Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,172 members, 7,880,659 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:07 AM

Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! - Family (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! (142376 Views)

This Is A Must Read For All, Especially married and Intending Couples / I Caught My Pastor-husband Naked, ‘counselling’ A Naked Church Member —wife / Fun- Bonding Activities For Couples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (67) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Emioga: 7:28pm On Aug 29, 2014
@beetle and other posters who suggested my family members moving in my MIL,when moving in with us said her pastor said no visitors shud be allowed 2 stay with us(i took d hint)bt dem family dey cum sleep ova sef and like u suggested i've ignored both completely.i dnt smile/laugh/have any conversation whatsoever just a good morning to MIL if i see am and i'm either in my room or d kitchen(dnt allow them cook in my kitchen)#operation mind ur bizness#@beetle u r soo on point abt her nt being able to stand competition(she saw me as one frm day one)
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 7:31pm On Aug 29, 2014
repogirl: aabegg o, to be on the safe side, morenike23, pls let the guy wait for you to finish school, then get married or get married but hold off on kids cos it isn't fun and it won't be fair to you or your baby! Think of yourself first before any other person! Beevan, which one is low threshold for multitasking? These things should be planned properly to avoid undue stress on mother, her studies and the baby!
morenike23 pls iron these issues clearly with your fiance. As for your dad, u should let him know first, possibly through your mom? Let her break it to him first... He has to know before you spring your fiance and his relatives on him... Dnt worry too much, every good father wants his daughter married well, if I were him sha, I'd advice waiting till you are through with schooling .... Your fiance should be able to wait if he knows your worth to him and wants the best for you!

My dear am just sharing my opinion which she can take or ignore, married women with kids graduate every time and graduate well too. No one said it will be easy but if she can cover the fronts adequately, why not? Time waits for no man.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by morenike23: 7:45pm On Aug 29, 2014
I really apreciate u all,tanks for the encouragementm
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 11:43pm On Aug 29, 2014
beeevan:

My dear am just sharing my opinion which she can take or ignore, married women with kids graduate every time and graduate well too. No one said it will be easy but if she can cover the fronts adequately, why not? Time waits for no man.

not everyone has the ability to withstand the stress that comes with being married while in school. she might not be ready for all that mentally......she got to look deep inside herself and as the simple question "am I ready?".

you Can also www.pakogirl..com for more
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 12:02am On Aug 30, 2014
dorosola:

not everyone has the ability to withstand the stress that comes with being married while in school. she might not be ready for all that mentally......she got to look deep inside herself and as the simple question "am I ready?".

you Can also www.pakogirl..com for more

I know, only get knows if she can or cannot.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by krystal101(f): 7:31am On Aug 30, 2014
Living room nko? U left it for them? Pls don't o

Emioga: @beetle and other posters who suggested my family members moving in my MIL,when moving in with us said her pastor said no visitors shud be allowed 2 stay with us(i took d hint)bt dem family dey cum sleep ova sef and like u suggested i've ignored both completely.i dnt smile/laugh/have any conversation whatsoever and am either in my room or d kitchen(dnt allow them cook in my kitchen)#operation mind ur bizness#
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Emioga: 9:34am On Aug 30, 2014
@krystal101 looooool and my palour too na my territories be dat and i never overstep them.i even have another entrance into d house(my own entrance)i sweep my side of d house they sweep theirs.like a poster said desperate times call for desperate measures i cant kill myself

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by krystal101(f): 10:15am On Aug 30, 2014
This is serious! The woman mean business o! My dear, suupport yourself with better prayers ooooo

Emioga: @krystal101 looooool and my palour too na my territories be dat and i never overstep them.i even have another entrance into d house(my own entrance)i sweep my side of d house they sweep theirs.like a poster said desperate times call for desperate measures i cant kill myself
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 30, 2014
Emioga: @krystal101 looooool and my palour too na my territories be dat and i never overstep them.i even have another entrance into d house(my own entrance)i sweep my side of d house they sweep theirs.like a poster said desperate times call for desperate measures i cant kill myself

I like your strategy abeg;living like neighbours...looollzzz...

I Don laugh sotee my eyes dey bring water.... abeg visit my blog www.pakogirl..com and leave a comment. Thank u...

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by temi4fash(m): 4:04pm On Aug 30, 2014
That's the spirit madam... Now that you have created boundaries and you seem to have found peace and happiness within yourself, I think you add lot of prayers to it and be proactive about getting a source of income. The lord be with you and makes his peace to rest upon you. Don't forget if their is anytime you want to let of steam. These thread is just a click away. God bless your marriage. Enjoy your weekend.

