Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,128 members, 7,890,782 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:23 PM

Soweto - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Soweto (3417 Views)

Best Shopping Mall In Africa - Soweto South Africa / For Holiday Tours To Suncity, Soweto, Pretoria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soweto by RSA(m): 9:04am On Oct 01, 2008
South Africa's most prominent township, Soweto, is a place of tremendous contrasts. The area has the only street in the world where two Nobel Peace Prize winners once lived, yet suffers one of the highest rates of murder and rape in the world. It is the richest township in South Africa, but has some of the most desperate poverty. It is the most political township, yet has the most nihilistic youth.

Soweto is enormous, stretching as far as the eye can see, with estimates of its populace ranging between three and four million. Like any city of that size, it is divided into a number of different suburbs, with unashamedly middle- and upper-class neighborhoods among them. At first sight, it appears an endless jumble of houses and shacks, overshadowed by palls of smoke. Once inside, parts of it have a village feel, especially if you are exploring on foot, and unlike any where else in Johannesburg, Sowetans will often stop to welcome you or to make conversation, despite your color.

Most of Soweto's tourist highlights are famous for historical reasons and are physically unimposing. That history, however, is action-packed, not least because here it is told with perspective and context rarely found in the rest of South Africa. For visitors it means an insight not just into a place famous from 1980's news bulletins for funerals and fighting, but into a way of life most Westerners have seldom, if ever, encountered.
Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 9:06am On Oct 01, 2008
Hector Pieterson Memorial - The Symbol of a Struggle

On the corner of Khumalo and Pela streets in Soweto stands a symbol of the 1976 student uprising which lead to the death of young Hector Pieterson. Beside the Hector Pieterson Memorial is a museum in which you will discover the history of this struggle. For many South African's Hector Pieterson became a representative of the fight for freedom from apartheid, bringing glory to his sad death.

At the tender age of 13 Hector Pieterson was killed in the Soweto Student Uprising. The strike began on 16 June of 1976. The peaceful protest march was made up of Sowetan students expressing their grievances against their method of education. One of the main points of dissension was the use of Afrikaans in school instruction. Not only was this the language of the people's oppressors, but it was also putting African children at a disadvantage. In Soweto's Orlando West area the police ordered the peaceful protesters to disperse. Unfortunately things turned violent and several students were injured and killed. Amongst them was Hector Pieterson. Photographer Sam Nzima caught on film Mbuyiswa with the injured Pieterson in his arms. This photograph was seen worldwide and highlighted the plight of black people in South Africa. This student march in Soweto soon blew up into a national uprising, affecting things on a large scale.

In 1976 the Hector Pieterson Memorial was founded to commemorate the student uprising. The museum was opened in 2002. Whilst walking through the museum you will find emotional photographs and video footage of the dramatic event. The museum gives deep insight into the intense fear, anger, pain and aggression that filled South Africa at that time. It also reveals the great effect this had on the downfall of apartheid's icy grip. Visits to the Hector Pieterson Memorial and Museum often feature on tours of Soweto, which is probably the best way to get to see this remarkable symbol. The haunting exhibits of the Hector Pieterson Memorial can be seen from Monday through to Saturday between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm, as well as on Sundays between 10:00 am and 4:30 pm

Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 9:07am On Oct 01, 2008
Ubuntu Kraal - Traditional Africa in the City

11846 Senokoanyana Street, Soweto, was not previously the location of Ubuntu Kraal, but an ash dump that was transformed into a cultural museum and it is privately owned. Set in the heart of Soweto, Ubuntu Kraal has seen delegates, actors, musicians and local and international visitors pass through its doors. Ubuntu Kraal has hosted concerts by the likes of Pitch Black Afro, and even had a local soap opera filmed at their location.

