Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,433 members, 7,904,598 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 04:17 PM

Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? (2689 Views)

Man Sponsored These Children To School Because Their Parents Couldn’t Afford To / Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future / 198 In My Jamb......planning To Do Medicine In OAU. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 7:07am On Jul 09, 2014
I have always been against this attitude of parents forcing their children to do a course they don't like. Until it came to my turn, though when i was younger i prefered medicine but when i grew up i developed interest in civil engineering, not only because of the skills or intelligence on enginnering but the spiritual aspect of it. So i did chem,phy,maths,eng for engineering In jamb instead of bio,phy,eng,chem for medicine. Though they told me to do that of medicine but i didnt. I did the jamb and I came out with a good score. Now my parents are forcing me to do A levels or rewrite jamb. Pls wat can i do?
I need your advice seriously.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by lomaxx: 7:31am On Jul 09, 2014
Parents have been making this mistake from time immemorial till now. You are not the only person. I've met countless people whose parents feel if they're not studying medicine then they are not living the life. Parents know very little about studying hard to get a spot in a good university. Parents know little about the rules and regulations that guide your stay in this place. Parents do not know that if you make a slight error, you could be pushed out of the program. Parents do not know that you spend 7 useful years of your life studying day and night. Parents do not know that this place robs you of time for yourself, time for your friends and time for family.

There are a lot of things parents do not know about med school. Most of them do it out of utter ignorance. And you must not allow it.

If you want civil engineering, go for civil engineering. Don't be bullied into what you don't want. My parents initially didn't want me to study medicine- they had their plans. I did it against their wish. Sooner or later they had to live with the reality that it's my life and the choice remains mine. And whatever would come out of it will be my responsibility.

So it's up to you. Let no one bully you. 7 years is a lot of time to spend in a course you don't want.

1 Like

Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by jaryeh(m): 7:37am On Jul 09, 2014
Why do you wanna go for Civil Engineering? Articulate your points, discuss with them to convince them that you prefer Civil Engineering.

1 Like

Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 7:48am On Jul 09, 2014
jaryeh: Why do you wanna go for Civil Engineering? Articulate your points, discuss with them to convince them that you prefer Civil Engineering.
i have not only discussed with them. We even invited a family freind but my dad rejected the offer. He said I must do it.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by lomaxx: 7:50am On Jul 09, 2014
Sijioke: i have not only discussed with them. We even invited a family freind but my dad rejected the offer. He said I must do it.

Have you asked him why he wants you to study medicine?
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 7:57am On Jul 09, 2014
lomaxx:

Have you asked him why he wants you to study medicine?
yea, i did.. He said all my elder ones studied another course, so i should be the one to study medicine and because i am brillant..that was the main reason.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by jaryeh(m): 8:03am On Jul 09, 2014
Sijioke: i have not only discussed with them. We even invited a family freind but my dad rejected the offer. He said I must do it.
Oh! That's serious. I'm sure those who have experienced this before or parents on the forum will advise you better. Forgive me, I'm a small boy.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by lomaxx: 8:16am On Jul 09, 2014
Sijioke: yea, i did.. He said all my elder ones studied another course, so i should be the one to study medicine and because i am brillant..that was the main reason.

Yeah. I'm familiar with that story. Parent feels because you're smart then you should naturally study medicine. That's a very flawed perspective. Very flawed. I'd say you should persist.

Whatever happens, don't do what you don't want. In the long run, you'd need more than intelligence to sustain you.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 9:03am On Jul 09, 2014
lomaxx:

Yeah. I'm familiar with that story. Parent feels because you're smart then you should naturally study medicine. That's a very flawed perspective. Very flawed. I'd say you should persist.

