Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,805 members, 7,882,810 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 03:33 PM

Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners (24600 Views)

Raw Feeding Dogs - The Pros And Cons / No Parrot Owners Here? / 10 Common Mistakes Dog Owners Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 6:10am On Jul 30, 2014
standd: Hi Seun smiley
My friend's dog just delivered 5 beautiful puppies. He promised to give me one of them as soon as the puppies open their eyes (I don't know what this means).
I don't know anything about dogs but I just want this puppy cos I crave for a pet. sad
I hope I won't be spending my whole salary to take care of the puppy oh sad
Which breed are they? It takes a lot of hard work to raise a puppy properly. Please consider buying a well-behaved adult dog instead. The rice and boiled shawa fish diet is cheaper than raw, so you can go for that, but it would be smart to supplement with vitamins. Try to wait until the puppy is 10 -12 weeks old before adopting it. Puppies that have spent more time with their mothers and siblings are better behaved.

Mynd44: Seun, I don't know about this raw food thingy oooo. I have had dogs for a long time now, I don't feed them raw food and they are okay. My dogs go on a steady diet of rice and boiled fish. My sister and her husband are even trying out a new diet of Crayfish with theirs, the dogs seem to love it so far without and side effects.
Our family dogs also eat rice and boiled fish/chicken and they are very healthy; even overweight. I've read that rice is the easiest carbohydrate for dogs to digest. When I fed my dog crushed indomie and corned beef instead of rice and fish (because I don't have time to cook for myself, not to talk of a dog), his poops were awful, but I have never fed him rice. Indomie is made with wheat flour which is hard to digest compared to rice. It contains some proteins that dogs cannot absorb, so they are passed out as smelly and watery poop. Some dog foods (especially dry) are also made with wheat flour. Based on your experience as well as ours, I agree that most dogs will do well on a diet of rice and boiled fish.

About the poop, I inspect their poop most times and the poop comes out as poop no semi-processed food so I assume the food is completely digested.
What color is the poop? Is it firm or mushy? Does it turn white afterwards? Do your dogs get leftover bones regularly?

I don't experience the bad breath or yellow teeth cos we make sure we clean their mouth at regular intervals......
My dog is probably predisposed to bad breath and yellow teeth. Our family dogs eat rice and boiled fish and they don't have bad breath and yellow teeth (though their teeth are not really white). Maybe it's because of the bones in their fish and the leftover bones they get regularly.

I really don't like feeding my dogs raw food, I don't want them liking the scent of blood for any reason as we have kids around em
When a dog bites a human, it is not out of hunger but out of fear or aggression, just like when a dog bites another dog.

You might say there is no direct relationship but none of my dogs will touch raw meat even when you give them.
Although they have bitten overzealous guests once or twice grin, they seem to stop at immobilizing rather than actually bitting and feeding on the person as they don't really like raw meat and blood. You need to create a balance, do you want pets or guard dogs which will be trained killers. If you have kids around the area where your dogs live and play, raw meat is a no no.
Do you really believe a dog will feed on humans just because it eats raw food? My raw-fed dog has never fed on the small prey animals he hunted, not to talk of feeding on human beings. When a dog bites a human being, it is out of aggression or fear and not to satisfy its hunger. When dogs bite children it's usually because the children are doing something dumb like trying to take their food, pulling their ears, etc. My dog bit a guest and nipped me twice (for touching his food and taking a tennis ball from his mouth) before I started feeding him raw. Since I started feeding him raw food, he has not bitten or nipped any person. I can take raw chicken from the same dog that bit me for touching his indomie.

My mum did have a boerboel to herself once, silly dog. She ate everything my mum ate including apples, pineapples, groundnuts, coconuts and developed a special likeness for garden eggs grincheesygrin
We have a mixed breed dog that is fond of pastries: bread, biscuits, cake, etc. Dogs can survive on human food, but it's not ideal for their health. Rice and fish is ok because rice is easy to digest and provides energy so the fish protein can be used exclusively for body-building.

