Stats: 3,189,530 members, 7,937,529 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 07:19 AM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (214) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (489223 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:49am On Jun 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Porto pair propelling Portugal's title tilt[/size]

While Portugal’s defence has impressed so far at the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015, with just one goal conceded in three games, there is no doubt it is their attacking exuberance that has really caught the eye – as well as firmly placing them among the title favourites. Among the key weapons in coach Helio Sousa’s armoury has been the deadly partnership between two starlets from the Porto youth ranks: Ivo Rodrigues and Andre Silva.

“They’re both very important players for us,” said Sousa and his team’s stats bear that out. The Lusitanians, who will tackle hosts New Zealand in the Round of 16 in Hamilton, finished the first phase as the tournament’s second top scorers with ten goals – four going to Silva and two to Rodrigues. The former, a technically adept centre-forward with a knack for losing his marker, and the latter, a wide player who usually plays on the left flank but can also cause havoc on the right, tend to look for each other as their first option and – much to their opponents’ chagrin – generally succeed.

“We’ve known each other for several years now,” Silva, 19, told FIFA.com. “We’ve scored and created quite a few goals together. Sometimes we don’t even need to speak, things just come about instinctively because we’ve been playing together a long time and we’ve a very good understanding.”

The pair first met at 14 in a team that featured many of the best youngsters in the District of Porto, prior to working their way up Os Dragões’ youth system, though the time spent playing together is not the only explanation for their on-pitch chemistry. “He’s a very committed and ambitious player, with a lot of ability,” said 20-year-old Rodrigues, on his team-mate. “He’s got a real thirst for goals which, paired with my skill and unpredictability, contributes to our success.”

Admirers of both Ronaldos
Providing a tasty compliment to the duo’s undoubted spark is the clever movement and interplay of Portugal as a whole, particularly the likes of winger Gelson Martins – with whom Rodrigues often switches flanks, creative midfielder Rony Lopes and another wide-man, Nuno Santos, who has had a dramatic effect as an impact substitute so far.

In the view of 19-year-old Santos, a fervent admirer of ex-Brazil superstar Ronaldo, to the point of “watching videos of him to try and do some of the great things he did when he was playing”, it is team spirit and discipline that enables Portugal’s technical ability to shine.

“When we lose the ball we organise ourselves very well and are very strong at getting back to win it again,” said Santos, on the strengths of the 2014 UEFA European Under-19 Championship runners-up. “Then, when we’ve got it back, we’re even more energetic when it comes to attacking. We never stop pushing forward, we always want more and that’s what we aim to do for the whole 90 minutes.”

Rodrigues, more of a fan of another Ronaldo, Cristiano – thanks to his “hard work and the fact he never gives up” – feels that this Portugal team “are a very down-to-earth side. Over and above any qualities we might have, we never give anything up as impossible.”

Yet for all Silva and Rodrigues’ complimentary characteristics out on the field, it is not always the case away from it. “We’re very different people,” said Rodrigues, with the happy-go-lucky Silva taking things that touch further: “He’s a bit more serious, I think I’m more fun,” said the striker, barely containing his mirth. “What’s more, I’m always beating him on the PlayStation. Of every ten games we play I win eight and it makes him cry!”

“That’s not true,” Rodrigues fired back, well used to the No9’s sense of humour. “We played a tournament the other day between all of us and I won it, having knocked him out in the Round of 16. He’s a big fibber, he’s rubbish on the PlayStation,” added the wide man, whose battles with his club-mate on EA SPORTS™ FIFA 15 were restricted last term due to his loan spell with Vitoria Guimaraes.

Seriousness returns to proceedings, however, as the conversation concluded, the pair clearly united in their desire to drive Portugal to ever greater heights at New Zealand 2015. “We don’t see ourselves as the biggest favourites,” said Silva, before taking his leave. “That said, I believe in our quality. We’re a very strong team."

FIFA.COM[/b]

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 10:00am On Jun 10, 2015
Ukraine scores.

Terrible Senegalese attack. They just lack ideas in the final third.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by robosky02(m): 10:00am On Jun 10, 2015
achimotan:

we were outplayed today.the Malians surprised me with their workrate.they are a good team

I've not heard a Ghanian been this honest. that a good sportsmanship kudos
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:11am On Jun 10, 2015
Xlad:
What's wrong with senegal? they don't know how to play electrifying counter-attacks?

Everybody can't be like our boys at least they are competing hard im proud of Africa especially Senegal and Mali making it thus far with little or no preparation.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 10:12am On Jun 10, 2015
1-1

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 10:14am On Jun 10, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Everybody can't be like our boys at least they are competing hard im proud of Africa especially Senegal and Mali making it thus far with little or no preparation.

You said my mind. They had NO preparation. Travelling 24 hours a day to the tournament kickoff and still pulling off these kinds of performances.

We gotta give it up to them

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by jotey(m): 10:15am On Jun 10, 2015
LeeCodeman:
1-1
African teams dn improve sha

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Badosqi(m): 10:15am On Jun 10, 2015
1-1.. Nice one senegal.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 10:18am On Jun 10, 2015
Colombia missed a penalty. Trailing 1-0 to USA. USA has a red card.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:20am On Jun 10, 2015
Heart felt sympathy to the Ghanaians especially mrham03 who stood by his team and belief in the Flying Eagles.

