Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,326 members, 7,910,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 02:28 PM

Computer Follies - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Computer Follies (1181 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Follies by feelgood(m): 10:28am On Jun 30, 2006
I work for an entertainment company that has about 150 stores. We run servers in the back office that connect out to terminals that the associates use to ring sales. This is probably the worst call I had to field in two and half years of tech support.

Her: "Umm, my thingies aren't up!"
Me: "Your thingies aren't up"?
Her: "Yes, my thingies aren't up!!"
Me: "Ok, calm down. What exactly are you talking about"?
Her: "The thingies! You know, the thingies that have wires coming out of them!"
Me: "Do you mean the cash registers?"
Her: "I guess."
Me: "Are you talking about the thing that looks like a small TV screen. The place you ring up sales"?
Her: "Yeah! The TV thingies! They aren't up!"
Me: "Ok. What happens when you flip the switch on the front of the monitor?"
Her: "Nothing."
Me: "Are all of your terminals blank? Like they're turned off"?
Her: "Yes. Everything looks turned off."

After ten minutes of checking power cords on one or two of the terminals, her manager gets on the phone.

Him: "Why do you have my associate messing with the terminals"?
Me: "Because she called and asked for help."
Him: "Well, I don't know who you think you are, but you will not tell my associates what to do!"
Me: "Well, sir, if you want this problem to get fixed, I'll have to talk to someone."
Him: "No! From now on, we'll fix our problems by ourselves, we don't need your help anyway!" (click)

Riiiiinnnnnnngggggg.

Him: "Yeah, I need some help. The last idiot I talked to didn't know what he was talking about."
Me: "Well, sir I'll be glad to help."
Him: "Nothing is working."
Me: "Does any of the equipment in the backroom have power"?
Him: "Hold on. No. Nothing has power. This entire side of town has been blacked out since 3:00 a.m."
Me: "Sir, I need you to take the monitor from terminal one and move it to terminal four, then take terminal six and move it to terminal one."

There is a long wait while he lugs the terminals around. It's not a pleasant task, because of all the dirt and dust that builds up.

Him: "Ok, I'm done. What now"?
Me: "Well, first, I was the 'idiot' you talked to before. Second, a man who doesn't realize that computers need power to work has no real right to comment on someone else's intelligence, does he"?
Him: "Uhh, bahh, uggh." (click)

The actual time I spent with the manager on the phone was about 20 minutes. I got written up, but it was worth it.
Re: Computer Follies by ymdo(m): 7:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
Could this be joke?
Re: Computer Follies by Valiantvaliant(m): 9:40am On Sep 05, 2012
I'm sure its funny, but the -him-her-me part makes it confusing.
Re: Computer Follies by hottprince: 10:46am On Sep 05, 2012
Please can someone tell me where d funny part is?

(1) (Reply)

Asylum Interview In Germany / Law Of Gravity / Two Assholes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.