there are different type of folks here: we have zebra, we have others with 2 to 3 passports and we also have few that have never been to any country in Africa before; so let us slow it down.

Some of these folks may be supporting Obama because they have 2 or 3 things in common with this man and others may also be supporting him just for the sake of the liberation of blackmen in general.

My man, there is a reason why this topic resides at the foreign affairs section, I'm sorry, it isn't always about you or me or Nigeria. No disrespect, but from time to time, it is always a good idea to think a little more deeper.

Allow folks to support who-ever they desire; it is their rights and prerogative.

I don't take too kindly to being accused of being simple, especially if you cannot pinpoint what the problem is.

I simply am saying the easiest explanation (and you even fall into the trap of reiterating it), for black people supporting Barack is mostly because of the colour of his skin.

The thread carries "Nigerians" in it, so semantically speaking we should concentrate on Nigerians. So please my man, don't limit the robustness of this thread and disguise it with pseudo-afrocentrism. Also with due respect.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by BigB11(m): 1:40pm On Sep 05, 2008
Bla b la bla b la bla; absolutely lack of material!
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by magentam(f): 9:37am On Sep 06, 2008
Who asked the amebo Indi to raise funds for Obama? Did he beg for alms?

We have successfully destroyed our name abroad and now we are whining. A good name is greater than riches, nobody paid attention to this proverb and now they are complaining of disrespect. Who will respect a country that is raising hundreds of millions of naira for Obama when they cannot pay school teachers and afford to have constant electricity supply or even food for the destitutes and homeless.

Abeg you guys should stop sulking and build up the country's credibility. Even if the world does not respect Nigeria as a country,they will respect Ngozi Onkonjo Iweala, That, is the beauty of a good name!
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 06, 2008
Big B1:

It is extremely pleasing to know that we still have matured mind lingering around here, on Nairaland forum.

@Colonia:
You've just smacked the nail right on the head.
I totally agree with you

Bravo!

I should have sent this to your mailbox but don't be offended and it is not a distraction. Mature is proper as an adjective not matured. But now we can't even vouch for our president's whereabouts. 140M Nigerians can't say a thing or protest. Now you want respect from Obama (protesting against his example sentence and use of words) that hasn't even won the Nov.4 election. It appears you prefer  Obama to sweep our corrupt practices under the rug while other commentators don't. Texazzpete has been saying that not only Obama sight our 419 acts but you are just hellbent on getting respect from Obama. You can't force a bee into a hole, it finds it itself.So you can't expect respect or help from someone, but you earn it. When we make Nigeria good, people outside will pay us 'homage'. Imagine someone said earlier that Obama should go to hell for disrespecting and another said for a Nigerian it is double hell. So even war-torn Iraq and Afghanistan have gotten Obama's presence and concerns. Look at us, Nigeria is not good and not bad enough to demand apology and visit from Obama. Country so rich that his citizens sleep in US consulate compounds. Abeg which way giant of Africa?
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by mystikal(m): 10:05pm On Sep 06, 2008
whatever prompted Ndy was wrong.
But i wonder why u guys are just realising that obama is a proud and elitist being, the signs were always there. I had prefered Hillary to him.

However I think he'll do better than a McCain Govt
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by BigB11(m): 1:11am On Sep 08, 2008
@ Professor ferdiii:

I have over 3600 items posted on this forum, why don't you take your time and go through all of them to search for more grammatical errors, I'm pretty sure that you will find plenty more.

Back to the topic:
Obama is one of the brightest politicians around today, and I think he should have been more prudent choosing the right method to get his message across; using Nigeria or 419 or Nigerian internet scam letters was absolutely unnecessary.
I still support the dude with all my heart, but it is also very important for Nigerians to pay attention and make necessary adjustment to the way we compose ourselves all around the world.

