Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,904 members, 7,883,140 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 02:25 AM

Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors (23968 Views)

FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors / Vice-chancellors Of Nigeria Universities (photos) / Federal Universities Should Re-open - Pro-chancellors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Olaskybab: 10:10pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: Please name one country with a population over 100 million that gives free university education. Only one example please.NOTHING in this life is free.The handwriting has been on the wall a long time.Nigerians have an attitude of ENTITLEMENT and that explains partly why you see 27 year olds living at home with their parents collecting pocket money. We need less university education and more vocational TRAINING.
Are those people in universities better than those who learn trades? Does government contribute anything to the training of tailors,mechanics,Bricklayers,Vulcanizers etc How are those cultists in universities claiming to be studying economics and politics etc more deserving of government funding than those training as hairdressers and butchers or poultry farmers??
I believe that education should be free up to the age of 18 i.e secondary school or Vocational training.
University education of good quality cannot be free.We should not compromise quality because we want everyone to have it
This is how universities should work:
The universities should operate like a petrol station. No pay no admission
They should be stand-alone entities independent of government.
They should determine the actual cost of educating each student .Without this information we are deceiving ourselves.
Sometime people just refuse to look into the mirror because they are afraid of what they might see.
Having determined the cost we can now have a discussion about how to pay for it. That way the issue of underfunding universities will not come about .
Government will then declare how many students they can afford to pay for and how they are going to allocate those resources. Otherwise government forces universities to over-admit and we end up with students sitting on the floor and aisles.
u b dz 1 nw??

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by hybeenoni: 10:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
Smtyms I jst begin 2 wonder @ d way sm Nigerians reason, imagine sm1 supportn increament of univ fees? Wat do these univ do wt d huge money they mk, rangin frm fees, devt fees, caution fees, e.t.c
A student of UI pays abt 160k for Msc programme, yet d same UI receives fundin frm d govt, nw wat r they using these money 4? Nd u stil wnt them to even charge more? Most projects u find in fed univ r constructd bt TETF yet they collect devt fees yearly. Cnt common sense tel u dt these guys r looting d money? Nd u stil wnt them to charge more
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by nijanigga: 10:14pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: What is LMAO? is that short hand for poverty of ideas?
What is the population of Finland?? under 6 million= less than Lagos State
What is the GDP per capita $36000 and Nigeria $1800 = 20 times that of Nigeria
Nigeria has a GDP per capita of $1800 = 270000 Naira . This is NOT all government money but the TOTAL ECONOMIC OUTPUT of the nation
Bear in Mind that the Federal Government has only a fraction of that(10%) e.g with its recent budget of 4 trillion = 26 666 Naira per citizen
Finland is 20 times richer than Nigeria.
The FG with a budget of 27000 Naira per citizen will subsidize petrol , give you free education,build roads and pay salaries

Your analogy is like an okada rider's son saying that he wants a Blackberry phone because Dangote's son has one

What I wrote which I hope you read before your unsolicited quote is clear.
Is there any country with a population of 100 million that offers free university education.
Of what relevance is oil to the discussion. FYI oil is less than 30% of our GDP and not all the revenue from oil goes to government
Is money derived from oil different from money derived from selling fish or chicken?
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PETR.RT.ZS
In 2010 1.5 million people were admitted to university .What is the annual cost of giving these people genuine education that will add value to them and society. What is the optimal ratio of Lecturer/student or are we just turning out so called "graduates" no better that secondary students. Can government afford to pay 500000 on 1.5 million students annually? Are they the only ones in the country?
It is shameful that we have adults who presumably have been to some kind of tertiary education program who cannot analyze logically.
Tell us how much is looted and how much legislooters earn?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko:
There is a difference between the COST and the PRICE of thing in this case fees as far as the UK is concerned. What I am talking about is the cost of providing the service by the provider. The fees for home students in England are subsidized partly and 100% in Scotland. I do not like to engage in arguments without facts. The issue is not about whether it would be nice for everyone to have university education. The issue is what does it cost to provide quality education and how many slots can we afford annually. If we decide we want to do that fine but we must budget for it. To admit 10000 people into a school designed for 1000 asking students to sit on the floor is self deception.
We must remember that students are not the only stakeholders.Employers are too.Even if we deceive students and their parents by awarding them degrees that do not pass muster can we deceive employers? Employment is competition. Do we not do our students a disservice if we allow them to acquire degrees that are clearly inferior to other degrees?
We must put a price on education and BUDGET for it then we will know what we caan and what we cannot afford that is how logical countries operate not on speculative guesses that "we ought to be able to" etc all of that is meaningless.

