Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,158 members, 7,887,373 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:50 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (684148 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 09, 2015
Good day VO, I have a daughter in the US who invited me for her graduation Whc comes up May,2015. Am scheduled for interview next week, what and what are the necessary requirements? Also, her dad isn't interested in travelling, I hope it doesn't matter. Thanks in anticipation
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:02pm On Apr 09, 2015
printemps:
Goodmorning VO,
My wife & I are hoping to start our lives together soon,after three years of separation.We both want to have kid(s) together but the stressful situation we both find ourselves has made this difficult,I for one have been so much affected for I'm having to deal with so much matters which has affected my person (emotionally),I,no longer having that cheerful dispostion like I used to,also my wife isn't getting any younger as she is almost entering menopause.We have endured so much.I often tell her how much of help you've been to others,all with the aim of getting her to come on here to interact with you like other US petitioners have done but she prefers writing the Consulate directly.I sometimes wish she would,just to see if that would help our visa case like it did help other US citizen petitioners on here,many who now have their spouses with them.Having said this,pls,should we hope to hear from you soon?Our kind regards.-Akinduro Sunday Rufus.

I can't comment on administrative processing -- except to say that I did just "strongly recommend" that this case be prioritized, since it's a reaffirmed case. Hopefully that will get the gears turning more quickly...

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:03pm On Apr 09, 2015
oloriakinyemi:

Ok thanks for d explanation.
Yes we were given just a case number dats my daughter and i,shuld I share the case number ma'am so you can understand me better?

No thanks, your description has made perfect sense. NVC is just waiting for you to submit the requested documents.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:03pm On Apr 09, 2015
sherryshitt:
Good day VO, I have a daughter in the US who invited me for her graduation Whc comes up May,2015. Am scheduled for interview next week, what and what are the necessary requirements? Also, her dad isn't interested in travelling, I hope it doesn't matter. Thanks in anticipation

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Angelica123: 2:48pm On Apr 09, 2015
Thank you so much ma.

I got a response to the mail and was advised on when to pick them up.

May the Lord continue to bless you and yours.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by printemps: 3:15pm On Apr 09, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I can't comment on administrative processing -- except to say that I did just "strongly recommend" that this case be prioritized, since it's a reaffirmed case. Hopefully that will get the gears turning more quickly...

We appreciate your help & we are thanking you for this.Kind regards.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloriakinyemi: 6:19pm On Apr 09, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No thanks, your description has made perfect sense. NVC is just waiting for you to submit the requested documents.
Ait thanks alot,will let you know after submitting the documents
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wuwu(m): 9:49pm On Apr 09, 2015
VisaOfficer:

If you marry, you will render the I-130 petition invalid. There is no immigration category for a married child of a Legal Permanent Resident.

Thank you ma,bt I'm tinkin of wen gettin to d usa can I still file for my wife and kids..becos right now my girlfriend is carryin my baby..I'm in confused
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by purplestoneeven: 11:30pm On Apr 09, 2015
Thanks alot for all the assistance in this forum.

I have waited for interview since approval in 2007, I have been to several other countries except US.

My case number is LGS2008532022, please when am I likely to be scheduled for interview?

Thanks and God bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DpdNKerosene(f): 12:17am On Apr 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

There are two factors in every visa decision: whether a person qualifies for a visa, and whether the person is eligible for one. Assuming that your fiance does have an ineligibility under INA 212(a)(6)(C)(i), that's a separate issue from whether he qualifies for the visa.

If the interviewing officer believes he qualifies for the visa (that is, the officer believes he has a qualifying relationship with you, the petitioner), but he has an ineligibility, at that point the officer will tell him that he needs a waiver of his ineligibility. Immigrant visas are different from non-immigrant visas in that in non-immigrant visa cases, it's up to the officer to recommend a waiver or not. In immigrant visa cases, there's no recommendation from the officer; the applicant just applies for a waiver, independently of the officer.

