Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,490 members, 7,878,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 02 July 2024 at 03:20 PM

FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff (20804 Views)

Buhari Reopens $182m Bribery Case-tribune / Terror Suspects Arrested At Maiduguri Airport / FG Reopens 3rd Mainland Bridge Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by fkaz(m): 5:25am On Jul 15, 2014
The Federal Government yesterday reopened the Maiduguri International Airport which was closed on June 27, for former governor Ali Modu Sheriff of Borno State to land in Maiduguri in his personal aircraft.

Sheriff said he was dumping the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
but that he would make a formal declaration after the month of Ramadan and has nothing to do with the APC.

The airport was abruptly closed when 276 pilgrims had been screened by relevant agencies at the departure terminal and were awaiting a Max Air chartered aircraft to convey them to Saudi Arabia for the lesser hajj.

As a result of the closure, the pilgrims had to travel to Kano by road, even as on the same day, a chartered flight that brought wife of the Borno State governor, Hajiya Nana Shettima, was forced to take off to Abuja empty even though Senator Ali Ndume was waiting to board it.

Top military authorities announced that the airport was closed for security reasons. It was however reopened yesterday and Sheriff’s private jet with registration number 5NBMH landed at about 1:32 PM. He was accompanied by three members of the House of Representatives, Abdurrahman Terab, Isa Kangar and Peter Biye. Kangar had in an interview published last week in some newspapers said Sheriff had made up his mind to defect to the PDP.

Others in the entourage included two time gubernatorial candidate of the PDP, Alhaji Kashim Imam and the former state chairman of the defunct All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) Alhaji Mohammed Imam.

Dozens of soldiers led by the Garrison commander of the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri, Colonel D.R. Hassan, gave cover to the former governor, whose motorcade drove through the Airport road, Bulumkutu, Damboa road and arrived at his private residence along Barracks road.

Our correspondents report that the plane that brought the former governor took off from the airport at 2:22pm and credible sources said it would return today (Tuesday) to take Sheriff back to Abuja after which the airport would be closed until September 29.

Hundreds of PDP officials and supporters as well as members of the APC that are in his camp in Borno State converged at the airport to receive him.

A campaign office belonging to Sheriff was also painted in white while it is expected to wear PDP colours in coming days.
Sheriff, who spoke to journalists in his house, described the APC as a dead party which had lost direction.

He is the third former governor to decamp from the party after the merger of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) and the ANPP.

“My visit to Maiduguri is a private one but as you can see, it has been hijacked by my teaming supporters who mobilised the crowd that welcomed me. The real game will be after Ramadan because even though there is nothing to hide. We are still consulting with the national officers of the PDP on how to go about it, because the pull-out is going to be big, and we hope to organise it after fasting. Presently, as you can see, majority of our people are fasting and praying for peace to return to our dear state. But after the Ramadan we will come back and pull our people out of the APC”.

Sheriff, a founding member of the APC, started having trouble after the national convention of the party in Abuja which allegedly sidelined him.

On his rumoured cold war with Shettima, he said, “I have no grudge against the governor, rather I am coming to only pull out my supporters from the party that would not help them in any way”.

Meanwhile, Governor Shettima left Maiduguri by road yesterday to attend to his younger brother who had multiple fractures after an accident. Shettima was confined to Maiduguri since the closure of the airport as well as withdrawal of soldiers from both the Government House and his convoy. Isa Umar Gusau, the Special Adviser to Shettima on communications confirmed the development.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/top-stories/29184-fg-reopens-maiduguri-airport-for-sheriff

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by aminho(m): 5:30am On Jul 15, 2014
Uncle sherrif is back the lion of the desert the same political icon of our time meanwhile my first front page since nairaland terrorist attack happens to be about uncle sherrif maiduguri for life

3 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by adezjamz(m): 6:06am On Jul 15, 2014
adezjamz: oga Jonathan, i am defecting to PDP from ACN bt i want Tinubu to back-iron my cloth.
Jonathan: aaaproved. #2015AtAllCost

clueless government

22 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by justi4jesu(f): 6:06am On Jul 15, 2014
hmmm personal aircraft.

20 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by Rapsainot(m): 6:08am On Jul 15, 2014
APC ON BRINK..... SEE AS HE FAT HEY

3 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by superior1: 6:09am On Jul 15, 2014
[size=13pt]Not even Abacha was this desperate to retain power.[/size]

81 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by LMAyedun(m): 6:09am On Jul 15, 2014
The power tussle, humiliation, intimidation for 2015 elections has started.
2015: Survival of the fittest

Impunity at its peak.

