Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,583 members, 7,929,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 05:07 AM

Is Lupita Overrated? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Is Lupita Overrated? (2367 Views)

Ini Edo VS Lupita Nyong'o: Who Rocked It Better? / Is Ice-prince Overrated? / Is Tiwa Savage's Beauty Overrated? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lupita Overrated? by goodgaga: 1:41pm On Jul 07, 2014
Interesting article about the breakout actress Lupita. She has made Africa proud. interesting comparison with other top Nigerian actresses

http://arewadaily.com/lupita-overrated/

Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by alabiyemmy(m): 2:28pm On Jul 07, 2014
Person don hit am big u dey talk of overrate.
Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by McWhillion(m): 3:13pm On Jul 07, 2014
I think she's lucky cos i think she's overrated.

1 Like

Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by goodgaga: 3:23pm On Jul 07, 2014
@McWhillion luck is what i think too. Especially compared to actresses such as Genevieve and Omotola
Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by londoner: 5:14pm On Jul 07, 2014
No, I don't think so. This is the result of hard work over the years, as well as being in the right place and the right time, to take advantage of opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by omar22(m): 5:47pm On Jul 07, 2014
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha calling an Academy winner overrated kind of strange.
Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by McWhillion(m): 6:23pm On Jul 07, 2014
londoner: No, I don't think so. This is the result of hard work over the years, as well as being in the right place and the right time, to take advantage of opportunities

You just defined luck, that's why we say she's overrated compared to other veteran actors and actresses.

1 Like

Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by londoner: 6:30pm On Jul 07, 2014
McWhillion:

You just defined luck, that's why we say she's overrated compared to other veteran actors and actresses.

Veteran actresses and actors like who? As far as I'm concerned any actor or actress that becomes a star or one of the minority of people who "make it" are also those who were in the right place, at the right time, to be able take up opportunities that present themselves. It is not to suggest that they don't earn or deserve those roles. In that case they all have luck to thank, right?

To me, saying someone is overrated, is suggesting that they are not that good at what they do.

Lupita has actually paid her dues, long before the film in which Hollywood took notice of her. Hard work should never be overlooked on a person's journey to "making it".

3 Likes

Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by McWhillion(m): 9:31pm On Jul 07, 2014
londoner:

Veteran actresses and actors like who? As far as I'm concerned any actor or actress that becomes a star or one of the minority of people who "make it" are also those who were in the right place, at the right time, to be able take up opportunities that present themselves. It is not to suggest that they don't earn or deserve those roles. In that case they all have luck to thank, right?

To me, saying someone is overrated, is suggesting that they are not that good at what they do.

Lupita has actually paid her dues, long before the film in which Hollywood took notice of her. Hard work should never be overlooked on a person's journey to "making it".

Seems you know her so well. Now Lupita's debut in the movie industry was in 2008. She's good and i know so many other African(Nigerian actors and actress that would be in the same category or even above her when it comes to acting). Now she got a supporting role in an internationally recognized movie [ /b]…………that to me is luck.
Just imagine winning an academy award in a [b]supporting role
for being the best [b]supporting actress[\b]…… very lucky girl.

Dont forget she's born into affluence(her father is a professor turn politician, he was a Minister then senator in Kenya), therefore she can afford to attend an ivy league school(Yale school of drama) where 3 weeks to her obtaining a masters in theatre arts she landed a role in "12 years a slave", this same role that landed her the academy award...... tell me she isnt lucky.

Now tell me if the likes of our own actresses ( Genevive, Mercy Johnson, Omotola, Rita Dominic) just to mention a few were that lucky to appear in such feature films, they wouldn't perform so well as to deserve an Oscar right? You've got to be kidding me.

The same genes that made Jonathan very lucky to ride to the post of Presidency recides in Lupita Nyongo.