There's no way to apply for a waiver in advance -- after all, there might not be an official finding of misrepresentation in our records yet, so USCIS wouldn't know what to do with the waiver application.

I should also clarify that if an applicant qualifies but is not eligible, we don't "refuse" the case irrevocably and forever. We inform the applicant of the ineligibility and halt action on the case, but we keep the case here at post in case the applicant obtains a waiver. (After a few years we send the ineligible cases back to the U.S. for storage, but we can always recreate them if necessary.) It's when we don't believe the applicant has a qualifying relationship with the petitioner that we take the more definitive step of returning the petition to USCIS with a memo recommending that the petition be revoked.

I apologize for the wrong usage of the words. Let me rephrase the question smiley.

A K-1 visa is considered a non-immigrant visa until we are married and can adjust status, correct?

So with that, if he is found qualified, but ineligible because of the misrepresentation in his past, the consular will have to recommend a waiver before we can apply for one? What if they don't recommend one? Can we ask if he can apply for one?

My other question was probably confusing... sorry. Let me try again:

Since we are well aware that we will need a waiver if they recommend one, can I go ahead and have it ready to turn in once he is found ineligible in case they do recommend one?

Is that something he submits in Lagos or do I file the waiver and send it somewhere in the US?

I can't imagine how you get any work done answering so many questions, thank you sincerely for taking your time to do this for us. I know we all say it and I hope it doesn't lose it's meaning- but I am so very thankful for you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chuksmoney: 7:00am On Apr 10, 2015
I have an invitation to visit the USA for a wedding, I have not traveled before and I want to ask if a virgin passport can affect my getting a visa? I have strong ties here in Nigeria, I am married with 2 kids and I have a strong business trade.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:12am On Apr 10, 2015
wuwu:

Thank you ma,bt I'm tinkin of wen gettin to d usa can I still file for my wife and kids..becos right now my girlfriend is carryin my baby..I'm in confused

You cannot use the F2B visa to enter the U.S. if you're married. You have to enter the U.S. as an unmarried man. After that, you can marry your girlfriend and file for her as your wife.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:13am On Apr 10, 2015
purplestoneeven:
Thanks alot for all the assistance in this forum.

I have waited for interview since approval in 2007, I have been to several other countries except US.

My case number is LGS2008532022, please when am I likely to be scheduled for interview?

Thanks and God bless.

What is your visa category?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:13am On Apr 10, 2015
chuksmoney:
I have an invitation to visit the USA for a wedding, I have not traveled before and I want to ask if a virgin passport can affect my getting a visa? I have strong ties here in Nigeria, I am married with 2 kids and I have a strong business trade.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:34am On Apr 10, 2015
DpdNKerosene:

I apologize for the wrong usage of the words. Let me rephrase the question smiley.

A K-1 visa is considered a non-immigrant visa until we are married and can adjust status, correct?

Technically, yes. It's a strange hybrid...

So with that, if he is found qualified, but ineligible because of the misrepresentation in his past, the consular will have to recommend a waiver before we can apply for one? What if they don't recommend one? Can we ask if he can apply for one?

K applicants who need a waiver to travel actually need TWO waivers, one on the immigrant side and one on the non-immigrant side. (Again, strange hybrid.) From the applicant's point of view, though, there's no practical difference. First they file for the waiver on their own, as for any other immigrant visa. Then, if that waiver is approved, the officer submits a request for a waiver on the non-immigrant side. In practice we recommend all waivers for K visas once they've been granted on the immigrant side. I'm trying to imagine a case in which the officer would refuse to recommend the waiver, and in all the examples I can think of, I can't imagine that the waiver would be granted on the immigrant side in the first place. (For instance, not to depress anyone, but the most glaring example I can think of is a guy who'd been in the U.S. as a priest and 'assaulted' a woman and pushed her child down the stairs.... he did not get a waiver. If he had, THAT one I would have opposed.) Most cases of material misrepresentation do NOT rise to the level where we would want to stop someone who has a bona fide path to immigration from joining his or her family. I mean, we don't condone the use of false identities, obviously, but if a K applicant manages to get a waiver for having used one, we're not going to recommend against the same waiver on the non-immigrant side.