Ubuntu Kraal provides a little African peace and tranquility amongst the every day bustle of Johannesburg and Soweto. Not only does Ubuntu Kraal offer accommodation for the traveler that want to spend the night, but a range of facilities for day visitors as well. Ubuntu Kraal has fully equipped self catering, thatch roofed lapas, or you can make use of the Ubuntu Kraal in-house catering service. They provide traditional meals, and if you really want to experience true African foods, you are able to feast upon mopane worms, morogo, samp, sour porridge (Ting), and tripe (Mogodu).

For your entertainment, the Ubuntu Kraal in Soweto will thrill visitors with traditional tribal songs and dances, concerts and other events. They have two conference facilities, complete with television and video equipment, overhead and video projectors, white board, internet connectivity, public address system and flip chart. Ubuntu Kraal can also accommodate team building.

The Ubuntu Kraal facilities include beautifully maintained lawns for picnics and walks, a swimming pool, and calming waterfalls. There is an exhibition area, and is home to a variety of birds, for the bird watching enthusiasts. Tours of Soweto can be arranged by request, and even has a babysitting facility if parents do not want to take their children along on the tours. Ubuntu Kraal is also Disable Friendly, to ensure that all visitors are comfortable and well taken care of.

Ubuntu Kraal has ensured that it is completely equipped for the needs of the tourist, company or even the South African Government. Any function, may it be a wedding, graduation, or even a conference, is guaranteed to run smoothly, in the capable, friendlyhands of Ubuntu Kraal and its staff.

Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 5:19pm On Oct 01, 2008
The first two pics are taking insinde Maponya Mall one of the biggest mall in Joburg,and the last pics is just a pic of a day in SOWETO

Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 5:24pm On Oct 01, 2008
More Pics from Soweto

Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 5:26pm On Oct 01, 2008
soweto

Re: Soweto by morpheus24: 6:40pm On Oct 01, 2008
Carry on!
Re: Soweto by ikeyman00(m): 6:45pm On Oct 01, 2008
all these whiteman keepers na woo
Re: Soweto by ikeyman00(m): 10:23pm On Oct 01, 2008
it means south africa blacks should be accurate, precise, etc in their mentality and thinking in relation to their precisions??ha
Re: Soweto by SeanT21(f): 3:02am On Oct 02, 2008
Congrats to The White Men for Making South Africa what it is.
Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 7:59am On Oct 02, 2008
ikeyman00:

it means south Africa blacks should be accurate, precise, etc in their mentality and thinking in relation to their precisions??ha

Are Nigerians all that?the problem with people like you is they think they know but honestly they know nothing.It unfortunate that you carring my skin colour you are not different from any Europeans(except Europeans follow their speech with actions) I don't consider you my brother we have nothing in common excerpt skin colour of course.You are a loser and your people are scattered all over the world trying to survive nothing good ever come from your country and yet you have the decency to think that we are stupid?Open your eyes and look around,look where South Africa is and ask yourself if Nigeria will ever reach that level?
Re: Soweto by ikeyman00(m): 10:12am On Oct 02, 2008
hahhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaa like this lipsrsealed-dude

but there are lots of poor southafrican drug addicts over here in Uk!!

u think u can fool me?? think again

loser in the making!! keep fronting, u soon admit your vague position!!
Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 11:53am On Oct 02, 2008
ikeyman00:

hahhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaa like this lipsrsealed-dude

but there are lots of poor southafrican drug addicts over here in Uk!!
u think u can fool me?? think again

loser in the making!! keep fronting, u soon admit your vague position!!

They know they could come home and live a better life,since they're addicts they probably feel ashamed to come back home and disgrace their family but if u see them tell them to come home we still love them,I am guranteeing you that every south african in UK or US is a graduate or student and they will never live in UK for more than five years  becuase where they are coming from is much better.
As for a loser we know who a loser is,you.
You are like  hypies bouncing from one place to the other,some of you their relatives don't even know if they are alive or dead.I know one guy here is South Africa died in a car crash,he did'nt have relatives here or contactereble number for relatives in Nigeria, was kept in the moque for 3 months and they ended up burrying him as pauper.sad
Nigeria is a beautiful country(I was there two month ago) all it need is decent people,people who put their hands where their mouth is,people who don't have jealousy,and people who will have national pride not blind patriotism that suits them when they talk to people like us.And I met few of them the unfortunate part is its only few.
You should visit South Africa my friend,
Re: Soweto by igbogolo: 12:46pm On Oct 02, 2008
Dear RSA,
I really do not wish to be drawn into this vacuous debate about south africa and Nigeria. I think you are pretty young, so I would like to educate you about your past.

