Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,089 members, 7,939,408 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 03:12 AM

Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer (5978 Views)

15 Reasons Android Phones Are Better Than The Iphone / Exclusive S60v5 5800 N97 Apps / Download All Games For S60v5 5800 N97 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ChiefD(m): 8:40am On Apr 07, 2009
@ thegame

I respect you views and I'm sure they are genuine.

The Nokia E71 is all metal, but the screen is not scratch-proof and that part of that phone is very very prone to scratches ( I have sold 2 units on Nairaland.com already). I used the E90 for a few months, apart from the disappointing emptiness in the phone, you simply watch the pain peel off while you treat the thing like an egg - Just watch most E90s you see around.

The iPhone comes with a scratch-resistant screen, and of course the back might scratch and fade color, BUT you cant compare the depreciation in value (cosmetically) to that of these Nokia "High end" phones. Maybe its a general thing with phones these days, but in my own view, they make money by playing the users.

For me; ease of use and clarity; iPhone or HTC rocks
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by texazzpete(m): 10:36am On Apr 07, 2009
thegame:

chief d, which iphone are u talking about a room mate of mine uses an iphone and believe me, the front and back is scratched as hell. the white back cover is now faded black due to scratches and the front is kinda blurred without the screen on.
generally, i find the phone boring. i would never pick it over my e71 except i aint paying. though it is the first iphone o. even the new one is still the same just an mms and new cover desgn andof course, larger memory. people that wants value for money cant use iphone especially nigerians. no lie abt that

The back of the iPhone 2G can scratch, especially if you're careless with it. But that's the price you have to pay for carelessness.
I call BS on your claim that the screen scratches, however. You have to deliberately and desperately WANT to scratch it before you can get a nick on the screen.

99% of those that hate on the iPhone have never attempted to use the phone to the limit. When you're watching crystal clear video, when you use the excellent browser at length, when you install any of the high quality apps to be found in the Appstore, you'll realize the clear difference.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by thegame(m): 12:18pm On Apr 07, 2009
Can u install opera mini on iphone Or download themes. Its not a smartphone.is it
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ChiefD(m): 12:40pm On Apr 07, 2009
@ thegame

Apple as a company is not allowing Opera install on their phones, BUT there is a version of Opera that works on the iPhone. The inbuilt browser on the iPhone is way better and easier than the Opera mini.

Remember that Opera mini became popular simply for one reason; The inbuilt browser on Nokia "High End" phones are crap, they are simply a disaster, and so by default, immediately you buy a Nokia "High end" phone, you look for a third-party browser. E90's browser has a mind of its own, so does that on the E71, I can imagine what to expect from the 5800.

For me, usability is key; the last of the very well considered and user-oriented phones by Nokia ended with Nokia 9500 (which I would dash out my Nokia E90 to buy).

Sincerely speaking, Its not possible for me to compare the iPhone with the Nokia 5800, I would rather put the 5800 against the China iPhone and compare rather than the Original Mac. OS Apple iPhone

Please note that this has nothing to do with what you are saying or anything like that; If you look back and sit on this, you will find out that WE are the ones being played; Check out anyone's 6 months old N95 8GB (something close to 80k) and see what remains of it, same for the E90 (something about 100k) - You even have to start using women's nail hardener to coat it to avoid the cheap paint peeling, which eventually will (painfully).

