Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,643 members, 7,979,188 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 10:44 PM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (496702 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by souldeep(m): 5:50pm On Mar 29, 2015
hello, please anyone knows where I can buy fattening weaners pig. Its urgent. Thanks y'all for ur post
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by souldeep(m): 5:54pm On Mar 29, 2015
hello, please anyone knows where I can buy fattening weaners pig in Edo state? Its urgent. Thanks y'all for ur post
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by pepcymoses: 8:57pm On Mar 30, 2015
am interested in pig farming am based in cross river some 1 help me plsss how much can I start with I wanna start with five pigs
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by toju1(m): 4:50pm On Apr 03, 2015
lagbaja:
Here are some of my farrowing pigs sucking on the water ni.pples.

Piggery can command even more revenue if you combine it with fishery. On my farm, we use our pig manure for growing maggots which we feed to our catfish. It saves on cost of fish feed and promotes quicker growth of our catfish. One pig's manure can produce up to 20kg of catfish per annum.

A very good day to you.pls i am new on this platfoam.can i get you phone no.i am interested in this.very new and would like to ask you very important question.my email.toriseju2002@yahoo.com. 08033515339. Thank you
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by REUBEN010(m): 5:52pm On Apr 05, 2015
Gud day house. Pls is there any pig farmer in Uyo? I need the contact info.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by glowdot4: 10:54am On Apr 06, 2015
Help!!!!!!
I am starting my farm wit 6 pigs so I employed an experienced attendant that will help take care of d pigs because am still working. The pigs will arrive my farm already crossed (largewhite crossed with durok),the attendant is asking for 50k to buy feed(pkc,bdg,groundnut cake,industrial salt and soy meal) then I asked how long will they eat it, he said 2-3 months. Is pig rearing that expensive? I thought I should share with you. My farm is in apata in ibadan and this is my first time wit pigs. Sincerely I dnt ve 50k to buy feeds. He said its beter to buy d feeds in bulk dan buying piece meal. Pls I need your input asap, I cnt be milked on ur watch.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 11:24am On Apr 06, 2015
glowdot4:
Help!!!!!!
I am starting my farm wit 6 pigs so I employed an experienced attendant that will help take care of d pigs because am still working. The pigs will arrive my farm already crossed (largewhite crossed with durok),the attendant is asking for 50k to buy feed(pkc,bdg,groundnut cake,industrial salt and soy meal) then I asked how long will they eat it, he said 2-3 months. Is pig rearing that expensive? I thought I should share with you. My farm is in apata in ibadan and this is my first time wit pigs. Sincerely I dnt ve 50k to buy feeds. He said its beter to buy d feeds in bulk dan buying piece meal. Pls I need your input asap, I cnt be milked on ur watch.

He may be trying to rip you off. I am guessing your pigs are gilts ( about to cross ). Your pigs should eat 4% of their body weight daily. Assuming they are already 60kg, it means they should eat about 2.4kg each per day. If your compounded feed cost per kg is N60 ( reasonable price ), each will eat N1500 worth of feed per month. For 6 pigs, that's about N9000 and for 3 months, about N27k.

My advice for you is to agree with him on a feed routine as above, get his feed formula and the cost of the feeds, do your maths. Also, be there when the feed is purchased.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by glowdot4: 11:31am On Apr 06, 2015
Thank you for your prompt response@ lagbaja.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by REUBEN010(m): 6:08am On Apr 07, 2015
REUBEN010:
Gud day house. Pls is there any pig farmer in UYO? I need his/her contact info.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 9:31am On Apr 07, 2015
@glowdot4, pls check the analysis given by lagbaja carefuly

4% of 60kg of gilt weight is 2.4kg of feed that the 60kg pig will eat in a day so in a month it will be 2.4kg X 30 days = 72kg

Hence if your feed is made at N60 per kg then 72kg will be comsumed by a pig in a month will cost 72kg X N60 =N4,320

Then 6 gilts of same sizes & weights will eat N4,320 X 6 = N25,920 worth of feed in a month

So in 6 months 6 gilts of same sizes & weights will eat N25,920 X 6months = N155,520 worth of feed

But mind you since they are pregnant they will eat more as they increase in size per month before they liter and as soon as they litter after 3moths 3 weeks 3 days 3 hrs 3min 3sec , the sow will eat more to breast feed the piglets well & to get robust sizes piglets.

Also on or before 8 weeks the piglets may start to eat part of the feed so tat feed will not take them 6 months.

