Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,317 members, 7,932,215 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 09:21 PM

Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? (12435 Views)

CCECC Construction Workers Protest Sack, Poor Wage / Civil Servants Demand N46, 000 Minimum Wage / Types Of Salary: Which One Is Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by stevolinkon40: 2:11pm On Jul 22, 2014
Monthly. Bang ashaawo for 30days and pay once on the 31st

1 Like

Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by egopersonified(f): 2:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
Hope civil servants are exempted from this hourly issue, but I trust some would take 3hrs for what would normally take 30mins.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by 19naia(m): 2:29pm On Jul 22, 2014
You can have both.. Have the pay rate be set to an hourly rate and then disbursement to happen monthly... Very simple and the best benefits of both can be enjoyed... Hourly rate also allows an employer to have more than one employee per position and never pay more than 1 full time salary, because he can never pay more than the amount of hours for the job done by one worker doing half of the hours, then go home while the other worker comes in after to do the remaining hours..
Many people have part time work because of hourly salary rates.. They can have a job that works only 4 hours a day for only a few days a week like Monday, wednesday, and Friday.. Some people just like more free time to tend to other matters like their personal business ventures while keeping a part time job to make up the money shortfalls from slow business in their personal ventures.. With monthly salary rate, a personal business venture will be hard to manage from work every day full time..

Also some people must have 2 or 3 jobs because they cant find one employer to give them full time of 8 hours work every day on hourly salary rate.. One employer only offers 4 hours work for only 3 days of the week, so the worker must find another job to earn enough money. It can be stress to commute from one job to the other all in 1 day.. many people do it
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by COvo(m): 2:45pm On Jul 22, 2014
I'll take hourly.No stress.I could even decide to work overnight if I've got smt to do during the day.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by otalenu(m): 2:57pm On Jul 22, 2014
I prefer monthly,, although, it depends on the nature of the job anyway.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by otalenu(m): 2:57pm On Jul 22, 2014
I prefer monthly,, although, it depends on the nature of the job.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Greyworld: 3:08pm On Jul 22, 2014
because yu are bein paid hourly doesnt mean a worker wont be supervised. I evn tink d problem of inefficiency in Nigeria is dat most people are evn paid monthly.

1 Like

Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 22, 2014
It depends on the nature of the job.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by tomiobj(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2014
vikel2104: Employees can either get paid by the hour or by a monthly salary.
An employee who is on hourly wage gets paid according to the number of hours he works (overtime is considered) while a salaried worker gets a specified amount at the end of the month regardless of the number of hours spent on the job (there is no regard for overtime here but there can be additional allowances). This is just a sketchy description of the two ways of remuneration. Now, let's consider the two.

Which is better for the employee and the employer?

Which makes workers more productive?

Which gives more job satisfaction?
I don't joke with money. I don't like the company holding my money. I get paid by minute
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by latinojives(m): 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2014
Depends on the Job description. I will advocate hourly for manual labour, and monthly for corporate professionals
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by oluamid(m): 4:02pm On Jul 22, 2014
Well, most businesses pay monthly in Nigeria. The only hourly payment are done in factories or industries where they pay weekly or bi-monthly.

All in all, Nigerian employees have no say in how they are paid (hardly), they just agree with the employer whatever he says. They can't argue much when they know there is a long waiting queue of unemployed people who are all gunning for the same job.

1 Like

Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by kilokeys(m): 4:14pm On Jul 22, 2014
kennygee: Monthly o, if i was on a weekly pay roll, i won't be able to save a dime.
I will be on a "spend as you go" plan.

ole cos u live on ur magas income shey?
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by noperson: 4:17pm On Jul 22, 2014
I think hourly would work. A place like naija where pple use every excuse not to come to work and still get paid. It would be good compensation for the hard working ones. You would be able to make more money especially with the overtime. You get 1.5 X (hourly) rate if you do overtime. This kind of job would pay you weekly or biweekly, so that way you are never broke.
One the other hand, all these naija employers that would pay monthly salary on the 15- 20 of the next month dey suffer pple after services have been rendered.

1 Like

Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 22, 2014
kilokeys:

ole cos u live on ur magas income shey?

