Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,375 members, 7,978,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 09:28 PM

Zidane: Old Wine Tastes Better! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Zidane: Old Wine Tastes Better! (1243 Views)

Has Lionel Messi Surpassed The Status Of Pele, Maradona Or Zidane? / Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? / Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Zidane: Old Wine Tastes Better! by teeroy(m): 4:16pm On Jul 04, 2006
I feel priveleged to have been born in the same generation as this great man.At least i'll have stories to tell my kids.The France/brazil match truly justified the saying "Style is temporary but Class is permanent".
I saw it as Ronaldinho's chance to finally claim his place among the legends but Zizou even at the grand old age of 34, had other plans for the night.Even ronaldinho paid homage to a greater being and we could all see the way the Brazilians were all clamouring to have screen time with Zizou at half time and at full time.He simply took total control of that match and he conducted the French team like an ochestra.He is indeed bowing out in a blaze of glory.
In all my years of watching the WC,i have only seen a player control the game the way Zidane did very few times.
We will truly miss this giant when he finally hangs his boots hopefully on sunday at the finals, Indeed,its a loss to the entire human race.
A general in his own time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Zidane: Old Wine Tastes Better! by diddy4(m): 4:36pm On Jul 04, 2006
old wine truely tastes better. i doff my hat for that man. he is a legend. his got class and style and just when people gave up on him, he showed them he still got his boots on and hasnt hung them yet.
Re: Zidane: Old Wine Tastes Better! by teeroy(m): 12:42pm On Jul 08, 2006
Zidane has been at his imperious best during the World Cup

The French captain will retire from professional football after playing in the World Cup final on Sunday.

Rolling back the years, the winner of the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 has produced some sublime displays to lead Les Bleus into a meeting with Italy, the country in which he spent five glorious years from 1996-2001.

So just how has the 34-year-old found his sparkling best form to turn France from outsiders into contenders for the greatest prize

Before the tournament, France and Zidane were written off as too old, a team that had seen better days and would be broken up as soon as they got knocked out.
Zidane had endured three frustrating, trophy-less years at Real Madrid and announced his decision to quit the game upon France's exit. But Raymond Domenech's ageing squad has called on all of their experience to out-think and outmanouvre their more youthful opponents to move seamlessly into the last four.
Zidane has made a mockery of the critics by dictating the games against Spain and Brazil and playing at a tempo with which he and his team-mates are comfortable.After 107 caps and more than 10 years at the very top of his game, no-one knows better than Zidane how to exert his authority on a game - and at the key moments, too.
Domenech, for one, is taking Zidane's dominance against the world's best teams in his stride.
"He's Zidane, but he seems to be surprising you," Domenech told a recent news conference. "He doesn't surprise us."

WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT ZIDANE

Zidane's mastery of his art has drawn plaudits from all corners of the globe - especially after his age-defying display against Brazil in Frankfurt on Saturday.

Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira was the first to pay tribute to the great Zidane, labelling him "a monster" for his performance.

French legend Michel Platini believes Zidane is one of the most skilful players the game has ever known.

"Technically, I think he is the king of what's fundamental in the game - control and passing. I don't think anyone can match him when it comes to controlling or receiving the ball," said Platini.

German icon Franz Beckenbauer added: "Zidane is one of the greatest players in history, a truly magnificent player."

Pele, a World Cup winner three times with Brazil, hailed the Frenchman after seeing his country go out: "Zidane was the magician in the game."

Last word goes to Italy manager Marcello Lippi, who will have to stop one of his favourite sons - he coached Zidane at Juve - if his country is to win the final on Sunday.

"I think Zidane is the greatest talent we've known in football these last 20 years, yet he never played the prima donna," said Lippi. "I am honoured to have been his manager."

ZIDANE FACTFILE
Born: 23 June 1972, Marseille
Clubs: Cannes, Bordeaux, Juventus, Real Madrid
France career: Debut 17 August 1994
106 caps & 28 goals
1998 World Cup & Euro 2000
Personal honours: World player of year 1998, 2000 & 2003
European player of year 1998
Major club honours: Champions League (Real Madrid 2001)
European Super Cup (1996 Juventus, 2002 Real Madrid)
League title (Serie A with Juventus 1996/7, 1997/98, La Liga with Real Madrid 2002/03)

(1) (Reply)

Check Live Score Features Table And News / Alex Ferguson Wants Jose Mourinho To Succeed Him At Manchester United / Real Madrid Vs Chelsea Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.