Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,676 members, 7,951,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 03:48 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (494023 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by muyiroro: 10:52am On Dec 25, 2015
femu:

Nice looking. Eye candy!

It's difficult to talk about the advantages or disadvantages of a system without experiencing it.
Definitely cleaning will be easier but i would rather use the extra tiling costs to buy more pigs.

Aside the costs, won't it be slippery for grown pigs especially when they want to mate?

Do they do more of breeding or fattening?

A good way to evaluate the system of any farm is no of years they have been operating and years of operating a particular system successfully with good output

Thanks for your contribution. I think they do more of fattening, one of the farmer told me no matter how strong the floor of the pen is pig will dig hole in no time . But with tiles they can't dig any hole on the floor and it last longer than concrete floor.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Latty88(f): 12:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
wink
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by phillings247: 4:53pm On Dec 25, 2015
am in need of local pig breed.call or whatsapp me on 08027915498
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ciouxox(m): 8:13pm On Dec 25, 2015
It looks neat and beautiful but would have preferred same tiles for esthetics grin
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 11:18pm On Dec 25, 2015
FRANCOXAV:
Hello great and undaunted FARMERS

Please I am from Anambra State but I wanna get a good breeding line for my newly built piggery. I have heard of WAGON and others.

Which is the best and how do I source it. I need help.

Which part of anambra?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FRANCOXAV(m): 7:13am On Dec 26, 2015
Isuofia
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by glowdot4: 12:21pm On Dec 27, 2015
muyiroro:
Thanks for your contribution. I think they do more of fattening, one of the farmer told me no matter how strong the floor of the pen is pig will dig hole in no time . But with tiles they can't dig any hole on the floor and it last longer than concrete floor.

u mean the tiles are made with a material stronger than concrete?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Paulordiah(m): 2:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
I NEED 5GILT AND 2 BOAR FOR BREEDING STOCK. PLEASE CALL 08130378328
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2015
[quote author=Paulordiah post=41388005]I NEED 5GILT AND 2 BOAR FOR BREEDING STOCK. Just 1 boar is enough for 5gilt,unless u wish to fattening the 2nd male n sell
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Paulordiah(m): 3:44pm On Dec 27, 2015
I WANT TO BUY BREEDING STOCK. IF YOU HAVE PLEASE REPLY. THE FOLLOWING INFO IS NEEDED AGE, WEIGHT. BREED AND PRICE.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by muyiroro: 7:56pm On Dec 27, 2015
glowdot4:

u mean the tiles are made with a material stronger than concrete?
That was what the farmer to me and most of the pen around that place is floor with tiles
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FRANCOXAV(m): 9:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
Aguata local government, precisely, Isuofia.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Fvine: 11:32pm On Dec 29, 2015
femu:

You can find Bacon in some major supermarkets and malls all over lagos.

Fresh Pork is available at all major busstops in Lagos.

You can also buy at Okearo and Lagos Abbatoir

Follow "Pork Advocates" on Facebook for more porky updates

https://www./138998689802089/

Can you please give me directions from Egbeda or Iyana Ipaja to the Lagos Abattoir or the major bus stops where I can find it. Thanks. I'll check out the Facebook group.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Fvine: 11:34pm On Dec 29, 2015
tayo52:
once u reach iju ishaga take bus going to oke aro wen u reach there take 50bike to pig farm u will get more than enough

Thanks. how do I get to Iju Ishaga from Egbeda - Iyana Ipaja axis?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by teepain: 5:02pm On Dec 30, 2015
Hello fellow pig farmers, pig Pens are available for rent at Ajebo town (besides foursquare church) on Lagos Ibadan Expressway.

For those who may be interested 20 room pig pen too will be available for sale at the same location starting from 2016.

If you are interested you can get the details via mail at
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 7:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
FRANCOXAV:
Isuofia
.. Ok. Far from nkpor.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 7:45pm On Dec 30, 2015
FRANCOXAV:
Isuofia
.. Ok. Far from nkpor.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FRANCOXAV(m): 10:16pm On Dec 30, 2015
I would like to pay a visit to ur farm, i know that am gonna get more inspiration . Is it possible?

ote author=FarmTech post=41494308]
Ok. Far from nkpor.[/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FRANCOXAV(m): 11:48pm On Dec 30, 2015
I wanna visit ur farm at Nkpor, is it possible?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Toyins(f): 2:10pm On Jan 06, 2016
Please I am looking for a farm land around Abeokuta- Ibadan road to start my pig farm this year. God bless all of our mentors in this forum. (An Acre).
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by omode2(m): 10:16pm On Jan 06, 2016
Happy New Year to all Pig Farmers hope we make more Money this Year. Sourcing for finance is one of d major problems facing small scale pig farmers.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Don4eva(m): 9:32am On Jan 08, 2016
Hello Everyone, I want to know how I can artificially induce heat in my sows?
What drugs do I use?
Is there any disadvantages involved?
Please my Oga's put mouth abeg
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dadson2009(m): 10:58am On Jan 08, 2016
Rearing of pigs is good but the odour is the problem wen ppl start complaining
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 12:32pm On Jan 08, 2016
dadson2009:
Rearing of pigs is good but the odour is the problem wen ppl start complaining

