Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,030 members, 7,925,202 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 12:00 PM

Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? (5596 Views)

Poll: Should a christian partake in sallah celebrations?

Yes: 25% (2 votes)
No: 75% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Ramlocator: An App That Leads You Where The Sallah Rams Are / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 2:16am On Sep 22, 2008
Lmao he's a afanatic for not wanting to marry someone who isnt a fellow Muslim but you're not for ignoring a naming because of no show policy. Irony anyone?

and in the case of olabowale, one of his WIVES is actually Igbo(don't know how he was able to do that) and she converted.

same way a Christian man or woman should marry a fellow Christian, I don't see what's wrong in olabowale wanting a fellow muslim as a wife.
Actually you are right but knowing whom Olabowale is, he said it with utmost arrogance and such impunity that will send a wrong message to the outside world that non muslim women should be abhorred. You don't know him well, I do.
That's the same man that is asking me/us whether God worshipped jesus or Jesus worshipped God. undecided undecided If you ask similar questions about Islam now, they'll report you to the moderator.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Prizm(m): 7:22am On Sep 22, 2008
Should a Christian partake in Sallah Celebrations?

This question does not need a very complex answer. The real answer to this question is : "It depends, "

It really depends on the person being asked. He or she alone knows what his particular circumstance is, and only he or she can tell if he or she is going to be able to partake. People can argue for or against the issue and trot out very sound points, but in the end, they'd be missing the mark which is that either positions are understandable.

If someone invites you to a Sallah celebration and you don't feel like going? Just tell him or her that you cannot make it. Simple!

If you are invited and you can make it, then go, rejoice with those that are rejoicing, and then acknowledge and receive every nourishment/food/meat given with thanks to YOUR own God.

The bible is quite ambivalent on this matter, and in the interest of avoiding poisonous rancor, let every Christian refrain from imposing his/her interpretation on others.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by obinna5000(m): 12:06pm On Sep 22, 2008
I cannot participate in the sallah celebration.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by tpia: 3:51pm On Sep 22, 2008
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 10:43pm On Sep 22, 2008
If you are invited and you can make it, then go, rejoice with those that are rejoicing, and then acknowledge and receive every nourishment/food/meat given with thanks to YOUR own God.
You saying that you'll attend a ceremony in honour of Ifa but you'll mind your own God during routine veneration to the shrine, abi?

The bible is quite ambivalent on this matter, and in the interest of avoiding poisonous rancor, let every Christian refrain from imposing his/her interpretation on others.

We might as well allow everybody to interpret the bible according he/she wishes?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 10:56am On Sep 23, 2008
bawomolo:

funmi- how come u didn't stay around muslims, most yoruba families are usually a combination of christians, muslims and that[b] obscure ifa worshiping grandpa in the village. [/b]

What are you saying about my favourite uncles?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by IDINRETE: 11:21am On Sep 23, 2008
mine as well
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by bawomolo(m): 6:35pm On Sep 23, 2008
Pastor AIO:

What are you saying about my favourite uncles?

sango >>>> ifa, u mad grin
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 11:36am On Sep 24, 2008
bawomolo:

sango >>>> ifa, u mad grin

Those guys are deep, believe. Especially when it comes to Iwa Pele, which is their goal. Sometimes it's hard to know how to behave around them because they are so humble. When someone is older than you and takes you under their wing yet at the same time is so humble, how do you react. You've got to be even more humble. In the end it's like a competition of who's more humbly. As the young one you end up almost groveling on the floor. Imagine someone old enough to be your father many times, and they are calling you 'sir'. Addressing you with 'e' this and 'e' that. Not to mention the beautiful poetry that flows from their mouths which is called the Yoruba language. I really wish I could speak yoruba like them. You realise what barbaric philistines we really are when it comes to yoruba culture. The difference between us and them is like, to use the English culture, the difference between reading tabloid press and reading Shakespeare. We are the gutter of yoruba culture while they are the creme de la creme. I love them so much.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Wordsmith(m): 12:40pm On Sep 24, 2008
So do i. I loved it when Gramps or Moms used to speak ijinle. Sounded like music to my ears as a child.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by olabowale(m): 12:53pm On Sep 24, 2008
@Tpia and Deepzone: « #64 on: September 22, 2008, 02:16 AM »  
Guys, you are having this much at my expense, and you did not invite me? Thats terrible! lol.
[Quote]
Lmao he's a afanatic for not wanting to marry someone who isnt a fellow Muslim but you're not for ignoring a naming because of no show policy. Irony anyone?
[/quote]

I am not a fanatic. I am a realist. I was married to a Christian woman, once. I know how much hatred she held against Islam. I do not want to see another cross in my bed, again! I will sell islam to a woman I want. I will give her the opportunity to sell her religion to me, first. When she fails, for certain she will, then i will offer her Islam and I am the dessert for her acceptance. Of course, she can grill me on Islam before she accepts. The same way i grilled her about her religion.

and in the case of olabowale, one of his WIVES is actually Igbo(don't know how he was able to do that) and she converted.

Ada saw Islam and she accepted, willingly. She took Zainab as a name. I am grateful to Almighty Allah who opened her heart to Islam.

same way a Christian man or woman should marry a fellow Christian, I don't see what's wrong in olabowale wanting a fellow muslim as a wife.

I will marry a nonmuslim, as long as she converts. I don't want to be sleeping with a body that will be burnt in hellfire.

Actually you are right but knowing whom Olabowale is, he said it with utmost arrogance and such impunity that will send a wrong  message to the outside world that non muslim women should be abhorred. You don't know him well, I do.

