Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,238 members, 7,947,168 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 01:46 PM

Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja (4134 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: Policeman In Ibadan Searching For Fuel - Photos / DSS Agents Kill Policeman In Cold Blood / Gunmen Murder Soldier, Policeman In Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by azimibraun: 11:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
The truth is that this story is not true

So
So

Fake!
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Nobody: 12:29am On Jul 18, 2014
Idrismusty97: He should be arrested. Let's see what the Saudi government will do. These people think we are monkeys.
The ambassador is covered by diplomatic immunity. That means he can't be arrested in Nigeria.
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Odunharry(m): 12:33am On Jul 18, 2014
if na innocent citizen,Them go dey show dmselve..

That officer na dsgrace
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Idrismusty97(m): 12:40am On Jul 18, 2014
CFCfan:
The ambassador is covered by diplomatic immunity. That means he can't be arrested in Nigeria.
I see. They can be prosecuted in very rare case though. I guess slapping is not one of them. This is an interesting excerpt from a Wikipedia article about "Diplomatic Immunity";

It is possible for the official's home country to waive immunity; this tends to happen only when the individual has committed a serious crime , unconnected with their diplomatic role (as opposed to, say, allegations of spying ), or has witnessed such a crime. However, many countries refuse to waive immunity as a matter of course; individuals have no authority to waive their own immunity (except perhaps in cases of defection ). Alternatively, the home
country may prosecute the individual. If immunity is waived by a government so that a diplomat (or their family members) can be prosecuted, it must be because there is a case to answer and it is in the public interest to prosecute them.
For instance, in 2002, a Colombian diplomat in London was prosecuted for manslaughter, once diplomatic immunity was waived by the Colombian government.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity

2 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 18, 2014
^^
Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by obayaya(m): 5:53am On Jul 18, 2014
Idrismusty97: He should be arrested. Let's see what the Saudi government will do. These people think we are monkeys.

You can't arrest him. He has diplomatic immunity.

The only thing Nigeria can do is alerting the government of Saudi Arabia. The government can recall him and discipline him or give Nigeria the permission to arrest.

That man just disgraced his country.

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Gboliwe: 5:58am On Jul 18, 2014
And the useless diplomat walked free? Chai! Nigeria! My beloved country! Chei! embarassed
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Nobody: 6:00am On Jul 18, 2014
Tolexander: Why would someone come from Saudi Arabia and start beating a policeman on his official duty?
Had it been it was a Nigerian ambassador to Saudi Arabia, it would definitely be another story now.
The Ambassador should be arrested!

He can't be arrested even if he had shot the policeman. The only thing Nigeria could do is declare him Persona Non Grata which means he's unfit to remain as the representative of the Saudi government to Nigeria.

His home government is then at liberty to try him for the crime upon his arrival to Saudi. His immunity as an ambassador is non-negotiable !

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by ThankGodEdeh(m): 6:02am On Jul 18, 2014
Everything is possible in Nigeria
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by maestroferddi: 6:52am On Jul 18, 2014
wesley80:
Would he have to "pull that stunt" if the generality of citizens weren't docile? Would a road be barricaded forcing road users to make detours simply because an IG of police lives nearby in a saner clime?
I am sure you are not a security operative and as such do not comprehend security issues. I do hope you are not expecting the IG to make himself an easy target for terrorists when intelligence reports seem to suggest a buildup/infiltration of terrorists within the vicinity. Maybe you are oblivious of the fact that terrorist are purveyors of terror:imagine the impact they would generate were they to take out a key security figure like the IG. The most effective type of maintenance, my friend, is preventive. You nip the likelihood of security breach by eliminating the possible causes ab initio.
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by maestroferddi: 6:54am On Jul 18, 2014
Bluetooth2:

He can't be arrested even if he had shot the policeman. The only thing Nigeria could do is declare him Persona Non Grata which means he's unfit to remain as the representative of the Saudi government to Nigeria.

His home government is then at liberty to try him for the crime upon his arrival to Saudi. His immunity as an ambassador is non-negotiable !
And who told you all these?
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:57am On Jul 18, 2014
I don't blame the ambassador. I blame the Nigerian government who allow these foreigners misbehave and feel they can go scot-free. As usual,no action will be taking on the ambassador as long as it happened on Nigerian soil.

What a shame!!
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by busky101(m): 7:07am On Jul 18, 2014
HE IS A FAST LEARNER.[i][/i][color=#006600][/color]
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 18, 2014
maestroferddi: And who told you all these?

Nobody

That's the standard protocol as established by the vienna congress on diplomatic relations. That guy is like the president of Saudi in Nigeria and hence, he's untouchable !

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by PointB: 8:13am On Jul 18, 2014
lynpetra:

I love your sarcasm. grin grin

And I like you too! smiley kiss
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Tolexander: 8:44am On Jul 18, 2014
Bluetooth2:

Nobody

That's the standard protocol as established by the vienna congress on diplomatic relations. That guy is like the president of Saudi in Nigeria and hence, he's untouchable !
you don show again ba?
How you dey bro?
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by idupaul: 8:46am On Jul 18, 2014
wesley80: I'm amazed no one has questioned the propriety of putting a barricade outside the home of the IG such that motorists are forced to make detours, let me guess Boko Haram? How does having barricades outside the home of every top government official solve our terrorism problems? what becomes of ordinary citizens who are and have been first line victims of previous BH attacks?
This thread in many ways highlights all that's wrong with us. Here we are accepting an absurdity as normal and calling for the arrest of a foreigner with the guts to protest when we cowardly failed to and yet we ask why our government treat Nigerians like thrash? well perhaps Nigerians are!