You make some strong arguments but I beg to differ.
My blood boils whenever these ediots talk about increasing or introducing one fee or another, when the effing problem is corruption and stupendous misplacement of priorities.
When the Nigerian state has put into education ALL the finance, resources AND commitment it needs at ALL three levels to succeed, AND it continues to fail - that is when I will support hiking fees to make things work.

Agreeing to fee increases when the system has not been overhauled and corruption SEVERELY tackled should be resisted at all costs.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by STENON(f): 10:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
Stil in the realm of Confusion......

Tuition fees for wetin............

SMH....

Jesus wept for Nigeria
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 06, 2014
DanNafada:

You make some strong arguments but I beg to differ.
My blood boils whenever these ediots talk about increasing or introducing one fee or another, when the effing problem is corruption and stupendous misplacement of priorities.
When the Nigerian state has put into education ALL the finance, resources AND commitment it needs at ALL three levels to succeed, AND it continues to fail - that is when I will support hiking fees to make things work.

Agreeing to fee increases when the system has not been overhauled and corruption SEVERELY tackled should be resisted at all costs.
Emotional!!!do you have any facts and figures to buttress your position?

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by obeski13(m): 10:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
Its unfortunate that a lot of people advocating for d introduction of school fees are ignorant of d way economies of those countries who charges school fees are structured.in nigeria only less than 20% of income earners earn wages or salaries that is commensurate with d economic situation.i.e what is earned as minimum wage is barely a living wage.whereas in those countries they mentioned what people earn is in tandem wit d economic situation.what social services that are suppose to be free or subsidized that we dont pay for here.is it d inflated electrity bill that we pay for without even having d light,not mentioning petrol we buy to power ou generator.is it water that we provide for ourselves,or d street roads that most residents contribute money to make it motorable.what is govt subsiding for d citizens.it is only in nigeria that u pay house rent of a yr in advance.is it food that is subsidize?in those countries mentioned govt subsidize food, people dont av to generate their energy or water.house rent is monthly or weekly..is it not frm dis meagre amt that over 70% of income earners will want to provide all dis services.what will be d function of govt then?people are already overburdened.any call for fees introduction is an act of evil and wickedness.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 06, 2014
nijanigga:
Tell us how much is looted and how much legislooters earn?
University education is not the only victim of looting. How much money does government contribute to the training of tailors and welders? Are they not Nigerians?, Even if not a single kobo was looted why should University education be a priority in our budget. Unfortunately people trade in sentiments and emotions rather than logic and that is why we need to improve the quality of our university education so as to raise standards of critical thinking.
If we establish the extent of DEMAND for university education we must also establish supply which is the ability of government to pay. Government does not have infinite resources.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 06, 2014
how can sm silly nigerians support increament Wen d one we av being paying is nt being account 4.its being embezzled or are u nt seeing....ok.....no problem....support dem let dem increase Bou mk I tell u by d time majority drop out ds country won't b conducive 4 all of us boko haram na small....u neva see anytin mumu...abii wat r we nt goin ti pay 4 in ds country heeen nd we still dy pay tax ooo
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by dochase: 10:34pm On Jul 06, 2014
Advertise with Dochase today. We place your ads on major websites in Nigeria through our robust advertising network.

• Ads directly targeted to local consumers
• Better Return On Investment.
• Lowest Cost Adverts, lower than Yahoo or Google.
• Ads optimized for smartphones, PCs and other Mobile devices
• Contextual ad serving.

