Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,714 members, 7,882,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 04:13 AM

You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs (16986 Views)

Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court / Court Reinstates Elected LG Chairmen In River State / 5 Reasons Why Wike Cannot Dissolve The Newly Elected LG Chairmen In Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by meforyou1(m): 6:22pm On Jul 12, 2014
ayobase: Which means that the governor can sack the ones that are not democratically elected.
they are all democratically elected, expect for sole administrators or caretaker chairmen

3 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by ayobase(m): 6:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
kossyablaze: ...Jus dis mornin I entered a bus goin to Ojota for N100,a girl who
sat beside me paid d conductor N100 normal bus fair upon gettin to
Ojota she dropped and asked d conductor 4 her change claiming
she paid N500,in d rush d conductor gave her N400 change,bt I
knew wat was happening I looked @ d girl wit surprise she jus
winked @ me and said "Are u a learner?" ....hahahahaha!..Eko oni
baje

u are indeed a learner if u didnt collect urs.
those conductors also are dubious

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
Very soon our LG will be autonomous. Then the governor will face what the make the President to face.

3 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by anytexy: 6:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
eph12: As if this country obeys court orders.
My brother, u de mind them? I dont have their time at all.
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 12, 2014
CharlesPhc: So it took 8 long years for a judgment as simply and straight forward as this to be delivered by the Supreme Court abi?
our legal system is fvcked

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by overhypedsteve(m): 6:28pm On Jul 12, 2014
Ok make i help una a bit, i jst saw the headline i never read the post, but from the headline as a law student i would like to cite some judicial authorities that gives credence to the SC ruling on this matter.

In Achu v. CSC. Cross river state(2009) 3 NWLR (pt 1129) 487, it was held that the provisions of an ordinary statute would not render nugatory the relevant provisions of the constitution. Therefore if any law of the state including a subsidiary legislation is inconsistent with the provision of the constitution, the provision of the constitution shall prevail and that other law to the extent of the inconsistency shall be void. Yepa, na me talk am

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by anonimi: 6:33pm On Jul 12, 2014
blizard44: Officials you meant.
Down here in Edo, few months ago, the comrade Governor wrested power from one Honourable Yakubu who won the local government election into Esan North East LGA of the state...
He won the election flawlessly bt Oshiomole in connivance with INEC annuled the result and posponed the election, all cos he is on the platform of PDP....
The day to which the election was postponned came and he floored APC again....bt oshiobaba struck and enthroned his loyalists via the caretaker commitee bla bla....
It's no news abeg.

I guess you mean the Edo State IEC, which is controlled by the state government i.e. Comrad I-go-Chop-too Oshiomole.
When some of us say that the state governors in the so-called progreThief opposition are WORSE than Jonathan's PDP at the federal level which oversees the INEC, some who cannot reason very deeply taking various issues into consideration will CLUELESSLY label us supporters of PDP.
However the facts speak for themselves.
How many elections -

- president
- 36 state governors
- 109 SINators
- 360 representaThieves
- 1,080 state assembly legisLOOTERS

conducted by the federal INEC have been won by the opposition parties

Comparatively how many LGA chairmen and councillors have been won by the opposition PDP in those states not controlled by PDP? shocked
Most of the state governors even avoid holding elections for as long as possible.
Hopefully this judgement will encourage others/our activists to sue and compel these governors to hold the LGA elections as and when due.

3 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by lakashey: 6:38pm On Jul 12, 2014
observing things
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by anonimi: 6:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
overhypedsteve: Ok make i help una a bit, i jst saw the headline i never read the post, but from the headline as a law student i would like to cite some judicial authorities that gives credence to the SC ruling on this matter.

In Achu v. CSC. Cross river state(2009) 3 NWLR (pt 1129) 487, it was held that the provisions of an ordinary statute would not render nugatory the relevant provisions of the constitution. Therefore if any law of the state including a subsidiary legislation is inconsistent with the provision of the constitution, the provision of the constitution shall prevail and that other law to the extent of the inconsistency shall be void. Yepa, na me talk am

Baby (student) lawyer, I dey hail oh cheesy
Abeg chop knuckle o jare

[img]http://outoftheblu.files./2009/01/obama-fist-bump1.jpg[/img]

Hopefully more of our people go shine dem eyes ask and PRESSURE our state governors to be more compliant with the provisions of our constitution so LGAs can deliver on their RESPONSIBILITIES to us.

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by codedguy1(m): 6:46pm On Jul 12, 2014
CharlesPhc: So it took 8 long years for a judgment as simply and straight forward as this to be delivered by the Supreme Court abi?

The country is a joke!

adconline:
Not really cos it had gone thru federal high court, Appeal court before Supreme Court.

If we are serious, a matter as crucial as this need not take this long. Haba.

Why are we having ekiti and osun state elections in separate years from the election year, what about Anambra, its because we take too much time to settle electoral differences. Soon we will be having elections for each state on every month and it would take 36 diff months for the 36 states.

We cannot have all elections in the same period again.

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by atlwireles: 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2014
I still support the confab delisting LGs from the constitution. They are nothing but a wasteland of political idleness.
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by SITS: 7:06pm On Jul 12, 2014
Great judgement. Hoping the relevant authorities will enforce it immediately. It's never too late to right a wrong if we must deepen our democracy.

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 12, 2014
Amaechi and Rochas should be made aware of this. They are the biggest culprits amongst all governors.

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by ibietela2(m): 7:26pm On Jul 12, 2014
oshyno: Soo the chairman of Obiakpor LG that Rotimi Amaechi removed wud hv to be reinstated. Amazing.