My grand mother is 84 years old. She was amongst the thousand nigerian mothers that sacrificed their blouses and wrappers so that naked south african women and men stripped by apartheid regime in south africa had something to cover their unclothedness.
In your bile RSA, do not forget the historic role that Nigeria played( including providing assylum and food and education for SA activists and residents) who were about to be crushed by the south african regime at that time. Without Nigeria, south africa blacks would have had to endure the bitter taste of white colonialism a bit longer. I will paste Bothas speech on this forum later for your sober reflection.
The same Nigeria has allowed your empire to grow and nurture here without hinderance. Yes am talking about MTN and Multichoice all in her bold show of brotherliness.
Dear RSA, I so badly want to tell you to shove your puerile ranting into your ass. South africa blacks are an embarrassment. you blacks of no identity and culture need JESUS.
You dangerous and uneducated blacks of south africa are the most violent, insecure, HIV infested animals on earth. Do you think clean streets and electricity is all that makes SA better?
Do not worry about the nigerian statistics all over the world. we are an enterprising people that will shake the world when we awake.
Re: Soweto by morpheus24: 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2008
igbogolo:

Dear RSA,
I really do not wish to be drawn into this vacuous debate about south africa and Nigeria. I think you are pretty young, so I would like to educate you about your past.

My grand mother is 84 years old. She was amongst the thousand nigerian mothers that sacrificed their blouses and wrappers so that naked south african women and men stripped by apartheid regime in south africa had something to cover their unclothedness.
In your bile RSA, do not forget the historic role that Nigeria played( including providing assylum and food and education for SA activists and residents) who were about to be crushed by the south african regime at that time. Without Nigeria, south africa blacks would have had to endure the bitter taste of white colonialism a bit longer. I will paste Bothas speech on this forum later for your sober reflection.
The same Nigeria has allowed your empire to grow and nurture here without hinderance. Yes am talking about MTN and Multichoice all in her bold show of brotherliness.
Dear RSA, I so badly want to tell you to shove your puerile ranting into your ass. South africa blacks are an embarrassment. you blacks of no identity and culture need JESUS.
You dangerous and uneducated blacks of south africa are the most violent, insecure, HIV infested animals on earth. Do you think clean streets and electricity is all that makes SA better?
Do not worry about the nigerian statistics all over the world. we are an enterprising people that will shake the world when we awake.

Igbogolo,

What is wrong with you. Enough of this Nigeria helped South Africa during Apatheid. I am beginning to get sick of hearing that rubbish over and over again. We are living in the present now. Let the South Africans know what other African countries did for them during Apatheid but stop there.
Does that give any one of us any privileges over the South Africans? The guy is showing you a part of his homeland he is proud of. What is the insult there?

Naija. Una too do I too know!

The guy is right when he says he is a first class citizen in his country and has no desire to leave when most of us are overseas truly living as second class citizens. See how many of us are dying on the trip to europe so he has a point.

It is understandable that the S. Africans were isolated and have lilttle relations to other Africans pre- Apatheid but what is more unfortunate is that the first outright mass contact with their brothers was with "Nigerians" who admittedly are one of the most difficult Africans to deal with so don't blame them.

