Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,936 members, 7,890,080 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:56 AM

When There's No Future In The Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When There's No Future In The Relationship (2086 Views)

If You Propose And She Says 'No', Is The Relationship Over? / Ways To Know Your Boyfriend Has No Future Ambition / Does The Past Affect The Present+Future In a Relationship?? (true life story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When There's No Future In The Relationship by Neikid: 12:43am On Aug 25, 2008
hi guys, need help on this one. been dating a girl for about a year now and i really do love her, she means the world to me.
problem is, there's probably no future in the relationship 'cos we have this genotype thing working against us. we've talked about it and we're both reluctant to quit the relationship just yet.
are we being fair to each other by remaining in the relationship?
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by KarmaMod(f): 12:45am On Aug 25, 2008
Neikid:

are we being fair to each other by remaining in the relationship?

No. I'm sorry for your situation though undecided
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by onyinye2(f): 12:47am On Aug 25, 2008
I have to agree with Karma. You are not doing yourselves any favors in continuing this relationship. You are going to have to do some tough love and leave.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by bigboyslim(m): 12:59am On Aug 25, 2008
@ poster

Sadly, the answer is No. I would advise you to start break up proceedings immediately. Genotype mismatch is definitely a risk not worth taking. Marriage is hard work on its own, talk less of adding the discomfort of raising sick children with that. Please, there is nothing to think about. you need to act fast.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by topup: 3:19am On Aug 25, 2008
I'm sorry to say this but, this is where you have to use your logic over your heart. I'm not sure what your genotype issue is so I can't really say what the gravity of you two staying together will be.

I would advise you get out of this relationship before it gets too deep, sorry to say that, because unless you are willing to cope with the consequences in future, you two should just try and move on, if you both can't then, maybe then you two can make a decision to accept the problem and try to work around it.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by KarmaMod(f): 3:21am On Aug 25, 2008
there's no way to work around mismatched genotype, topup

unless they wanna risk having a sickler as an offspring. No person should willingly do this in the name of "love"
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by Nobody: 3:23am On Aug 25, 2008
Hang in there bro. Science has made things easier unless of course you still live in Nigeria. You can easily determine your unborn baby's genotype and decide to terminate the pregnancy before its born. I say go on soun, enjoy ur woman.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by topup: 6:53am On Aug 25, 2008
KarmaMod:

there's no way to work around mismatched genotype, topup

unless they want to risk having a sickler as an offspring. No person should willingly do this in the name of "love"

I was trying not to assume that sickle cell was the threat. There are several 'genotype things', that could cause couples to worry, many other than sickle cell, though it isn't silly to assume that this could be the case here.

On top of the advice I've given already, I believe that you should seek medical advice and then look at your options, because who knows this 'genotype thing' may not have such disasterous effects if handled carefully.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by Neikid: 8:13am On Aug 25, 2008
thanks for your replies. we actually tried breaking up once but she completely broke down and i mean really, really down. i didnt particularly feel good about the seperation either, so we found our selves back together again. mmnnn.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by topup: 8:40am On Aug 25, 2008
Have you been to ask for medical/family planning advice?
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by bridget007(f): 9:07am On Aug 25, 2008
I know exactly how that feels when a relationship breaks down, my relationship broke down and we both broke down and then got back together and got married! Now we are so happy. But with the genotype thing, it can work but you have to be prepared to cover the expense of having a lot of medical intervention to prescreen any developing baby at foetus stage for if it has sickle cell (if this is the issue) and be prepared to abort. This will mean you have to be committed financially, commited emotionally and be prepared to only be able to afford a small family (or perhaps no children worst case. Or you can go with the grace of god and pray all will be well but then you have to face the realities of what may happen if you have a child with sickle cell.

Me and my husband have one son and he is a carrier of the sickle cell gene so I know that one day he may have this dillemma, me and my husband are just lucky that only one of us carried the gene. All best wishes.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by hollandis(f): 9:33am On Aug 25, 2008
When did you find out the Genotype stuff ?Your decision to call it off is wise,but you dated someone for I YEAR (365 DAYS) shocked(and the relationship was headed for the brickwall and you knew it)
What a waste of precious time.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by whitelexi(m): 10:38am On Aug 25, 2008
If u love yourselves truly, then the genotype shouldn't be a problem.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by KarmaMod(f): 1:18pm On Aug 25, 2008
Yea let her keep aborting the wrong foetus til they hit the right one

You people arent serious.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 25, 2008
There are other ways to have babies. Dont give up on true love because of Genotypic difference.
Re: When There's No Future In The Relationship by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 25, 2008
KarmaMod:

Yea let her keep aborting the wrong foetus til they hit the right one

You people arent serious.

its a 25% chance. Besides she will be aborting (if she has to) well before the second trimester.

(1) (Reply)

Single And Free; Is It The Best? / Kissing In Public Places / 10 Old Fashioned Dating Habits To Bring Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.