Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,195 members, 7,933,956 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 03:01 PM

Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? (744 Views)

Can Lagos Be Said To Be Working When Nigeria Is Not Working? / How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? / Nigeria's 'worst Place To Live'- Can Lagos compete with New York or London? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by akbest: 10:12am On Oct 06, 2008
i am curious, can lagos ever overcome the robbery problem?
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by Fhemmmy: 3:30pm On Oct 06, 2008
It cant, but can surely be reduced.
Employ the youths that are comiting the atrocity
Get them involved in politics and stop stealing the money that belongs to all.
Oppression of the poor gotta stop as well
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by olanajim(m): 3:52pm On Oct 06, 2008
Sure, it can, if we have the will to make it happen. Job alone can't curb robbery. Change of attitude can.
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by subice(m): 4:02pm On Oct 06, 2008
First step, we need state police in the upcoming constitution review.
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by abdurrazaq(m): 5:11pm On Oct 06, 2008
It's a National problem embarassed
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by Fhemmmy: 5:14pm On Oct 06, 2008
subice:

First step, we need state police in the upcoming constitution review.

That might surely help by not just the NPF, but break the policing into states and into Municipalities and give each a budget that will take care of it and make sure that the monitoring body of the police is not polluted too, however, with all these, there is need to engage the youth in affairs of the nation.
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by subice(m): 8:43pm On Oct 06, 2008
Fhemmmy:

That might surely help by not just the NPF, but break the policing into states and into Municipalities and give each a budget that will take care of it and make sure that the monitoring body of the police is not polluted too, however, with all these, there is need to engage the youth in affairs of the nation.

Well, I think each state should be in full charge of the police force within it's boundaries. Once the state police is in operation, a state like Lagos that is in desperate need of community policing would be able to invest funds and pursue sound security policies. I believe that Gov. Fashola has good plans for the state's security but is reluctant to invest too heavily given the way the central force operates.
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by Fhemmmy: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2008
subice:

Well, I think each state should be in full charge of the police force within it's boundaries. Once the state police is in operation, a state like Lagos that is in desperate need of community policing would be able to invest funds and pursue sound security policies. I believe that Gov. Fashola has good plans for the state's security but is reluctant to invest too heavily given the way the central force operates.

I so much agree with you, but he is left with no choice than to invest into it.
Infact, the central policing is a total nonesense, it is not working and most of the developed nations dont operate on central policing.
There is a need for LSPD (Lagos State Police Department) and let every other state do their, and if is it a National issue, then, the NPF or we cld rename FBIN (Federal Beaureu Investigation Nigeria) ,,,lol
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by subice(m): 9:02pm On Oct 06, 2008
For real. Sometimes I wonder what the policy makers in the government get paid for. Some of the solutions are staring them in the face. They all get so out of touch once in government, focusing on so-called 'bigger issues'. I think once the state police is established, EFCC should be given a larger scope on the national issues you mentioned, maybe renamed Economic and Federal Crimes Commission. They should handle all economic, financial and interstate crimes. I think they have a better capacity and platform to build on to handle these things and they have better qualified personnel to use as a standard to build a competent agency. If there is state police, the EFCC would automatically become totally independent, 100% responsible for it's own staffing and decisions and we won't see the whole nonsense that happened with Ribadu and NIPSS. The SSS should then focus on any issues related to national security.
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by olanajim(m): 9:48am On Oct 07, 2008
So what is the solution? State police or Effective police?
Re: Can Lagos Be Saved In The Future? by subice(m): 10:12am On Oct 07, 2008
olanajim:

So what is the solution? State police or Effective police?
State police.

(1) (Reply)

Another Foreign Expatriate Kidnapped. What Is Going On In Nigeria? / Nigerian Politicans Foolin Themselves In The Name Of Religion / USA Will Not Co-operate With Nigeria On N21b Nlng Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.