Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,063 members, 7,949,647 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 03:04 PM

Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 - Education (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 (173700 Views)

MTN Scholarship 2014 Shortlists / MTN Scholarship 2014 Thread / Esso Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship 2014/2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Benny247(m): 10:46pm On Aug 09, 2014
cabaye:

coventry is another university of nigeria in the uk according to a phd candidate i met during the test. i was also told to expect seeing plenty of nigerian student both sponsored and self funded. nddc na their big customers.dont be suprised if every one offering your course are all round nigerians.lol
Simply put....Coventry a.k.a UniNigeria.....Na dia me I dey go Oooo
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Dantidote: 11:04pm On Aug 09, 2014
Benny247:
Simply put....Coventry a.k.a UniNigeria.....Na dia me I dey go Oooo

Na to apply there b dat
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by chivitech: 11:11pm On Aug 09, 2014
sifo:
Bros he didn't just say uniport he said Institute of Petroleum studies (IPS) uniport. Go make enquiries about the progam bro its way better than most UK unis for sure. I support 4mula22's statement fully. No be just to go get degree come house come dey find job again, u also need to consider the employment opportunities afterwards.

For argument's sake, lets say you are right. The question is "what are you guys doing on this thread and waiting for NDDC?". As a matter of fact, why apply for the scholarship when what is obtainable in UK is also obtainable here in Nigeria even at better quality? Lets' wake up and stop deceiving ourselves. Everyone wants to work in oil and gas industries, what happens to the remaining sectors in the economy? There are jobs everywhere, open your eyes and find them, then chose what to study. You go to UK and come back looking for jobs because you didn't do your feasibility study before going. All of us wanna work in oil and gas. maka why?
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 09, 2014
sifo:
Bros he didn't just say uniport he said Institute of Petroleum studies (IPS) uniport. Go make enquiries about the progam bro its way better than most UK unis for sure. I support 4mula22's statement fully. No be just to go get degree come house come dey find job again, u also need to consider the employment opportunities afterwards.

what are my chances of getting a job if i decide to attend institute of petroleum studies?
i also agree with the idea of not doing any kind of course but are you sincere that you can forfeit the scholarship if it becomes a take it or leave it situation.?

as for employment issues, i think those without working experience would still apply for entry level jobs regardless of their masters

1 Like

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by sifo: 11:54pm On Aug 09, 2014
cabaye:

what are my chances of getting a job if i decide to attend institute of petroleum studies?
i also agree with the idea of not doing any kind of course but are you sincere that you can forfeit the scholarship if it becomes a take it or leave it situation.?

as for employment issues, i think those without working experience would still apply for entry level jobs regardless of their masters
Boss I'll forfeit nddc scholarship without thinking twice.

2 Likes

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by sifo: 12:05am On Aug 10, 2014
chivitech:

For argument's sake, lets say you are right. The question is "what are you guys doing on this thread and waiting for NDDC?". As a matter of fact, why apply for the scholarship when what is obtainable in UK is also obtainable here in Nigeria even at better quality? Lets' wake up and stop deceiving ourselves. Everyone wants to work in oil and gas industries, what happens to the remaining sectors in the economy? There are jobs everywhere, open your eyes and find them, then chose what to study. You go to UK and come back looking for jobs because you didn't do your feasibility study before going. All of us wanna work in oil and gas. maka why?
1. Am on this thread because I did Nddc too and would like to know d final outcome whether I accept d offer or not
2. Why apply? Simple, to keep all options open at the time
3. Getting into IPS is a competitive if not more competitive than getting d NDDC award.
4. As for ur last comment about other sectors of d economy I fully agree with u on dat. So its all about wat interests u and wat career path u want to move on. So my statement was made with oil and gas in mind. But I still stand my ground dat employment opportunities with a UK MSc degree ain't as good as most people think. Coventry and co ain't worth it except there's no alternative . Except for d top schools like 4mula22 stated.

2 Likes

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Raffie20: 12:12am On Aug 10, 2014
While waiting 4 NDDC, I've already started my Msc in UI, well, NDDC don fall hands shaaa...
I may even forgo it sef...
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by DSSHQ: 5:28am On Aug 10, 2014
4mula22:

All them uk schools are just big names... especially those related to the oil and gas industry. I'm saying outta experience as we have some of the best professors of petroleum engineering lecturing in schools like uniport

I'd rather go to IPS (Institute of Petroleum Studies, University of Port Harcourt) for petroleum engineering than go to the UK (except Imperial college and Heriot Watt university)
This is just the truth.

1 Like

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by GlobalCareers: 7:42am On Aug 10, 2014
It is also difficult getting a job with a UK MSc in Nigeria. Good jobs are highly competitive. Only PhD holders have an advantage. If you do a PhD in the UK, you will be allowed to apply for one year extension to get a job in the UK.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by GlobalCareers: 7:47am On Aug 10, 2014
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by GlobalCareers: 7:49am On Aug 10, 2014
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by GlobalCareers: 7:52am On Aug 10, 2014
How is it doing the TB test and visa application in Abuja?

