Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,737 members, 7,882,548 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 08:25 AM

Cell Phones Are Bad - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Cell Phones Are Bad (1457 Views)

''Keeping Cell Phones Near The Head Is Dangerous'' / 15 Reasons Android Phones Are Better Than The Iphone / Dear Tecno , Thanks But Your Phones Are Crap! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cell Phones Are Bad by Zahymaka(m): 1:33am On Jul 10, 2006
I've always refused to get a cell phone but as my firm is going to start up this month, my partner has insisted I get one to talk to him, and to clients. I believe they're a nuisance. Here's a funny story taken from Sacramento News:

U.S. District Court Judge William Shubb became so frustrated with ringing cell phones in his courtroom last week that he resorted to some unusual search and seizure--much to the surprise of one senior citizen.

SN&R spoke to several attorneys who witnessed the tantrum. All asked that their names be kept out of this story--because they didn’t want to make the judge mad. Judge Shubb also helped fill in some of the details.

It was about 9:15 on the morning of June 28, in Shubb’s courtroom in the federal courthouse downtown. Shubb was presiding over the sentencing phase of a complicated criminal tax case.

“We were just getting started and were in the middle of a very important legal argument,” Shubb explained.

That’s when somebody’s cell phone went off.

“Shubb just stopped everything and said, 'Whose cell phone is that?’” one witness explained. It turned out that the phone belonged to a woman whom witnesses described as being in her mid- to late 60s.

The woman dug around in her purse but couldn’t turn the offending device off. That’s when Shubb unplugged his microphone and left the bench.

“You have to imagine this little guy, all red in the face, his robes just flying in the wind,” one witness explained. Shubb reportedly stormed through the courtroom, repeating, “Whose cell phone is that? Whose cell phone is that?”

“Then, she just sort of meekly raised her hand,” one attorney continued. The judge demanded the woman hand the phone over. She did. Then, according to witnesses, he flung open the courtroom doors and chucked the phone down the hall. “I didn’t throw it; I tossed it,” Shubb said in his defense. “I just wanted it gone.”

When he returned to the bench, he ordered marshals to collect every cell phone in the courtroom.

Shubb explained: Ringing cell phones had become a real problem during this particular trial. Five times before this incident, Shubb had to stop the trial to warn somebody whose cell phone had gone off. The cell-phone situation got so bad, Shubb said, that a defendant’s phone rang while he was on the stand. “There he was testifying, and there’s this extremely loud, obnoxious tone, playing right into the microphone,” Shubb said.

Halfway through the trial, the judge had two large signs reading “All persons are ordered to turn their cell phones off” posted at the courtroom’s entrance.

Judge Shubb has a reputation among attorneys for being a very intelligent but extremely short-tempered man. One attorney called Shubbs “a nutcase.” Another chalked up Shubb’s outburst to “federalitis,” noting that powerful federal judges like Shubb become “insulated from normal social interaction.”

Perhaps the phone-flinging was an understandable reaction from a man pushed too far. But Shubb’s not proud of it. “I’m sorry that had to happen. I wanted to make my point more strongly than I previously had done,” Shubb explained. “I regret that I had to take such severe measures.”

SN&R was unable by press time to reach the woman whose cell phone was seized and thrown (or tossed) by Judge Shubb. According to one witness, the phone was not working when it was returned to her later that day.

“It’s very important that people follow these rules and not disrupt important court proceedings,” Shubb concluded.
Re: Cell Phones Are Bad by ikamefa(f): 1:51am On Jul 10, 2006
zah cell phones are good and useful, i believe the woman in your  story should have turned  it off during the court session, am also  a  firm believer that cell phones should be turned off in schools, hospitals etc. they(cell phones) are essential when u are into business, in case of an medical  emergency, stranded , or in a tight spot.

judge shubb  has sko sko in his medulla oblangata, why toss  the phone? so much drama tongue
Re: Cell Phones Are Bad by diddy4(m): 2:51am On Jul 10, 2006
cell phone is so useful to our everyday life. without phones, i wonder what i wud have done.
Re: Cell Phones Are Bad by bluenubian(f): 2:54am On Jul 10, 2006
for all the times i have gotten lost on the road, if not for my cellphone, i would have been crying my eyes out. abeg thank god for cellys, we all jus need to remember when to turn of their phones or silence it
Re: Cell Phones Are Bad by hola2ng(m): 1:09pm On Jul 12, 2006
Life before cell phones was better. . lipsrsealed tongue
Re: Cell Phones Are Bad by Orikinla(m): 4:32pm On Jul 14, 2006
Cellphones are implicating as well.
Re: Cell Phones Are Bad by Slycks(m): 9:38pm On Jul 14, 2006
Cellphone is very momentum
Re: Cell Phones Are Bad by iice(f): 9:00pm On Jul 15, 2006
They are useful and impt but one has 2 knw where and when 2 turn it off, like in schools, church, cinema etc,
Re: Cell Phones Are Bad by agboifo(f): 9:29am On Jul 17, 2006
I agree that cell phones can sometimes be a nuisance. The rave is in ringtones, but it´s funny that for the past one year, my phone has always been on vibrate. I have a waist pouch and when it vibrates, I am the only one who knows, and it doesn´t depend on where I am. If I am in an important meeting, I simply ignore the vibration, and nobody else is the wiser. I guess the ringtone business won´t get my money tongue

(1) (Reply)

Send Free 30 Sms Each Day / What Can I Do ,my Phone Can`t Open Apllications Like Gallery,callendar Etc Nokia / Hp Mini Laptop Neatly Used For Sale:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.