Enlightenment is the key and not this childish " I am better than you" shit.
Re: Soweto by igbogolo: 2:43pm On Oct 02, 2008
MORPHEUS 24
People like you help foreigners to insult nigerians. Some little brat here said that nothing good can come out of Nigeria, calling us hippies and losers.
if nothing good can come out of Nigeria, what about the sacrifices we made for south africa back then?
do you think that you can live in the present without the ''past''? do you think relations are formed from nothing??
you are bold. very bold. you can hide under the protection of the internet to rant nonsense.
Re: Soweto by morpheus24: 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2008
igbogolo:

MORPHEUS 24
People like you help foreigners to insult nigerians. Some little brat here said that nothing good can come out of Nigeria, calling us hippies and losers.
if nothing good can come out of Nigeria, what about the sacrifices we made for south africa back then?
do you think that you can live in the present without the ''past''? do you think relations are formed from nothing??
you are bold. very bold. you can hide under the protection of the internet to rant nonsense.

First of, the word "Foreigner" is foreign to me as far as Africans are concerned and I don't consider RSA or any other African for that matter as such so I ain't helping anyone insult anyone.

The person who said nothing good can come out of nigeria is a buffoon and I wouldnt' exchange words with an unintellectual of that sort.

We made sacrificies for many African countries including S. Africa and willing chose to do so without any outright request for compensation and even if i think the S. Africans have accomodated us for quite some time now.

What Nigerians ask for in any country is a fair chance/competition to succeed using the best of our postitive abilities and in return contibute constructively to any community we intergrate with because unfortunately our country doesn't give the whole 140+ million of us to do so in our own back yards.

We have to stop this "We did this for you so you owe us this." The people have their own problems to deal with post apatheid so give them break.

If they refuse establishment of legititmate Nigerian businesses in S.Africa then likewise I would accept baring or creating barriers for them from Nigerian markets but thats not whats happening so explain to me what you imply when you say we helped them, Do you want some sort of acknowledgment for that fact or you want them to pay us money or allow us to invade their country.

I am bold enough to correct my own brother/Sister when I think he/she is wrong if thats what you are implying
Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 5:20pm On Oct 02, 2008
I apologise to all that I have hurt,It is just that it is difficult here to mention South Africa without being attacked.I was just showing you pictures of SOWETO,and what did I get?
Yes Nigeria played impotant role to most of the exiled people and we appreciate that.I think Thabo Mbeki who spend some of his time in Nigeria thanked people of Nigeria in parliamnet and on his visit to Nigeria on number of occassions.Mbeki worked very closely with Obasanjo and they created lot of positive things for Africa as a whole.
We are currently donating clothe,food,medical to people of Sudan,does that mean one day my grandson should mention that his grandfather was clothing and feeding Sudaness?

Aids,crime,xenophobiic attacks are happening in very poor places,people there dont care about relationships or who did what all they want is to survive and becuase of that you cant brush all of us with one brush.

As South African we love ourself and igbogolo I hope that one day you'll start loving your countrymen then maybe just maybe you will be happy for us for our succeses.Black man you're on your own
Re: Soweto by morpheus24: 5:38pm On Oct 02, 2008
RSA:

I apologise to all that I have hurt,It is just that it is difficult here to mention South Africa without being attacked.I was just showing you pictures of SOWETO,and what did I get?
Yes Nigeria played impotant role to most of the exiled people and we appreciate that.I think Thabo Mbeki who spend some of his time in Nigeria thanked people of Nigeria in parliamnet and on his visit to Nigeria on number of occassions.Mbeki worked very closely with Obasanjo and they created lot of positive things for Africa as a whole.
We are currently donating clothe,food,medical to people of Sudan,does that mean one day my grandson should mention that his grandfather was clothing and feeding Sudaness?

Aids,crime,xenophobiic attacks are happening in very poor places,people there don't care about relationships or who did what all they want is to survive and becuase of that you can't brush all of us with one brush.