So pig business must be calculated well ordewise you may not get the good result.

Thanks to Oga Lagbaja, am not disputing your advise but l only notice a small oversight. You can still view my analysis & make correction.
Many Thanks

Pls also stick to the final advice made by Lagbaja below:

My advice for you is to agree with him on a feed routine as above, get his feed formula and the cost of the feeds, do your maths. Also, be there when the feed is purchased.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by glowdot4: 8:08pm On Apr 07, 2015
Wow, great house indeed. Lagbaja n Boluwajokosegun many tanx for your time. More questions please, I will keep asking until I get my bearing pls bear with me. Is maize chaff from pap(left over after sieving for ogi) safe for the animals and how will it be presented(dry or wet). How safe is cassava peel or flakes and how will it be fed? Can they be fed along side other feeds? Then what is the different btwn the local pkc and industrial pkc? Thank you for your help so far.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by batomyde: 10:05pm On Apr 07, 2015
I need nipple drinkers for my pigs. do you know where i can get to buy? you can reach me on email batomyde@gmail.com
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 10:04am On Apr 08, 2015
boluwajokosegun:
@glowdot4, pls check the analysis given by lagbaja carefuly
4% of 60kg of gilt weight is 2.4kg of feed that the 60kg pig will eat in a day so in a month it will be 2.4kg X 30 days = 72kg
Hence if your feed is made at N60 per kg then 72kg will be comsumed by a pig in a month will cost 72kg X N60 =N4,320
Then 6 gilts of same sizes & weights will eat N4,320 X 6 = N25,920 worth of feed in a month
So in 6 months 6 gilts of same sizes & weights will eat N25,920 X 6months = N155,520 worth of feed
But mind you since they are pregnant they will eat more as they increase in size per month before they liter and as soon as they litter after 3moths 3 weeks 3 days 3 hrs 3min 3sec , the sow will eat more to breast feed the piglets well & to get robust sizes piglets.
Also on or before 8 weeks the piglets may start to eat part of the feed so tat feed will not take them 6 months.
So pig business must be calculated well ordewise you may not get the good result.
Thanks to Oga Lagbaja, am not disputing your advise but l only notice a small oversight. You can still view my analysis & make correction.
Many Thanks
Pls also stick to the final advice made by Lagbaja below:

Thanks for the correction Boluwajokosegun, there was an error in my calculation. I Agee 100% with your analysis. Your man may be right after all, just be vigilante nonetheless.

glowdot4:
Wow, great house indeed. Lagbaja n Boluwajokosegun many tanx for your time. More questions please, I will keep asking until I get my bearing pls bear with me. Is maize chaff from pap(left over after sieving for ogi) safe for the animals and how will it be presented(dry or wet). How safe is cassava peel or flakes and how will it be fed? Can they be fed along side other feeds? Then what is the different btwn the local pkc and industrial pkc? Thank you for your help so far.

Maize chaff from pap is very rich in protein. It's good for your pigs. You can feed them wet or dry. Cassava peel is equally ok, ensile it to make it safe. Local pkc is first crush, they have better smell loved by pigs and has more oil than the industrial ones.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by glowdot4: 7:11pm On Apr 08, 2015
@lagbaja I dey feel u. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by zeestone99(m): 12:26am On Apr 09, 2015
Niyoga:
Who is at oke-aro farm, I'm new in the business

Neva knew this eye opening thread exist I have a farmer @ oke aro farm u can call for consultation and she can help manage ur animal.... Call Mrs philomena 08186494623
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Anthofrie(m): 9:51am On Apr 13, 2015
Respect to all our mentor in the house. I kick start my pig farm on 6/4/2015 at oke aro farm.
I start with 4 about to cross (sow).
I am happy to join the league .
Thanks, God bless u all.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by boluwajokosegun: 12:03pm On Apr 13, 2015
@Antofrie, u are welcome to d club. Pls can u give us d breakdown of what it cost u to start d project.
Cost of each about to cross gilt
Cost of pen
Cost of monthly labour
Cost of monthly feeding
What is ur plan ? Expansion or fstten

So that we can advice
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Anthofrie(m): 2:08pm On Apr 13, 2015
boluwajokosegun:
@Antofrie, u are welcome to d club. Pls can u give us d breakdown of what it cost u to start d project.
Cost of each about to cross gilt
Cost of pen
Cost of monthly labour
Cost of monthly feeding
What is ur plan ? Expansion or fstten

So that we can advice

Each about to cross cost #10,000 x 4 =#40,000.