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by IyawoToBe(f): 10:18pm On Aug 30, 2014
I can so relate with your posts. I feel for you as I'm in a similar situation cry cry cry cry but mine is not a parent in law. May God help us through it.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Purecotton: 12:45pm On Aug 31, 2014
I have just come across this interesting thread and I thought I share my story.

I made this post on another thread but didn't get any comfort, support, advice or admonishments.

I'm facing the situation where I'm earning more than my husband.

I have always had a stable job and earned more than my husband even before we started dating. About two years before our marriage, God blessed me with another fantastic job.

When I landed the plum job, he didn't want me to take it and he wanted me to relocate but I refused and stood my grounds. I was really hurt then because the only reason I could think to explain why he would want me to turn down a dream job was jealousy. That job that he wanted me to turn down has turned out to be a source of blessing to him as I have helped him in more ways than one. Although he later apologised about his attitude.

He's not proud of my achievements, doesn't support me, doesn't ask after my career progression and he is always quick to talk down on my job when he's discussing with his friends and family. He keeps saying that "I'm just lucky" to have gotten the job. This hurts me so much because I have worked hard and really excelled at my job and worked really hard to keep it. I spoke to him about it, initially he denied it and claimed he supports me and he later apologised.

He didn't have a car and when I couldn't bear the embarrassment on him, I bought a top of the range car for him with all the documents in his name even before we got married. So many things I have done for him all to the Glory of God.

He took him about 3 years to get a job. On numerous occasions, he turned down jobs for mundane reasons. This led to so much arguments between us but I still remained with him and I supported him. He finally got a job few months to our wedding but his salary isn't much and can barely sustain him. The sad part is that both him and his family have refused to come to terms with his financial situation. They wanted me to resign from my job (again) before we officially got married and relocate to be in the state where he was and this caused so much fight because I kept asking how we were going to survive if I made such a move without a new source of income. I stood my grounds again and refused that I wasn't going nowhere. It seems they would rather see us live hand to mouth to prove a point that he's the 'breadwinner'. Today, I'm happy I didn't make the move because if I did, I don't know how we would have survived. My husband and I live a very comfortable life. . . . and I keep wondering why anyone would want to trade comfort for poverty/hardship.

I feel he is jealous and so is his family and it really hurts me. A man should see his wife as a pillar of support and a channel of a God's blessings in his life and not someone he should compete with or feel threatened by.

With all these, I still love my husband, I support him, I encourage him to succeed and I keep praying for him.

Sometimes I think the reason why things haven't picked up for him is as a result of his attitude. Maybe if he was more appreciative, proud, thankful and supportive of God's blessing (me), God would have also reciprocated and blessed him even more than he has blessed me.

This whole situation has turned me into a very angry, abusive, unhappy and bitter woman as I feel I hold so much grudges against my husband and I really need help to let them go.

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by pickabeau1: 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2014
Purecotton.. You have done well...however what do you want..

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by snazzylove: 9:27pm On Aug 31, 2014
Purecotton: With all these, I still love my husband, I support him, I encourage him to succeed and I keep praying for him.

This whole situation has turned me into a very angry, abusive, unhappy and bitter woman as I feel I hold so much grudges against my husband and I really need help to let them go.

You said you still love your husband, support, encourage and pray for him. Then where is the abuse, anger, bitterness and all the grudges towards ur hubby coming from?
LOVE IS KIND!

Am yet to understand the type of help you seek.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Godmystrength: 9:53am On Sep 01, 2014
@purecotton- since you said your husband has realized all his mistakes and apologized, why do you still hold so much grudges(or any grudges at all) against your husband?

And i don't think i am clear on this your last statement. Are you talking about the past or the present??
Purecotton: This whole situation has turned me into a very angry, abusive, unhappy and bitter woman as I feel I hold so much grudges against my husband and I really need help to let them go.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 01, 2014
Godmystrength: @purecotton- since you said your husband has realized all his mistakes and apologized, why do you still hold so much grudges(or any grudges at all) against your husband?
And i don't think i am clear on this your last statement. Are you talking about the past or the present??

She probably hasnt really been able to fully express her hurt for the fear of being labeled arrogant, a bad wife and a rude woman who thinks she is all that for supporting her husband.
She may be walking on egg shells hence her own feelings are concealed and may even pretend while she is hurting.
We Nigerians are good at that, we care more about appearences than real feelings hence bottling up our feelings and ending up hurt and very angry inside, one day we explode to something so little. I carry my emotions on my sleeve, if I am angry I react then and there then let it go, so many people have advised that I pretend more but I refuse, better for me and my mental health.

I advice that she sit with her husband and be totally honest on how hurt she really is, explain how talking her down upsets her and from there they open a new chapter and genuenly move on.