Exactly!!!!!!! Suprised people are even taking sides with our rude police
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by PointB: 8:59am On Jul 18, 2014
idupaul:

Exactly!!!!!!! Suprised people are even taking sides with our rude police

Even if the road block shouldn't be there, it gives no one (let alone a foreigner) the right to punch our policemen who are simply following orders - doing their job! An attack on our uniform men is an attack on Nigeria!
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by maestroferddi: 9:08am On Jul 18, 2014
Bluetooth2:

Nobody

I hope you do not surrender your perceptible abilities to Wikipedia. Going by your assertion, the foreign diplomatic can even embark a shooting spree and nobody should restrain him since he is insulated by diplomatic immunity. Does that make sense? Diplomats are, in any case, expected to carry themselves beyond reproach. Infact, they execute a code of conduct agreement under which they are liable to uphold. Look at this instance from Wikipedia below when an Indian diplomat was even treated like an ordinary citizen in the US:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx In December 2013, in the United States, Indian consular official Devyani Khobragade was detained, hand-cuffed, strip searched, DNA swabbed and held in a federal holding cell in New York. The diplomat was arrested on charges relating to allegations of non-payment of minimum/prevailing wage (as per US laws) and for fraudulently lying about the wages to be paid on a visa application for her domestic worker. India registered a strong protest and initiated a review of privileges afforded to American consular officials in India.[22] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 18, 2014
maestroferddi: I hope you do not surrender your perceptible abilities to Wikipedia. Going by your assertion, the foreign diplomatic can even embark a shooting spree and nobody should restrain him since he is insulated by diplomatic immunity. Does that make sense? Diplomats are, in any case, expected to carry themselves beyond reproach. Infact, they execute a code of conduct agreement under which they are liable to uphold. Look at this instance from Wikipedia below when an Indian diplomat was even treated like an ordinary citizen in the US:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx In December 2013, in the United States, Indian consular official Devyani Khobragade was detained, hand-cuffed, strip searched, DNA swabbed and held in a federal holding cell in New York. The diplomat was arrested on charges relating to allegations of non-payment of minimum/prevailing wage (as per US laws) and for fraudulently lying about the wages to be paid on a visa application for her domestic worker. India registered a strong protest and initiated a review of privileges afforded to American consular officials in India.[22] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity

Get a real book to read and stop tripping here. What kind of person quotes wikipedia as a reliable source of information ? NL standard has fallen so bad !
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by maestroferddi: 9:39am On Jul 18, 2014
Bluetooth2:

Get a real book to read and stop tripping here. What kind of person quotes wikipedia as a reliable source of information ? NL standard has fallen so bad !
You are obviously wasting my time. I gave an instance and you didn't even try. Is it my call to check out the name of the diplomat concerned and the particular incident in question. My friend, I don't have that time to burn, abeg. Comparing NL with wikipedia, a veritable global information resource although with occasional flaws is laughable, don't you think?
Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 18, 2014
maestroferddi: You are obviously wasting my time. I gave an instance and you didn't even try. Is it my call to check out the name of the diplomat concerned and the particular incident in question. My friend, I don't have that time to burn, abeg. Comparing NL with wikipedia, a veritable global information resource although with occasional flaws is laughable, don't you think?

I have told you to stop quoting wiki as it can be edited by even a dimwit.BTW, the only incident you cited was that of the consul staff and the US has maintained that she has no full immunity as she was not the ambassador of India.

There is a difference between the Saudi ambassador and the India woman on the Wiki you quoted. Perhaps, they look same to you because you don't know !

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador To Nigeria Punches Policeman In Abuja by maestroferddi: 9:58am On Jul 18, 2014
Bluetooth2:

I have told you to stop quoting wiki as it can be edited by even a dimwit.BTW, the only incident you cited was that of the consul staff and the US has maintained that she has no full immunity as she was not the ambassador of India.

There is a difference between the Saudi ambassador and the India woman on the Wiki you quoted. Perhaps, they look same to you because you don't know !
Guy you are embarrassing yourself, sam! I shouldn't quote wikipedia but your village headmaster, abi? Please try harder. The woman, going by your Alaba Market analysis, was, say, a janitor at the Indian Foreign Mission in New York and yet that particular incident led to a serious diplomatic stand-off between the State department and India. Maybe it was so trivial that it entered diplomatic lexicon as the Devyani Khobragade Incident. Oga try harder, you dey fall my hand...

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Voted Buhari In 2011 But 2015 Is For Jonathan...see Why (PIC) / Breaking News: INEC Card Readers Expose Electoral Fraud In Akwa-ibom / Buhari Daughter's Security Detail Take Over Boutique

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.