Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,952 members, 7,890,137 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 09:51 AM

What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. (6896 Views)

The 10 Commandments Of Buying Land In Nigeria / The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof / Lagos State Govt Land Scheme Which One Is The Best Deal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by johanesbug: 8:53pm On Aug 22, 2008
WHAT IS THE IMPLICATION OF BUYING A GOVT LAND WITH ALLOCATION LETTER ONLY
Re: What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by lawyer(m): 11:25pm On Aug 22, 2008
It means the property is duely noted by the land registry as your land after all the preliminary fees and stamp duties have been paid to acquire the land. In most situations, letters of allocation come directly from the land registry after the land has been properly surveyed and deliminated by the government it self. The government is very much interested in that land and have done everything to make sure that that land or plots of land are within their care and control. After the letter of allocation, it would be very wise of you to pursue the deed of release from them so as to have total control of the property. Most mortgage institutions will not rely on a letter of allocation to grant you a loan unless you have the deed of release or otherwise. But be rest assured with the land allocation letter, it is registered in Alausa that you are the true owner of the property barring any other person from claiming the title to that land.

Cheers!
Re: What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by honeywood: 11:40pm On Aug 22, 2008
Many thanks for response.Does the samething goes for the federal government land?
Re: What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by lawyer(m): 11:22pm On Aug 23, 2008
honeywood:

Many thanks for response.Does the samething goes for the federal government land?

Yes! cheesy
Re: What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by Ebedi: 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2008
I would like to share my personal experience on this topic.

I bought a plot of land at Abijo GRA, Lekki from Lagos State Government in 2002 at a cost on NGN 1.5M. We were asked to the total cost within 90 days. I eventually pay the total cost within 30 days. When I applied for C of O in 2004, I was told that the people at Alausa made a mistake in selling the land at a cost of NGN 1.5M. I was told the cost was supposed to be NGN 5M. My land has now been re-alloacted to someone else. The same thing happened to my friend.

My lawyer wrote to them sometime this year. I was asked to come and pay the balance of NGN 3.5M. It is ridiculous. It is even riskier buying land from the Government than the so called 'Omo onile'.\
Re: What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by lawyer(m): 10:17pm On Aug 25, 2008
hmm@Ebedi

Ebedi:

I would like to share my personal experience on this topic.

I bought a plot of land at Abijo GRA, Lekki from Lagos State Government in 2002 at a cost on NGN 1.5M. We were asked to the total cost within 90 days. I eventually pay the total cost within 30 days. When I applied for C of O in 2004, I was told that the people at Alausa made a mistake in selling the land at a cost of NGN 1.5M. I was told the cost was supposed to be NGN 5M. My land has now been re-alloacted to someone else. The same thing happened to my friend.

My lawyer wrote to them sometime this year. I was asked to come and pay the balance of NGN 3.5M. It is ridiculous. It is even riskier buying land from the Government than the so called 'Omo onile'.\

Ebedi, your story is a little bit weird to me, because after you bought the property in 2002 from the government, you didnt state the documents you were given by the people or government who sold it to you.

Did you get

1. a purchase reciept?

2.A letter of allocation

3. Did you do any search on the property before buying it?

4. Did you attempt to perfect the title of your property after buying it?

Because if you got some form of documentation from the government that you bought the land from them, they ought to have issued you a reciept as proof of purchase and that reciept holds water over any new laws or prices given to you. And with that receipt or letter of allocation, your property can not be relocated to another person without government compensation.

There must be something really wrong in this story and i strongly believe you didnt use a lawyer to do the initial search and investigation before you bought the property because if you did, it is that same lawyer that can fight them tooth and nail to make sure this kind of injustice happens.

If you used a third party or omonile, then, !!!

I dont know what to say again undecided
Re: What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by Ebedi: 4:40pm On Aug 27, 2008
Thanks Lawyer.

I have two receipts for the payment as I paid the money in two instalments within 30 days. I also have my allocation paper. Although, I did not use a lawyer for the transaction, I went to Alausa myself to pay for land. The next process was supposed to be application for C of O. I went to their office at Lekki behind Mobil House, I was told that Alausa made a mistake in terms of the price. The same thing happened to my friend. Note that there were several plots of land for sale at Abijo GRA then as that was the first time the Lagos State Government started selling Abijo GRA's lands.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by abujabooks(f): 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2008
@Lawyer,

Well done for the information.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Buying A Govt Land With Allocation Letter Only. by abujabooks(f): 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2008
@Lawyer,

What is your office address?

(1) (Reply)

Construction Of A Block Of Mini-flats. / Imported White/cream Wooden Or MDF Doors Needed Urgently / THE GRANDEUR ESTATE ABIJO GRA PHASE 2 SELLING! BUY NOW AND BUILD!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.