My other question was probably confusing... sorry. Let me try again:

Since we are well aware that we will need a waiver if they recommend one, can I go ahead and have it ready to turn in once he is found ineligible in case they do recommend one?

Is that something he submits in Lagos or do I file the waiver and send it somewhere in the US?

You could go ahead and prepare to submit the application. You find it and the instructions at http://www.uscis.gov/i-601 . It does need to be filed in the U.S.

I can't imagine how you get any work done answering so many questions, thank you sincerely for taking your time to do this for us. I know we all say it and I hope it doesn't lose it's meaning- but I am so very thankful for you!

Nairaland is one of my favorite things! My tour in Nigeria is actually getting close to its end sad and I'm trying not to think about it because I'm really, really, really going to miss Nairaland and all things Naija.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 8:59am On Apr 10, 2015
Dearest VO
By "your tour in Nigeria". I hope you don't mean your job at the embassy??
Plssss.....extend your tour! There are more places to be visited in naija..I assure you...

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:13am On Apr 10, 2015
tonyphil:
Dearest VO
By "your tour in Nigeria". I hope you don't mean your job at the embassy??
Plssss.....extend your tour! There are more places to be visited in naija..I assure you...

I'll be back... and I'll leave you in good hands... but after extending an extra year, I'll have to move on at the end of July. sad

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by superfavour(m): 9:34am On Apr 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'll be back... and I'll leave you in good hands... but after extending an extra year, I'll have to move on at the end of July. sad
sad
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:44am On Apr 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Technically, yes. It's a strange hybrid...

K applicants who need a waiver to travel actually need TWO waivers, one on the immigrant side and one on the non-immigrant side. (Again, strange hybrid.) From the applicant's point of view, though, there's no practical difference. First they file for the waiver on their own, as for any other immigrant visa. Then, if that waiver is approved, the officer submits a request for a waiver on the non-immigrant side. In practice we recommend all waivers for K visas once they've been granted on the immigrant side. I'm trying to imagine a case in which the officer would refuse to recommend the waiver, and in all the examples I can think of, I can't imagine that the waiver would be granted on the immigrant side in the first place. (For instance, not to depress anyone, but the most glaring example I can think of is a guy who'd been in the U.S. as a priest and 'assaulted' a woman and pushed her child down the stairs.... he did not get a waiver. If he had, THAT one I would have opposed.) Most cases of material misrepresentation do NOT rise to the level where we would want to stop someone who has a bona fide path to immigration from joining his or her family. I mean, we don't condone the use of false identities, obviously, but if a K applicant manages to get a waiver for having used one, we're not going to recommend against the same waiver on the non-immigrant side.

You could go ahead and prepare to submit the application. You find it and the instructions at http://www.uscis.gov/i-601 . It does need to be filed in the U.S.

Nairaland is one of my favorite things! My tour in Nigeria is actually getting close to its end sad and I'm trying not to think about it because I'm really, really, really going to miss Nairaland and all things Naija.

Now that is not good news

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:48am On Apr 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I can only remain cautiously optimistic on that because of the amazing job you have done here for years now

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pretty16(f): 10:15am On Apr 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

OMG ma'am, this is really a sad news cry because nairaland U.S immigration travel section will not be the same without you. Although with my priority date of July 2011 under F2B category, which I know I still have a long wait to interview, I was still hoping I would get an opportunity to meet U one day, like some of the lucky nairalanders who have seen u during their interview. I feel so Sad right now, but may God continue to bless u ma'am even as u continue to impact good in people's lives anywhere you go.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adeworth1: 11:33am On Apr 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

