Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,654 members, 7,944,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 09:32 AM

How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate (30308 Views)

Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident / How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read / Work Experience Or Further Study. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by anonimi: 3:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
JimloveTM:
2. Consider Volunteer Jobs: Once you have identified a sector that you may like to work in, you may consider taking up a volunteer job at a smaller or average firm in that sector immediately you graduate from school. Don't worry about the pay here. Your aim should be to build your job experience and your social profile. By the time you have gone to the youth service program (NYSC) and back, you should have gotten nothing less than a 2 year experience.

3. Don't forget prior experience: Now when applying for jobs seeking 3 years experience or more, do not forget to add prior experiences no matter how small they may have been. You were in the team that organized a mega program while in school, add it, you have worked in a restaurant to support your education, add it, you were in a position of leadership in a campus or student group in school, add it up. They will form more than a 3 years experience.

Source: http://www.thinkysolutions.com/2014/07/how-to-build-3-years-job-experience-in.html

Many thanks for the PRACTICAL tips especially 2 & 3.
Many of us need to adopt these and get our acts together.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by brainzdh(m): 3:34pm On Jul 14, 2014
9jaSceptic: How and where can one get the opportunity to volunteer for Jobs in NIGERIA ?

Visit this site:

http://volunteerinnigeria./
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by brainzdh(m): 3:35pm On Jul 14, 2014
MissJennifer:

Exactly what i was about to ask. Everybody keeps suggesting it. Yet to find one

Visit this site:

1 Like

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Oxone(m): 3:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: No matter wot rubbish u wrote there, u can't have an experience of 3 years in 1 year. That's how u write rubbish and think u're making sense.

So, if I'm working 8am to 4pm everyday, I still shld roll to a voluntary work jes to garner experience?
Why dnt u tell me to work 24hrs.

Time is time, experience is experience. No matter how hard u tried, u'll either say,
"I have 3 yrs experience as a marketer"
OR
"I have a year's experience as a marketer".

U can't be comparing urself with a hardworking man who works round the clock for3 yrs with u who had jst completed a year and u think u have a panacea to yrs of experience.
He had made mistakes u never made, he had learned the hard way, he had gotten himself sacked from a particular area, and had himself deployed to department he never thought of....

Dude, stop that rubbish....

You can only leatn some more, u can't steal the experience. You have to go right through it!

Easy does it man, try to understand the post before jumping down the OP's throat.

I think what the OP is trying to say is you can actually use the frequency of experience instead of duration and this applies mostly in technical field.

Let me break it down further

A doctor who performs 150 surgeries in one year is more experienced than one who performs 50 surgeries in 3years no matter how you look at it cos expertise comes with frequency and not with duration as most people erroneously believe. This is the same reason why employers would appreciate someone who worked in a multinational for 2 years over another who worked in a small company for 4yrs even though they've probably had the same job role. The difference here would be volume (Larger scope and a greater chance of having see it all). Of course under the same conditions experience would be determine by time but conditions are never the same.

This could actually be used to your advantage as employers are more interested in proficiency and not how long you've been in the field. Ive seen people use this to their advantage severally by pointing it out in their CVs & Cover letter

An expert, more generally, is a person with extensive knowledge or ability based on research, experience, or occupation and in a particular area of study

Notice how time is conspicuously missing in that definition

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by decode55(m): 3:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
anonimi:

I won't say funny.......I would rather say ATTRACTIVE in a COMPELLING way, which is not a bad thing. Or is it

Nope
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
JimloveTM: Experience is intanible. it is not a certification program. If you work with a company like MTN tomorrow, no one will give you a certificate when you leave
is anyone even given a certificate when they leave a firm.

Good write up.
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 14, 2014
all of you are missing the point... how will the scarcity of jobs be addressed? I know everybody likes competition. there are only a hand full of jobs/positions out there.
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by anonimi: 4:07pm On Jul 14, 2014
brainzdh:

Visit this site:

Thanks for the link to your site.
Given that most of us - employers and POTENTIAL interns/employees - are not used to this volunteering thing in our country, it may be useful to PROPOSE and OFFER to work for the company/organisation for free with agreed time frame and specific things to be done/achieved.
That is called creativity and over time we will get used to it and break the barrier of inexperience.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Barywhyte(m): 4:12pm On Jul 14, 2014
decode55: am I the only one that finds the title of this thread very funny? cheesy cheesy

No you aren't the only one. To me this OP sounds more like a fresh graduate
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:13pm On Jul 14, 2014
JimloveTM: It is very frustrating nowadays in Nigeria applying for jobs. The issue has gone beyond the availability of jobs to having the necessary JOB EXPERIENCE and work qualification before you are even considered for an aptitude test. Just this year alone, I have seen more than 30 high profile vacancy advert with work experience requirement of at least 2 or 3 years. What does this mean for the young graduate with little or no work experience? In this article, I will attempt to show you how you can land a job of your choice by building a 3 years job experience in one year.