Deepzone, I am not arrogant. Arrogance and pride are not permissible in Islam. But am sure of what I want.
I never will advocate any woman be abhorred. Am certain that i will not say that about Christian woman. Even when she is unattractive to me. She will to somebody. The say way i may not be attractive to some woman, but I am not many.

And how well do you know me? Pele pele o. lol. Lo loko.

That's the same man that is asking me/us whether God worshipped jesus or Jesus worshipped God.

Omode yi, o de ma paro mo mi. I simply ask if Christian god the father worshipped Jesus. Thats a fair question. I simply needed yes or no answers. But your incredulous moderator, A_K_O will not let it stay. The doggon man yanked it off, twice already! What a piece of work he is. Seun Osewa gave him a minor authority he already became a tyrant by it. Just imagine if he is the administrator, a day!

If you ask similar questions about Islam now, they'll report you to the moderator.

You should ask the same question about Islam. Did Muhammad even say to anyone to worship him? The answer is no. Did anyone advocate that Muhammad should be worshipped? The answer is no, if the person is a true muslim. Is it permissable for anyone to worship Muhammad? The answer is no.

Is Muhammad considered more than a human messenger/prophet? The answer is no. If all of these above and many more have no for answer, then you will see that it is rather disingenous for any person to even ask if Allah Almighty the undisputed God the Creator of all and Muhammad, worshipped Muhammad!
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by KarmaMod(f): 5:04pm On Sep 24, 2008
olabowale, is she full Igbo or the "half Igbo, half Egyptian" that tpia mentioned
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by bawomolo(m): 6:53pm On Sep 24, 2008
Pastor AIO:

Those guys are deep, believe. Especially when it comes to Iwa Pele, which is their goal. Sometimes it's hard to know how to behave around them because they are so humble. When someone is older than you and takes you under their wing yet at the same time is so humble, how do you react. You've got to be even more humble. In the end it's like a competition of who's more humbly. As the young one you end up almost groveling on the floor. Imagine someone old enough to be your father many times, and they are calling you 'sir'. Addressing you with 'e' this and 'e' that. Not to mention the beautiful poetry that flows from their mouths which is called the Yoruba language. I really wish I could speak yoruba like them. You realise what barbaric philistines we really are when it comes to yoruba culture. The difference between us and them is like, to use the English culture, the difference between reading tabloid press and reading Shakespeare. We are the gutter of yoruba culture while they are the creme de la creme. I love them so much.

interesting so what are your religious beliefs
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by olabowale(m): 7:50pm On Sep 24, 2008
@Kermamod: « #75 on: Today at 05:04:15 PM »

olabowale, is she full Igbo or the "half Igbo, half Egyptian" that tpia mentioned

Ada is full is Igbo woman.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by olabowale(m): 7:53pm On Sep 24, 2008
But Emeka is half Egyptian. She is in the waiting.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by KarmaMod(f): 12:14am On Sep 25, 2008
Dude how many Igbo wives do you have?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 12:51am On Sep 25, 2008
Dude how many Igbo wives do you have?

Interesting how yoruba women rejected him and he is now seeking solace among ibo women. Good for them sha. But, Olabowale is not a dude, he's a full grown man. His maturity is the main reason why he's very very slow to anger. Haven't you noticed that he has a lot of patience?

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 12:53am On Sep 25, 2008
But your incredulous moderator, A_K_O will not let it stay. The doggon man yanked it off, twice already! What a piece of work he is. Seun Osewa gave him a minor authority he already became a tyrant by it. Just imagine if he is the administrator, a day!

Roflmao
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by KarmaMod(f): 1:27am On Sep 25, 2008
DeepZone:

Interesting how yoruba women rejected him and he is now seeking solace among ibo women. Good for them sha. But, Olabowale is not a dude, he's a full grown man. His maturity is the main reason why he's very very slow to anger. Haven't you noticed that he has a lot of patience?

Im aware that he's a man and one of the few things I respect about him is his patience. I use "dude" when im surprised

anyway i believe one of his wives is Yoruba.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 9:55am On Sep 25, 2008
bawomolo:

interesting so what are your religious beliefs

I would call myself a christian only that I feel that term has been rendered almost meaningless by the cheap manner in which so many tom, dick and harrys lay claim to it. When people go to church to pray to God to help them steal public funds then I'm out.

I do not put too much stock in dogma either.

However my entire hope is on the experience of God in my life.

I don't know what else to say. I guess your question has been prompted by what I have to say about Ijinle yoruba people. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for it. The Culture and the religious traditions. I used to be so ignorant of it. I felt privileged to have a western education etc, but with maturity I have come to appreciate how much I've missed. I can categorically state that Philosophically speaking Ifa is one of the highest achievements of all humankind. Check this out:

Oloye l'oye n ye
It is an intellectual that understands intellectual things
Ohun taa ba n se nii ye ni
The thing being done is only clear to the doer
Isowo laa mowoo lo
It is from a trader one should seek trading advice
Baa ba se ewu l'oja
If one buys cotton in the market
Ka e han eni ti n hunso
it is best to show it to a weaver

If I'm looking for peace of mind I am not going to go to a man looking distressed and screaming down a microphone. If someone tells me that the goal of his religion is Iwa Pele, a state of Harmonious Being, and I see on his face that there is pele indeed and in all his actions humility, then I have to respect that. I not saying that all followers of Ifa are peaceful people. They have their own fair share of idiots, but from what I can tell generally they have more peace than many of those chasing western things.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

33 Degree Freemason Shaquille O'neal Admits Earth Is Flat- Ki Ogboni! / How Did You Spend Your Christmas / Brilliant Quotes on Religion By Thomas Paine And Robert Ingersoll.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.