WOW pls ma don't go

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jojonile: 12:37pm On Apr 10, 2015
Good day VO, My husband petitioned for a CR-1 for me but my marriage is now over 2 two years will I qualify for an IR-1 visa? Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by veecee29: 2:48pm On Apr 10, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Hi VO,
U can't possibly leave us now that am about to start my own visa journey.Who will answer my questions calmly and patiently.Maybe I should start asking all my questions now. My passport is still in my maiden name.In filling out the form I-130,should I use my husbands name or my maiden since I've not legally adopted
my husband name and since my passport is still in my maiden name?Thanks in anticipation of ur reply.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloriakinyemi: 5:04pm On Apr 10, 2015
oloriakinyemi:

Ait thanks alot,will let you know after submitting the documents
Ha dats a very sad news indeed,not even now that am getting closer to my interview date.i wil I even let you know after submitting the. Documents? sad
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by veecee29: 7:36pm On Apr 10, 2015
Hi VO,
Please I also want to know if I can send out my petition using photocopy of our marriage certificate?I don't want to risk the original copy.Thanks in anticipation of ur positive response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by richposh: 1:43am On Apr 11, 2015
Dear V.O since the mother of my kids can't file an i-130 petition to enable us reunite. Can I apply for a fiancé visa? I have applied for a non immigrant visa severally and i have been consistently denied am even of the fear that I might have been banned for misrepresentation and may not have been duly informed. What can I do?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ezychris(m): 10:19am On Apr 11, 2015
Dear V.O, please I am really confused about this visa stuff. I have an aunt who is a citizen of the US. I told her about coming over to live with her and she agreed. I plan to work and after which I would further my studies and finally settle there. My questions are as follows:
1. What kind of visa do I apply for?
2. What are the documents I'll be needing from my aunt that will show she invited me and is capable of taking care of me over there?
3. What are my chances of getting a visa using a virgin passport?
Please, I'll be so grateful if my questions are answered.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by purplestoneeven: 4:02pm On Apr 11, 2015
VisaOfficer:

What is your visa category?
Unmarried child under 21 years.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aitiola: 5:41pm On Apr 11, 2015
Hello VO,Thank you for the great job here.I applied for a US diversity visa in 2010 in Finland and was rejected after a long wait.Obviously,the VO then sent my Nigerian certificate to Lagos for verification,Lagos never responded according to the information from the embassy here.Along the line,I sent an email requesting to change the address I gave in the US as where I will be staying.To cut the long story short ,I was denied without further interview on the ground of what was called discrepancies on your application.Now I am applying to Canada for my Masters and I was being asked if I have ever been denied A visa before in any embassy ...obviously yes (UK twice and US once) but it was just me not been able to satisfy the VO.I can not lie on the Canadian application form but just want to know if the previous denial could affect my study permit application in Canada.I am applying together with my wife and my little son.I am tensed and I hate to feel this way.Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pepson: 6:58pm On Apr 11, 2015
pepson:

HELLO!!! VO,JUST TO GREET!!!!

hello!! VO, well... i have been quite a longtime out of nairaland but i am back now to express my worries.My brother back in the United state wants me to come and do post graduate studies in the US.MY worry is the permanent back on my status i narrated to you,i am still wondering though i was a minor i was still ban to enter the US.I acknowledge that it is true i submitted fraudulent documents but i didn't make them.Those responsible to take care of my file fabricated them and gave them to me to summit at the time of my interview and they even trained me on how to answer question at the time of my interview. my brother back in the US wants me to apply for a student visa but i keep telling him about my permanent ban but he says i cannot be ban to enter the US because the incident happened when i was a minor,so im just confused on what to do now,i don't want my brother to lose his money in the process to obtain a student visa,so VO i wish to know if really i still have a chance to obtain a visa? my permanent ban as a minor is it an error or what? please i need clarification on this point because i still wonder on this point.thanks for reading looking forward for your response,stay blessed

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.