The next time you see a job requiring 3 or more years of work experience, and you are a fresh graduate, do not let it pass, Apply.
Here is how the Magic works:

1. Use Mathematics Law in your favour: In mathematics, the concept of frequency and time are related, and you can buy time by an increase in frequency. Let me break this down. The number of times you do a particular task (frequency) is the same as the duration of time you have done that task. So if company is advertising for a job that requires 3 years job experience in lets say Software design, a person who have done this just 10 times in 3 years can boldly apply. On the other hand you may have done this 30 times in a year. Your job experience is worth more than that of the other man. Using the concept of frequency and time, you are more qualified, and it is worth 3 years too.

2. Consider Volunteer Jobs: Once you have identified a sector that you may like to work in, you may consider taking up a volunteer job at a smaller or average firm in that sector immediately you graduate from school. Don't worry about the pay here. Your aim should be to build your job experience and your social profile. By the time you have gone to the youth service program (NYSC) and back, you should have gotten nothing less than a 2 year experience.

3. Don't forget prior experience: Now when applying for jobs seeking 3 years experience or more, do not forget to add prior experiences no matter how small they may have been. You were in the team that organized a mega program while in school, add it, you have worked in a restaurant to support your education, add it, you were in a position of leadership in a campus or student group in school, add it up. They will form more than a 3 years experience.

Source: http://www.thinkysolutions.com/2014/07/how-to-build-3-years-job-experience-in.html
Nice thread

1 Like

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Sabadon(m): 4:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by anonimi: 4:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
Aggrippa: all of you are missing the point... how will the scarcity of jobs be addressed? I know everybody likes competition. there are only a hand full of jobs/positions out there.

It will be addressed when we take MORE interest in how we are governed, particularly at the state and LGA levels focusing our attention not on the physical infrastructures- roads, bridges, monuments etc- being built but rather on schools & health facilities being available with PROFESSIONALLY qualified teachers, doctors, nurses, pharmacists, lab technicians etc rather than youth CORPERS being recycled every year to do these jobs shocked shocked

Can you imagine how many people will be employed for maintenance of facilities/infrastructures, for example, simply clearing roads, gutters, bushes etc with supervisors, managers and directors for those activities at each LGA level for the roads under the responsibility of the LGAs and same arrangement for those under the responsibility of states and FG

The cleaner environment will in turn encourage more investments and productivity by the private sector entrepreneurs.

Now we know those who are MAINLY responsible for large scale unemployment in our country.

3 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 14, 2014
This is one hell of an idea. The frequency of doing a job is better than the time you do a job. Frequency creates mastery. So the first point is tenable. Students who do holiday jobs in companies should add those jobs as experience because you never can tell when you will need the experience in your destination company. Corpers shd know this, don't stay in that primary school for a year and write "science instructor" as working experience. Find some jobs to do there and add them as experience. We have to find a creative way of beating the labour market. Nice one op!

4 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 14, 2014
Even the ones that says no experience, will ask you to prove with adequate examples. Just pray someone refers you to the organisation if not no volunteer opportunity for you.
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 14, 2014
You really expect someone to work for two years without pay? How's he going to take care of himself? his family? his transportation? House rent ? Etc Smh...

Volunteer work is good but doesn't really go down well with no sponsor
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by anonimi: 4:47pm On Jul 14, 2014
MarvellousGod: You really expect someone to work for two years without pay? How's he going to take care of himself? his family? his transportation? House rent ? Etc Smh...

What stops her from volunteering while in school, at church/mosque/shrine
Why should she have a family fresh from school without a job

1 Like

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by anonimi: 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2014
chidyhels: Even the ones that says no experience, will ask you to prove with adequate examples. Just pray someone refers you to the organisation if not no volunteer opportunity for you.