Over 80 million impressions served daily

Visit Us at www.dochase.com

How do you think Finland achieved its goals of high GDP with moderate population? Is it not through education? Same education that is free in their country? Is it by outsourcing every government responsibility, taking the glory of the success of such outsourcing while enriching themselves doing nothing?

Peopla like to see just one side of a story. I read in another thread that our government will quickly copy anything from the west that makes them lazy while contributing to their pockets; anything that requires responsibility and responsive governance is sniffed at.

A revolution is coming, it might not just be the palatable one we imagined.[/quote]
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by kcpumping(m): 10:39pm On Jul 06, 2014
[quote author=iwonbaoko] What is LMAO? is that short hand for poverty of ideas?
Nigeria has a GDP per capita of $1800 = 270000 Naira . This is NOT all government money but the TOTAL ECONOMIC OUTPUT of the nation
Bear in Mind that the Federal Government has only a fraction of that(10%) e.g with its recent budget of 4 trillion = 26 666 Naira per citizen
The FG with a budget of 27000 Naira per citizen will subsidize petrol , give you free education,build roads and pay salaries

Your analogy is like an okada rider's son saying that he wants a Blackberry phone because Dangote's son has one

Is there any country with a population of 100 million that offers free university education.
Of what relevance is oil to the discussion. FYI oil is less than 30% of our GDP and not all the revenue from oil goes to government
Is money derived from oil different from money derived from selling fish or chicken?
In 2010 1.5 million people were admitted to university .What is the annual cost of giving these people genuine education that will add value to them and society. What is the optimal ratio of Lecturer/student or are we just turning out so called "graduates" no better that secondary students. Can government afford to pay 500000 on 1.5 million students annually? Are they the only ones in the country?
It is shameful that we have adults who presumably have been to some kind of tertiary education program who cannot analyze logically.
[/quote. Can u hear yourself speak....to whom much is given much is xpected and to whom little is given......do you know that the 200b released to asu by fg has gone down d drain without any feasible thing done in any of our skuls?broda, there is no justification for their demand, my take
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 06, 2014
obeski13: Its unfortunate that a lot of people advocating for d introduction of school fees are ignorant of d way economies of those countries who charges school fees are structured.in nigeria only less than 20% of income earners earn wages or salaries that is commensurate with d economic situation.i.e what is earned as minimum wage is barely a living wage.whereas in those countries they mentioned what people earn is in tandem wit d economic situation.what social services that are suppose to be free or subsidized that we dont pay for here.is it d inflated electrity bill that we pay for without even having d light,not mentioning petrol we buy to power ou generator.is it water that we provide for ourselves,or d street roads that most residents contribute money to make it motorable.what is govt subsiding for d citizens.it is only in nigeria that u pay house rent of a yr in advance.is it food that is subsidize?in those countries mentioned govt subsidize food, people dont av to generate their energy or water.house rent is monthly or weekly..is it not frm dis meagre amt that over 70% of income earners will want to provide all dis services.what will be d function of govt then?people are already overburdened.any call for fees introduction is an act of evil and wickedness.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
2oby:

u sound lik som1 well educated. U r either frm rich home or poor. If u r frm poor home, den it means u might neva had been previlaged to b as educated as u r nw. Let others get dat previlage too. Bsid, we wer prayin d gov do 1 tin right, rather, dey r undoin d few 'right' done by past leaders. #njesuswept
I sympathize with your sentiment but I am disappointed with your resistance to logic. I want what is good for my country.It is to my advantage if the youth have a better deal but I will tell you a few things for free.Education is not all about going to university and even when university education was free (in the days of Segun Okeowo)and we were given free food and had cleaners come to clean our rooms etc it was not for everybody. Never was and never will be There was a limited supply of university places from day 1.