15 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by 1stola: 6:10am On Jul 15, 2014
superior1: ok
Rapsainot: .
justi4jesu: hm.
adezjamz: .
aminho: B
what is the meaning of all this nonsense?

8 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by Nobody: 6:10am On Jul 15, 2014
The Grand commander of the Federal republic and the C in C is using is power as his "lordship" pleases. Why can't Ali Modu land in a nearby state and drive to Maiduguri.

38 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by equlibrium(m): 6:10am On Jul 15, 2014
The madness in this country is alarming

34 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by aryzgreat: 6:11am On Jul 15, 2014
Trash written by supporter of APC sympathiser!

Sai Gwudluck twenty pipteen! 2015

45 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by mystiqueDZ(f): 6:11am On Jul 15, 2014
Who cares! undecided
Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by 1stola: 6:11am On Jul 15, 2014
Useless people.
Keep on killing yourselves
PDP.

34 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by maingwaest(f): 6:13am On Jul 15, 2014
Naija........... absolute power corrupt absolutely.

2 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by imustsaymymindo: 6:13am On Jul 15, 2014
PDP should show some ego and not accept this man. Greedy politician, always want it to go its way.

1 Like

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by Nobody: 6:13am On Jul 15, 2014
These dudes don't deserve any security agents, they should walk like the ordinary men. They embezzle and spend security votes allocated to their states thereby making life unbearable for its citizens. The little security we have they share amongst themselves. Imagine "Dozens of soldiers led by garrison commander", it wouldn't be needed if they had utilized the security votes wisely.

I pray for peace in the north, I pray for love between Muslims and Christians, I pray for love between Yorubas and Igbos.

Long live Nigeria.

47 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by ojuafact: 6:15am On Jul 15, 2014
nice move
Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by LMAyedun(m): 6:15am On Jul 15, 2014
1stola: ..
Space booking tactics. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by DWJOBScom(m): 6:15am On Jul 15, 2014
They all wanted a "SPACE" but it comes with a tall price.........bow to the Chief of APC or stay silent
Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by Daniel058(m): 6:16am On Jul 15, 2014
HOW MANY GBOZAS for FG? grin

2 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by Lakayanah: 6:16am On Jul 15, 2014
Our politicians are shameless. We do not have political parties yet in this country . What we have are criminals of the occult world misbehaving.

16 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by ifeelgood: 6:16am On Jul 15, 2014
I'm beginning to be affraid that GEJ may become another Abacha, Gadaffi, Taylor and Mugabe put together. GEJ has backslided!!!

17 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by ehvez(m): 6:17am On Jul 15, 2014
aryzgreat: Trash written by supporter of APC sympathiser!

Sai Gwudluck twenty pipteen! 2015
Pls wake up check daily trust you. Would see it there just because you support GEJ you are being biased in your judgment I think your thinking is clouded by your love for GEJ

17 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by oyatmicah(m): 6:17am On Jul 15, 2014
LMAyedun: Space booking tactics.
nonsense of the highest order

2 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 15, 2014
Una Goodmorning!

1 Like

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by ashson: 6:18am On Jul 15, 2014
its good that you have shown your colour now. Bad Choice...

1 Like

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by zakson4real(m): 6:19am On Jul 15, 2014
Walahi sherif wil give account for his action about Boko Haram.because we all kno he is d man bhind all dis problem in North. May Allah give u wat he dserve.

8 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by YoursGEJ(m): 6:19am On Jul 15, 2014
This one na just temporary switching. Sherrif can now import some weapons with his plane for BH. Soon after he restocks their supply, he will decamp back to APC. Foolish GEJ doesn't see it because its all about 2015 for him and nothing else. He doesn't care about this country or its people who are suffering but his political ambition.

4 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by Sijo01(f): 6:20am On Jul 15, 2014
If you cannot beat them you join them.
Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by Ela59: 6:21am On Jul 15, 2014
Directly or indirectly Nigeria is practising one party system. Buhari,Yerima, and Rotimi the umbrella is spacious and capacious for you guys. Nigeria where your is dream? The port that was closed for those that are going for prayer was open just bacause ali modu sheriff decamp to ruling party. There is God oOOo.

10 Likes

Re: FG Reopens Maiduguri Airport For Sheriff by adezjamz(m): 6:21am On Jul 15, 2014
1stola: ..
in what way have you contributed either?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor El-rufai Reacts To Pupils' Protest Over Sacked Unqualified Teachers / 2017 Akwa Ibom State Christmas Carol Photos / Your Time To Run For President Has Not Come Yet – Osinbajo Tells Nigerian Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.