The pen cost #2,500 per month by 12 months =30,000.

I have a friend in the farm taking care of them.

Feeding and medication , so far I've spend #6,000. We've deworm them last week. This week we'll give them iron, multivitamin & LA before they come on heat.

I intend going into breeding and fattening.
Your most advise is needed.
Thanks to all our oga in the house.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by zeestone99(m): 4:30pm On Apr 13, 2015
Congrats broda...
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 10:19pm On Apr 14, 2015
Hi Farmers,

Thanks for all the e-mails and sales

We have sold about 126 using this platform in the last month.

We have about 50 weaners ( 15kg) , selling

Them @ 8k each, minimum of 10.

Our last delivery towards Lagos axis is 26th of April.

Am going to be inseminating another batch of sow on the 18th - 21st of April. Using PIC 337

If you are interested in in-sow you will be allowed to come in and learn and see how we inseminate them ; but you willl have to shower and follow our bio-security rules.

It's 70k per inseminate sow; kindly mail to book ahead

I went today for PIC roadshow in irene, met the MD of keken.com.mx ( check the website); they have a 52,500 sow production line with close to 300 stores in Mexico ;1,600 staff in there processing plant;exporting to japan,HK, etc; slaughtering 27,000 pigs weekly; they generate dia own power from the waste and irrigate jethropha with waste water; Mexico has alot of things in common with Nigeria
I was inspired and saw so much potentials in this industry; less than 5percent of eligible ( Christians)Nigerians consume pork ; we haven't scratched the surface yet. Pork still remains one of the cheapest protein source of meat; healthier than beef,goat etc

Watch out for the pork producers association of Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by bisam(m): 4:14am On Apr 15, 2015
lagbaja:
That's a good price. Perhaps, it's location specific. It makes sense to buy it dry. Where in Ibadan is it sold ?. Does anyone know if same is available in Lagos?
That is the range for Cadbury spent grain.the cost of tramsportation is even the larger part of the cost.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 8:19pm On Apr 18, 2015
please who can supply brewery waste @ayetoro itele road reasonable price
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 8:32pm On Apr 18, 2015
cadbury preferable or sona
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ACESON: 5:24am On Apr 21, 2015
ops:
@Lagbaja; I'v

@Lagbaja; Retail price of dry brewery waste in ibadan is between N11-N15 per kg. I had to confirm earlier 2day because I was surprised when you said whole cassava is cheaper than brewery waste.
Mayb the price is location specific though. I've been using spent grain for years but I had to confirm your analysis.

please where in ibadan and can i get contact details.i need some dry brewery waste for a project.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Omoonda: 11:09pm On Apr 21, 2015
We have, in past 7 months, started a pig farming near Oyo. I am glad to learn from this forum, and thanks to Deji for pointing me here. We acquired a few of initial stock from OBJ and we've also tried a number of sources including more recently from Deji's Ilorin farm.

The Pork Producers Association is a veritable platform that we all need especially as we must reduce cost via pulling together our collective weights.

keep well.

Sunday (Omo'onda)
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by glowdot4: 9:39pm On Apr 22, 2015
Team, my pigs were crossed 2wks ago and are supposedly pregnant. How do I confirm they are pregnant and what should I expect or what am I suppose to watch out for if they are truly pregnant. Awaiting ur response. Regards.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by jaz(m): 12:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
whats's the market demand like in Nigeria
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by niyiolamide1: 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2015
I have easy to install pig ni.pple drinkers for sale.
If you areinterested call 07062408157 or email niyiolamide@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 1:04am On Apr 24, 2015
Hello Farmers,

I have some Hyperactive matured breeding Boars(male pigs) for Sale.

They are of different breeds such as Large White, Large Black and Duroc breeds.

We also have plenty fast growing and well bred Growers and Weaners for sale.

Farm location is at Ota, Ogun state.

Call or SMS 08034209301 for more details.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 1:10am On Apr 24, 2015
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by souldeep(m): 5:24pm On Apr 24, 2015
Greetings to the house.
I stocked about 20 growers pigs weighing btw 15-22kg for fattening purpose. plss I need a cheap and good feed formulation ratio so I won't run at lost. please someone help me with this information asap. Thank u'all for the previous threads.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Darfemi(m): 6:30pm On May 01, 2015
Good day to all d ogas in d house, pls I want to know if it is advisable to have a pig house and a poultry pen within same vicinity in a farm. thks

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.