Governors have always usurped LG powers. The side effect to this is that governors might not even conduct LG elections sighting one reason or the other so as to keep holding on to the money accrueable to the LGs . Yet they cried blue murder when NOI created SWF and was deducting money from their allocation.

Bunch of hypocrites.

Almost all the local government chairmen have been removed infact some of them are now the Acting committee of the local government eg... Asari-toru
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by ibietela2(m): 7:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
J12: Amaechi and Rochas should be made aware of this. They are the biggest culprits amongst all governors.

I dont know of Rochas o but Amaechi own is worst, i dont know why people will come here and start abusing Jonathan when he tries to flex his muscles on him
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 12, 2014
ibietela2:

I dont know of Rochas o but Amaechi own is worst, i dont know why people will come here and start abusing Jonathan when he tries to flex his muscles on him

In 2012 Rochas sacked every local government chairman in Imo state before they were reinstated by the appeal court. If Rochs and Amaechi had their way there would be no local government chairmen in their respective states.
People are accusing GEJ of being vindictive towards Amaechi but they don't know that Amaechi is a hardened crook. Amaechi will be more vindictive than Abacha and OBJ combined if he was the president.
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by poiZon: 7:43pm On Jul 12, 2014

it shows JONATHAN is working. soon d judiciary will be independent n our thieving gov'rs will now face their work properly n leave the lg areas to dispense their work judiciously withour fear or favour
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by crusader01(m): 7:53pm On Jul 12, 2014
It is not a news to me. In Federal system like ours,governor has no power to sack elected Local govt Chairman. It is common sense to know that but in nigeria things are done up-side-down.

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by dking123: 7:54pm On Jul 12, 2014
And after d people involved have long
forgoten about it.
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by sapientia(m): 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
though it is long overdue.. its still a good thing.. but like.. how could this even have to go to court..

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by fairchuks: 8:58pm On Jul 12, 2014
rochas is the worst...when it comes to rule of law... although the 27local govt chairmen won him in both high and appeal court ...he still did not let them go back... mistake called rochas...

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by Mogidi: 9:02pm On Jul 12, 2014
Down here in Edo, few months ago, the comrade Governor wrested power from one Honourable Yakubu who won the local government election into Esan North East LGA of the state...
He won the election flawlessly bt Oshiomole in connivance with IEC annuled the result and posponed the election, all cos he is on the platform of PDP....
The day to which the election was postponned came and he floored APC again....bt oshiobaba struck and enthroned his loyalists via caretaker commitee!
It's no news abeg.

God bless you a million times, this is the reason why APC died in our neck of the woods.

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by anonimi: 9:06pm On Jul 12, 2014
codedguy1:

The country is a joke!

If we are serious, a matter as crucial as this need not take this long. Haba.

Why are we having ekiti and osun state elections in separate years from the election year, what about Anambra, its because we take too much time to settle electoral differences. Soon we will be having elections for each state on every month and it would take 36 diff months for the 36 states.

We cannot have all elections in the same period again.

I am very happy you said WE.
Let our lawmakers pass a law to plug this loophole in our electrol process. That can only happen if WE put PRESSURE on them to do so.

3 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by anonimi: 9:09pm On Jul 12, 2014
dking123:
And after d people involved have long forgoten about it.

If they have forgotten about it as you said, WHY will they still push it through the Appeal court and then the Supreme court engaging & paying lawyers to plead their cause

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by hushmail: 9:12pm On Jul 12, 2014
Omooba77: No one can appeal this one it is land mark.....

Oga Supreme court be like God judgement; No appeal!!
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by G12(m): 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 12, 2014
He won the election flawlessly bt Oshiomole in connivance with IEC annuled the result and posponed the election, all cos he is on the platform of PDP....
The day to which the election was postponned came and he floored APC again....bt oshiobaba struck and enthroned his loyalists via caretaker commitee!
It's no news abeg.
God bless u for this post,u have said it all,I greet u from uromi,edo state

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by Giannakopoulos(f): 10:25pm On Jul 12, 2014
I wonder if President was sacking Governors the way the latter do to LG chairmen,what would have become of them, + Governors are looking for state police so they can use to rig elections,may God forgive them,greedy people
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by kinharold(m): 10:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
CharlesPhc: So it took 8 long years for a judgment as simple and straight forward as this to be delivered by the Supreme Court abi?

Like seriously, I dont understand this Judiciary as the third arm of Government. Why must they always seat back and watch while illegality and unconstitutionally is going on. Must they wait for someone to cry to them first. Even when someone does, it takes ages for them to get things done right. Some ex-Governor's of 1999-2003 Era cases are still not being fully heard in court, from one injunction to another.

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by sledok: 10:54pm On Jul 12, 2014
Some Governors are mad. If u like this pls tick "like"
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by ibietela2(m): 11:11pm On Jul 12, 2014
J12:

In 2012 Rochas sacked every local government chairman in Imo state before they were reinstated by the appeal court. If Rochs and Amaechi had their way there would be no local government chairmen in their respective states.
People are accusing GEJ of being vindictive towards Amaechi but they don't know that Amaechi is a hardened crook. Amaechi will be more vindictive than Abacha and OBJ combined if he was the president.

Chai, na wa o.
Re: You’ve No Power To Sack Elected LG Officials, S’court Tells Govs by mykemiley(f): 11:21pm On Jul 12, 2014
Oya Rivers state make una run fast fast go court cos una own neva tey,e stil dey fresh 4 boko ameachi.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lumsambani Dilli And Wife Welcome Triplets After 24 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / John Dyegh Declares ‎Speakership Bid / Ramadan: I’m Not Behind Distribution Of Rice In North, Says Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.