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Godmystrength: 10:13am On Sep 01, 2014
i know. But i think she has a leverage. For her husband to have apologized, it is step towards the right direction. She should just seized that period/opportunity to voice out her feelings so that they can do all the begging. apologizing, making up and bury everything once and for all. Because to her husband now, all is well but to her, it is not.

Hope you are good. happy new month.
aisha2:

She probably hasnt really been able to fully express her hurt for the fear of being labeled arrogant, a bad wife and a rude woman who thinks she is all that for supporting her husband.
She may be walking on egg shells hence her own feelings are concealed and may even pretend while she is hurting.
We Nigerians are good at that, we care more about appearences than real feelings hence bottling up our feelings and ending up hurt and very angry inside, one day we explode to something so little. I carry my emotions on my sleeve, if I am angry I react then and there then let it go, so many people have advised that I pretend more but I refuse, better for me and my mental health.

I advice that she sit with her husband and be totally honest on how hurt she really is, explain how talking her down upsets her and from there they open a new chapter and genuenly move on.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by snazzylove: 10:14am On Sep 01, 2014
Seriously I don't get this.
A 3yr old boy selfservicing!

A friend of mine yesterday confided in me that on 3 different times she has caught her 3yr+ old son stroking his manliness.
The first time according to her she didn't read meaning into it but cautioned him gently, the second time, she said she was very firm and warned him sternly to stop it and never to try dat again.
But the third incident is wat actually hit me, this time according to her she caught him in the same act and unfortunately the younger sister that is barely two years is practising the same thing with him. She said she spanked him mercillesly and even applied hot pepper on the kini shocked shocked
I told her to monitor dem closely especially what they watch on the tele, the type of people they associate with and even the kind of books around the house. And equally make sure they are not always together idle, she should get them educative toys and books to keep them busy, at least it will take their little minds off dat.
Fear grip me o shocked
Dunno if this is normal or what.
Mothers pls oo keep an eye on what your kids are doing.
Anyone with similar experience or solution to it should pls share so that we all can learn.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Godmystrength: 10:17am On Sep 01, 2014
snazzylove: Seriously I don't get this.

A friend of mine yesterday confided in me that on 3 different times she has caught her 3yr+ old son stroking his manliness.
The first time according to her she didn't read meaning into it but cautioned him gently, the second time, she said she was very firm and warned him sternly to stop it and never to try dat again.
But the third incident is wat actually hit me, this time according to her she caught him in the same act and unfortunately the younger sister that is barely two years is practising the same thing with him. She said she spanked him mercillesly and even applied hot pepper on the kini shocked shocked
I told her to monitor dem closely especially what they watch on the tele, the type of people they associate with and even the kind of books around the house. And equally make sure they are always together idle, she should get them educative toys and books to keep them busy, at least it will take their little minds off dat.
Fear grip me o shocked
Anyone with similar experience or solution to it should pls share so that we all can learn.

shocked shocked shocked I will come and comment later. I am still shocked at the bolded

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 01, 2014
Godmystrength: i know. But i think she has a leverage. For her husband to have apologized, it is step towards the right direction. She should just seized that period/opportunity to voice out her feelings so that they can do all the begging. apologizing, making up and bury everything once and for all. Because to her husband now, all is well but to her, it is not.
Hope you are good. happy new month.

The process is not the same for everyone of us, I have a feeling she is afraid to say somethings so "Peace can reign" hence bottling up so much and feeling so angry. Slowly sha, God heal them.

Thank You dear. Am fine dear. How is my Soldier

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by snazzylove: 10:24am On Sep 01, 2014
Godmystrength: shocked shocked shocked I will come and comment later. I am still shocked at the bolded

Me too oo shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Godmystrength: 10:33am On Sep 01, 2014
aisha2:

The process is not the same for everyone of us, I have a feeling she is afraid to say somethings so "Peace can reign" hence bottling up so much and feeling so angry. Slowly sha, God heal them.

Thank You dear. Am fine dear. How is my Soldier
Amen.

He is doing GREAT. He has gone completely ''home made food''. No more buying of Frisogold as much as before o grin grin grin
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by cococandy(f): 10:42am On Sep 01, 2014
pickabeau1: .however what do you want..

purecotton: I hold so much grudges against my husband and I really need help to let them go.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by pickabeau1: 11:16am On Sep 01, 2014
cococandy:
grudge

If grudges are the issue, then she has to be careful with some of the advice here

aisha2 has mentioned talking with the hubby.. that is the best approach

I leave Matt 5. 23-24 for her

So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you,leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

@purecotton

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by GboyegaD(m): 11:35am On Sep 01, 2014
@Snazzylove,
Your friend isn't fit to be a mother. If both kids at that tender age exhibit such character, she should sit them down and find the root cause of where such habit was learnt that way, she can handle it in a better way. What the kids need is help to get out of such habit as I do not believe they know what they are doing and I an sure they get no pleasure nor relief from such.
Applying pepper to the kini makes no difference and it is only an abuse to the child.

