Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,870 members, 7,848,538 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 04:59 AM

What Is Your Car To You? How Does Your Ride Make You Feel? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is Your Car To You? How Does Your Ride Make You Feel? (960 Views)

Want Your Ride To Stand Out Amongst Others?..this Is For You!! / Scan Your Ride: 'MALFUNCTION INDICATOR (service/check Engine) Light Pops Up / My Car, Your Ride and Our Dream Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Car To You? How Does Your Ride Make You Feel? by ivoryhouse(m): 7:24am On Jul 18, 2014
A friend was on a forum and this guy posted this comment and he sent this beautiful and wise comment to me and i felt I should share it here. Please note that its not about his cars but how he feels about them. Let us share how our cars make us feel and our philosophies behind the cars we drive. I know this may be a bit different from what we are used to discussing but let us shars those deeper feelings and who knows, we may learn a thing or two from it.

Yellow Hummer has been my daily driver the past 4 years here in Phoenix. You will find it parked at Phoenix Indian Medical Center on the days that I am working in town. It will be parked at Landmark Aviation at Scottsdale Airport on the days that I am flying out to the Indian Reservations. I mainly drive on Greenway or 16 th street going to and from work. If you are in those areas in the morning or afternoon, you will see yellow hummer rolling along, and I will have a smile on my face.

I have only worked back in the USA for 4 years, and my Hummer is my survival vehicle. It keeps my brain from being fried by the reality of not sailing on my catamaran or driving somewhere other than here. When I climb on board my Hummer, I am no longer in Phoenix. In my mind, I am on the plains of the Serengetti or cruising over the dunes of the Empty Quarter.

I regard my time is Phoenix as just another cruising/sailing destination. When I was sailing around the world on my catamaran, Exit Only, I spent a couple of years driving in Australia and New Zealand - two cruising desinations. Now I am exploring the American southwest while I am at this destination. I don't regard this as my home. It's merely a stop on a never ending trip.

Home is where you heart is, and my heart is far from here. Check this out and it will make some sense: http://www.positivegraphics.com/Positivegraphic19.htm

http://www.positivegraphics.com/images/Home-788.jpg

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

The first home I ever owned was sailing vessel Exit Only. The dream of house ownership never appealed to me, and I have steadfastly resisted any passing and weak urges to buy a house. On the other hand, all of my adult life I have had an overwhelming desire to own and cruise on a small yacht.

When we lived in Saudi Arabia, we camped more than sixty nights per year in the desert. For those sixty plus days and nights, our Land Rover Defender was our home. I know that the Defender was our home, because when we were out in the desert, that was where our heart was.

Now that I am working in Phoenix earning Freedom Chips, I have a terrible confession to make. I purchased a house, but it wasn't because I wanted to. It was out of self-defense. While we were living in Fort Lauderdale, robbers were holding up banks with AK-47s, and we lived in a gated and guarded marina. Things are similar, but different in Phoenix. When I arrived in Phoenix, I couldn't tell whether I was in a 45 caliber zone or a 38 caliber zone. That made finding a place to live somewhat difficult.

I finally figured out that I had to make a choice. If I wanted to be safe working in this section of the world, I would have to buy a tent and live in the desert with the rattlesnakes and coyotes with an hour long commute, or I could buy an over-priced house in a seemingly safe area.

The over-priced safe house seems to be working fine. This must be what it feels like to be living in a witness protection program. You find a safe house and live an anonymous low profile lifestyle.

House ownership has turned out to be as painful and expensive as anticipated, and I miss my catamaran, Exit Only. Thank God I didn't sell my boat. If I had done that, I would have sold my home.

Home is where my heart is, and Exit Only is my home.

Here is the other side of my coin:

http://www.positivegraphics.com/Freedom-Defender.jpg

FREEDOM

When I sit behind the wheel of my Land Rover Defender/Hummer, I can feel the freedom start to bubble up in my mind.

The instant I climb into my Defender/Hummer, I'm no longer in New York, Paris, London or Phoenix. I'm suddenly transported to another place and time. It's as if Scotty beams me to the plains of the Serengeti or to the endless sandy vistas of the Arabian Empty Quarter.

Every time I return to work, I negotiate an emergency agreement with life. This agreement allows me to buy an off-road 4x4 vehicle, and that vehicle becomes my survival capsule. It's my way of keeping in touch with the freedom that I miss while working in metropolis. It's not that I don't like my profession. Rather, it's that I love my freedom more. I'm hooked on freedom, and I'm ready for another tidal wave of freedom to sweep through my life.

When I drive my Defender/Hummer down a city street, I have a "Near Freedom Experience." Although I'm not land cruising in the Arabian sands, I get a flash back to those adventures of yesteryear, and I can see that there's hope for more adventures in the future.

Once you have a taste for freedom, you are hooked for life, and nothing else will do.

http://www.positivegraphics.com/Positivegraphic57.htm

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Maybe one of these morning or afternoons you will spot me just trying to survive as I drive in my Hummer
Re: What Is Your Car To You? How Does Your Ride Make You Feel? by ivoryhouse(m): 7:34am On Jul 18, 2014
I love classic cars, not necessarily old classic but classics that are still in production in 2014 and still retain their good looks and character. The range rover, defender, discovery, gwagon, hummer h1, these are my kind of classic cars. I love 4x4 vehicles and when I sit behind the wheel of my defender I feel high. I drive a jeep commander daily but I miss my defender especially when I run into bumpy roads because where I have to slow down to a crawl on the jeep, I can do 50mph with my defender. The defender is a dream come through and I look forward to completing the restoration project and taking her to the beach to play.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Rav4 Transmission Issues / Nissan Xterra (2002-2004 Model) / 2010 Nissan Murano Passenger Airbag Sudden Blinking (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.