Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,405 members, 7,881,476 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:45 PM

Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work (23414 Views)

help someone to get job where you work and where you have connection / Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! / Simple Job Where You Will Earn $50 Upon Approval. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by bukatyne(f): 8:24pm On Jul 23, 2014
truthbastille: I totally disagree with your write up. Job opportunities in the private and public sector has been reduced drastically because of Nepotism. Very few employers look beyond family, tribe, business associations, recess clubs, church etc and base thier criteria strictly on merit and performance

Because your aunt didn't help doesn't diminish the truth abt the rot in the system. Don't get me wrong, very few positions are available on merit but the mediocrity, retrogression especially in the public sector is a direct result of man know man employment.

You certainly are refering to one man and govt organizations.

Infact if an hr personnel employs someone not fit for the task, his/her job is on the line.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
Tanx God ihav seen one today, so may i cum
angela98: This reasons are lame and myopic. I have helped relatives and friends secure a job in the organization I work. If there is future vacancy, I am ready to recommend and help any of my interested relatives or friends secure the job...helping others is a good thing. As long as they are doing their job well...life is too short and shouldn't' be a competition. smiley
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Ashmark(m): 8:36pm On Jul 23, 2014
nenergy: We all have relatives working in big establishments both government and private and as a job seeker you might be amazed shocked and even agitated angry that your aunt or uncle working in that MNC isn’t helping you get a job in his/her firm. My job search lasted 9 months and in that time I expected my aunt (who works in the HR Department at Chevron Nigeria) to help me get a job there, but no show. It baffled me that I was connected, but cannot download. grin

Anyways, I got a job and being employed has exposed me to quite a number of reasons why your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work. Ceteris Paribus, they are;

1. No entry level vacancy: Let’s face it; there aren’t too many entry level positions available. Companies mostly want experienced hires- someone who knows the job well. So that your relative works there doesn’t mean he/she will recommend you without the requisite experience.

2. Strict recruitment procedures: Some companies have very strict recruitment procedures. Some are so strict even if you’re the M.Ds daughter you won’t scale through unless by merit. For example, the Daughter of the GMD of NNPC who failed the 2012 recruitment tests. So believe me, that your uncle can only refer you to the recruitment portal and nothing more. (Ceteris paribus o!)

3. Outsourcing: Most companies now outsource HR functions to 3rd party consultants. E.g Dragnet etc. Ok, so vacancy opens at your uncle’s workplace, but the recruitment process is handled by Dragnet. The best he can do is to give the web link and ensure that you’re invited for aptitude test. He can’t rig your test score for you. (Ceteris paribus o!)

4. Company policy: Most companies don’t employ people related by blood. So, that your uncle works there disqualifies you automatically. I heard of how a panel member at a job interview announced his relationship to a candidate and consequently excused himself. The candidate was his nephew.

5. ‘See finish’: There is something about humans that makes us protective and secretive of our source of income (o fe mo bi mo shen pawo). So your uncle will rather submit your CV everywhere else except his workplace so that you will not “see him finish”. tongue

There you have it; reasons your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work.

Source:
The Job Seekers Creed - more than just a book.
http://www.facebook.com/TheJobseekersCreed

Ur Aunty no get mouth reach d level of getting U inside d company.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 23, 2014
easyflow: Young man! you are definitely not from Nigeria undecided

You dey mind am? It's really bemusing when people attempt to distort reality - either due to wishful optimism or due to sheer misapprehension.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by priscaoge(f): 8:45pm On Jul 23, 2014
joedejana:
When terry g sings soul music
Bro u wicked oooogringringringrin na em be say e dey impossiblecheesycheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by tuffgongjo(m): 8:46pm On Jul 23, 2014
priscaoge: When my own thread go hit FP
last year.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by tuffgongjo(m): 8:51pm On Jul 23, 2014
A friend of mine told me a story about his uncle,who was(is)rich,a cousin of his was seeking for employment,this uncle will tell him to go$meet someone but before getting there the uncle would have called ahead that they must not employ him.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by olempe(m): 8:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
MARKone: What of those that generally don't want to see u succeed in life
GBAM!!!
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by begwong: 9:10pm On Jul 23, 2014
This only exist in a few world class multinationals. But talk of govt job from FGN,States and LGAs, we see people called for documentation without even drafting I hereby wish to apply....ish.
Do you even know most of the legislators are offered slots in these multinationals?
Thank God you have secured one!
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by McChapple(m): 9:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
Is like u serious about this.... think...brother
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
nenergy: We all have relatives working in big establishments both government and private and as a job seeker you might be amazed shocked and even agitated angry that your aunt or uncle working in that MNC isn’t helping you get a job in his/her firm. My job search lasted 9 months and in that time I expected my aunt (who works in the HR Department at Chevron Nigeria) to help me get a job there, but no show. It baffled me that I was connected, but cannot download. grin

Anyways, I got a job and being employed has exposed me to quite a number of reasons why your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work. Ceteris Paribus, they are;

1. No entry level vacancy: Let’s face it; there aren’t too many entry level positions available. Companies mostly want experienced hires- someone who knows the job well. So that your relative works there doesn’t mean he/she will recommend you without the requisite experience.