Is that the way your sister lives her life? undecided
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by JEITO: 4:19pm On Jul 22, 2014
Let my wify be paid hourly, and I monthly kiss
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
it depends... in a country like Nigeria, monthly is best. In advanced countries, hourly is best. It's makes it easy for one to get union rates.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by ashdre: 4:40pm On Jul 22, 2014
I believe hourly paid is more productive.I work in a brewery and we r paid per hour.12hours per shift.(7:30 -7:30).
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by tokaiki: 5:13pm On Jul 22, 2014
kennygee:

You don't have to reply every kid on NL.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by kolaaderin: 5:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
Hourly payment is peoples oriented while monthly payments only breads slaves, that is why many people working in banks works from 7 am to 10 pm ending up with the same fixed payment while hourly payment gives u sense of security even when u are doing overtime, u know u are working for ur money. in many developed countries, when u worked overtime ur per hour income increase by either 50% or even 100% this encourages u to do more when there is job to do, its is left for the employer to make sure u are productive during the overtime.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by jasmine21(f): 7:12pm On Jul 22, 2014
Here in d U.S., they like hourly pay and that's what they use. I initially didn't like it cos it makes me feel like I'm working like a slave when I think abt it sometimes. But on 2nd thoughts, its really good. No one can hold u to ransom beyond ur closing time and ur overtime is calculated and u will be paid.

Unlike Naija where I will be stressed out and told I can't close yet especially when my Oga still dey office. Upon all, no overtime.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by gebest: 7:21pm On Jul 22, 2014
A bird at hand what millions in the bush, hourly is better.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Jasi7(m): 8:08pm On Jul 22, 2014
kennygee: Monthly o, if i was on a weekly pay roll, i won't be able to save a dime.
I will be on a "spend as you go" plan.

You are very correct ma'am...
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by kevolysis12(m): 8:20pm On Jul 22, 2014
IrishKez: Charge hourly to be paid at the end of the month.

your head is there jare. Best comment so far
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by kilokeys(m): 8:40pm On Jul 22, 2014
kennygee:

chai.. i no get power to fight u o.. why involve my sister na... oya no vex.. it was just a passing comment..
ur blood dey hot o
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 10:27pm On Jul 22, 2014
segunbanks: Please Peepz i need ur help 2lik my sister page on fb

I NEED YOUR HELP BUDDIES
Hello friend: I want you to like my sister pics and comment on her write up on
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=624311241000511&id=615001271931508&set=a.615062018592100.1073741828.615001271931508
tell your friends to also help me like it,it
one of the things that will make her qualify
as Osun Tourism Ambassador for Year
2014.pls I count on u. camp and race to
qualify is getting out. thanks
Help so you can be Helped its cost nothing
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 23, 2014
tokaiki:

You don't have to reply every kid on NL.

They just need to know that their childishness is not welcomed here.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 23, 2014
kilokeys:

chai.. i no get power to fight u o.. why involve my sister na... oya no vex.. it was just a passing comment..
ur blood dey hot o

My blood no dey hot o, i no dey insult people because i no dey like insult but e no mean say i no go fit give you double if you throw one come my side. No be quarrel.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by tokaiki: 8:36am On Jul 23, 2014
kennygee:

They just need to know that their childishness is not welcomed here.

I know it's unlike you but it's not worth it. Silence sometimes speaks volumes.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 23, 2014
tokaiki:

I know it's unlike you but it's not worth it. Silence sometimes speaks volumes.

True.
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 23, 2014
ichidodo: Get the best of both worlds as you get paid per week....
There's a Book that Guarantees a special "Contractual" Employment in any Industry of choice for its readers. The unique Job Pays a Minimum of N10 Per MINUTE Wages (Weekly Pay Cheques) with an innovative job specifications and descriptions based on certain qualifications and criteria! Even Undergraduates and School-Leavers are Employable under this offer! www.facebook.com/TradeByBarter
Re: Hourly Wage Vs Monthly Salary: Which Is Preferable And Why? by fubbyy(m): 4:38pm On Jul 23, 2014
Is there even anywhere they pay hourly in nigeria?

I wish there is

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ten Things You Need To Have As A Freelance Writer In Nigeria / AIG- BSG 2021/2022 Scholarship Application Test / Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.