In my view, they don't make good phones anymore, its just all about business; tailored to make you "hate" that expensive phone after 6 months. iPhone makes it very differently - In my own view
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by thegame(m): 2:27pm On Apr 07, 2009
Chied D, you made perfect sense. And in my own view, you just didnt take sides too much. Frankly i am tired of symbian. I ve used a couple and i dnt even have to use manuals again.lol.cos i have them all in my head.
What is the better rival to these nokia phones.i cant gget an htc thats lik 100grans and if u put this in mmind,nokia r onl using what the pple want to make money.
Imagine this, blackberry storm doesnt have wifi. Bb curve has no 3g. So is that what im gonna buy and its even more expensive o tho i knw less abt the scratchin and so. Samsung omnia hd and innov8 that im even considering are both symbian. So what r we talkn here??
These guys now add gpd that ainr even had a dream of working on their fones.since they claim to make some of these products for africa, dont they know what we have and fones we need?
I put design also into condideration, imagine nokia e71, e75, 5730, n97 in apple mac os. Will u want more? Capital NO bro.
Bottomline, os is whats fcukin nokia high ends up.they still got best designs to me.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ChiefD(m): 10:14pm On Apr 08, 2009
Thanks thegame for your comments. My own sincere views;

Get an average priced phone (25k - 35k) that;

1. You can connect to your laptop/pc via usb or bluetooth to browse the internet.
2. Of course with bluetooth, GPRS, camera and good battery life (Nokia has an edge here, so also does Samsung and SE)

Once you have these factors in mind, you will not fall into that trap of having to regret, compare or waste money.

NO PHONE ON EARTH WILL/CAN REPLACE A COMPUTER OR A PDA.

So, I will buy a phone for a phone/modem, and have my piece of mind; if it peels tomorrow, well it still serves as my modem and still makes/receives calls. That way, you have a better focus on things.

We will all eventually go back to buying those "old" PDAs, the way I see it; the Hype of "High end", "PDA Phones" is fading out; if you look very well, you will find out that you still cant leave out your laptop/pc and your phone only makes sense to you if you can browse on your laptop/pc through it - apart from making/receiving calls

Cheers
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ogagusps3: 1:46pm On Apr 12, 2009
The Iphone I got last week has made me hate apple more than anything. My reason is that the iphone lacks so many feature.Eg NO radio NO bluetooth for file transfer NO removable battery NO flash for browsing NO video recording NOt expandable
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by thegame(m): 3:45pm On Apr 12, 2009
This is what i ve been trying to make some pple reason abt. But it seems i was selfish. Anyway, sori bro. Loooks like if you get an iphone now,u must rily want an iphone not just a high end phone. so just live with it and show off ur iphone while u still can. smiley) .Bytheway, how much did u get it
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by texazzpete(m): 6:05pm On Apr 13, 2009
ogagusps3:

The Iphone I got last week has made me hate apple more than anything. My reason is that the iphone lacks so many feature.Eg NO radio NO bluetooth for file transfer NO removable battery NO flash for browsing NO video recording NOt expandable

There's no excuse for buyers remorse when it comes to features. Are you that rich that you buy stuff without reading up on it?

Everyone knows that the iPhone lacks bluetooth file transfer, has no removable battery and no memory card slot. Why gripe about it now?

A smartphone is not defined by the presence of bluetooth, video recording, fm radio or even removable batteries. if that were the case, then every Series 40 candybar phone Nokia made would qualify as a smartphone.

I suggest you focus not on what the Phone can't do out of the box, but what it can do. If this doesn't satisfy you, contact me and i can buy it from you if it's a 3G and in mint condition.

thegame:

This is what i ve been trying to make some pple reason abt. But it seems i was selfish. Anyway, sori bro. Loooks like if you get an iphone now,u must rily want an iphone not just a high end phone. so just live with it and show off ur iphone while u still can. smiley) .Bytheway, how much did u get it