Whatever happens, don't do what you don't want. In the long run, you'd need more than intelligence to sustain you.
dat is great. I appreciate you.. I need more of God and intelligence. THANKS.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by mstik(f): 9:48am On Jul 09, 2014
Come, ask your parents "after I study medicine, will you live my life for me?" Explain to them that you do not to do something that you don't like, and you'll be stuck with for life
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 09, 2014
Because every parents want to Answer mama,or papa Doctor,without putting the interest of the child first..Life is easier when we do what we like,or have interest in..as regard your parents,stand your ground,and let them realize your passion,what you need is their prayers,if Otunba Gadafi can make it a mobile toilet operator,I see no reason people can't make it in their endeavour.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Doclight(m): 11:31am On Jul 09, 2014
lomaxx: Parents have been making this mistake from time immemorial till now. You are not the only person. I've met countless people whose parents feel if they're not studying medicine then they are not living the life. Parents know very little about studying hard to get a spot in a good university. Parents know little about the rules and regulations that guide your stay in this place. Parents do not know that if you make a slight error, you could be pushed out of the program. Parents do not know that you spend 7 useful years of your life studying day and night. Parents do not know that this place robs you of time for yourself, time for your friends and time for family.

There are a lot of things parents do not know about med school. Most of them do it out of utter ignorance. And you must not allow it.

If you want civil engineering, go for civil engineering. Don't be bullied into what you don't want. My parents initially didn't want me to study medicine- they had their plans. I did it against their wish. Sooner or later they had to live with the reality that it's my life and the choice remains mine. And whatever would come out of it will be my responsibility.

So it's up to you. Let no one bully you. 7 years is a lot of time to spend in a course you don't want.
i love diz
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 09, 2014
Why do parents force their children to read medicine

(Full disclosure....I am a doctor).

Because Medicine is the only course where you are guaranteed a job after you graduate....and even before you do your NYSC.

Plus, if you cannot get a job as a doctor...nothing stops you opening up your clinic in a one room apartment....and growing in to a hospital ten years later (as one of my former bosses did).

Other courses in Nigeria have poor job prospects. Like a friend of mine who read Fine Art....and is yet to get a job after over 5 years. Or another one who did business admin....and no job three years post graduate.

Until Nigeria becomes a industrial society.......
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 11:49am On Jul 09, 2014
bushdoc9919: Why do parents force their children to read medicine

(Full disclosure....I am a doctor).

Because Medicine is the only course where you are guaranteed a job after you graduate....and even before you do your NYSC.

Plus, if you cannot get a job as a doctor...nothing stops you opening up your clinic in a one room apartment....and growing in to a hospital ten years later (as one of my former bosses did).

Other courses in Nigeria have poor job prospects. Like a friend of mine who read Fine Art....and is yet to get a job after over 5 years. Or another one who did business admin....and no job three years post graduate.

Until Nigeria becomes a industrial society.......
if i am getting you right u actually meant doctors are the only ones who make it in Nigeria.. If you reason that way also know that .. President Goodluck jonathan studied Zoology and Gen olusegun obasanjo studied civil enginnering with the aid of his younger sister.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Doclight(m): 11:56am On Jul 09, 2014
hmmmmmmmm, i'm also a victim.

Right from 1 day old, i've been drawing everytime,

i grew up with such aspiration and intended gong for creative art, but my parents detested it. My mum said, "i won't waste money on your education on that kind of thing".

My dad said,"never!"

so i was stucked but i persisted, my dad started disposing all my art works and materials. Anytime he sees me drawing, he chides.

By then i was about entering ss2.

My dad said i should study a lucrative course. He told me to choose btw engr., law and med.

But since my elder sis was aspiring med, i dropped to mechanical engr.(wanted to do med)

By den i started loosing my addictions to art, i can now let a whole day go without drawing.

Finally, i lost it and hungered for a lucrative course.

Later i changed my mind and hungered for law, i den switched to art, i did art throughout doing best in literature.

I did art in school, after coming out, i found out dat i'd love life as a doctor, i love making people happy and helping them, i also love a challenging course and carrer. Although it sounded strange to everyone, they were not comfortable with my numerous change of carrer. They ascribe me "the confused one". Smh(na my fault?)

At these juncture, i'd end my tori.

Bottom line: my parents put me in confusion in the world of carrer.

Hope u'v learnt from my story?

I'm now comfortable with med/surg and cant do anyother course outside med.

1 Like

Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 09, 2014
Sijioke: if i am getting you right u actually meant doctors are the only ones who make it in Nigeria.. If you reason that way also know that .. President Goodluck jonathan studied Zoology and Gen olusegun obasanjo studied civil enginnering with the aid of his younger sister.

