Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,853 members, 7,930,970 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 12:57 PM

Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller (853 Views)

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) / Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? / Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller by Ndipe(m): 1:13am On Oct 04, 2008
Chunua Achebe’s widely celebrated novel, Things Fall Apart, has again confirmed its classical status as it has been named as a US national bestseller along with its author, the Empowered Newswire has reported.

The book, whose golden jubilee anniversasy had, in the past eight months, generated tributes and several commemorative programmes across the globe.

It has also attracted the attention of the biggest library in the world, the US Library of Congress, which has announced plans to celebrate it.

Founded in 1800, the library seeks to further human understanding and wisdom by providing access to knowledge through its magnificent colle- ctions that bring to bear the world’s knowledge in almost all of the world’s languages.

According to the USA Today, America‘s only national newspaper, and Associated Press, which compiles the National Bestsellers, Achebe‘s book took number 33 among the top US bestsellers list last week, ranking higher in sales than books on popular US presidential candidate, Barack Obama, and controversial Republican vice-presidential candidate, Sarah Palin.

There were only 50 books listed.

Also on September 22 at the George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia State, a reading session of the book drew over 1,200 people to the US school.

Achebe’s US-based medical doctor son, Chidi, said the event featured a traditional libation ceremony and the presentation of this year‘s Mason Award.

“Prof. Achebe enchanted the audience with readings from both his poetry and prose,” Chidi said.

Being a prophet recognised even at home, Nigeria had, earlier in the year, began the celebration of the book that most inspiringly captures the European invasion of African culture when the Association of Nigerian Authors organised a colloquium, readings, performances that took the novel to different parts of the country.

On October 3 and 4, a dramatic adaptation of it will be staged in Abuja by Jos Reppertory Theatre in collaboration with the ANA.

Chidi said Achebe “is blown away” by the number of events being organised to celebrate the the book’s 50th anniversary.

“He thanks all his friends, colleagues as well as strangers - wonderful people who love literature and the written word, who have been touched by his work and have been moved to put together these events,” he added.

As part of the US Library event, a symposium will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Room 119 of the Library’s Thomas Jefferson Building, located at 10 First Street S.E., Washington, D.C.

Following the symposium, ”An Evening with Chinua Achebe” w ill feature the author reading from his celebrated work at 6 p.m. in the Montpelier Room (LM-619) of the Library’s James Madison Building, located at 101 Independence Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C.

The symposium’s luncheon keynote address will be given by renowned African scholar, Ali Mazrui, Albert Schweitzer professor in the Humanities and Director of the Institute of Global Cultural at Binghamton University, State University of New York.

The closing keynote address is expected to be delivered by Ghanian playwright, Ama Ata Aidoo.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080929250648

PS: Another feather to Achebe's cap.
Re: Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller by savanaha: 1:19am On Oct 04, 2008
See Nigerians are making great strides. If only the apes in power would act more humanly then no one can touch this. The book is amazing though. I took an English class just to read it and I got to discuss it so I showed off my Igbo muscle. Had people in my English lecture saying Igbo words the right way.
Re: Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller by Ndipe(m): 1:29am On Oct 04, 2008
Nigerians have made their mark in the world. Just recently, Adichie was a beneficiary of the MacArthur "Genius" Foundation, and I have noticed that each time one is in the news, the other will be in the news too. I think it was last year when both of them won seperately but, right about the same time, two literary awards, Orange prize for fiction for Adichie, and Booker Prize for Achebe.

Things Fall Apart has really stood the test of time for fifty years. Impressive, and it is the most popular novel to come out of Africa. Which would come in the second spot?
Re: Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller by protocol(m): 6:19pm On Oct 06, 2008
that book is great and i read it three times daily. just finished reading it 3 hrs ago ;d ;d ;d
Re: Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller by Ndipe(m): 10:18pm On Oct 06, 2008
Do you guys know that Adichie once grew up in the same house that Chinua Achebe once lived?
Re: Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller by Nobody: 2:41am On Oct 07, 2008
Cool!!!
Re: Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller by fellybabe(f): 2:46am On Oct 07, 2008
very interesting. an uncle just bought pack of the movie @4,000k.

u need to see the old okonkwo now pete edochie.

villiage setting , very traditioned and african
Re: Things Fall Apart Now A Us Bestseller by ayomorocco(f): 8:06pm On Oct 07, 2008
Ndipe:

Do you guys know that Adichie once grew up in the same house that Chinua Achebe once lived?

Yes we do (at least, I do). i have read/watched over half a dozen interviews/articles where this fact is mentioned over and over.

(1) (Reply)

How Osama Got Away! / Common Mistakes People Make In English / English Literature Notes & Guides: Who Likes Literature???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.