I am afraid of Lagos ooo? I prefer Boko Haram to Ebola.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by linton99: 9:01am On Aug 10, 2014
sifo:
hmmm una ehh...so if u finish from IPS uniport,them go gv u work abi??..
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by scientist235: 10:14am On Aug 10, 2014
The news will be good ,my testimony will be complete this month,God bless you all.IOM Abuja will give you your result same day if booked early morning,i heard lagos you come next working day for it or letter of authorisation for the bearer and national passport if you are not able to collect it yourself.payment for this month which is full already is 21040.take your national passport and photograph when going.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by sifo: 10:26am On Aug 10, 2014
linton99: hmmm una ehh...so if u finish from IPS uniport,them go gv u work abi??..
I said "Employment Opportunities" not Instant job offer. Even if u finish from MIT or Havard u still have to prove urself at interviews but some degrees give u more opportunities than others and the program structure at some schools is way better than others. Enough said
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Dantidote: 10:52am On Aug 10, 2014
scientist235: The news will be good ,my testimony will be complete this month,God bless you all.IOM Abuja will give you your result same day if booked early morning,i heard lagos you come next working day for it or letter of authorisation for the bearer and national passport if you are not able to collect it yourself.payment for this month which is full already is 21040.take your national passport and photograph when going.

Guy man u jst dey ginger us, u no gree tell us wetin dey... there's GOD oooo
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by scientist235: 11:12am On Aug 10, 2014
Raffie20: While waiting 4 NDDC, I've already started my Msc in UI, well, NDDC don fall hands shaaa...
I may even forgo it sef...
johns.... All the best this week

1 Like

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 10, 2014
GlobalCareers: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/international-office/immigration/current-students/tier4-des

Check the two links for more info on the doctorate extension

that depends on the UK skill shortage list.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 10, 2014
linton99: hmmm una ehh...so if u finish from IPS uniport,them go gv u work abi??..

i would rather hustle for a job with my bsc than to do a msc here in Nigeria.the only masters/higher education in Nigeria is lagos business school MBA.

1 Like

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by smo3: 1:15pm On Aug 10, 2014
cabaye:

i would rather hustle for a job with my bsc than to do a msc here in Nigeria.the only masters/higher education in Nigeria is lagos business school MBA.

I am with you on this one.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by sifo: 1:22pm On Aug 10, 2014
cabaye:

Bro do ur research well and make good enquiries. Post graduate schools like IPS uniport, CoE uniben and AUST abuja are as good as and even better than most of those UK schools that just want ur money. These programs all have international affiliation.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by chivitech: 1:51pm On Aug 10, 2014
sifo:
1. Am on this thread because I did Nddc too and would like to know d final outcome whether I accept d offer or not
2. Why apply? Simple, to keep all options open at the time
3. Getting into IPS is a competitive if not more competitive than getting d NDDC award.
4. As for ur last comment about other sectors of d economy I fully agree with u on dat. So its all about wat interests u and wat career path u want to move on. So my statement was made with oil and gas in mind. But I still stand my ground dat employment opportunities with a UK MSc degree ain't as good as most people think. Coventry and co ain't worth it except there's no alternative . Except for d top schools like 4mula22 stated.

Okay, I understand your point now and I am inclined to agree with you. With God's help, I made sure I got admission into at least 5 top schools in UK. I am going to the University of Oxford afterall to study Computer Science. So I think that in my case, IPS is not an option for me even if it comes begging and crawling.

The only case you are stuck with Coventry and the likes is if you have not gotten admission earlier or if you do not have enough money to complement NDDC's $30000. I got admission in Oxford by February based on faith that I would get a sponsor and I did my tb test in June based on the same faith.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by chivitech: 1:54pm On Aug 10, 2014

Bro, abeg help me ask them o
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by 4mula22(m): 2:29pm On Aug 10, 2014
cabaye:

For those interested in the oil and gas industry, do u know that IPS Msc in Petroleum Engineering is worth $25,000?
And it's being sponsored. Now how much is NDDC scholarship worth?

1 Like

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 10, 2014
sifo:
Bro do ur research well and make good enquiries. Post graduate schools like IPS uniport, CoE uniben and AUST abuja are as good as and even better than most of those UK schools that just want ur money. These programs all have international affiliation.

i understand where you are coming from about bogus universities in uk. its not worth doing some business and hse courses in the uk when we have nebosh in nigeria.

i would agree with you completely if you said nigerian masters would be a good option if you had a field related job at the moment but lets use my case study as an example: assuming i get the scholarship and my admission to portsmouth uni msc geology has been cancelled, nddc now offers the option of studying environ petroleum technology in coventry or forfeit it. what Will you advise me to do after all the stress??
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by sifo: 2:45pm On Aug 10, 2014
chivitech:

Okay, I understand your point now and I am inclined to agree with you. With God's help, I made sure I got admission into at least 5 top schools in UK. I am going to the University of Oxford afterall to study Computer Science. So I think that in my case, IPS is not an option for me even if it comes begging and crawling.

