Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,156 members, 7,880,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 10:56 PM

Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. (22776 Views)

Bill Gates' Wife Melinda Washes Plates, Carries Water On Head In Malawi (Photos) / SCREENSHOT. Rev Reinhard Bonnkie Speaks On Homosexuality. / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 17, 2014
CyrusLevi: trash,how do gay people harm you?
Yea trash!!!!! and u will soon be thrown into trash. gay bullshit
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by butterflyy(f): 9:21am On Jul 17, 2014
rightym: I agree, de more we talk abt it de more it get popular. but kn DAT de more we save innocent people from being deceived by these demented gay advocate. its practically evil.
Evil? Evil to who? N who is d so called Innocent you re protecting?
If u av nothing good to write, dnt quote me again. We all av liberal mind and we are free to accept whatever we like. Let d gays be. I know its hard for you to understand, but these guys meant no harm, n they are loving to n cool to be with.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by ablyguy(m): 9:22am On Jul 17, 2014
VantagePoint:
Say what you will, African nations consider homosexuality abhorrent and unnatural. Just as Western nations cannot condone infringing on "international human rights", we also don't condone gay relationships; it is un-African!
One might as well de-criminalize inces.t, substance abuse since it occurs between consenting, non-threatening adults.

Posting on Nairaland is un-African, bro...

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by ibdeals1(m): 9:25am On Jul 17, 2014
ic
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by CyrusLevi(m): 9:26am On Jul 17, 2014
donnypool:

have you being gay before?, and study shows they (GAYS) are highly vulnerable to HIV and other S.T.I , so that is harmless to the society
You are crazy for trying to equate the HIV vulnerability in homosexuals to justify your bigotry,as if str8's don't have HIV or its the gays that is passing it on.

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF:
I think it will be sanely if you would give us a prove of all the soliloquies; all I was able to deduce from your soliloquies is that homosexualism has been with us before colonisation. Give us prove

The proof you requested:

"Invoking the authority of the Catholic church to protect traditional African culture, is one of the many strange twists in the history of how European exported systems of belief and governance became rooted in the continent. When asked about homosexuality, a Ghanaian born editor of an African affairs publication was quick to blame the existence of that kind of behavior on missionaries and its prevalence in missionary run schools. Such perception, very widespread throughout Africa, is directly related to the mixed message colonialism brought; missionaries who came to save souls alongside of armies that came to steal the land and everything on it.

The very denying of indigenous homosexuality among African cultures plays into the hands of racism. Historian Wayne Dynes, in the introduction to a list of 84 references to homosexuality in Africa, notes that "Europeans have often held that 'sodomy' is a vice of advanced, even decadent civilizations. The Africans, being innocent 'children of nature' must be protected from such corruption."

From the 16th century onwards, homosexuality has been recorded in Africa by European missionaries, adventurers and officials who used it to reinforce ideas of African societies in need of Christian cleansing.

The Portuguese were among the first Europeans to explore the continent. They noted the range of gender relations in African societies and referred to the "unnatural damnation" of male-to-male sex in Congo.

Andrew Battell, an English traveller in the 1590s, wrote this of the Imbangala of Angola: "They are beastly in their living, for they have men in women's apparel, whom they keep among their wives."

Transvestism occurred in many different places, including Madagascar and Ethiopia.

Among the Pangwe people of present-day Cameroon and Gabon, homosexual intercourse was practised between males of all ages. It was believed to be a way to transmit wealth.

The Nzima of Ghana had a tradition of adult men marrying each other, usually with an age difference of about 10 years.

Similar to the pederasty of ancient Greece, Sudan's Zande tribe had a tradition of warriors marrying boys and paying a bride price, as they would for girl brides, to their parents. When the boy grew up, he too became a warrior and took a boy-wife. In this same tribe lesbianism was practised in polygamous households.

In the 18th century the Khoikhoi of South Africa used the word koetsire to describe men considered sexually receptive to other men, and soregus was the word they used for a friendship which involved same-sex masturbation.

Homosexuality is also recorded among the Siwa of Egypt.

It was considered a boy's rite of passage in Benin, and woman-woman marriages involving a bride price existed in more than 30 African societies from Nigeria to Kenya to South Africa.

How far back can homosexuality be traced in Africa? You cannot argue with rock paintings. Thousands of years ago, the San people of Zimbabwe depicted ańal sex between men. The truth is that, like everywhere else, African people have expressed a wide range of sexualities.

