Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,608 members, 7,965,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 12:51 PM

What Will You Do? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Will You Do? (826 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Will You Do? by matured(m): 7:15am On Sep 13, 2008
You use to work in a company as an accountant and your boss trusted you so much that he left you to handle most of the companies dealingS but somehow you abused this trust and used it to loot some of the companies funds,funds which you later used in establishing your own business.You left the company and you started yours which was going fine.
One day your friend invited you to his church for a programme and he told you you must be here which did honor by attending.During minister's ministration you were touched by his sermon, it stroke your heart greatly and you decided to take a new live infact the topic of his sermon was *where will you go from here*.this made you to think about you life and the way you have being handling it and you decided to take a bold step by coming out to give your life to Christ.
After that great encounter you met with the pastor and narrated all you have done to him including your boss' fund you looted to start your own firm and he said to you Brother you must return all that belong to him.
The big question is what will you do? IF IT WAS YOU.
Re: What Will You Do? by AKO1(m): 11:09am On Sep 13, 2008
Well it looks like you've got yourself into a big mess.

What kind of person is this your boss?
Re: What Will You Do? by pilgrim1(f): 11:39am On Sep 13, 2008
matured:

The big question is what will you do? IF IT WAS YOU.

I know it is not easy, but I definitely will return everything I ever stole from my (former) boss.
Re: What Will You Do? by matured(m): 10:02am On Sep 27, 2008
thats good pilgrim but what if you were to return virtually everything u had?
will you still go ahead ?
Re: What Will You Do? by Nimshi: 11:36am On Sep 27, 2008
Hmnn,  a knotty situation. Here:

1) You have met yours at a Church. First, have you confessed your sin to God and asked for forgiveness? Let's assume the pastor has prayed with you, and, since God will not cast away a repentant heart (at least, by the appearance of this sin), we hope God has forgiven you. This is the simple part.

2) You committed a crime; that has consequences. A_K_O already asked an important question: "What kind of person is this your boss?" You must consider this carefully as you make the decision to approach your boss. This is quite a mess, and you could be looking at jail time and losing your license to practice; this will have consequences for other innocent people, including your dependants, and the members of staff of your own company. You have responsibilities towards these people too.

3) Your thieving activities appeared not to have ran down your former boss' business; apparently, the company didn't take a hit so huge sthat it went bankrupt (you could correct this assumption if something really bad happened to your former boss' company). This is not justification for your crime, but you need to consider it in the final decision. We could return to this.

4) The Pastor said you should return all that you have stolen. But, is this justice? It is not. Here's why: money has a time value; returning the amount you stole does not make up for the time and the opportunities lost by your former boss in investments not made because you made away with funds belonging to his company. Yet, it's unreasonable to ask you to return everything you have now have; you've grown your business using your skills (apparently, you're quite a brilliant fellow: you defrauded a company without attracting attention and then invested the funds to make even more). Since you want to make right, some balance must be found. This is not a simple matter, but it's not impossible either. One thing you must remember: your final decision must not punish innocent people anymore than they've already been punished: you have the responsibility to meet your obligations of continued employment to your current members of staff, your family, and other companies with which you may have dealings - as you see, it's a web, and there're plenty people involved.

You asked what I'D do if it was me. . . First off, I'D hope I don't get into this sort of mess; but assuming I have, then the most critical factor to consider will be my former boss: my understanding of his/her temperament, and more important, what is likely to be his/her reaction to a confession. I'll also consider the current financial state of the ex-boss and the company. Of course, there's no question that what's been stolen must be returned (with additional compensation), the question is how to do it. Although I deserve jail and humiliation and more, I'll very much want to avoid this. I'll think about this long and hard, and, well, I'm confident an agreeable solution could be found. At this point, I'll ask to meet a brilliant lawyer (preferably one with experience in arbitration) to advise me about legal consequences. Then things could take off from there. Perhaps a legal case would not be in anyone's interest and a rather agreeable solution could be found . . . Even then, you'll have to leave with possible non-legal consequences: your ex-boss may remain pissed with you; and (s)he may decide to simple let people know what's happened. Some may be impressed with your attempt at restitution; some may not be moved anyhow; your reputation may end up being dented; but hopefully, your Christian righteousness may help with time.
Re: What Will You Do? by pilgrim1(f): 1:53pm On Sep 27, 2008
matured:

thats good pilgrim but what if you were to return virtually everything u had?
will you still go ahead ?

I admit that is a very difficult question to answer in practical terms (especially where one defines what is meant by"virtuallt everything"wink. I trust that I would do my best to return whatever I may have defrauded him of. Actually, I've been in a similar situation - "similar", I said, and does not mean that I stole money from anyone to set up my business.

Before I became a Christian, there were a few friends of mine whose stuff I had with me. Okay, technically, I didn't borrow those stuff: I stole them! undecided I regret doing so; but at the time, I didn't even consider how serious it was to do such a thing. It was much later after my conversion that I confessed to my friends my very shameful behavior. Worse than that, I had the money and could have bought mine if I wanted; but. . . alas!

Anyway, after apologising and trying to make good the wrong I had done (even if it meant that I replaced those stuff twice over - I was ready), it turned out that there was more involved than merely having stolen their stuff. Their shock! Imagine me the local champion in religious debates. . . now a . . thief! News quickly spread in the neighbourhood about it, and those whom I had fallen into disfavour chanced upon it and mouthed me about! Even events I was never involved in were accused against me - it was difficult to separate truth from false accusations. Did I learn my lessons? You bet! But even while my heart was bleeding with shame, I was prepared to confess the truth and stick with it. Relationships and friendships had been soured by my theft. Apologies did not easily restore them.

However, after several weeks, those who had been most severely hurt by my behaviour in that event were willing to forgive me. One of them told me plainly that it was the consistency in the change they saw in my life that re-opened our friendship. In one word, they saw the "real" deal in my life this time around and not the old garb of being a religious bigot. The best part was that we became even closer than when we first started as friends. . . although she never accepted my replacement of what I had stolen.

Was that close enough? Well, the point was that I was willing to restore everything. And yes, I would actually make an effort to restore whatever money I had defrauded my former boss of, if I were in that situation.

Regards. smiley
Re: What Will You Do? by matured(m): 2:18am On Oct 04, 2008
wow! pilgrim thats was very
very close{I mean your own story and the one i posted in the room}. I think from what your said you will do what you said you will do.cos as i was reading through your last reply i saw that genuineness and realness in you,just keep it up.
You see its not everyone that can do these things you have said.there are some many things that will ring in you /there mine things like:will he ever forgive me,wont he blow of my head if given the chance to do so,i will loose all i have,how do i begin the story and so on.All these thoughts and fears have made many people die with there sins.that will not be our portion in JESUS name.
the fact still remains this Its better man hate your than GOD hate you.Its better man destroy you than for God to destroy you.its Even In The Bible"do not fear that man who can destroy the flesh and not the spirit but fear that man who has the power to destroy but the flesh and the spirit and that person that can do this is GOD.
So this is my own believe too jsut like pilgrim and others have said.

IF you have a contrary opinion to this one am still expecting you to come in,.

(1) (Reply)

Righteousness - What Is It? And Who Is Righteous? / Sallama Aleikum / How Do You Cast Out Demons?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.