Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,504 members, 7,911,184 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 07:09 AM

What Would You Charge For This Website? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Would You Charge For This Website? (1716 Views)

How Much Will You Charge For Creating A Professional Blog? / Web Masters: How Much Will You Charge To Manage A Company's Website! / How Much Do You Charge for Website Design? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 11:55am On Jul 09, 2006
Sorry about the somehow vague title, an email correspondence prompted me to ask this question.

I had a job to do, requires custom coding and as I became very busy I needed someone to do it due to time constraint but the reply was he would do the job for $9000.00 - $14000.00. The guy is a very experienced programmer anyway, an Indian.

Now, the job requires a directory listing with categories and subcategories, a user management system where users can logon and manage their subscriptions including payment system, admin section where every single part of the website can be managed without any need for the admin understanding php (hence a common API forms were used a lot), searchable business listings based on business category and country.

What would you charge for such a job?

Do you think the $9000.00 - $14000.00 is too much?

The link to the site is www.justwebservices.com/dapo (not yet finished anyway but the project is over 90% done)

Just random thoughts anyway but felt like sharing this with other people.

Many thanks for your time.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by kheme(m): 12:31pm On Jul 09, 2006
Okay, i get the concept but your design is rather POOR!!! sorry to say! for all the features you mentioned, i would charge $3000 dollars if it were a foreign client! if it were a nigerian client, well, maybe 120K would be enough, i don't know! besides, i'm a developer too! perhaps i can help for a fair fee! smiley
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 12:53pm On Jul 09, 2006
Kheme,

Thanks for the comments.

What will you bring into the project? Design or programming?

It's not enough to say the design is poor without going specifics.

The functionality is more important than design anyway and its the functionality that counts.

To avoid long grammar, let me have a project that you have done (especially programming) so I can get a feel of what you can do.

I don't gamble with client's projects, I contacted the Indian because I have seen his previous works.

So, where are yours? Money is not an issue but first you must demonstrate that you are capable of doing whatever you promise as I have come across a lot of people that claim to know a lot but when put to task will perform very badly.

I do have my sentiments on web design though. I am for functionality.

Thanks for your time.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by layi(m): 1:05pm On Jul 09, 2006
We did a project like this for a us based client for 11,000us$. It was pulled down cos he refused topay up. I can have it done for jus150knaira.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 2:37pm On Jul 09, 2006
Layi,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a copy of the project so you post it on a server where I can see it?

If it meets the requirement stated I may pay you the N150,000.00 and customize the one I have setup to do other nice things online.

I do not think it's good practice to work for clients that do not show a reasonable level of commitment by way of pay at least 50% of the cost of the project.

Even though it's not easy to turn down projects sometimes, it's the best for you.

So, if you can upload it to a server and it cool, I will have it.

You may also check the website on your project, it keeps giving errors.

Thanks for your time.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by kheme(m): 3:11pm On Jul 09, 2006
I'm a developer,  more of a programmer than a designer! i can help with both, but maily the programming! i' not very good with graphics though, but all my websites still look good! grin

Yes, functionality is what i look at first in many website, even if ite attractive or not!

here are a few websites i've developed,  ALL with PHP & MySQL,

www.xdavia.com
www.cpedng.org
www.thebrokenwalls.com
www.htmlonine.tk
www.royalmarblehotel.com
www.excaliburbeninhotel.com
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 3:34pm On Jul 09, 2006
Kheme,

Thanks for the list but going through all the websites listed I have not seen any one of them that required custom coding even though they are PHP based.

The sites are more of design work than programming as php could also be used to design static pages afterall all that is rendered to the client is the html.

While I agree that the sites are PHP based, none of the site has demonstrated raw coding or specific functionality for me to use to compare with what I have on the table.

Put differently, all the sites could easiy be setup using frontpage without any problems.

My point is this, I require previous work on PHP with specific functionality, not general one.

As you can see or already know none of the websites listed even has a search functionality which is a basic dynamic feature of the database driven websites.

Thanks for your time. I wrote raw codes for atleast 4 days to get the site up and running while I spent over 1 week trying to customize both fee and free directory scripts until I gave up since it would be more difficult to tweak them than to write one from scratch even if it seems like re-inventing the wheel.

The color combinations on www.justwebservices.com/dapo are the client's preferences, the presentation style are also his but for the two search menus I move to the top as against the side because the width will take up a lot of unnecessary space if displayed on the side.

I still appreciate your comments though.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by bimbayo: 4:35pm On Jul 09, 2006
What u're trying to do is a business directory,  check http://www.nglug.org/outlets/index.php  for a live example.

If that looks like what u want u can buy the script online for $100 - or get a less matured one from sourceforge to upgrade

Tweak it, configure it, get someone to do the web graphics/design for like 20K, and u're in business,
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 5:25pm On Jul 09, 2006
Thanks Bimbayo,

I am a huge fan of sourceforge and have used and tweaked a lot of scripts from there. The problem is that it becomes a bit diffucult to change anything if the foundation doesn't support what you want to do.

I setup www.portharcourtservices.com over 2 years ago and the guy is happy with the site, it comes with logo listing as well but for the specific instructions from the present client, it does not make any economical sense to see how to tweak a general purpose script.