The starting point of educating any population is literacy. Free education upto secondary school is a fair contract with government. Even in America they will bargain with you to join the Army before they pay your tuition if you return from Kabul After secondary school if you join the police,customs civil service etc with O or A level you will get plenty of "education" during your career. Look at the biographies of our founding fathers or elders like Afe Babalola, Awo etc they did not get free university education many worked as clerks or with compnies like UAC
Looking at it from a national benefit perspective government should educate a population for reasons on national interest not idealism.The focus on university education does not help us if we have white men managing the National Assembly Complex,building our roads,bridges and other major civil engineering projects.More recently it is Chinese "engineers" . FYI most of these people are not graduates. Government needs to focus resources on skill acquisition not certificate acquisition. It has always been the case that Nigerians saw "education" in university as a gateway to a better life. Over the next 20 years there will be multiple opportunities in our power sector which is set to explode.Sadly all our graduate engineers are worse than useless and many of those jobs will go overseas. Many of these so called graduates got into university by fraud and often graduate by fraud. Without fear of contradiction I can assert anywhere that very few Nigerian graduates of today can write an essay comparable to a secondary school student in the 70s. Any so called education spending by goverment should focus on upgrading the skills of those MOST LIKELY to find employment and so government should not be paying for Law,Politics,Botany and all that nonsense.
In the oil sector today we have hundreds of Filipinos taking thousands of dollars monthly are they graduates? Even to be a "maritime cook" requires certification and we have White Cooks from France in our off-shore facilities on huge wages. Are they graduates? No one pays anybody for what they know but for what they do or can do.Skills skills skills. Whether it is truck driving or crane operation or deep water welding those are the areas where I believe government should put our scarce resources

7 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by globatop: 10:56pm On Jul 06, 2014
University education is not meant for all, but our society abhor other certifications like technical, technological and artisans, hence the clamour for uni education. Another point is the lack of power supply and other infractructures as well as govt supports that could make non graduates function on their professions.

Another angle is uni funding: if our politicians that earn outrageous salary can not sacrifice their pay for future of better uni education, is it the children of the poor that will sacrifice their future?
It is a good dream to have Nigerian uni listed among the first 20 in the world, but if such dream were pursued in the 60s will it not have killed the dreams of our so call leaders, the proponent of fee paying public university.
Nigeria always put the cart b4 the horse always, student loan! How would such student be able to pay if he remain applicant 4yrs after graduation?
We should deemphasis uni education by recognising other certifications like technical, technological, even vocationals. Why should poly granduands be subordinate or inferior to uni graduands? If the clamour is always for a degree then I suggest all institutions be converted to degree awarding institution, or what is the essence of producing a product that is not marketable.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: Emotional!!!do you have any facts and figures to buttress your position?

You want me to quote facts and figures to convince you corruption is eating away at the educational sector in Nigeria?

Really?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by semitunde: 11:25pm On Jul 06, 2014
Frankenstein: APC won't bring any change. For all I know, they are worse than the PDP. Fashola is in the same APC and LASU is still on strike because of school fees hike.

Honestly none of the parties really impress me. Its a case of choosing between -8 and -9.

