Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,194 members, 7,903,931 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 02:15 AM

What Is The Best Alternative To Stew - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Best Alternative To Stew (17223 Views)

Ofe Akwu Vs Tomato Stew / How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
unearthed: Plantain sauce

Get ripe plantain. dice the plantain
dice onions...a lot of it
put groundnut oil in a pot n pour diced plantain to fry
after frying for about 5-8mins or to ur taste, add d diced onions n a little tomato paste.
add spices 4 taste.

n u r done!

OR

Vegetable sauce

Get pumpkin leaves n slice
dice tomato n onions
put oil in a pan n fry tomato
add pumpkin leaves after tomato has fried to ur taste
allow leave 2 cook 4 a while
add spices to taste
then add onions.

#gbam
u r done!

everything get sauce now?
I'm just waiting. maybe I go see bread sauce, water sauce, coconut sauce or even paw paw sauce
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by eme1n(m): 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2014
Pepper soup!!
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure there's no other alternative to stew that would not require the same stress, time and money.
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by checkdate(m): 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2014
runzlord:
someone told me dat. fear de cash me. how e go taste?
Blend in small (small) quantities of ginger, garlic, and scent leaf; mix together.
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Pastis: 5:34pm On Jul 11, 2014
[quote author=kulyie]Or eforiro wink

with eba

You are a bad guy, why are causing this wahala in my tummy now?
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 11, 2014
obioraval: just reply me... You would make a good wife... You know how to get a mans stomach... If you ain't married, I don't mind bringing wine.. I'm from anambra.
lol nope i'm not married buh come on its just egg sauce
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by obioraval(m): 6:19pm On Jul 11, 2014
IfyAngela:
lol nope i'm not married buh come on its just egg sauce
and Vegetable
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by cronsberg: 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2014
Try nasi goreng ayam. With teh terek. yum yum grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 11, 2014
obioraval: and Vegetable
yeah and that too
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by lasheez(m): 7:03pm On Jul 11, 2014
Pepper Soup.It is really a good alternative especially the one with fish in it.Try it and thank me later. wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by bigtt76(f): 7:13pm On Jul 11, 2014
Call me next time ...I get stew grin
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by toprealman: 8:35pm On Jul 11, 2014
Gravy....for some things sha.
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Ewuro1: 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2014
runzlord: hello guys.
most times I have rice at home like 2days ago, I had boiled rice but no stew and no soup. but I had cash. so what can I quickly make to eat the rice?

Soya sauce or Butter/margarine.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by SimplySeraphic(f): 10:25pm On Jul 11, 2014
Pepper soup and rice is very delicious.just get blended pepper soup ingredients and fresh fish. N u good to go...
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Angeldemivida: 1:20am On Jul 12, 2014
runzlord:
everything get sauce now?
I'm just waiting. maybe I go see bread sauce, water sauce, coconut sauce or even paw paw sauce

Oh yeah! Sauce is any thickened watery kind of gravy you eat your food with. What we wrongly call stew should be referred to as tomato sauce because stew is actually a method of cooking and not the name of the food, we are wrongly referring to our tomato sauce as stew.
The good thing about food is that you can create anything you want. You can't believe what you can achieve with coconut water, you can make a string of great sauces to eat your rice with it. All you have to do is use different vegs and different spices for different sets and name it what you like. As for the paw paw, some people use it in their tomato sauce. I use to grind in some pumpkin into my tomato sauce too(not the green leaves but the yellow body of the big round pumpkin body that is shaped like watermelon). It is very nutritious.
When I did my youth service, I derived a quick and easy way of eating rice and branded it Cucumato rice. I just boil my white rice and eat it with a mixture of diced cucumber and fresh tomato along with sardine or Geisha. It's nice. There are great ways you can eat your rice.

You can make meat sauce by cooking your well spiced chicken or meat, thickening it with corn starch(grocery packed) or flour, throw in some cut up mixed vegetables like peas,carrot,broccoli,carbage, cauliflower. It is even sweeter than our normal tomato sauce. This is where you can employ coconut water to add fun to the meat sauce if you wish, I use that sometimes. (I recommend that you always keep packs of already mixed vegetable they have in the grocery or you can buy cheaper vegs in the market, cut them up and keep in the fridge).

