Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,628 members, 7,882,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 04:18 PM

Cryptolocker : A Malware/virus That Encrypts Your Data And Asks For Ransom - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Cryptolocker : A Malware/virus That Encrypts Your Data And Asks For Ransom (838 Views)

A Dangerous Malware Known As Ransom32 Discovered - Laptop Owners Beware / How To Remove The Win32 Virus That Turns Files To Shortcut On Ur Hdd,flash,mcard / Virus That Affects Laptop Speakers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cryptolocker : A Malware/virus That Encrypts Your Data And Asks For Ransom by OliliBob: 11:46pm On Jun 29, 2014
Cryptolocker was first observed in September 2013 by Dell Secureware. Cryptolocker is a ransonware trojan that affects computers running on Microsoft windows, encrypts files and asks for ransom to release them.

How Does Cryptolocker affect a user's PC
Cryptolocker threat starts as spammed message with a malicious attachment or serve as a secondary infection on computers which are already affected by virus thereby leaving room for further attacks.

When Cryptolocker affects a users PC, it contacts central server for information it needs to activate and once activated, it starts encrypting files, thereby making them inaccessible by the user and it then asks for a ransom for the files to be decrypted and also threatens to destroy your data if ransom is not met.

Is Cryptolocker the Only Ransomware?
No Cryptolocker is not the only ransomware, there are other ransomware the affect Android phones and other computers but Cryptolocker is the ransomware that affect computers running on Microsoft windows i.e windows vista,windows xp,windows 7 and windows 8 so if you are using an apple pc you are on a safe side.

Can I get My Files Back after they are affected by Cryptolocker?
The encryption power of cryptolocker is very strong , you could lose your files completely if you try to restore your data so it is very advisable you clear your computer of this infection before thinking of restoring your data moreover if you have backed up your data, you can get your data back.

What can I do to Prevent Cryptolocker from Affecting My Computer?
Scrutinize your email messages carefully. you need to look at any mail you receive properly especially those from unverified sources.

Always Back up your data. You need to learn to always back up your data, I will advice backing up in atleast 3 places, your computer, one external device and a cloud storage service online.

Install Security Solutions. Using reliable antimalware software is very advisable as will help you detect it before it starts.

Will my files be released if i pay the ransom?
There is no guarantee that your files will be released after paying the ransom which is normally around £300 because cybercriminals are not people you can trust but some people say paying the ransom is the only way out.

Culled from http://www.lordbnf.com/2014/06/all-you-need-to-know-about-cryptolocker.html
Re: Cryptolocker : A Malware/virus That Encrypts Your Data And Asks For Ransom by EmraanHasanAnik(m): 3:02pm On Feb 10, 2016
After infection removal you can try this,if you have system restore enabled, it's hit or miss though!!
http://sureshotsoftware.com/guides/micro-file-virus/

(1) (Reply)

Don't Fall For This: Classic Facebook "Color Changer" Scam Makes A Big Return / Guys, Please Is Bbmidid Still Working / How To Check To See If Your PC Can Run Windows 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.