If you clean properly and regularly odour is reduced.
Also you can reduce order by proper feed formulation and pig pen design.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Pigexpert: 4:28pm On Jan 08, 2016
You can induce gilts by exposing or placing them close to a boar for 30 minutes morning and evening.
During this period you can also increase their food so that they can produce more eggs

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Don4eva(m): 9:24pm On Jan 08, 2016
Pigexpert:
You can induce gilts by exposing or placing them close to a boar for 30 minutes morning and evening.
During this period you can also increase their food so that they can produce more eggs
Thanks boss, like how long will it take them to come on heat with this method?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 1:36am On Jan 10, 2016
Hello Fellow Farmers,

Happy New Year to you all!.. We pray that 2016 will be better than previous years.

I hope we have all drawn our goals and plans for 2016; Piggery requires alot of planning, research, we should all plan to improve our farms this year,
remember, the key to a successful piggery are : Good Breed, Good Feed, Good Management,.. i think this year we should include .. "Processing" ( adding value to it).

I will like to write on Management :

Lets start with a proper farm record this year, buy an exercise book or use Ms excel, or if you are a tech savvy, look for a software to manage your piggery .
A farm is as good has the records it keeps.. get to know your pigs, tag them, number them, either using a tattoo or buy tags to identify each pig and document it,ensure there is something to identify that particular sow or boar; keep the record somewhere, duplicate them somewhere else as back up.." I know alot of us have excellent memories, but remember, "the shortest pencil is better than the longest memory".

** Calculate your input, how much do you spend monthly, compare to your weight gain? Are you really making profit? If you are.. how much are you making? ( alot of pig farmers, aint making money, they just think they are) lets do it better this year.

*** Make New Year resolution to increase consumption:

This year, am committed to mentoring 4 farmers, who are willing to venture into pig farming and processing it to pork, bacon, sausage.
Am also committed to donating Pigs to , Orphanages,old peoples homes,Church programs, Youth programs.. any program that will increase awareness and reduce the stigmatization of pigs in Nigeria ( If you know of any, pls. email me).

I think we all have to try and do the something this year..lets all pig farmers donate 1 pig for a church program in 2016, slaughter it,
get someone to make pork suya and asun ,( am sure it will produce a sweet smelling aroma to God).
Pay your Pig farm tithe as a pig , donation to your church,instead of selling the pig and giving the money ( Pls dont tell your Pastor i said it o!).
If we all do this. we will increase consumption by atleast 50% and be more profitable..

** I will do less of nairaland write ups, has i prefer a more interactive platform i am shifting to the facebook group of PPAN, https://www.facebook.com/Pork-Producers-Association-of-Nigeria-1626885620896918/

This week, i will be in Nigeria, to inseminate a batch of sow, ( artificial insemination) i will share pictures of the process on facebook, as i remember the previous picture, i shared here didn't go well with the moderator.

Lets share more information on this group, let is not only be about sales, questions.. lets push this to the front page of nairaland.

Together we can do more

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Eefosa1: 2:56pm On Jan 11, 2016
DEJI PLEASE CAN YOU SUPPLY ME THE NIPPLES DRINKER QTY 6 ASAP
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by moniyitan: 2:21pm On Jan 13, 2016
dejia:

Hello Fellow Farmers/ Potential Farmers,

This month ( October) was so fast! i will try and write a few advice for those looking into " our industry".

I promised to write about Management and the Nigerian factor

** Management: uhmm.. like i have written in some of my previous posts, We have 3 major factors to succeed in Piggery, they are

1) The Breed ( Genetics)

2) Feed

3) Management

Management for me is the biggest among the 3 factors, alot of us think Labour is cheap, "why do i have to automate,

Nigeria is a country, where the minimum wage is N18,000; so why do i have to spend so much money on automation? I will

rather employ someone to do the job than spend alot of money ( drinking nipples, slated floors,farrowing crates)"..

Labour in Nigeria is inefficient, unreliable, scarce and one of the biggest challenges most farmers in Africa .

In Nigeria its worse, in my 3years as a pig farmer, i have lost count of how many farm workers i have employed, i have tried, Togolese, Benue, Igbo, Yoruba

Tiv, Nassawa boys etc... Most of them work when you are there, they work when they want to and dont follow instructions.