Far from bringing homosexuality with them, Christian and Islamic forces fought to eradicate it. By challenging the continent's indigenous social and religious systems, they helped demonise and persecute homosexuality in Africa, paving the way for the taboos that prevail today."

Don't worry, I have about 32 more scholarly articles. And I've barely begun searching. This is just part of the first one. Did I mention I used to be an African Studies and Anthropology research assistant?

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by butterflyy(f): 9:29am On Jul 17, 2014
donnypool:
Likewise people deserve to be who they want.
yerima deserve to rape underage kids because that's his religion so it is legal.
Boko-haram deserve amnesty because they are fighting for something
Niger delta militant deserve the amnesty because they raise arms against the government
Student deserve to pass all their courses because they pay their fees
A man deserve to marry more than one wives because its harmless to the society.
the list is just go on and on and on and on...
The moment we start granting rights to harmless practices in the society, then we know we are going to hell
How dare u compare gay rights to these evils. Has anyone's sexuality make u lose a loved one b4? If not, STFU

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 17, 2014
donnypool:

mama gay right activist

14 years ain't no magic, its real. and yes bible don't support gay. GOD hates dirty

Are you sureee it's not magic? God hates wizards, you know. And 14 years sounds like a wizard incantation to me. Whomp whomp.

P.S. is the title "Mama Gay Rights Activist" supposed to offend me? Because that's exactly what I am. I will always uphold the rights of persecuted people that do not harm others.

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF:

It is silly for a man to assume that he will be helped by another man just because he decides to dance nake just because the other man likes nake pictures.

How about his self worth afterward?

[/quote]

Malawi do have a culture like every other African countries which had been in place from time immemorial, but for one Banda to, for a pot of porridge,

[/quote]

decide to desecrate such culture corrupting it with another country's show that she is a coward, uncreative and unfit to lead Malawi; development should not be hinged on mendicancy.

[/quote]

" It is known that homosexualism is never of Africa, it was imported.

[/quote]

So if we enact laws to prevent it from corrupting our culture and ways of life, I see nothing bad in that. But for outsiders (The West) to threaten a sovereign nation to import an alien culture of theirs into its, Mister, such should be resisted vehemently.

[/quote]
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 17, 2014
CyrusLevi: You are crazy for trying to equate the HIV vulnerability in homosexuals to justify your bigotry,as if str8's don't have HIV or its the gays that is passing it on.

You are the type of guy that will get offended if approached by a gay person, and still defend gays. Even in the United states, not every states is practicing homosexuality. y'all going to hell straight up
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by gratieao: 9:33am On Jul 17, 2014
No need to arrest gays anywhere in the world. What for? We have criminals threatening public security; we have white collar criminals looting government coffers and we don’t to waste police time and prison space on gays. What they do is none of our business. If there’s anything that
needs to be banned in
World then it’s religious
organizations (churches,
mosques). This is where
our people get brainwashed and where
hypocrisy and
homophobia reigns. This
is where extortion of poor
people’s money takes
place and this is where
docility is bred. This is
where scientific
innovation is stifled as
people are taught to
believe that their
problems can be solved
through superstition.
Every sin is a sin and have equal punishment in sight of God

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Norajones(f): 9:35am On Jul 17, 2014
Must d blacks always bow to d whites??gradually its happening
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by ablyguy(m): 9:35am On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF:

I will respond to your post from the rear.
First, do you for real think with this decision, the West will 'flock' to Malawi and ignite any meanful development? Sir I do not think so. It is silly for a man to assume that he will be helped by another man just because he decides to dance nake just because the other man likes nake pictures. How about his self worth afterward? Malawi do have a culture like every other African countries which had been in place from time immemorial, but for one Banda to, for a pot of porridge, decide to desecrate such culture corrupting it with another country's show that she is a coward, uncreative and unfit to lead Malawi; development should not be hinged on mendicancy.

Secondly, you asked "... what is Un-african about a sensible
government allowing consesnting non-threatning persons
express their sexuality as they will?" It is known that homosexualism is never of Africa, it was imported. So if we enact laws to prevent it from corrupting our culture and ways of life, I see nothing bad in that. But for outsiders (The West) to threaten a sovereign nation to import an alien culture of theirs into its, Mister, such should be resisted vehemently.

Abeg, don't write what you wrote again. Find another means to buttress your point. The only thing I understood from what you said is that you're indirectly supporting Boko Haram...