I have a feeling that a war is coming. It might be coated in ethnic, religious or political garments; but it will essentially be a class war.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 06, 2014
abbakacici: BRAZIL in all federal university education is free
This is true but it offers a limited number of places is very competitive and high quality. However this is only able to meet a tiny fraction of the demand and most undergraduates attend institutions where they pay. In Nigeria we know a system based exclusively on merit will be rejected.What happened to GEJ's scholarship scheme
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 11:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: Please name one country with a population over 100 million that gives free university education. Only one example please.NOTHING in this life is free.The handwriting has been on the wall a long time.Nigerians have an attitude of ENTITLEMENT and that explains partly why you see 27 year olds living at home with their parents collecting pocket money. We need less university education and more vocational TRAINING.
Are those people in universities better than those who learn trades? Does government contribute anything to the training of tailors,mechanics,Bricklayers,Vulcanizers etc How are those cultists in universities claiming to be studying economics and politics etc more deserving of government funding than those training as hairdressers and butchers or poultry farmers??
I believe that education should be free up to the age of 18 i.e secondary school or Vocational training.
University education of good quality cannot be free.We should not compromise quality because we want everyone to have it
They should determine the actual cost of educating each student .Without this information we are deceiving ourselves.
Sometime people just refuse to look into the mirror because they are afraid of what they might see.
Having determined the cost we can now have a discussion about how to pay for it. That way the issue of underfunding universities will not come about .
Government will then declare how many students they can afford to pay for and how they are going to allocate those resources. Otherwise government forces universities to over-admit and we end up with students sitting on the floor and aisles.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by nijanigga: 11:37pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: University education is not the only victim of looting. How much money does government contribute to the training of tailors and welders? Are they not Nigerians?, Even if not a single kobo was looted why should University education be a priority in our budget. Unfortunately people trade in sentiments and emotions rather than logic and that is why we need to improve the quality of our university education so as to raise standards of critical thinking.
If we establish the extent of DEMAND for university education we must also establish supply which is the ability of government to pay. Government does not have infinite resources.
My simple point is limpid if you have any iota of critical thinking , its not hard to decipher a simple logic; nigeria's case is a systematic failure.from failed leadership to basic neccesites of life:water, shelter, electricity.you want to fix uni education and isolate otber sectors, its a waste of time.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 06, 2014
DanNafada:

You want me to quote facts and figures to convince you corruption is eating away at the educational sector in Nigeria?

Really?
Good So if corruption is the issue let government privatize all the universities and hands off completely. I have not said government should not fund university education at all. They should make a budget of what they can afford whether as bursary or scholarships to those who meet criteria for priority courses. Government must make allocation not only for university but for other vocational training.That is the essence of equity.
Then the students can choose which school they want to spend their allocated money. My point all along is government must have a budget. Money is not unlimited!!Let the schools compete to attract the students and let the students choose where they want to spend their money. It is important for students to know the COST of what they are getting let there be that transparency so as to boost competition
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by badgan(m): 11:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
whenever Nigeria youth get mentally prepared and ready for a revolution... put my name on the list of volunteers.. will fly in from wherever i am to shoot out this bloody mofos..DID THE PRO CHANCELLOR(S) pay tuition in their time..NO.. so why introducing it now.. JOna had to be imprisoned..or killed if he refuses arrest.... same with tinubu..buhari.. obasanjo.. babangida.. all all that wish the future generation to serve them... feel free to add your name to the list.. i suggest we form a facebook group.. and the moment we hit 5000 members we can contact alqeada for help in training and weapons.. this country needs some some cleansing....criticize my view as you want .. i will wait till the effect hits you to get the last laugh. no be everybody dey buy generator now... how much does it cost to put a nuclear reactor.. but no. they want us to keep buying fuel that they import.. angry angry angryi harbor a serious hate that can be pacified by the blood and heads of at least 4 corrupt politicians.... i want to watch em beg for their life like the common man does every day ..

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 11:49pm On Jul 06, 2014

My brother,I agree with u to a certain extent,but d truth is dis,running a university system in a country like ours is nt rocket science,our leaders are d ones making it seem so,agree,educatn is important,nt everyone can afford university educatn,let some learn vocatioonal training,I dnt knw au old u are and if u have children,but let me ask u,would u av ur childreen acquire vocational training than a university education,if yes,clap for urself,if no,the reasons are obvious,av u askd urself abt d wide gulf betwn d polytechnics and d university today?is it settled and u are talking abt vocational training. I knw u will say,loook at dis country,look at dt country they are thrriving becos some have university educatn while some have vocational training,in dis country,which vocatn you wan learn dt offers better opportunities than a university degree,dnt get me wrong,one way or d other,u still nid a university degree,if u av polytechnic certificate and u are working with it,there is a glass ceiling syndrome whereby u can't go beyond a cerrtain level until u do a masters or equivalent course,u need a university degree,I knw u will say,dis person doesn't av a university,dt person doesn't av,yet he has made it,its just d few lucky ones,d vast majority av been kept down by dis discriminatn,I agree with you abt vocational training,some professions in d world today dnt require university degrees,dose jobs still offer better livelihood,so na person wey learn carpentry,mechanic or hair dressing wey goo get better livelihood,answer my brother,let us stop talking as if its nt people dt are involved,our leaders should stop leading on paper,it wnt work,its all a ripple effect,even on top d tuition matter,where are d jobs,on top al d moni,job is nt assured,our leaders are d problm dis country has,which visionary leaders,nigeria will take a turn for d better,so u think even if they introduce tuition,educatn will get better,its pure lie,look at subsidy,what has come out of it,if our leaders will manage our resources,things will get beetter,if people could afford tuition,why e be say,public universities dey get higher admission stats dan private unis?vocational training is nt wrong,but everyone wants a good life or at least a fair share of d gud life,dnt look at d laws of other countries and conclude its working for them,the citizens might be groaning under it...nt every one needs a university degree,at least Bill Gates didn't av one,but he is one in a billion,a university educatn is nt a guaranty for a good life but still,its good place to start from.