I trust my prayer warrior folks grin cheesy
Indeed "just pray" and God will send someone right away to even take you in her hands to the organisation where you will volunteer.
Obviously in YOUR world ALL the people who have volunteered for church/mosque/shrine programmes, school activities, NGO events, companies and organisations had "someone refer" them to the place shocked

SMH!
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by JimloveTM(m): 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
anonimi:

Many thanks for the PRACTICAL tips especially 2 & 3.
Many of us need to adopt these and get our acts together.

thank u for reading

1 Like

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Oxone(m): 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
MarvellousGod: You really expect someone to work for two years without pay? How's he going to take care of himself? his family? his transportation? House rent ? Etc Smh...

Well if people can stay a full year at home job hunting, i don't see anything wrong with keeping busy while doing that. I'd rather you find a volunteer job around you while job hunting than sit at home waiting for that dream job cos 6 months down the line, you'll have had 6 months experience and an advantage over your peers and those who are already in the job market.

I personally know someone who volunteered (Infact begged) to work for free in a big IT Firm.During that time, he was going for test and interviews while giving everything he had to the job. He resumed and closed with them and even worked overtime as well all on no pay. He became very proficient and the company started relying on him more and more. 6 months down the line, he was offered a job with a salary of 250k/month.

His mates were stuck at home with no job, no experience ofcourse complains about the job market.

6 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by JimloveTM(m): 4:56pm On Jul 14, 2014
chinziaski: This is one hell of an idea. The frequency of doing a job is better than the time you do a job. Frequency creates mastery. So the first point is tenable. Students who do holiday jobs in companies should add those jobs as experience because you never can tell when you will need the experience in your destination company. Corpers shd know this, don't stay in that primary school for a year and write "science instructor" as working experience. Find some jobs to do there and add them as experience. We have to find a creative way of beating the labour market. Nice one op!

thank u. love your contributions
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by JimloveTM(m): 4:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Oxone:

Easy does it man, try to understand the post before jumping down the OP's throat.

I think what the OP is trying to say is you can actually use the frequency of experience instead of duration and this applies mostly in technical field.

A doctor who performs 150 surgeries in one year is more experienced than one who performs 50 surgeries in 3years no matter how you look at it cos expertise comes with frequency and not with duration as most people erroneously believe. This is the same reason why employers would appreciate someone who worked in a multinational for 2 years over another who worked in a small company for 4yrs even though they've probably had the same job role. The difference here would be volume (Larger scope and a greater chance of having see it all). Of course under the same conditions experience would be determine by time but conditions are never the same.

This could actually be used to your advantage as employers are more interested in proficiency and not how long you've been in the field. Ive seen people use this to their advantage severally by pointing it out in their CVs & Cover letter

An expert, more generally, is a person with extensive knowledge or ability based on research, experience, or occupation and in a particular area of study

Your doctor's illustration nailed my first point.. thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 14, 2014
anonimi:

What stops her from volunteering while in school
Why should she have a family fresh from school without a job
While in school? Really? What kind of jobs are at students' disposal if not typing and the likes...again, working while schooling may deter your chances of making a good result and it's gonna be a huge disadvantage as most jobs require a 2-1 and above....Don't mention holiday period to me because you can't tell a company you want to be with them for just a month or thereabout.

So?? Doing a volunteer work in school doesn't counter any of the points I made above as she would still be transporting and doing all of the above hence needs a sponsor....

Volunteer works are more tenable in developed countries or maybe for someone that has Oga at the top here...

3 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by anonimi: 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
Oxone:

Well if people can stay a full year job hunting, i don't see anything wrong with keeping busy while doing that. I'd rather you find a volunteer job around you while job hunting that sit at home waiting for that dream job cos 6 months down the line, you'll have had 6 months experience and an advantage over your peers and those who are already in the job market.

I personally know someone who volunteered (Infact begged) to work for free in a big IT Firm.During that time, he was going for test and interviews while giving everything he had to the job. He resumed and closed with them and even worked overtime as well all on no pay. He became very proficient and the company started relying on him more and more. 6 months down the line, he was offered a job with a salary of 250k/month.

His mates were stuck at home with no job, no experience ofcourse complains about the job market.