As South African we love ourself and igbogolo I hope that one day you'll start loving your countrymen then maybe just maybe you will be happy for us for our succeses.Black man you're on your own

Continue your positive threads and don't succumb to some nigerians who think they know everything in this world. There are other people here who benefit from the exposure you are giving them

Ps I was not refering to you in any deragotory terms in my earlier post.
Re: Soweto by igbogolo: 5:40pm On Oct 02, 2008
@ morpheus

there  is no way that south africans can come out tomorrow to wash their hands and cry to the high heavens that Nigeria did not stand up for them!!!! We did and did with our blood and sweat! no jupiter can erase that. get it into your head.
You do not recognise who a foreigner is? in the light of the misplaced prejusice against Nigerians,of which RSA has displayed, better imbibe that word for your own safety. you are on your own if you do ''african brother and sisters in south africa. those people do not know who their brothers are otherwise the xenophobic attacks would not have happened.
RSA was  doing ok with his SOWETO post until he completely veered off at a tangent and displaced his innermost hatred for nigerians with his ugly and distasteful comments. i will not spare him.
You are the one bringing the ''i did this for you so u owe me syndrome'' here. there is no where on my post that I insinuated that. south africans must learn to respect other people including nigerians doing legitimate businesses in south africa!.
the xenophobic attacks on other nationals in south africa brings to the fore the inborn hatred these people have for others. meanwhile other nationals receive and accommodate south africans in their own countries.
and who is invading south africa? they are the ones invading us with dropped calls, terrible telephone service,  per minute billing on MTN and MULTICHOICE and their banks.
RSA will NOT acknowledge other Nigerians that are doing legitimate businesses in south africa, paying tax and employing the uneducated black southafricans yet he will have the bile to come to a nigerian website to insult nigerians.
Re: Soweto by igbogolo: 5:43pm On Oct 02, 2008
well am sorry and i apologise.
i concede my response was made in uncontrolled anger
but please next time, do not start such a hateful thread
it will not pass freely.
Re: Soweto by Busybody2(f): 5:52pm On Oct 02, 2008
RSA:

You mean whiteman made Soweto? Look Sean Iam not even going to open my mouth on you.,you see in South Africa europeans come to us we don't go to them,our people don't die in small boat in desperation trying to get to whitemans land.

It is sad that you think that way,while on the other hand you hop from one whitemans country to the other for better life,you are a second even a third class citizen where ever you go.While in South Africa I am a first class citizen it is my country whether it has infrustructure or not it is my country and I am leaving in it and making the difference.Look I don't want to use this as SA-Naija bashing,the reason I opened this thread was to show you the side of Soweto that most of you don't know.What is your problem nigga?

@ Morpheus24

He started it all by jumping down Sean21's throat thinking she is Nigerian. Are you having problems connecting the dot too like Kobojunkie  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed  grin

@ RSA

Not everyone who posts on this forum is Nigerian/have been to Nigeria.

Besides, SeanT21 is female and that is no way to talk to a lady angry
Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 6:17pm On Oct 02, 2008
Busy_body:

@ RSA

Not everyone who posts on this forum is Nigerian/have been to Nigeria.

Besides, SeanT21 is female and that is no way to talk to a lady angry

My apology to SeanT I thought she was a dude,but what kind of lady think like that anyway?

@Morpheus merci,like I said we dont need this fightings no one is gaining anything from it.Iwas in Nigeria in Lagos to be precise and its a beautiful country and i would love to visit again some other time,people I met where very friendly and I swear it felt like home.
This is a Travel section,where people who want to explore and visit come to.Dont want to talk politics here,its politics all the time here at home,its Zuma this Mbeki that the whole day.
@IGBOBOLO Dont worry I know,Its a Naija /SA thing,when one open their mouth you know what they are going to say and you have to be on guard to throw your own missile.
I attend laugh theraphy,every friday in my neighbourhood,so after 1, 2, 3, I want you to laugh with me cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy smiley wink grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Iam telling you it help
Re: Soweto by RSA(m): 6:20pm On Oct 02, 2008
Keep on laughing, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Soweto by ikeyman00(m): 9:32pm On Oct 02, 2008
igbogolo