I hope the remaining African teams do their best to bring this cup home to the continent of Africa.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 10:23am On Jun 10, 2015
Full Time 1-1

Extratime of 30 mins loading

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 10:23am On Jun 10, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
Heart felt sympathy to the Ghanaians especially mrham03 who stood by his team and belief in the Flying Eagles.

I hope the remaining African teams do their best to bring this cup home to the continent of Africa.
thank u bro, its very painful but life goes on. Gudluck to naija, senegal and mali.... I hope naija beats germany.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by AIG07: 10:32am On Jun 10, 2015
lexyman:

Basically it's a robot (software) that does the banning , called anti-spam . It can catch up with u anytime u post differently on different thread i ve experienced it ones , for 24hrs . I think the idea is good to regulate people that spam the threads with all sorts of quotes and write up.
hmmm. I never ask question finish na so i got hit by 24hours ban. But thank God sha-back in d house. Germany here we come.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:33am On Jun 10, 2015
mrham03:
thank u bro, its very painful but life goes on. Gudluck to naija, senegal and mali.... I hope naija beats germany.

I pray this Ghanaian team makes you guys proud in the future. They are very brilliant and talented.

By the way, the Coach of the Right To Dream Academy in partnership with Man City is very good. I think your FA should give him a chance to Coach the U17 team after this summer. He will do a good job finding gems for the team. He can combine the job with his Man City duties.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:38am On Jun 10, 2015
For those interested, watch 00:49 and see the goal a young Anelka scored for Arsenal. Tell me he did not move the same way AWO did in his second goal against Hungary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjZvc-2cUiQ

Wenger should sign AWO.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 10:38am On Jun 10, 2015
AIG07:
hmmm. I never ask question finish na so i got hit by 24hours ban. But thank God sha-back in d house. Germany here we come.

U must have been trolling the thread ....lol . German vs Nigeria on my mind . It's a pity one of my favorite is out of the competition ,I mean the black starlet . Senegal should work hard ,they ve really kept the Ukrainian at bay . It's a pity the score line is still 1:1

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Birikiti: 10:39am On Jun 10, 2015
Watching the Hungarians slug it out with the Serbians makes me know that the level of the Flying Eagles is quite high. Don't be complacent guys, play your hearts out and victory will be yours in Jesus name, Amen!

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 10:42am On Jun 10, 2015
Remember how we anticipated playing Brazil at the U17 WC, only for some other team to kick them out. That's exactly how some peeps are anticipating Germany. All is well smiley

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:43am On Jun 10, 2015
My advice to the Flying Eagles remain the same. Stick to the routines they did in training with the coach. That is enough to see them through.

PLAY TO INSTRUCTIONS AND STICK TO YOUR TEAM AND COACHES' PHILOSOPHY.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by jotey(m): 10:44am On Jun 10, 2015
full time USA 1 -0 Colombia

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 10:45am On Jun 10, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I pray this Ghanaian team makes you guys proud in the future. They are very brilliant and talented.

By the way, the Coach of the Right To Dream Academy in partnership with Man City is very good. I think your FA should give him a chance to Coach the U17 team after this summer. He will do a good job finding gems for the team. He can combine the job with his Man City duties.
thanks bro, i hope the ghana f.a gives him the chance to coach our team. btw if naija defeats germany then no one can stop them.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:46am On Jun 10, 2015
jotey:
full time
USA 1 -0 Colombia

Arsenal's Gedion Zelalem matches forward with the USA.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 10:47am On Jun 10, 2015
safarigirl:
Remember how we anticipated playing Brazil at the U17 WC, only for some other team to kick them out. That's exactly how some peeps are anticipating Germany. All is well smiley

But our Boys must kick some ass tomorrow ....we really need to prove that we re African champion . Bringing d cup to Nigeria will increase the love I have for them . #gosuperflyingeagles

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by honeric01(m): 10:57am On Jun 10, 2015
The US team is really progressing well. alot aren't looking at them but i think they are playing quite well.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Badosqi(m): 11:05am On Jun 10, 2015
AET Ukraine 1-1 Senegal.

Straight to penalty shootout.
GOD, I hate penalty.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 11:05am On Jun 10, 2015
Nothing sweeter than a penalty shoot out cheesy
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by honeric01(m): 11:08am On Jun 10, 2015
Ukraine missed her first PK
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by khattab02: 11:09am On Jun 10, 2015
I think by now Senegal and Ukraine should by playing penalty shoot out..

Any update on it please?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by honeric01(m): 11:10am On Jun 10, 2015
Senegal scored her first
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by honeric01(m): 11:11am On Jun 10, 2015
Ukraine missed her second PK.

WOW... SENEGAL IS 90% INTO THE QUARTERS

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by khattab02: 11:12am On Jun 10, 2015
safarigirl:
Nothing sweeter than a penalty shoot out cheesy
really?? Is it becos your team is not involved?

Sometimes if it is a team liked, I can't stand them missing ooo.....
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by honeric01(m): 11:12am On Jun 10, 2015
Senegal scored her second PK.

Now 0:2 about 2 each.

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)