Meanwhile someone wants us to "just pray someone refers" us to the organisation.
I doubt that if the guy was referred after SIMPLY praying he would also need to beg, abi ke

3 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Oxone(m): 5:04pm On Jul 14, 2014
Aggrippa: all of you are missing the point... how will the scarcity of jobs be addressed? I know everybody likes competition. there are only a hand full of jobs/positions out there.

You're the one who's missing the point here.

Since there are "scarcity of jobs" as you graciously pointed out, shouldn't you do everything in your power to become the best at what you do?
By garnering more experience and increasing your proficiency in your chosen field (whether paid or unpaid) so as to separate yourself from the lot.

Its funny how people moan about the scarcity of jobs while others (In the same cadre i might add) have the luxury of choosing from several offers. Its not magic/Jazz but common sense.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by anonimi: 5:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
MarvellousGod: While in school? Really? What kind of jobs are at students' disposal if not typing and the likes...again, working while schooling may deter your chances of making a good result and it's gonna be a huge disadvantage as most jobs require a 2-1 and above....Don't mention holiday period to me because you can't tell a company you want to be with them for just a month or thereabout.

So?? Doing a volunteer work in school doesn't counter any of the points I made above as she would still be transporting and doing all of the above hence needs a sponsor....

Volunteer works are more tenable in developed countries or maybe for someone that has Oga at the top here...

It seems you misssed this earlier post from someone else here so I will re-post for your reading pleasure and learning exposure:

Bubewilson: You are totaly right. While i was waiting 4 nysc, i applied for jobs and stated the various positions i held in student organisations as my work experience and it did add balance to my cv as my interviewees where pleased to know that.

The chorus on this old song from Rod Stewart includes the line:

Some guys do nothing but complain shocked angry

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EliPCxEMv-k][/url]

Keep complaining while those who understand that luck = preparation + opportunity keep breaking down barriers.
You are On Your Own (OYO)

2 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
Oxone:

Well if people can stay a full year job hunting, i don't see anything wrong with keeping busy while doing that. I'd rather you find a volunteer job around you while job hunting that sit at home waiting for that dream job cos 6 months down the line, you'll have had 6 months experience and an advantage over your peers and those who are already in the job market.

I'm not saying volunteer work isn't good, only trying to say not everyone has that luxury...ofcourse volunteer work is good if you have a good organisation willing to take you, someone to house you(not everyone lives in the city, some may have to migrate), then give you some cash for transport..Your friend had all these settled, so your example doesn't relate to what I said.

Btw, did your friend get that offer without anyone's influence?

1 Like

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
Oxone:

you did justice to this!! Well said!!!
Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by anonimi: 5:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
MarvellousGod: I'm not saying volunteer work isn't good, only trying to say not everyone has that luxury...ofcourse volunteer work is good[b] if you have a good organisation willing to take you[/b], someone to house you(not everyone lives in the city, some may have to migrate), then give you some cash for transport..Your friend had all these settled, so your example doesn't relate to what I said.

Btw, did your friend get that offer without anyone's influence?

I just noticed your handle/moniker- MarvellousGod- hence it is safe to assume that you are a strong member of some religious outfit, which could be a church, mosque or shrine.
Don't you think the religious outfit is "a good organisation"

1 Like

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by Oxone(m): 5:17pm On Jul 14, 2014
anonimi:

Meanwhile someone wants us to "just pray someone refers" us to the organisation.
I doubt that if the guy was referred after SIMPLY praying he would also need to beg, abi ke

The truth is Nigerian Youths are lazy!

They want that dream job without bringing anything to the table except a degree which you can easily buy. Ive seen plenty who would rather remain at home jobless than start off with peanuts. Most have this sense of entitlement and don't even know what they want. it beats me how they want companies to employ them and pay them good money without offering anything in return. Hell a lot cant even defend the so called degrees and yet they have a lot of demands as entry level staff cheesy

A lot of company are not willing to invest heavily in staff training except at the mid/upper level cos it cost money and time. They would rather employ someone with a little experience and start making money off him from day 1. i don't believe there are no jobs cos people get employed every day. The question is what are they doing differently?

6 Likes

Re: How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate by londoner: 5:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
@NigeriaTraining,

Is your organisation a NEBOSH registered course provider?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / A Kogi State Civil Servant Resigned Due To Non Payment Of Salary / Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Strike In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.