What a lucky lady girl!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by JEITO: 9:48pm On Jul 07, 2014
I will say that she is fortunate because. She wasn't even the lead character in the movie that really brought her to fame. @ 12years a slave
Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by londoner: 7:42pm On Jul 08, 2014
McWhillion:

Seems you know her so well. Now Lupita's debut in the movie industry was in 2008. She's good and i know so many other African(Nigerian actors and actress that would be in the same category or even above her when it comes to acting). Now she got a supporting role in an internationally recognized movie [ /b]…………that to me is luck.
Just imagine winning an academy award in a [b]supporting role
for being the best [b]supporting actress[\b]…… very lucky girl.

Dont forget she's born into affluence(her father is a professor turn politician, he was a Minister then senator in Kenya), therefore she can afford to attend an ivy league school(Yale school of drama) where 3 weeks to her obtaining a masters in theatre arts she landed a role in "12 years a slave", this same role that landed her the academy award...... tell me she isnt lucky.

Now tell me if the likes of our own actresses ( Genevive, Mercy Johnson, Omotola, Rita Dominic) just to mention a few were that lucky to appear in such feature films, they wouldn't perform so well as to deserve an Oscar right? You've got to be kidding me.

The same genes that made Jonathan very lucky to ride to the post of Presidency recides in Lupita Nyongo.

What a lucky lady girl!!!!

Yes, other actresses are also good, but did they go for the casting all for 12 years a Slave? How many international films have they gone to the casting call for?

Lupita was not the only woman to respond to the casting call, was she? She obviously impressed the right people.

At the end of he day, I don't think people like Ini Edo are that good, to me she has no depth. In fact I think Mercy Johnson is a million times better than her, because of the depth of her talent and the variety of character she can bring to life.

Genny is a great actress, and she had a role in Half of a Yellow Sun, in which she did not stand out imo. That film was released internationally and saw it in Australia. Shining when you are given the opportunity and audience is key to getting attention in the entertainment world.

If she had shined, maybe she also would have been invited to go for a role and you never know, you may end up creating a thread saying she is overrated.......lol

To be honest, out of the actresses you mentioned, the only Oscar potential I have seen is from Mercy and Rita. Genny is good, but Ini is predictable and lacks depth. That's just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by McWhillion(m): 8:29pm On Jul 08, 2014
londoner:

Yes, other actresses are also good, but did they go for the casting all for 12 years a Slave? How many international films have they gone to the casting call for?

Lupita was not the only woman to respond to the casting call, was she? She obviously impressed the right people.

At the end of he day, I don't think people like Ini Edo are that good, to me she has no depth. In fact I think Mercy Johnson is a million times better than her, because of the depth of her talent and the variety of character she can bring to life.

Genny is a great actress, and she had a role in Half of a Yellow Sun, in which she did not stand out imo. That film was released internationally and saw it in Australia. Shining when you are given the opportunity and audience is key to getting attention in the entertainment world.

If she had shined, maybe she also would have been invited to go for a role and you never know, you may end up creating a thread saying she is overrated.......lol

To be honest, out of the actresses you mentioned, the only Oscar potential I have seen is from Mercy and Rita. Genny is good, but Ini is predictable and lacks depth. That's just my opinion.

i know better than to argue with guys like you
Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by londoner: 9:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
McWhillion:

i know better than to argue with guys like you

"women like me".....lol
Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by McWhillion(m): 10:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
londoner:

"women like me".....lol
Ok women like you and my mum
Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by londoner: 11:17pm On Jul 08, 2014
McWhillion:
Ok women like you and my mum

Lol.....
Re: Is Lupita Overrated? by Lordabas: 11:35pm On Jul 08, 2014
She proves that its not about the looks but rather character and charisma...
She doesn't conform to normal standards of beauty and 'hot' and thats probably why people warm to her.
I don't think shes over-rated. She is one of the more personable celebrities smiley

(1) (Reply)

Playing Words: Tee A Calls Davido “A Fool” At Miss Global Nigeria 2014 / This Guy Says He Looks Like Mikel Obi...does He?? (photos) / Meet Nollywood Actor Udeoka Onyebuchi Raphael (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.