Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,257 members, 7,880,976 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:19 AM

Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State (1792 Views)

Northerners In NEPC Gang Up Against Segun Awolowo / FACT: Buhari Gave Out 92 Oil Blocks; 87 To Northerners! / What Are The Chances For Northerners In 2015 Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by teeebugs: 7:27am On Jul 04, 2014
Okorocha had reportedly directed northern indigenes in the state to submit themselves for identification by the state government as a way of curtailing the influx of Boko Haram insurgents to the state. But the senators said the action is unconstitutional and contravenes the rights of Nigerians, warning the state government to reverse the policy.

The development was sequel to a motion sponsored by deputy Senate leader, Abdul Ningi, entitled “The issuance of identification card to Northerners residing in Imo State – Urgent call for policy reversal.” Senator Ningi argued that the policy contravenes the provisions of Section 41 (1) of the Nigerian Constitution which says, “A citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereto or exit therefrom”.

The Senate consequently called on President Goodluck Jonathan to direct security agencies not to partner the state government in the implementation of the policy, and urged the Imo State government to rescind the policy immediately.

www.monitor9ja.com

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Bigflamie(m): 7:45am On Jul 04, 2014
Foolish people that doesn't know what to do with their time over there.
Rochas please go on with the Id. Card issuance, cos we value our people's life more than every other thing unlike them buffoons up north.

5 Likes

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by DONOCSO(m): 7:48am On Jul 04, 2014
A silly political development. Do the people of Imo have IDs?

2 Likes

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 04, 2014
and for 1s I agree with rochas

3 Likes

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by PointB: 7:52am On Jul 04, 2014
I also have problem with the ID cards, especially one which purpose is to identify none indigene. The issue of identifying Nigerians should be dealt with at national level. There would be certainly be a lot of confusion if every Nigerian is expected to have an identity card for every state he/she spends considerable time in.

FasholaRochas should jettison the idea.

1 Like

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Lordabas: 7:57am On Jul 04, 2014
So Northerners now need an " id card" to run businesses or trade in imo state and then they say its the north that wants to divide Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Goldmind1(m): 8:00am On Jul 04, 2014
Ride on Rochas!
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Afam4eva(m): 8:31am On Jul 04, 2014
The idiocy in government in Nigeria keeps taking a whole new dimension as time goes by. How on earth can a state government issue identity cards to non-indegenes? It reeks of quantum idiocy. Doesn't it make more sense to issue identity cards to residents or at worse indegenes rather than non-indegenes. This is called profiling and something should be done about it. The more i hear people in government talk and through their actions and inactions, i'm convinced that we're ruled by para animals.

3 Likes

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by sCun: 8:38am On Jul 04, 2014
Afam4eva: The idiocy in government in Nigeria keeps taking a whole new dimension as time goes by. How on earth can a state government issue identity cards to non-indegenes? It reeks of quantum idiocy. Doesn't it make more sense to issue identity cards to residents or at worse indegenes rather than non-indegenes. This is called profiling and something should be done about it. The more i hear people in government talk and through their actions and inactions, i'm convinced that we're rules by para animals.
All this rant for a mere rumour that has been repeatedly denied by the state govt?
Who reeks of quantum idiocy now?

3 Likes

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by MadCow1: 8:38am On Jul 04, 2014
Afam4eva: The idiocy in government in Nigeria keeps taking a whole new dimension as time goes by. How on earth can a state government issue identity cards to non-indegenes? It reeks of quantum idiocy. Doesn't it make more sense to issue identity cards to residents or at worse indegenes rather than non-indegenes. This is called profiling and something should be done about it. The more i hear people in government talk and through their actions and inactions, i'm convinced that we're rules by para animals.

Why are you being nice about it?

Rochas is a person for even thinking of this as a good idea. If it isnt his doing, then he is surrounded by morons.

You got the right word for it which is; PROFILING.

The truth is we are ruled by men of limited intelligence. Every state I enter shows that our entire government is riddled with a wide assortment of reetards. Their policies are all half-assed (example, the foool that thought up the new Licencing process, that person should never be a leader of cows, talkless of humans), the implementation is even worse. The people who are enlightened, exposed and educated cant even stand to be involved in politics because of the filth that lies therein.

How on earth does a person think its alright to isolate one tribe for identification and ignore others? Dont they even realise that its unconstitutional? angry

Welcome to Imo State and behold the fuckery that Berem and Abagworo are proud to show off to the world as their leader.
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:44am On Jul 04, 2014
Our politicians are dumb, okorocha is dumber! Simple logic will tell him that by the time the exercise started, boko haram will send delegates to also put in for the registration thereby giving them a free access and movement. The best way to protect ur city is to treat every northerner as a potential boko haram and threat....regardless!!!!

1 Like

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Afam4eva(m): 8:48am On Jul 04, 2014
sCun:
All this rant for a mere rumour that has been repeatedly denied by the state govt?
Who reeks of quantum idiocy now?
You must be one of the roaches who gallivant supporting idiocy in government because if you weren't you would have left a reference to where the Imo state government denied the report. Instead, you chose to embrace the idiocy that's flying around with shameless abandon. next time you wanna engage, do so wisely or hold your breadth.
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Enahi(f): 9:29am On Jul 04, 2014
PointB: I also have problem with the ID cards, especially one which purpose is to identify none indigene. The issue of identifying Nigerians should be dealt with at national level. There would be certainly be a lot of confusion if every Nigerian is expected to have an identity card for every state he/she spends considerable time in.