2. Strict recruitment procedures: Some companies have very strict recruitment procedures. Some are so strict even if you’re the M.Ds daughter you won’t scale through unless by merit. For example, the Daughter of the GMD of NNPC who failed the 2012 recruitment tests. So believe me, that your uncle can only refer you to the recruitment portal and nothing more. (Ceteris paribus o!)

3. Outsourcing: Most companies now outsource HR functions to 3rd party consultants. E.g Dragnet etc. Ok, so vacancy opens at your uncle’s workplace, but the recruitment process is handled by Dragnet. The best he can do is to give the web link and ensure that you’re invited for aptitude test. He can’t rig your test score for you. (Ceteris paribus o!)

4. Company policy: Most companies don’t employ people related by blood. So, that your uncle works there disqualifies you automatically. I heard of how a panel member at a job interview announced his relationship to a candidate and consequently excused himself. The candidate was his nephew.

5. ‘See finish’: There is something about humans that makes us protective and secretive of our source of income (o fe mo bi mo shen pawo). So your uncle will rather submit your CV everywhere else except his workplace so that you will not “see him finish”. tongue

There you have it; reasons your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work.

Source:
Omo Yoruba to sharp
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by mezebel(f): 9:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
teniola55: .
enemy of progress
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Dmatter(m): 9:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
As far as am concern I fink in nigeria 2day no family membr would want 1 2 b great except God. 1 just need 2 pray and put mind off their fucking assistance. I av seen where 1 even stand against her sister's promotion in abuja and helping others. May almighty God judge ppl according 2 their intentions. Shikena because I av auntys and brothers and still hustling 4 job till nw
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by 88natzy(m): 9:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
Please fellow Nairalanders, I am a graduate of microbiology from one of the prestigious universities here in Nigeria, I am result oriented and can work under any condition.
I would like to get informations about job alerts, advice and constructive criticisms to my mails.
Iro18emma@yahoo.com or 88natzy@gmail.com
Also my BB pin is
75F6B2EB. Thank you!
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by rottable(m): 9:49pm On Jul 23, 2014
Syenite: Unemployed youths should not have this defeatist attitude that the only way to get a job is by connection.

The truth and whole truth still remains that a good number of companies still recruit based on merit. Fact that u know someone who never wrote any test and got a job in a company does nt mean that there are no people who ever get jobs through the transparent recruitment process.

My advice to fresh graduates is that don't pay attention to people with the "u need connection to get the job" attitude. They will make u feel like a loser and defeated even before the job search. Mind the kind of job seekers u associate urself with or listen to. Believe me when ur mind is defeated ur life will be defeated.

MOST companies still recruit on merit. I was once in the labour market. I have moved from one establishement to the other. I never knew anyone.

The truth is people who probably didn't do well in school are using this "no connection no job" lies to console themselves and make u feel like all ur study efforts were in vain.

Keep searching, keep preparing for aptitude tests and interviews and b persistent. Believe in God and very importantly also believe in urself and that dream or desired job will be urs.

. Thank bro, i am inspired by these your comment.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by LyfeJennings(m): 10:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
That SEE FINISH na im gan gan will never make me employ any of my extended relative. LAILAI...
I once made the mistake of letting my dad employ my ex gf cousin.. my relationship is now in ruins no thanks to the crazy girl. She so much caused alot of damage to the point that I cried for my stupid self.. Once bitten twice shy.. never will it happen even if poverty wan kill the person..
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by lekzzydo(m): 10:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
Eh! Dis just happened 2 me 2day, infact now. It's like my brother is the OP trying 2 defend himself.....aint joking ooooo....#oluwaisinvolved.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by angela98(f): 10:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
Oma307: Tanx God ihav seen one today, so may i cum
no probs u are welcomed any day

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by donmatin(m): 10:33pm On Jul 23, 2014
angela98: no probs u are welcomed any day
God has so much for people like u,may not be much but it has bin recorded in heaven dat u r ur brodas keeper.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by AriDsexy(f): 11:09pm On Jul 23, 2014
Oma307: Tanx God ihav seen one today, so may i cum

Lol...I knew somebody was going to say this.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by popobaba(m): 11:18pm On Jul 23, 2014
tuffgongjo: A friend of mine told me a story about his uncle,who was(is)rich,a cousin of his was seeking for employment,this uncle will tell him to go$meet someone but before getting there the uncle would have called ahead that they must not employ him.