The only case you are stuck with Coventry and the likes is if you have not gotten admission earlier or if you do not have enough money to complement NDDC's $30000. I got admission in Oxford by February based on faith that I would get a sponsor and I did my tb test in June based on the same faith.
Good for you. But NDDC's 17800 pounds won't cover ur living expenses and accommodation so it means u have enough cash to settle that.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by sifo: 2:49pm On Aug 10, 2014
cabaye:

i understand where you are coming from about bogus universities in uk. its not worth doing some business and hse courses in the uk when we have nebosh in nigeria.

i would agree with you completely if you said nigerian masters would be a good option if you had a field related job at the moment but lets use my case study as an example: assuming i get the scholarship and my admission to portsmouth uni msc geology has been cancelled, nddc now offers the option of studying environ petroleum technology in coventry or forfeit it. what Will you advise me to do after all the stress??
Like I said b4 if u have no alternative then u can take it.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by csimms7: 6:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
I've been following all what you all have been saying and I have one thing to say to those who said they'd forfeit. That's real weak talk. Balderdash. Rubbish! Forfeit kor forfeit ni! Na lack of information dey kill us for this one country we dey oooo! Let's look at the facts here. As stated the first school in Nigeria to appear amongst the top schools came in at about 3000, all the schools affiliated with the nddc fare way better than that. IPS we are talking about is not a university. It's for professional courses! It's like going to India for a professional course in automation, instrumentation and control that's why it's expensive and their affiliates also. Let's argue here with facts. We are waiting patiently and I pray we all get this then make I see una wey wan forfeit.

2 Likes

Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Dantidote: 7:13pm On Aug 10, 2014
csimms7: I've been following all what you all have been saying and I have one thing to say to those who said they'd forfeit. That's real weak talk. Balderdash. Rubbish! Forfeit kor forfeit ni! Na lack of information dey kill us for this one country we dey oooo! Let's look at the facts here. As stated the first school in Nigeria to appear amongst the top schools came in at about 3000, all the schools affiliated with the nddc fare way better than that. IPS we are talking about is not a university. It's for professional courses! It's like going to India for a professional course in automation, instrumentation and control that's why it's expensive and their affiliates also. Let's argue here with facts. We are waiting patiently and I pray we all get this then make I see una wey wan forfeit.

I absolutely concur with u dear and i wud say ur indeed factual. i cant imagine me forfeiting.....wetin? I b Niger Deltan and dis is my share of the national cake either sweet or bitter i would grab d NDDC offer enthusiastically if given!!
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by sifo: 7:20pm On Aug 10, 2014
csimms7: I've been following all what you all have been saying and I have one thing to say to those who said they'd forfeit. That's real weak talk. Balderdash. Rubbish! Forfeit kor forfeit ni! Na lack of information dey kill us for this one country we dey oooo! Let's look at the facts here. As stated the first school in Nigeria to appear amongst the top schools came in at about 3000, all the schools affiliated with the nddc fare way better than that. IPS we are talking about is not a university. It's for professional courses! It's like going to India for a professional course in automation, instrumentation and control that's why it's expensive and their affiliates also. Let's argue here with facts. We are waiting patiently and I pray we all get this then make I see una wey wan forfeit.
No one said NDDC is bad we only made comparisons between the quality offered and opportunities available afterwards. My advice for u is to try and interact with previous nddc scholars and scholars from the Institutes I mentioned then draw ur conclusions from that, ur comparison with professional courses in India is completely wrong. I would want to go into details explaining IPS and d rest but that's not necessary here. This gist has derailed the thread enough biko let's go back into info on wen d mysterious invite will come in and TB test and lemme become a silent observer once more.
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by Dantidote: 7:34pm On Aug 10, 2014
sifo:
No one said NDDC is bad we only made comparisons between the quality offered and opportunities available afterwards. My advice for u is to try and interact with previous nddc scholars and scholars from the Institutes I mentioned then draw ur conclusions from that, ur comparison with professional courses in India is completely wrong. I would want to go into details explaining IPS and d rest but that's not necessary here. This gist has derailed the thread enough biko let's go back into info on wen d mysterious invite will come in and TB test and lemme become a silent observer once more.

My gud friend no one is rili out to derail anyone here. We sincerely appreciate ur tremendous contributions so far and as regard the invite any tangible info would be much welcomed rit now cos TIME and the rit INFO is rili of essence....
Re: Nddc Postgraduate Scholarship 2014 by csimms7: 7:36pm On Aug 10, 2014
sifo:

Bros with all due respect to you and what you know, I just might know more about IPS than you do. I know the opportunities with IPS and their affiliations but we can't compare an M.Sc outside with anything in Nigeria. I have friends and lots of them for that matter but then dem go still tell you say away dey better o. Let's just leave the argument as you suggested but I'd end it with this. Any school in the UK is better. Trust me on that. I'm talking out of experiences from people, past and present. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (73) (Reply)

Newsflash: ASUU Strike Has Been Suspended! / 2017/2018 UI Postgraduate Discussion Thread / Jamb Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.