The people you were trying to 'reason with' all have iPhones and are loving it! You, however, do not.
Out of curiosity, can you mention any app on your beloved Symbian OS that does not have it's equal on the iPhone?
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by thegame(m): 7:48pm On Apr 13, 2009
Funny enuf texazz, i dont install apps on my phones just like dat.do i waste money by buying these expensib fones n nt installing?i hope not o. cheesy
First, i hate to search for dem apps, sec, im a bit scared of virus and third, the apps dnt impress me when i c dem work. But i definitely love themes, i change it every month or two n in my mind, i ve changed d looks of my fone, makiN it new.lol cheesy
As for games, if it aint racin, i aint diggin. So whatcha thnk apple bro?
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by thegame(m): 7:48pm On Apr 13, 2009
Funny enuf texazz, i dont install apps on my phones just like dat.do i waste money by buying these expensib fones n nt installing?i hope not o. cheesy
First, i hate to search for dem apps, sec, im a bit scared of virus and third, the apps dnt impress me when i c dem work. But i definitely love themes, i change it every month or two n in my mind, i ve changed d looks of my fone, makiN it new.lol cheesy
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by thegame(m): 7:49pm On Apr 13, 2009
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by Infoseye(m): 8:24pm On Apr 13, 2009
I ve read and learnt alot about both phones in this thread, honestly both phones are good.
Lets say if u just need a phone to catch ur fun and use as a mobile go for Nokia but if u need something more than just a mobile with added tech go for Iphone.Even If I can afford to buy both phones at the same time, I still go for a nokia why bcuz its simple to use in terms of installing and downloading applications,games,themes ,mp3's, videos etc File transfer bluetooth dont need itunes before u can download songs to ur mobile and even got a radio unlike Iphone. Honestly what pissed me off about Iphone was no bluetooth WTF! Has pretty as the phone, apple should look into that but every other thing iphone is hot in terms of tech. Am a Sony Ericsson user, but am getting a nokia real soon so thats my view on both phones.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by Infoseye(m): 8:54pm On Apr 13, 2009
One thing I dont like nokia for its not rugged to last long most times the numbers on keypad fades off easily eg N95 if the screen drops on the floor or gets stepped on by mistake its done for. I ve been using Lg ku990 viewty for a year now, i ve kicked and dropped on solid concrete I just pick it up turn it on and dust the phone.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by Infoseye(m): 8:55pm On Apr 13, 2009
One thing I dont like nokia for its not rugged to last long most times the numbers on keypad fades off easily eg N95 if the screen drops on the floor or gets stepped on by mistake its done for. I ve been using Lg ku990 viewty for a year now, i ve kicked and dropped on solid concrete I just pick it up turn it on and dust the phone.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by zaibatsu(m): 10:47pm On Apr 13, 2009
ogagusps3:

The Iphone I got last week has made me hate apple more than anything. My reason is that the iphone lacks so many feature.Eg                                         NO radio                                                                                   NO bluetooth for file transfer                                             NO removable battery                                                          NO flash for browsing                                                          NO video recording                                                              NOt expandable

Dude, if you're waiting for the perfect all singing all dancing convergence device, sorry you're going to have to wait MUCH (much, much) longer.  I've found that dedicated devices are much better at "doing what they say they'll do". So, get dedicated devices for all your above-listed gripes; it will help.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by cabali(m): 8:00am On Apr 15, 2009
and please, for a fact, 5800 is a sorry copy of the iPhone. They got it wrong there.

It is so shameful that nokia made it so obvious they were getting at the iPhone and then did a mess of it while they were at it.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 11:46am On Apr 15, 2009
im not entirely sure Nokia deliberately set out to ape the iphone, else they'd have done a better job. not that the 5800 is a terrible phone, it just suffers the endless comparison to the iphone and thus looks humbler.

must every touchscreen phone BE an iphone imitator? should the entire industry give up on touch UI since Apple supposedly has a monopoly on that corner? bear in mind that the 5800 STILL uses resistive touch technology and not capacitative. therefore its not really gunning after the iphone

frankly i hate the 5800, but its nothing to do with any iphone imitation.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by lynxnoon(m): 2:05pm On Apr 15, 2009
@infoyese
I totally disagree wit u about nokia not bin rugged
If deres anytin nokia is known 4 is its durability come rain or shine
All d nokia models hv handled hv gone tru "THIN & THIN"
Dis also reminds me of my uncles 3310 dat a moving car stepped on; d fone fell apart & was stil in gud condition afta putting bk again
I feel handling of wateva fone model depends mostly on d user
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by aieromon(m): 4:54pm On Apr 15, 2009
If i have to buy a phone,its got to be made by Nokia.
Say what you say but my 5800 rocks!!!why buy an iphone when i got an itouch?
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 7:30pm On Apr 15, 2009
aieromon:

If i have to buy a phone,its got to be made by Nokia.

cough*fanboy*cough

aieromon:

Say what you say but my 5800 rocks!!!

sadly, mine doesnt. more like a "piece of rock" for all its worth.

aieromon:

why buy an iphone when i got an itouch?

umm, so you can call? check mails, browse, IM, Facebook all day WITHOUT looking for free wifi?

i have an Ipod touch (second gen) and besides gaming and occasionally ipodding i cant figure why i need it.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by lungwun(m): 10:23pm On Apr 15, 2009
and just how, does the 5800 kill the iphone? surprised how many people start up rubbish threads just
to make themselves feel better after making a bad purchase.
I own both phones. and after a week the 5800 feels like just another s60 phone.
is it the sluggish accelerometer? or the resistive screen or the unnecessarily bulky case?
please, its an okay phone, leave it at that.
people say, no fm, no bluetooth, no removable battery, no flash, no ,
its like saying you hate supercars because they dont have bucket seats, airconditioning, stereos and airbags.
rubbish!
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by cabali(m): 3:17am On Apr 16, 2009
Ex Inferis:

im not entirely sure Nokia deliberately set out to ape the iphone, else they'd have done a better job. not that the 5800 is a terrible phone, it just suffers the endless comparison to the iphone and thus looks humbler.

must every touchscreen phone BE an iphone imitator? should the entire industry give up on touch UI since Apple supposedly has a monopoly on that corner? bear in mind that the 5800 STILL uses resistive touch technology and not capacitative. therefore its not really gunning after the iphone

frankly i hate the 5800, but its nothing to do with any iphone imitation.

then can someone tell me how come they tried so hard to put on features originated by apple. Like the spin from vertical to horizontal when u turn the phone 90 degrees (this the 5800 fails as the screen goes blank for 2-3 seconds before the switch is done). Then the touch which sometimes the phone cannot tell the difference between selecting a link and zooming a web page.
Then the flip through pictures which is rusty.

If they did not get all these from the iPhone, then i'd need someone tell me they invented it.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by logica(m): 2:59pm On Apr 16, 2009
I think somebody should start a thread and organize all the "iPhone Killers" into one group so we can track them. One that I found quite interesting is the OpenMoko. It was launched way before the G1/Android yet there has never been any mention of it on the this sub-forum. I think it was killed by the fact that it was released pretty close to the iPhone release (July 2007).

http://www.openmoko.com/

It also runs on Linux.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by flyuche(m): 6:16pm On Apr 16, 2009
Touchscreen phones have always been there.  The Iphone is the only such phone that  gained  unprecedented popularity thus resurrecting the appeal of touchscreens. Nokia  did not set out to produce an "Iphone  killer". Touch is in, touch is the trend; it just wanted touchscreen models in its portfolio. 5800 was infact  not intended to be a  high-end model. It's a cheap mid-tier phone for those who wants to  touch and feel touched. And by the end of the third quarter of this year it would have sold more units than Apple's Iphone since launch.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 4:54pm On Apr 17, 2009
@fluche

really? in these trying times you expect to Nokia sell as much phones as apple in one quarter? Nokia's profits have dropped over 90%, meaning sales are slowing down, meanwhile Apple sold 4.5 million phones in just one quarter in 2008. the iphone is still the darling of the industry. AT&T wants exclusivity extension, Verizon wants in on the act (despite having turn down the original iphone thus losing out to AT&T, and being CDMA), TMobile (the only other GSM carrier in the US) is crossing its fingers waiting for 2010 when the AT&T/Apple wedlock officially ends, Sprint is counting on the Palm Pre and Apple is definitely releasing a new iphone come summer.