FasholaRochas should jettison the idea.
I don't understand O,Fashola deported Nigerians from a State in Nigeria back to another State in Nigeria, no one said or sued the man. Now Rochas wants to create I.D cards for Nigerians inside Nigeria. If I may ask,what's the point of having the international passport and National identity card if people are going to be treated this way in their country? Its sad that Nigeria is a lawless country where anything goes.
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by MadCow1: 9:38am On Jul 04, 2014
Enahi: I don't understand O,Fashola deported Nigerians from a State in Nigeria back to another State in Nigeria, no one said or sued the man. Now Rochas wants to create I.D cards for Nigerians inside Nigeria. If I may ask,what's the point of having the international passport and National identity card if people are going to be treated this way in their country? Its sad that Nigeria is a lawless country where anything goes.

Just because Fashola did something obviously illegal and wrong and nobody decided to sue him and enforce their constitutional rights dont make what Rochas is doing any more illegal than it is.

As it stands now, here are a list of multiple Niational Identity Cards Nigerians have;

1. International Passport
2. National I.D Cards
3. Drivers Licences.
4. Voters I.D Cards
5. Local Government Identification Card.
6. National Health Insurance Card.
7. Tax Clearance Identification Card.

Now we want to add:

8. Ndi Hausa I.D Card (in Imo State and Anambra State).

#SMH..
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 04, 2014
Well, when bizarre situations come up, bizarre solutions follow suit.
I don't know whether its the best solution but I know sth drastic should be done about Hausa Fulani in the east.

Apparently, Hausas are not like every citizen, anybody that takes to bloodshed in solving national issues (like opposing a president) needs unconventional measures.
Sb talked about constitution but we know that giving them id card is more constitutional than killing them, as they would have done.
Lol @ ndi awusa id card
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by sCun: 9:55am On Jul 04, 2014
Afam4eva:
You must be one of the roaches who gallivant supporting idiocy in government because if you weren't you would have left a reference to where the Imo state government denied the report. Instead, you chose to embrace the idiocy that's flying around with shameless abandon. next time you wanna engage, do so wisely or hold your breadth.
If you had any sense in you, you would have checked the authenticity of the story before ranting .
Here is one link
www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/28060-okorocha-denies-registration-of-northerners-in-imo
Before I forget, it is spelt ''breath''.

1 Like

Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by lakpalakpa: 10:00am On Jul 04, 2014
Okorocha denies registration of northerners in Imo

Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha has denied reports of plans to register northerners doing business in the state.

Okorocha reacted yesterday through his Senior Special Assistant SSA Media, Sam Onwuemeodo, over a statement in Abuja by the Deputy Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Sulaieman Kawu Sumaila, alleging that the state government had begun registration of northerners with the aim of issuing them identity cards following a recent failed bomb attempt at the Winners’ Church in Owerri.
He said: “The Imo State government has not begun any registration of northerners in the state and does not have plans to do so”.
Okorocha insisted that registration of human beings is not done in secret, saying those behind the claim could not mention the locations or offices where such registration is taking place.

He described the claim as totally false, adding that for the legislator in Abuja to issue a press release on that issue without verification gives an indication of where those behind the falsehood are coming from.The governor said northerners in Imo State have enjoyed long hospitality more than any other state in the South-east and blamed desperation for power as being behind the attempt to damage the cordial relationship between Imo people and the Hausa community in the state.
Okorocha said it was northerners in the state under their leader, Alhaji Baba Saidu Suleiman, that decided to have what they called a data bank to enable them check infiltration.

The Sarikin Hausawa and other leaders like the Chief Imam of the state, and Waziri Hausawa, Alhaji Dauda Onyeagocha and their council members had also had a press conference to tell the world that what they were doing had no link with the state government.

The Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the Imo State Governor on Northern Affairs, Hon. Faisal Lawal had told Daily Trust in Owerri that Northern traders would be issued with an Identity Card for proper identification.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/28060-okorocha-denies-registration-of-northerners-in-imo
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 04, 2014
Good idea, ride on sir cool
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by Enahi(f): 10:20am On Jul 04, 2014
Mad Cow:

Just because Fashola did something obviously illegal and wrong and nobody decided to sue him and enforce their constitutional rights dont make what Rochas is doing any more illegal than it is.

As it stands now, here are a list of multiple Niational Identity Cards Nigerians have;

1. International Passport
2. National I.D Cards
3. Drivers Licences.
4. Voters I.D Cards
5. Local Government Identification Card.
6. National Health Insurance Card.
7. Tax Clearance Identification Card.

Now we want to add:

8. Ndi Hausa I.D Card (in Imo State and Anambra State).

#SMH..
Am not in support of what they are doing o,its unfair.
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by MadCow1: 10:25am On Jul 04, 2014
Enahi: Am not in support of what they are doing o,its unfair.

I realised that.. cool
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by meforyou1(m): 11:00am On Jul 04, 2014
where was senator ningi when fashola expelled igbos from lagos?
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by ifyalways(f): 11:02am On Jul 04, 2014
Why Northerners alone ?
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by MisterLongman(m): 12:13pm On Jul 04, 2014
ifyalways: Why Northerners alone ?
Tribal discrimination of course......... He believes that since boko haram are northerners, then all northerners are boko haram
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by sCun: 12:26pm On Jul 04, 2014
Fact is fact.
The boko haram members are northerners, if the security officials decides to keep an extra eye on them, it will be very delusional for anyone to ask why.
Re: Imo State To Issue Out ID Card To Northerners In The State by akanke79: 5:21pm On Apr 03, 2023
Igbos should be treated as iPOB members too across Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Executes 4 Drug Traffickers By Beheading / Re: Nba’s Position On The Withdrawal Of Tambuwal’s Security: I Beg To Disagree / A Man Gets A Knock-out Kick For Calling Someone A Ka**ir At An ATM (south Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.