I don't deny that....but just look at the ''Vacancy '' pages in the newspapers....the medical doctor jobs are the ones that do not require 5 years post NYSC experience.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 12:45pm On Jul 09, 2014
bushdoc9919:

I don't deny that....but just look at the ''Vacancy '' pages in the newspapers....the medical doctor jobs are the ones that do not require 5 years post NYSC experience.
u guys spend about 7 yrs or more and you expect them to write + NYSC.. Wen other mates are through with their NYSC and are in their various place of work.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 10, 2014
I'm a victim of this. cry
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 3:06pm On Jul 10, 2014
Victoriousvic: I'm a victim of this. cry
welcome to the world boy.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Doclight(m): 3:17pm On Jul 10, 2014
Victoriousvic: I'm a victim of this. cry
share ur experiences

1 Like

Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 3:57pm On Jul 10, 2014
Doclight: share ur experiences
abi naw
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 10, 2014
Doclight: share ur experiences
Well, uhm.. I wanted to be a banker, but my parents didn't agree to it and wanted me to be a medical doctor.

I'm currently studying a course in the medical field, but the passion isn't there and I feel like I'm just wasting my time there. I'm about to start afresh sha, and go for what I want.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by STENON(f): 6:33am On Jul 11, 2014
I'm also a Victim..

Snc my First Day on earth, I dislike that course. Bt My Parnt wish I shld go for Medicine.
Although, Throughout my Primary, secondary and evn till now that I'm in Higher Institution, some People never stop calling me "Doctor".

Academically and Physically, I'l do well in Medicine.
Bt Mentally and Emmotionally, The interest is nt jst there. They refused to pay for my OAU PD some yrs ago, after passing their entrance exam simply because I'm going for PMC(Physics,Maths and chemistry oriented course).

Bt i dnt have interest in that Medicine.
I have so much interest in Geophysics(Exploration aspect).

Thank God for my Life now, I'm very comfortable, Happy and Performing Excellently in my Present course. Though they said I'l be young wen I graduate and that I shld wrt anoda Jamb and go for Medicine, bt I'v told them that I can'nt and I won't, because My Plan is to cross to Geophysics at Masters Level,Go for my PhD immediately and become A Doctor in my Discipline.

I think this is the only way that I'v offended my Parent.
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Sijioke(m): 9:21am On Jul 11, 2014
STENON: I'm also a Victim..

Snc my First Day on earth, I dislike that course. Bt My Parnt wish I shld go for Medicine.
Although, Throughout my Primary, secondary and evn till now that I'm in Higher Institution, some People never stop calling me "Doctor".

Academically and Physically, I'l do well in Medicine.
Bt Mentally and Emmotionally, The interest is nt jst there. They refused to pay for my OAU PD some yrs ago, after passing their entrance exam simply because I'm going for PMC(Physics,Maths and chemistry oriented course).

Bt i dnt have interest in that Medicine.
I have so much interest in Geophysics(Exploration aspect).

Thank God for my Life now, I'm very comfortable, Happy and Performing Excellently in my Present course. Though they said I'l be young wen I graduate and that I shld wrt anoda Jamb and go for Medicine, bt I'v told them that I can'nt and I won't, because My Plan is to cross to Geophysics at Masters Level,Go for my PhD immediately and become A Doctor in my Discipline.

I think this is the only way that I'v offended my Parent.
Inspiring!
Re: Why Must Parents Force Their Children To Do Medicine? by Drpappy(m): 8:54pm On Mar 11, 2016
I do sympathise with young Nigerian students who are forced by their parents to study one course or the other at university. One of the problems is actually the fact that most students are too young to make a decision about their future career at the age of 15/16 (prior to going to university). Most students don't really have any work experience under their belt at this stage and they only make a decision based on what they feel or purely based on their academic interests. Secondly, career counselling is almost non-existent in most Nigerian secondary school (apart from some private schools). The Nigerian economy does not encourage certain talents-e.g. art, creative talents, etc.

(1) (Reply)

Funaab Admission / The Cult Pursuit, A Story Of An OAU Student Who Falls Into The Hands Of Cultists / Unijos Remedial Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.