meanwhile Nokia doesnt have anything new in its stable to tilt the balance. if its the N97, its going to look like old hat in the company of the Pre, new iphone (or current iphones running 3.0), BB Storm 2, G2, Omnia HD etc. while almost all these already have a sort of App Store (or are talking up one) Symbian App Store variant is still nowhere to be seen.

and in case you dont know, a sort of app Portal will be the "in thing" to drive up appeal and sales.

i think 5800 sales will taper off, its happening already. the phone is utterly underwhelming, and OVI isnt really winning converts in droves.

face it, dude, symbian is dying a natural death unless nokia changes tack. truth is, the bulk of Nokia profits stem from the low end feature phone market.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by flyuche(m): 7:20am On Apr 18, 2009
well, the Iphone is a phenomenal. Nokia profit deeped last year, but it still maintained it's dominant market share. Market analysts say about 2.8million of 5800 was sold last quarter. i believe the figure will keep rising. Nokia's sales model will ensure just that. The phone is not tied to any carrier, its affordable(its been dubbed the poor man Iphone, lol), nokia has a large customer base in emerging markets(India, China, Brasil, Nigeria, Philipines etc).  etc etc
N97 will be a success when launched, even in North America. Sales of phones with QWERTY keyboard is very strong in the US and LG holds the market there where it success as a phone vendor hinges on the continued sales of this type of models.(American just discovered that phones can send text and email, lol). So that's nokia's main competition. Believe me, no LG model is better than the soon to be released N97.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by cabali(m): 9:44am On Apr 18, 2009
N97??

Are u ready to bet your balls on that?
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 12:18am On Apr 19, 2009
@flyuche

im not disputing nokia's market share, indeed apple has lost a little  ( though AAPL is still waxing strong) but if you think the N97 is going to win on the strength of qwerty alone, one may well wonder what Nokia is doing releasing things like the E75. and that also beggars the question why 5800 sales will rise in the face of your assertion that Qwerty phones are the "in thing". in case you dont know (and the evidence clearly shows you dont), the 5800 has a terrible input mechanism, a poor virtual keyboard and of course the stylus/plectrum combo dont help matters.  if you're going to build a phone without hardware keys, make sure the virtual keyboard is up to much. right now, no virtual keyboard can touch the iphone's (why do you think google went back to the drawing board to create cupcake android?).

so, the N97 already has competition from within Nokia stables. the 5800 as i already mentioned, is underwhelming and bound to slow in sales etc. meanwhile, the competition is stacking up (Pre, iphone 3, Omnia, HTC Magic, G2, Touch Diamond2, Blackberry Curve 8900 and storm 2 etc, and dont forget winmo 6.5 is coming while winmo 7 is being cooked).

Nokia will have to go beyond qwerty sliding, OVI, or half-baked touchscreen devices (5800) to survive.

Maybe Nokia ought to leverage one of its best devices: the E90. it already has a nifty hardware qwerty and the requisite screen real estate for multitouch. all it needs is a slim form factor, maemo, AMOLED, and capacitative screen interface. then it'll fit in perfectly as something inbetween a phone and a netbook.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by Alireta: 2:19pm On Apr 19, 2009
No sir, the 5800 doesn't come close to "killing" the iPhone. The 5800 touchscreen works well generally and the interface is some improvement on s60 3rd edition. But the interface has some illogicalities. One is that at times you have to tap once to open a menu item, and at other times its a double-tap.

Why didn't nokia just copy UIQ's implementation of touch - tap to open a menu item; tap and hold to pop up an options menu? Very logical. Much more user-friendly.

The 5800 is a good device. But an iPhone killer? Next?!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whatsapp Status Questions. How Did She View Only The Last One?? / Gta San Andreas Mission #53 Pier 69 Glitch Solved / Top Android Video Editing Apps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.