Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,732 members, 7,889,353 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 10:16 AM

Wedding: Public Or Private Event? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wedding: Public Or Private Event? (1437 Views)

Why Do Most Women Enjoy Humiliating Other Women (both In Public Or In The Home)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Curiouscity(m): 9:07pm On Jul 07, 2014
Since the onset of the 21st century (2000s), wedding aka white wedding has been upgraded to very high standard. So many expectations, comparisons etc. Some people even quarrel if they are not invited or given a role to play.
I was of the opinion that the couple has the final say on what kind of wedding they want, but I listened to 2 friends argue today. The summary I got is that wedding is a public event for friends, family and the community the couple live. Is wedding in our country a public event or private event? Has it been like this with the people that brought this ceremony to us?
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by coogar: 9:11pm On Jul 07, 2014
Curiouscity: Since the onset of the 21st century (2000s), wedding aka white wedding has been upgraded to very high standard. So many expectations, comparisons etc. Some people even quarrel if they are not invited or given a role to play.
I was of the opinion that the couple has the final say on what kind of wedding they want, but I listened to 2 friends argue today. The summary I got is that wedding is a public event for friends, family and the community the couple live. Is wedding in our country a public event or private event? Has it been like this with the people that brought this ceremony to us?

it should be a private event but this ceremony was imposed on us africans by the imperialists thus changing the dynamism of the whole works. africans generally thrive on the communal spirit. a child is literally fathered & mothered by the entire community. so when that child grows up, succeeds in life & decides to get married, the whole community feels entitled to attend the wedding of the child they helped raise.

2 Likes

Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Curiouscity(m): 9:19pm On Jul 07, 2014
I like you candid answer, it captures almost everything I was thinking. But, what happen in a situation where the couple are just residents of this area, unto work but were not raised there? Is that community still entitled?

coogar:

it should be a private event but this ceremony was imposed on us africans by the imperialists thus changing the dynamism of the whole works. africans generally thrive on the communal spirit. a child is literally fathered & mothered by the entire community. so when that child grows up, succeeds in life & decides to get married, the whole community feels entitled to attend the wedding of the child they helped raise.
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 07, 2014
Curiouscity: Since the onset of the 21st century (2000s), wedding aka white wedding has been upgraded to very high standard. So many expectations, comparisons etc. Some people even quarrel if they are not invited or given a role to play.

which kinda friends and community?
na friends and community go organise the wedding?
abi na friends and community wan do wedding?
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 07, 2014
Public event.
After the traditional marriage which is somewhat private. Anyone planning on a wedding should be ready for the publicity.
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by coogar: 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2014
Curiouscity: I like you candid answer, it captures almost everything I was thinking. But, what happen in a situation where the couple are just residents of this area, unto work but were not raised there? Is that community still entitled?

nah, they aren't entitled.
i doubt they will even show up if they don't know the couple.

1 Like

Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Tallesty1(m): 9:35pm On Jul 07, 2014
coogar:

Lols, your answer takes us back to square one.
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by egopersonified(f): 9:44pm On Jul 07, 2014
A wedding is for the couple, family and friends, thats y u see people pay for and do what they like, but the marriage is for the couple.
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Curiouscity(m): 9:44pm On Jul 07, 2014
@coogar, U know how Nigerians are quick to be friends and people from same state in another city claim brotherhood even when they are all jealous of your success and progress. These are the ones I am talking about. For me, even in the community you were raised, I feel it should be private. Note the word "feel". The type of community you refered to in your earlier post is hard to find in today's Nigeria.

Gone are those days when it took a community to raise a child.

coogar:

Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by coogar: 9:47pm On Jul 07, 2014
Curiouscity: @coogar, U know how Nigerians are quick to be friends and people from same state in another city claim brotherhood even when they are all jealous of your success and progress. These are the ones I am talking about. For me, even in the community you were raised, I feel it should be private. Note the word "feel". The type of community you refered to in your earlier post is hard to find in today's Nigeria.

Gone are those days when it took a community to raise a child.

if we remove lagos out of the equation & perhaps abuja, other places in nigeria still generally share the communal spirit. on christmas day, rice & chicken are still shared via door-to-door knocking. africans like togetherness but i agree things are starting to change.
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by bunmioguns(m): 10:02pm On Jul 07, 2014
undecided
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Kanwulia: 11:10pm On Jul 07, 2014
Neither!
Waste of money for a POTENTIAL DIVORCE!
Not to mention feed ijjjots! kiss

Just a simple native law for BOTH FAMILIES ONLY!
No FRENEMIES invited! Then ONLY THE COUPLE AND ONE WITNESS AT THE REGISTRY!

Simple. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Curiouscity(m): 5:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
Kanwulia: Neither!
Waste of money for a POTENTIAL DIVORCE!
Not to mention feed ijjjots! kiss

Just a simple native law for BOTH FAMILIES ONLY!
No FRENEMIES invited! Then ONLY THE COUPLE AND ONE WITNESS AT THE REGISTRY!

Simple. kiss

Lol @frenermies!!!
They are the ones that feel entitled most so that they can have a subject for gossip.
IMO, d couple has a right to do how it pleases them. The people that first put this ceremony into the Christian domain, said "For the happiness of the couple................"
Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
Everything all boils down to what the couples wants issues like this is a thing of choice

Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
egopersonified: A wedding is for the couple, family and friends, thats y u see people pay for and do what they like, but the marriage is for the couple.
well true that nigerians still live and practice communialism.thats why there is still aso ebi in weddings, souvenirs, friends of the bride or groom, siblings of the bride, friends of the couples parents and all those issh involved in weddings

Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
However even though it boils down to couples preferences I doubt whether communialism can live nigerian weddings because like someone earlier said wedding is for the immediate and extended family, friends and well wishers to play their parrt,marriage is for the couple

Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by crackhaus: 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2014
A wedding to me has and will always be a strictly PRIVATE event...but will the bride and both mothers ever agree to that? I think not.. angry

2 Likes

Re: Wedding: Public Or Private Event? by corisande: 8:14am On Jul 09, 2014
grin
Wedding in this our nigeria private event?grin
Are there no extended family members,friends,friends of friends.
Even the uninvited and those gatecrashers

well, celebrations in this part of the world are always like that oh.
if you do restricted by invitation parties here, the beefing no dey ever end.
see in a case where u forget to invite some people to your parties, the first thing they will say to you is "so you had a party and I was not invited" before congratulations kpa kpagrin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help Needed Urgently / The Real Meaning Of GDP (picture) / business Man Faints As DNA Show His 4 Kids belongs to his neighbor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.