They also dont come cheap.this is a major factor constraint in our industry. Pigs have specific time they need to be fed, to convert it ultimately

; i love to compare pigs with human beings, what is the point, when instead of you giving a child food 3 times a day,

you put his breakfast and lunch in the microwave and at night, you give him the 3 meals.. will that child be as healthy as

a child given his 3 meals has at when due?

** Skilled Labour: Well, am sorry to say,.. the graduates coming out of Nigerian Universities these days are something else..

I have employed Master degree holders, who will cross their legs and do nothing and cant even keep farm records. some cant use Ms.excel

I have employed a Vet Doctor, who couldnt diffreniate between a castrate Male pig from an uncastrate pig.

You have so many people claiming to be vet doctors who cant inject correctly, who cant read pig behaviours;

There are quacks who claim to be vet doctors. all these are big issues that have to be considered before setting up a piggery..

For alot of farmers or people looking at farming " inabsential " ( you are abroad, and you are looking into having a farm

in nigeria or you are working and want to have it as a side business). This is a big factor that i will recommend

you take time to look carefully.

The Nigerian Factor:

There are stories of farm manager making substandard feed, we have cases of feedmillers cheating the farmer etc.selling unpalatable feed

Most successful farms in Nigeria, now hire expartriates from China, India and SA, not because they know the job better

maybe because they dont understand what is called " Nigerian factor"

I can write a book on Management issues especially on Nigerian factor, i will advice that people going into piggery should

look into ways to reduce it; it is believed you cant eradicate it completely, you can only reduce it.

Also I will advice people looking into piggery to try and automate as many things as they can. Network with

people who have experience, get consultants who have experience to consult for you. You also need to do alot of Research, read books,

there are thousands of materials all over the internet on piggery, some are not applicable in Nigeria, some are relevant while others are not.

*** Farm Record:

Alot of young people ( including myself) are into farming, but most of us are still doing it the old way, the way the

illerates do it, i have visited alot of farms in Nigeria, and they cant tell me, how much feed their pigs eat per day or

how much it cost? Farming is all about " Input and Output" it is pure Mathematics, in Piggery, all we are doing is converting

feed to meat ( for those fattening). You have to know your cost per day, per animal .

farm record keeping is has important has the farm itself

you need to know when your pigs were born, when they are supposed to be weaned, when they attain first heat, etc.

in some countries, they monitor the cycles of their sows to know when they will be on heat.( Secret for having large

number of piglets). You need to either tag each pig or tatoo them, or have a way of identify each of your breeders stock to keep

proper record.

** Digital Scale:

You also need to have a digital scale to weigh you pigs on a regular basis to know if you are making profit or not.

Alot of farmers dont have scales, some have " hanging scales" which i think is " Barbaric " to hang a pig upside down

just to check its weight. Some sell pigs just by the way it looks (lol), this is 2015.. we need to measure correctly.

I will recommend that anyone going into piggery, should ensure that they have a digital scale to weigh their pigs regularly, to know

how to calculate its FCR ( Feed Conversion Ratio) and know if the farm was making money or running at a loss.

I hope i have been able to add another 2kobo to my previous post.

Hmnnn , this is the first time I have read a topic and I could feel the writer speaking my mind D 9ja Factor. It's unreal because no textbook would explain this . I went into farming 16 yrs ago and bought 12 hectares of land and just about every 9Ja Factor was ever present. Ha my stories r too many. Please I would like to contact you as I would like to get back to farming again.moniyitan@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dejia(m): 3:20pm On Jan 13, 2016
Eefosa1:
DEJI PLEASE CAN YOU SUPPLY ME THE NIPPLES DRINKER QTY 6 ASAP

Pls send me an email: deji@fulfillsa.co.za

I have about 50 left, its N1,000 each, the new stock will be more expensive because of the Dollar/Naira Rate.

moniyitan:
Hmnnn , this is the first time I have read a topic and I could feel the writer speaking my mind D 9ja Factor. It's unreal because no textbook would explain this . I went into farming 16 yrs ago and bought 12 hectares of land and just about every 9Ja Factor was ever present. Ha my stories r too many. Please I would like to contact you as I would like to get back to farming again.moniyitan@yahoo.co.uk

Nigerian factor is what most consultant wont tell you, alot of business proposals are excellent on paper, without the Nigerian factor, well, in Nigeria , you learn every day, from experience, some of us have learnt how to " reduce"( not eliminate) the nigerian factor .
Pls share your own experience " Nigerian factor" experience, lets learn from it
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by REUBEN010(m): 11:17pm On Jan 13, 2016
Pls ooo. There are novices in the house. It will do me much good if you explain what a Nigerian Factor is. Thanks in earnest
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by jam04(m): 6:01am On Jan 14, 2016
Toyins:
Please I am looking for a farm land around Abeokuta- Ibadan road to start my pig farm this year. God bless all of our mentors in this forum. (An Acre).

We have a farmland for sale at alabata village( 30mins from Funnab). 200,000 per acre

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.