The way the directory listings are presented now are the clien't express instruction and he also wanted specific admin features which I have coded to the exact specs anyway.

Thank for your advice and time.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by kheme(m): 6:54pm On Jul 09, 2006
angry all those websites have a fully functional dynamic database driven website content management system that i built! the CMS is very flexible and is built ACCORDING to the websites need, online reservation, photo gallery manement, content management, opinion polls, articles, etc. my clients will tell you about it. I can handle this with reasonable time!
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 9:36am On Jul 10, 2006
Kheme,

You seem not to get me.

Your sites are php based no doubt but I have not seen a single thing to demonstrate actionable experience in PHP as per using raw codes to achieve anything.

For starters, I will not write a custom code to get an image gallery on a website, neither will I do same for articles or opinion polls as that will mean trying to re-invent the wheel.

Like I stated earlier I had to see jobs done by the Indian before I asked him to send a quote, I have been in this business long enough to decipher a custom application from a general purpose one and places like hotscripts and sourceforge are there for anyone to pick up general purpose scripts.

Take care and please do not get me wrong. Your sites are cool but none has demanding features or functionailies that require custom coding.

The admin user interface I setup makes it possible for the admin to manage everything on the website from assiging new signup usernames and access codes, activating/approving business listings, tracking payment info and generating necessary reports, adding, editing, deleting users, content, business listings, categories and subcategories to knowing when someone signs up.

These are his requirements and they have been fulfilled to the letter.

Enjoy!
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by kheme(m): 10:16pm On Jul 10, 2006
tamam!
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by kimba(m): 8:13am On Jul 11, 2006
hello Afam,

pls holla your sale outfit/address to my mail, I want to come see those Inverters sometime.

thanks
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 11:27am On Jul 11, 2006
Kimba,

We do not build and stock inverters so you won't be seeing a lot of them on display.

You will see in my office the one I have been using since Februray last year and you will also see that while I cannot work without Nepa abi na Phcn that we do not have any standby generator in the office because as long as Phcn perform for up to 4 - 6 hours in a day, we have all that is required to charge the battery bank that the office depends on.

We build inverters according to orders which usually takes between 5 days to 10 days.

I will send the office address to you as requested to your box.

Enjoy!
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Orikinla(m): 9:46am On Jul 14, 2006
The progress and success of my fellow Nigerians excite me a lot. And that is why I am on Nairaland to know about more Nigerians in the virtual world and how you are all faring.

All you Nigerian geeks rock!

I am proud of you and I wish you the best always.

Just go on doing your best wherever you are.

"Only the best is good enough for us"~ Bishop Ajayi Crowther.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 11:42am On Jul 14, 2006
Orikinla,

Thanks for the kind words and I hope they were refering to directory project which isn't finished yet.

I took time off (2 days) to setup one that I believe will serve Nigeria businesses whether online or offline as in regular business directory and online business directory on the same site.

You may see www.justwebservices.com/jsearch and feel free to critic the site but remember it's just 48hrs work so don't be too harsh.

Enjoy!
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by kazey(m): 6:14am On Jul 15, 2006
You can get more than 500USD for that , even if it is a US client.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by coolmanlg: 6:59pm On Jul 15, 2006
Hello,

Look at this: www.fotonigeria.com. We did it. I believe we can do what you want if the price is right.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 12:03pm On Jul 16, 2006
Coolmanlg,

How right can the price be? fotonigeria.com is cool but I can't see any reason to believe that the 2 projects have similar requirements in terms of skill sets or proficiency in php.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Panache(m): 2:44pm On Jul 17, 2006
Kheme,

I'm always glad when I see a fellow Nigerian uploading more that downloading. Keep up the good work! There is no point to re-invent the wheel.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Orikinla(m): 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2006
Afam,
I have seen your online business directory and you are already perfecting it.

Well done!
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 4:54pm On Jul 21, 2006
Orikinla,

Thanks jare. Some projects won't allow me tidy it up the way I want.

Hope to find time next week to complete it. I simply want it to be free, fast and useful to Nigerians.
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by kheme(m): 9:43am On Jul 31, 2006
Thanks man! wink
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by deal4real: 7:52am On Aug 01, 2006
What would you charge for such a job?

Do you think the $9000.00 - $14000.00 is too much?

Afam,
we are also developing a website like this. I can't show u yet, but the price you are mentioning is not to much. Here in Europe you will have to pay about € 15000 - € 20000

www.2deal4real.com

Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by Afam(m): 8:26am On Aug 01, 2006
deal4real,

Thanks for the information. And why would such jobs cost that much in the UK?

I can comfortably tidy up a job like that in a week or 2 for less than $2,000.00. Why the wide price difference?
Re: What Would You Charge For This Website? by deb(m): 12:44pm On Aug 09, 2006
A little touch from me could change the whole look of the graphics on your site grin

If you want me in. I can help you out. check out my own company site: www.biosmart-ng.com
dont measure me with that I designed it 2 years ago. wink watch out 4 the new silverbird cinemas site
that I'm currently helping them re-design.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Change My Ip Address To Any Of These Countries / Airtel Internet Tip Forgoted Free Mb Still Working / Help With Google Adsense Configuration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.