i dnt think u owed anybody appology . There are just far too many dubious and vague character in here, u should not let them decieve at any instance. u can even post a porn film in here, but trust u dnt need to be that clever to understand the motive behind it. a lot of peopel here like to talk down on nigeria, mostly nigerians, they think they know, when they dnt.  dnt even wana picture the haters at the other side, u think u can fool me. huh

well for short, the truth is always straight, dnt have time doing bends!!!! nonesense

long live nigeria
Re: Soweto by shotster50(m): 1:48am On Oct 03, 2008
People its not just Nigeria Vs SA, Its Africans vs Africans.We are being pitched against each other. The fathers of the British Empire will be sitting in hell laughing at the monster they have created in Africa. We hate ourselves. If you have the time please go through this website and drop your comments here afterwards. http://thetalkingdrum.com/wil.html
Re: Soweto by igbogolo: 10:00am On Oct 03, 2008
@ iykeman . thanks.

I was almost settling down to enjoying the soweto post yesterday before RSA went bust.
RSA rained invectives on nigerians over a comment by a non nigerian. Its so embarrasing.
The other day a black man was fed to the lions in south africa. That incident reverbrated in nigeria. my entire family revulsed at the news and are still seething in rage about it till today. we hear all sorts of things including where a white man urinated in a plate and forced black labourers working with him to drink. to think that such crimes are still happening in a supposedly post apartheid South Africa and in this time and age is worrying.The annoying thing is that we Nigerians feel much as pained as the victims of these racist crimes in south africa. these are crimes that cannot happen in nigeria and we all wonder if south africa is still free?

RSA comments about nigerians isnt endeared to him alone. he just voiced the general perception most south africans have about nigerians. thats the truth. wole soyinka was detained and harassed in south africa last two years. that he is a nigerian icon did not matter to overzealous south african immigration officers who will not miss any opportunity to harass nigerians coming into south africa.

I was in SA in october 2007. its a beautiful country no doubt. the streets are clean especially in cape town. I enjoyed the shopping malls. but right from the airport, we were whisked into a waiting taxi. our hosts did not allow us breathe the evening air. we changed hotels 4 times. by the second week I was tired of running from immaginary robbers. every noise will wake me at night. I held my passport as if my life depended on it. we never left our hotel rooms unattended to even during roomkeeping. we had to follow the room keeper everywhere she went. I did not sleep, I could not take a walk, I could not do anything. i was either hearded into a car, a mall, a hotel room or am alwways turning and running, afraid some dark thief was after my life.

By the 11th day I was sick. sick of running and being cautious. My heightened security conciousness sapped me of energy and vitality. when the bellview aircraft touched down in Lagos, I kissed the nigerian soil. we might not be where we are today but there can be no where else like home!I slept without light that night but my windows and doors were open. I had drinks with my friends till about 11pm and drove home without a care in the world.

January 2009, I met three southafricans in weifang. one white two black. the white had an air. very confident and nice but the other two black southafricans were quiet withdrawn. they did not socialize and they avoided us( we were the only nigerians there). they were always alone even during dinner.but the white guy was about the place, representing south africa MORE than the two black men. and when he delivered the closing speech every one clapped. its so obvoius. he was more south african than the blacks who kept scurrying in the background. I was furious! angered by the fact that the blacks did not represent their country well before people from all over the world.

i can say without any equivocation that Nigerians feel for south africans. but its so annoying when we get the spit in the face. thats why i was amongst the ones that championed we relieve ourselves of the burden of being our brothers keepers. let the people of kenya, south africa, zimbabwe, serrie leone,liberia sort out their problems themselves. maybe until they do, they will begin to appreciate the efforts we put into making their countries a better place and learn to respect others.

RSA you may want to start another soweto post. This one has already been poisoned.
Have a good day!

(1) (Reply)

Let's Appreciate Justwise / Lagos Picture Gallery / Travelling To Usa Is Easier Than You Think:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.