You can also fry up some mixed vegetables in olive oil, spice it up a little bit and if you have any canned fish in your pantry, warm it nicely and eat them all together. Nice and easy! You can even quickly cut up sausages (Oh yes! same sausage u eat your breakfast bread with) and fry dry it a bit together with cut up fresh tomato and onions, spice it up and your rice is ready to eat. Yum Yum!

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Angeldemivida: 1:50am On Jul 12, 2014
This thread reminded me of a very sweet sauce I use to make with cauliflower. How do I concoct it again? Racks my brain. I cook up my spiced meat and throw in a mixture of carrot and cauliflower(cauliflower is the base veg,so I put plenty of it) green it up with another green veg say green beans. Add a tin of the oriental veg mix (mushroom,bamboo shoot,babycorn). Spice it up nicely. Boy! that my sauce is damn sweet! Sweeter if the choice meat is beef, the taste of beef in the meat gravy has the sauce exploding with rich taste. I like to play up with vegs.
I also have my cabbage version of it in which cabbage is the base veg but the cabbage version is simpler, does not get a throw in of the oriental mix and the method of cooking it is different. The meat is first boiled and kept aside, the vegs get slightly fried in this order onion, carrot, cabbage, green beans before meat broth is poured in, heated a little bit more and it's ready to it.
The sweet thing is that it's all your recipe. Made by yourself.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Angeldemivida: 2:03am On Jul 12, 2014
Another lovely quick one is get a handful of green beans, wash it and dip them in hot water for 2 minutes and cut off the tip ends slightly. Get two sticks of carrot, wash, scrape off the back and cut it straight up vertically into say 7 or 8 parts so that it will be as long and thin as the green beans. Simply Garnish your rice with the mixture of long carrots and green beans. Add warmed canned salmon fish,mackerel or sardine.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Angeldemivida: 2:13am On Jul 12, 2014
Sauces Baby! Sauce up your life.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Angeldemivida: 2:18am On Jul 12, 2014
More Sauces!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Angeldemivida: 2:22am On Jul 12, 2014
Veg up your Lives!

There I have added colour to you guys' thread. Smile.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by yollychika(f): 11:12am On Jul 12, 2014
fresh fish sauce
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by expert101(m): 11:16am On Jul 12, 2014
Curry Sauce with vegetables, peas, green peppers, carrots...
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2014
Angeldemivida:
Sauces Baby! Sauce up your life.
re u a lady?
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Rossikki: 10:50pm On Jul 14, 2014
poster if you're tired of red stew make rice and curry goat.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by mamachops(f): 11:42am On Jul 17, 2014
take your career to the next level

Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by marketresearch: 3:30pm On Jan 14, 2015
Egusi, Queen of Nigerian Soups - Grounded Edition

Let's face it. You love Egusi soup - that zestful spicy companion to your Pounded Yam. If you want a meal that will water your mouth and fill your stomach, look no further than the most popular soup in Nigeria.

for Nigerians looking for egusi in the US, you can get your ingredients here - http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/egusi
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Konquest: 11:36pm On Feb 26
PG1 Egg sauce recipe.

slice your onions, tomatoes and a lil pepper then you heat your oil and throw in the onions, tomatoes, pepper to fry add salt. In a bowl break as many eggs as you desire and whisk, pour the whisked eggs in your tomatoe sauce stir well to give it that scrambled look then let it fry a little, bring it down and voila your egg sauce is ready. Most people eat this with yam buh its also delish with rice and spag. Enjoy
Re: What Is The Best Alternative To Stew by Konquest: 11:38pm On Feb 26
ibizgirl:
To make quick corned beef sauce
Place a sauce pan on the cooker, add some vegetable oil. Chop you onions, when the oil heats up add the onions, tomato puree.
If you have fresh tomotoes, wash and cut up and add to the onions and tomato puree, if you don't have skip this and add grinded pepper, salt, seasoning cube, curry and thyme and a bit of water allow to simmer for a while and added your corned beef. Allow to simmer for 3-5 mins and serve with a steaming plate of rice. Enjoy your meal
Bump.
Corned beef sauce... An impressive recipe.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do People Like Goat Meat? / I Want To Slim Down Pls Advice What Should I Do? / Moin-moin: To Peel Or Not To Peel The Beans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.