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by victorazy(m): 9:36am On Jul 17, 2014
bloodykiller: the fear of the west

some fool will say GEJ dont have balls
upon all the treats he's still stand by his words
see as Malawi don change am shaperly

grin
GEJ did what men cannot do.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 9:38am On Jul 17, 2014
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

Are you sureee it's not magic? God hates wizards, you know. And 14 years sounds like a wizard incantation to me. Whomp whomp.

P.S. is the title "Mama Gay Activist" supposed to offend me? Because that's exactly what I am.

you this keyboard warrior, if i catch you, i'll will single-handedly take you to the police station, y'all need to be locked up. after 14 years, you'll come out refreshed but if you still continue this your anti gay movement, you'll get life in a male dominant cell. That will help turn some homo to straight men
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 17, 2014
GodMode:

Homosexuality is a worldwide issue that has been passed down from generations. But someone wrote this as his/her opinion just as some people wrote the bible as their opinion.

Do you know the definition of OPINION? Please, don't reveal your ignorance further. Go ask someone to tell you what research is. Then ask them what a primary source and a secondary source is. THEN ask them to help you look up the word "opinion".

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by gratieao: 9:40am On Jul 17, 2014
butterflyy:
How dare u compare gay rights to these evils. Has anyone's sexuality make u lose a loved one b4? If not, STFU

What this peeps do is none of our business. If there’s anything that needs to be banned in Nigeria, then it’s religious organizations (churches, mosques).
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 17, 2014
donnypool:

you this keyboard warrior, if i catch you, i'll will single-handedly take you to the police station, y'all need to be locked up. after 14 years, you'll come out refreshed but if you still continue this your anti gay movement, you'll get life in a male dominant cell. That will help turn some homo to straight men

But how will you do that? More incantations?

You are the one making threats. I never made a single one. So who is the real keyboard warrior here?

Homophobes are so scared all they can think of is violence. Don't worry, no one is going to come turn you gay. Unless you were gay to begin with. Is that where this fear is coming from? They said the loudest ones have the most to hide.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 9:43am On Jul 17, 2014
wink
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by IdiatFF(f): 9:43am On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

The proof you requested:

"Invoking the authority of the Catholic church to protect traditional African culture, is one of the many strange twists in the history of how European exported systems of belief and governance became rooted in the continent. When asked about homosexuality, a Ghanaian born editor of an African affairs publication was quick to blame the existence of that kind of behavior on missionaries and its prevalence in missionary run schools. Such perception, very widespread throughout Africa, is directly related to the mixed message colonialism brought; missionaries who came to save souls alongside of armies that came to steal the land and everything on it.

The very denying of indigenous homosexuality among African cultures plays into the hands of racism. Historian Wayne Dynes, in the introduction to a list of 84 references to homosexuality in Africa, notes that "Europeans have often held that 'sodomy' is a vice of advanced, even decadent civilizations. The Africans, being innocent 'children of nature' must be protected from such corruption."

From the 16th century onwards, homosexuality has been recorded in Africa by European missionaries, adventurers and officials who used it to reinforce ideas of African societies in need of Christian cleansing.

The Portuguese were among the first Europeans to explore the continent. They noted the range of gender relations in African societies and referred to the "unnatural damnation" of male-to-male sex in Congo.

Andrew Battell, an English traveller in the 1590s, wrote this of the Imbangala of Angola: "They are beastly in their living, for they have men in women's apparel, whom they keep among their wives."

Transvestism occurred in many different places, including Madagascar and Ethiopia.

Among the Pangwe people of present-day Cameroon and Gabon, homosexual intercourse was practised between males of all ages. It was believed to be a way to transmit wealth.

The Nzima of Ghana had a tradition of adult men marrying each other, usually with an age difference of about 10 years.

Similar to the pederasty of ancient Greece, Sudan's Zande tribe had a tradition of warriors marrying boys and paying a bride price, as they would for girl brides, to their parents. When the boy grew up, he too became a warrior and took a boy-wife. In this same tribe lesbianism was practised in polygamous households.

In the 18th century the Khoikhoi of South Africa used the word koetsire to describe men considered sexually receptive to other men, and soregus was the word they used for a friendship which involved same-sex masturbation.

Homosexuality is also recorded among the Siwa of Egypt.

It was considered a boy's rite of passage in Benin, and woman-woman marriages involving a bride price existed in more than 30 African societies from Nigeria to Kenya to South Africa.

How far back can homosexuality be traced in Africa? You cannot argue with rock paintings. Thousands of years ago, the San people of Zimbabwe depicted anal sex between men. The truth is that, like everywhere else, African people have expressed a wide range of sexualities.