A statement (Obama's statement on Nigerian Scam Letters) like this could affect every one of us for many many years to come ( of course, folks with tiny mind will not see things this way).
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by KojoAseda(m): 4:49am On Sep 08, 2008
Barack Obama never disrespected Nigeria or Nigerians. It is illegal to accept foreign contributions during a political campaign. Furthermore, there is no reason to expect any praise for corrupt scams. The government of Nigeria has to crack down on 419 scams if it wants to increase the countries respectability, but for the meantime Nigeria remains a shady investment and any money that runs through it is in a precarious situation. It has nothing to do with Nigerians and everything to do with the Nigerian government not being serious about its economy's legitimacy.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by slyk2(m): 10:01am On Sep 08, 2008
check your data and other info b4 posting such a mail,pls.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by slyk2(m): 10:05am On Sep 08, 2008
check your data and other info b4 posting such a mail,pls.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by nikejoy: 2:53am On Sep 10, 2008
As far that am concern, i believe everybody has his or her own words to alter when altering a speech.
Obama is a person like you guys,what he said shound nt be a starbed to Nigerians.
you too can said it,so let us face the reality,using nigeria as an example does nt mean we're the fraudmaster.mean while
America teach us everything and stole alot from us.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On Sep 10, 2008
What did America teach you and what did america steal from you?
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by na2day2(m): 9:53pm On Sep 23, 2008
@ poster

please, in the name of whatever u worship, get facts before u post. na wetin? haba! u are accusing him of rejecting 2 corrupt deeds? dont u know that it is illegal for any US politician to accept foreign donations? if u guys back home want to do a fund raising for obama, tailor it for the poor nigerian communities. use the funds raised to help local folks, obama was a community organizer but he will not acknowledge such funds before they crucify him here. i condemn 419, why shouldn't obama?
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by fokochi(m): 6:17am On Sep 29, 2008
infact,i love this country with a passion, not only the country,i love nigerians, they know when to stand up and stand for their country, mr obama, you sure did not do well using nigeria as an example in scam.it originated from the US and still thrives there, its only that they know how to cover up there own tracks, nigerians dont give two damns about you when you try to step on there faces and bullshit them, for crying out loud we are a country of sensible pple just being ruled by a pack of unreasonable leaders, Obama should retrace his steps concerning nigeria, we dont give a hoot about if he wins or loses, its none of our business and he should stop citing nigeria or nigerians as examples of ill vices, it sucks, we humans and we deserve some respect,
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by texazzpete(m): 11:30am On Sep 29, 2008
The kid gloves are off from here on in.

Obama spoke the truth. Thousands of Nigerians send a staggerign volume of email messages to the US. There's no one in any doubt what the metaphor 'Nigerian email' means. And all some people can do is to act as if they have been insulted.

No you're not! Obama spoke the truth. Many Nigerians are out there killing our name, and instead of sitting down to join in efforts to kill this scourge, all you can do is spew misdirected bile on an online forum.

It's every candidate's job to take a tough line against threats to his nation. if Obama and Mc Cain can spit accusations at Iran and Russia (two countries that are WAY greater than Nigeria), why rail at an off-hand statement?

This is the scourge that destroys this country. A recent opinion poll on nairaland showed that only 10% here were inclined to pay taxes. Yet these same people feel that they best show their patriotism by painting a rosy picture of a comatose country. How would your country improve if you keep glossing over the cracks?

BigB1, if you feel truly offended by this statement, gather a few Nigerians that feel like you, go to Lagos, raid several cyber cafes and make citizens arrest of any 419 person you find there. That is a whole lot more productive and patriotic than you trying out this whitewash job.

Go read your history and see what it means to be a patriot. check out examples of people who fixed their own country instead of waiting for help from abroad. What you're doing has NOTHING to do with patriotism. It's self-denial, and it's dangerous in the extreme.

Obama wasn't the one that kept me waiting at Schipol airport in Amsterdam for over one our. It was the Negative impression the dutch police had about Nigerians, even when i was the one that approached them to correct a minor discrepancy.
Now guess which country's citizens put that distrust, that suspicion there. No prizes, though, it's a no-brainer.

PS: I pay millions in taxes yearly, all my utility bills are paid promptly. Check out the 'Paying Taxes' thread and see how many Nigerians are willing to match me in this.
Re: Obama Indirectly Sending Message To Nigerians. by Wrex(m): 10:15am On Jan 15, 2010
Big B1,why should obama respect nigeria?with our bad image, we(nigerians) lost our integrity a long time ago and we shouldn't expect any form of respect from any nation, Indi Okereke Onyuike did a shameless and embarassing thing, she deserved what she got,  angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

North Korea Nuclear Test: South Would Reduce Pyongyang 'to Ashes' / Biden Uses 'inshallah' In Response To Trump During Debate, Lighting Up Twitter / Saudi Writer Urges Twitter Followers To Sexually Molest Working Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.