3 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jul 06, 2014
nijanigga:
My simple point is limpid if you have any iota of critical thinking , its not hard to decipher a simple logic; nigeria's case is a systematic failure.from failed leadership to basic neccesites of life:water, shelter, electricity.you want to fix uni education and isolate otber sectors, its a waste of time.
Alas you have more iotas than I can dream of. Woe is me!!
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 11:59pm On Jul 06, 2014
Samakinr:
...you actually mean there are 1.5 million admissions per year in Nigeria?...methink you are wrong. Though i reason with your position, i still won't succumb to it. In the UK, the cost of studying MSc genetic medicine for an international student is £22,000, for a UK citizen it is just £7,500...with an option of applying for a student loan which is payable over a course of 10yrs. M talking of the University college, London, the GDP is beyond $35,000. The thing is nobody is saying we shouldn't pay for tuition....but the fact is that we cannot pay tuition in a country with a GDP of $1,500, with an unemployment rate of 17%....in a country in which a professor earn only $20,000! And the minimum wage is $110. Let the country correct these anomalies then i would personally lead the march for the support of tuition payment. But for now, that pepper seller (who make only averagely 300 a day) must be able to train his child to become a doctor in any public institution on this shore.

You are thinking like a human being my brother...leave some of d people here who are only good on paper,leadership is nt paper,leadership is abt d lives of people.thanks for this humane line of thought.some people just talk and they talk figures,we shud talk people.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 12:07am On Jul 07, 2014
Samakinr:
....okay this' better. Your post afore this one was vague, this' more clear.

Now you are talking,but people like Nyesome Wike or d so called pro chancellors aren't thinking dis way,and may I also say this,I knw university educatn isn't a guarantee for a good life,still,in Nigeria u can barely get ahead without one,all these England,scotland,finland u're saying,do u knw,most ppl who go to university just study certain courses becos its nt offered somewhere or becos of its high level of professionalism or becos they want to become teachers and researchers,their are coolleges who provide top flight educatn,but in Naija,it isn't like dt,people with polytechnic degrees hardly get invited for job interviews at best,they are stuck in one job that hardly pays their bills,yet university isn't a sure bet for a job dt pays all d bills,yet d disparity issue is a enof problm at hand,let's nt add to it.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by davidif: 12:07am On Jul 07, 2014
iwonbaoko: What is LMAO? is that short hand for poverty of ideas?

Excellent post. The only thing you did wrong was to resort to personal attacks.

On another note, I am amazed to see such an analytical post backed by data (which also includes the source of the data) on a website like nairaland of all places.
He be like say you miss road cos this post like yours don't belong on a website like this, they belong on The Economist, the New York Times and the Financial Times.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by ogtavia(m): 12:08am On Jul 07, 2014
Samakinr:
....okay this' better. Your post afore this one was vague, this' more clear.