Far from bringing homosexuality with them, Christian and Islamic forces fought to eradicate it. By challenging the continent's indigenous social and religious systems, they helped demonise and persecute homosexuality in Africa, paving the way for the taboos that prevail today."

Don't worry, I have about 32 more scholarly articles. And I've barely begun searching. This is just part of the first one. Did I mention I used to be an African Studies and Anthropology research assistant?
Thank you for taking the pain to bring forth proofs, but this is NO proof. Whose work are these 'scholarly articles' and when were they published? The statement bolded, were they the points you wanted me to pick out of the 'scholarly article'? Give me the answers to those questions and I will tell you why they are not proofs of homosexualism been of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by CyrusLevi(m): 9:43am On Jul 17, 2014
donnypool:

You are the type of guy that will get offended if approached by a gay person, and still defend gays. Even in the United states, not every states is practicing homosexuality. y'all going to hell straight up
Every single state in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA has constitutional freedom to All its citizens and it is clearly written in American constitution,discrimination against any american citizen born in america or naturalized there is a crime and a serious offence.

The only debate in America is on gay marriage,the states that ban gay marriage have had the Supreme Court overturn such laws as its contravenes the constitution.

STFU bro and get educated.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 17, 2014
GodMode:

Don't show your superiority complex further... it means nothing after death. No matter the jargon u write it still boils down to opinion.

*jaw drops*

Illiteracy is painful to witness.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 17, 2014
butterflyy:

Those things are evil abi, boko-haram and yerima are following their religion, so we should scrap islam because your name is butterfly? if those things are evil, homo is evil. 14 years is no joke.

i think you should STFU and stop being bias. keep this L.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by wirinet(m): 9:45am On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF: I think this is a wrong move for Joyce Banda and her cabinet; this is very un-African. When will African countries stop been beggar nations? Malawi has shown that it's a beggar nation by this act. It's an act of cowardice and it thus confirms what Ms Dambisa Moyo argued in her book 'Dead Aid'. Our leaders are just too lazy and very uncreative. What has Banda done to making sure Malawi moves away from depending on aid from these western countries who never mean well for her country? .. mtchew!!!!!!!!

What is unafrican about homosexualism? It has been with Africa since time began. Persecution of Gays in Europe was as bad if not worse than what is obtained in Africa right now, they learnt to tolerate gays after their society became less religious and enlightened. Africa is still in it's dark age, so religious fanatism, ignorance, poverty, disease and other malady control our lives.

What exactly is African? worshipping Arab and Jewish Gods? Wearing European cloths? speaking European languages, naming our children after European legends and hero's? or our women straightening their hair and toning their skins to mimic Europeans?

Please don't make me laugh.

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 9:46am On Jul 17, 2014
wink

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF:
Thank you for taking the pain to bring forth proofs, but this is NO proof. Whose work are these 'scholarly articles' and when were they published? The statement bolded, were they the points you wanted me to pick out of the 'scholarly article'? Give me the answers to those questions and I will tell you why they are not proofs of homosexualism been of Africa.

I believe what you are asking for is a citation. Yes? You want me to give you a citation so you can "tell [me] why they are not proofs of homosexualism been of Africa."

How will you do that? Will you call the authors and researchers and demand that they show you the cave paintings, missionary letters and journals, and native interview recordings so you can determine their authenticity? I would really like to know how you would go about disproving a scholarly article. I didn't realize you were an anthropologist. I apologize for the presumption.

By all means, I will provide you with the citations.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 17, 2014
CyrusLevi: Every single state in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA has constitutional freedom to All its citizens and it is clearly written in American constitution,discrimination against any american citizen born in america or naturalized there is a crime and a serious offence.

The only debate in America is on gay marriage,the states that ban gay marriage have had the Supreme Court overturn such laws as its contravenes the constitution.

STFU bro and get educated.

including in arizona right?
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by GodMode: 9:50am On Jul 17, 2014
cheesy
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by CyrusLevi(m): 9:51am On Jul 17, 2014
donnypool:

including in arizona right?
You failed GST105 or what?why do you lack comprehension skills?

I believe I said all states,meaning the entire American federation must uphold justice,fairness,equality and freedom to all citizens,gay and straights alike.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

5.6 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Badghis, Afghanistan. 26 Killed, Many Injured / Bananas Thrown At Black Italian Minister During Speech. / Saudi Arabia Admits Jamal Khashoggi Killed In Istanbul Consulate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.