WICKEDNESS... shocked
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by snthesis(m): 11:43pm On Jul 23, 2014
@OP,
u are quite spot on. i use to beef my coz for a very long time for "failing to help me get a job" and making me sit at home for quite a while. that beef ended wen i got promoted to a level of authority and realized the complexities/politics at the work place, ppl looking to pull you down with the slightest of excuses, scrutinizing contract awards, background checks on recommendations- the work place na serious battleground- family can only help in a family run bizness even that isnt advisable.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by kenilo: 12:03am On Jul 24, 2014
LOOKING FOR A STYLISTS AND BARBERS FOR IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT at No 6 Olowu street Ikeja ''Be EXQUISTE UNISEX SALOON
send your age name and number and indicate your experience to 08074649215

Interview will be scheduled on 27/07/2014

Remuneration is very attractive
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by shilexholly(m): 6:46am On Jul 24, 2014
I think it has 2 sides....u might b lucky 2 b on merit but mostly its depends on whom u no o.....u sef think am if u av an opportunity 2 help some1 closer 2 u will u just let go....some even kip slots 4 dere loved ones b4 D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ graduate or durin NYSC......
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by nike4love: 9:47am On Jul 24, 2014
Greed runs in ur blood.i ve seen ppl get good jobs by relatives and even get promoted above the person that introduced them to the company.u shouldnt ignor ur relative if he qualifies for the job.mcheeeeeeewww
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by careema(f): 11:47am On Jul 24, 2014

Source:

in my company for example, no two blood relation can work, i think its them being on the safe side, fraud and all that. there is this funny policy though, no amorous relationship unless its leading to marriage, if it doesnt lead to marriage, both of you will be terminated.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Praktikals(m): 2:52pm On Jul 24, 2014
nenergy: I was connected, but cannot download. grin

grin grin grin
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Capableben(m): 4:29pm On Jul 24, 2014
Syenite: Unemployed youths should not have this defeatist attitude that the only way to get a job is by connection.

The truth and whole truth still remains that a good number of companies still recruit based on merit. Fact that u know someone who never wrote any test and got a job in a company does nt mean that there are no people who ever get jobs through the transparent recruitment process.

My advice to fresh graduates is that don't pay attention to people with the "u need connection to get the job" attitude. They will make u feel like a loser and defeated even before the job search. Mind the kind of job seekers u associate urself with or listen to. Believe me when ur mind is defeated ur life will be defeated.

MOST companies still recruit on merit. I was once in the labour market. I have moved from one establishement to the other. I never knew anyone.

The truth is people who probably didn't do well in school are using this "no connection no job" lies to console themselves and make u feel like all ur study efforts were in vain.

Keep searching, keep preparing for aptitude tests and interviews and b persistent. Believe in God and very importantly also believe in urself and that dream or desired job will be urs.

. Pls which school did u finish from sir? Does school really matter when it comes to employment
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by nenergy(m): 11:29pm On Jul 24, 2014
careema:
There is this funny policy though, no amorous relationship unless its leading to marriage, if it doesnt lead to marriage, both of you will be terminated.
What?!! Nawa o. People will be doing secret love and coming out of the 'closet' when the guy as proposed.lol Strange, but nice smiley
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Syenite(m): 10:53pm On Jul 25, 2014
rottable: . Thank bro, i am inspired by these your comment.
U are welcome. I just want to ensure that your minds dnt get poluted by -ve articles.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Syenite(m): 11:14pm On Jul 25, 2014
Capableben: . Pls which school did u finish from sir? Does school really matter when it comes to employment
I finished from Olabisi Onabanjo University.
Your school is nt much of importance.What matters more is ur class of degree.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by nenergy(m): 11:23pm On Jul 25, 2014
Syenite:
U are welcome. I just want to ensure that your minds dnt get poluted by -ve articles.
Like this one?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Recruitment 2024 (NNBTS BATCH 36) / My Husband Was Turned Back From NPOWER For Having Only FSLC Cert For NBUILD / Natforce Latest News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.