Now you are talking,but people like Nyesome Wike or d so called pro chancellors aren't thinking dis way,and may I also say this,I knw university educatn isn't a guarantee for a good life,still,in Nigeria u can barely get ahead without one,all these England,scotland,finland u're saying,do u knw,most ppl who go to university just study certain courses becos its nt offered somewhere or becos of its high level of professionalism or becos they want to become teachers and researchers,their are coolleges who provide top flight educatn,but in Naija,it isn't like dt,people with polytechnic degrees hardly get invited for job interviews at best,they are stuck in one job that hardly pays their bills,yet university isn't a sure bet for a job dt pays all d bills,yet d disparity issue is a enof problm at hand,let's nt add to it.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by semitunde: 12:13am On Jul 07, 2014
iwonbaoko: I sympathize with your sentiment but I am disappointed with your resistance to logic. I want what is good for my country.It is to my advantage if the youth have a better deal but I will tell you a few things for free.Education is not all about going to university and even when university education was free (in the days of Segun Okeowo)and we were given free food and had cleaners come to clean our rooms etc it was not for everybody. Never was and never will be There was a limited supply of university places from day 1.

The starting point of educating any population is literacy. Free education upto secondary school is a fair contract with government. Even in America they will bargain with you to join the Army before they pay your tuition if you return from Kabul After secondary school if you join the police,customs civil service etc with O or A level you will get plenty of "education" during your career. Look at the biographies of our founding fathers or elders like Afe Babalola, Awo etc they did not get free university education many worked as clerks or with compnies like UAC
Looking at it from a national benefit perspective government should educate a population for reasons on national interest not idealism.The focus on university education does not help us if we have white men managing the National Assembly Complex,building our roads,bridges and other major civil engineering projects.More recently it is Chinese "engineers" . FYI most of these people are not graduates. Government needs to focus resources on skill acquisition not certificate acquisition. It has always been the case that Nigerians saw "education" in university as a gateway to a better life. Over the next 20 years there will be multiple opportunities in our power sector which is set to explode.Sadly all our graduate engineers are worse than useless and many of those jobs will go overseas. Many of these so called graduates got into university by fraud and often graduate by fraud. Without fear of contradiction I can assert anywhere that very few Nigerian graduates of today can write an essay comparable to a secondary school student in the 70s. Any so called education spending by goverment should focus on upgrading the skills of those MOST LIKELY to find employment and so government should not be paying for Law,Politics,Botany and all that nonsense.
In the oil sector today we have hundreds of Filipinos taking thousands of dollars monthly are they graduates? Even to be a "maritime cook" requires certification and we have White Cooks from France in our off-shore facilities on huge wages. Are they graduates? No one pays anybody for what they know but for what they do or can do.Skills skills skills. Whether it is truck driving or crane operation or deep water welding those are the areas where I believe government should put our scarce resources

Pls do not misconstrue the argument for better funding for education, amongst other govt responsibilities, as saying they should give undue priority to university education, no.

Funding of education should include funding for the training of technicians and the provision of the structure that provide this; and even for artisans. Where do we have cogent govt input for artisans in this country?

Pls realise that regardless of the level of govt funding and as regards to income, most people still.pay through their nose for education in this country.

The govt cannot convince anyone of its limited financial resources while belching due to corrupt financial constipation.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 07, 2014
ogtavia:

You are thinking like a human being my brother...leave some of d people here who are only good on paper,leadership is nt paper,leadership is abt d lives of people.thanks for this humane line of thought.some people just talk and they talk figures,we shud talk people.
....that's the truth bro. My own father was a retired headmaster, but he managed to send 2 children to medical school, one for pharmacy, and another for English art. Thanks be to OAU, which made if affordable. That was obviously the only value i have from this nation (and i appreciate it)....a reason why I'm at the fore front of campaigning for an affordable education, we there it is university, technical college or whatever, the government is infact only allocating only 13% instead of the 25% of the budget as stipulated by the UNESCO.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Surely001(m): 12:18am On Jul 07, 2014
samtopy: They all enjoyed free education.......smh

and the worst part of it is that Non of their children school in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos: Nairalander's Sister Graduates From Igbinedion University. / 200L UNIJOS Student, Ejike Dies (photo) / Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.