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by cococandy(f): 11:57am On Sep 01, 2014
@ pickabeau, seen.
Yes.

But at the same time too,if he doesn't sit up and start being appreciative of her support and efforts, whatever truce they reach now may only be temporary.
Because if any of his jealousy rears it's head anytime again in future,it's back her being resentful and bitter.

Too bad he's not here.
Situations like this are best solved if both parties get some talking to.
It's hard when one person gets good advice and while working for their success,the other person won't be on the same page with him/her.
Just that there's nothing we can do about it. smiley smiley

@ purecotton, your husband apologizes. That's a good thing. It means he's not obstinate.
I believe we can teach others to treat us well by the way we treat them.(Some of the time smiley )

Appreciate him. Thank him for little things. No matter how insignificant they may seem.
Praise what ever effort he makes even if it's not up to what you expect.

The message may not register at once. But gradually he'll see how unfair he's been to you.
He feels your achievements over-shadow his,so putting you down sometimes makes him feel better.
It is petty but it happens to many people too.

He may even be afraid of trying because trying and failing in the face of your success will even be a bigger blow to him than not trying at all.
Try to let him understand that not matter what,he's still the man you loved and married and his lack of overwhelming success doesn't make him less of a man in your sight.

3 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by temi4fash(m): 11:58am On Sep 01, 2014
GboyegaD: @Snazzylove,
Your friend isn't fit to be a mother. If both kids at that tender age exhibit such character, she should sit them down and find the root cause of where such habit was learnt that way, she can handle it in a better way. What the kids need is help to get out of such habit as I do not believe they know what they are doing and I an sure they get no pleasure nor relief from such.
Applying pepper to the kini makes no difference and it is only an abuse to the child.
Sir, I find it distasteful telling someone she is not fit to be a mother. Is there a criteria for been a mother?? Please give advise if you want to. And stop throwing jabs at the woman. I remember vividly when I was younger and my mum caught me gambling she beat so te I can remember asking if na she born me. But am a better person for it today. Everyone style of parenting is different the fact that hers does not align with yours does not in anyway make her less of a mother. But to these post me don't no what to say oo.. Brain is still loading. But am sure they must have caught or seen someone doing it.

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by pickabeau1: 11:59am On Sep 01, 2014
I agree with your post in part but feel outside involvement should b a thing of last resort

cococandy: @ pickabeau, seen.
Yes.

But at the same time too,if he doesn't sit up and start being appreciative of her support and efforts, whatever truce they reach now may only be temporary.
Because if any of his jealousy rears it's head anytime again in future,it's back her being resentful and bitter.

Too bad he's not here.
Situations like this are best solved if both parties get some talking to.
It's hard when one person gets good advice and while working for their success,the other person won't be on the same page with him/her.
Just that there's nothing we can do about it. smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by cococandy(f): 12:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
I learned kids touch their privates more often than not.
It's all part of the growing up and self/body discovery process.(So I learned)

But I'm very sure there was no sexxual undertone to what they were doing.
snazzylove: Seriously I don't get this.

I told her to monitor dem closely especially what they watch on the tele, the type of people they associate with and even the kind of books around the house. And equally make sure they are not always together idle, she should get them educative toys and books to keep them busy, at least it will take their little minds off dat.
Fear grip me o shocked

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by cococandy(f): 12:04pm On Sep 01, 2014
I meant like counseling
pickabeau1: I agree with your post in part but feel outside involvement should b a thing of last resort

But then that should be after they are done trying to fix it themselves.
So yes it should be a thing of last resort.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 12:05pm On Sep 01, 2014
@snazzylove
Seriously who rubs pepper on a three year old kini?.that is so not right,my 5yrs old son use to touch his unconsciously....i cautioned him about it...told him Jesus will not be happy with him(that scarces him a lot),and he stopped.your friend should find a way to properly convey the message without abuse.
Btw....writting about my in-laws will be an epistle....am in constant pain because of the way am being treated in the family.hubby has tried a lot to ease it but its not working rather they rage a war against him.God will surely intervene for me
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by temi4fash(m): 12:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
How about we look at from the angle that the woman might have some attitude problems. Like making him feel less of a man, over riding his decisions in the home and the likes because she has more money than him. It could cause resentment too..

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (67) (Reply)

Man Catches His Wife Sleeping With Another Man; Takes A Selfie With Them (Pix) / Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / Married Woman Kissing Her Secret Lover Gets Stuck To His Lips(photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.