I don't experience the bad breath or yellow teeth cos we make sure we clean their mouth at regular intervals......
henry007: might just be your dogs pedigree.....when you brush your dog's teeth regularly(1/2 times a week) it stays white, even almost glowing
This is an acceptable and affordable alternative to feeding raw for dental health. What kind of toothpaste do you use and what techniques? If a dog's teeth are already yellow, will brushing alone remove the hard tartar? (In humans, tartar removal requires dental scaling and polishing)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Mynd44: 6:39am On Jul 30, 2014
Seun:
Our family dogs also eat rice and boiled fish/chicken and they are very healthy; even overweight. I've read that rice is the easiest carbohydrate for dogs to digest. When I fed my dog crushed indomie and corned beef instead of rice and fish (because I don't have time to cook for myself, not to talk of a dog), his poops were awful, but I have never fed him rice. Indomie is made with wheat flour which is hard to digest compared to rice. It contains some proteins that dogs cannot absorb, so they are passed out as smelly and watery poop. Some dog foods (especially dry) are also made with wheat flour. Based on your experience as well as ours, I agree that most dogs will do well on a diet of rice and boiled fish.
I guess you can say that. Rice and fish works well

What color is the poop? Is it firm or mushy? Does it turn white afterwards? Do your dogs get leftover bones regularly?
The poop is mostly firm....turns white after some time. They get left over bones and we buy cow bones from the market(the really big bones) boil them and give it to them. I heard it helps keep the teeth strong, white (like a local chewing stick....dunno if it is true) and is a great soured of protein. They also serve as a good dog snack for training the dogs

When dogs bite children it's usually because the children are doing something dumb like trying to take their food, pulling their ears, etc. My dog bit a guest and nipped me twice (for touching his food and taking a tennis ball from his mouth) before I started feeding him raw. Since I started feeding him raw food, he has not bitten or nipped any person. I can take raw chicken from the same dog that bit me for touching his indomie.
nice argument but my mum's dog actually loves it when little children pulls her ears, or nose.

might just be your dogs pedigree.....when you brush your dog's teeth regularly(1/2 times a week) it stays white, even almost glowing This is an acceptable and affordable alternative to feeding raw for dental health. What kind of toothpaste do you use and what techniques? If a dog's teeth are already yellow, will brushing alone remove the hard tartar? (In humans, tartar removal requires dental scaling and polishing)
We used cotton wool when they were younger(exclusively) but now, those "smoker" toothbrush once a month. In between, we use cotton wool. The Vet suggested we give them bones (that they can't swallow or break) like I wrote up there and I guess that helped with their teeth.[/quote]

As for toothpaste, we to use the herbal "Close up".......I don't know how much difference that makes but it does the job well.

3 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by drehdinho(m): 7:32am On Jul 30, 2014
Please anybody ready to give me a puppy for free?
Will really appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by jericco1(m): 7:40am On Jul 30, 2014
Seun and dogs I have two lovely dogs sir, do you mind to see them?
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by barcaboi(m): 8:13am On Jul 30, 2014
Mynd44: Seun, I don't know about this raw food thingy oooo. I have had dogs for a long time now, I don't feed them raw food and they are okay. I don't experience the bad breath or yellow teeth cos we make sure we clean their mouth at regular intervals......

About the poop, I inspect their poop most times and the poop comes out as poop no semi-processed food so I assume the food is completely digested. My dogs go on a steady diest of rice and boiled fish. My sister and her husband are even trying out a new diet of Crayfish with theirs, the dogs seem to love it so far without and side effects.

I really don't like feeding my dogs raw food, I don't want them liking the scent of blood for any reason as we have kids around em. You might say there is no direct relationship but none of my dogs will touch raw meat even when you give them. Although they have bitten overzealous guests once or twice grin, they seem to stop at immobilizing rather than actually bitting and feeding on the person as they don't really like raw meat and blood.

You need to create a balance, do you want pets or guard dogs which will be trained killers. If you have kids around the area where your dogs live and play, raw meat is a no no.

My mum did have a boerbull to herself once, silly dog. She ate everything my mum ate including apples, pineapples, groundnuts, coconuts and developed a special likeness for garden eggs grincheesygrin
Actually, fruits are good for dogs. Water melon, lettuce,apple even oranges but don't give dem grapes, onions or raisins...
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Mynd44: 8:23am On Jul 30, 2014
barcaboi:
Actually, fruits are good for dogs. Water melon, lettuce,apple even oranges but don't give dem grapes, onions or raisins...
Erm.....what dog eats onions in the first place?

2 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by JustGuy(m): 8:42am On Jul 30, 2014
Hello Seun, Mynd and others in here..... I keep Caucasians. I live in Jos, and over here we feed dogs mostly with maize, millet, groundnut cake and sometimes soya beans. Is this a good diet, or should I consider the rice and fish? And what kind of fish/rice is used? Again, I supplement my puppies with NAN as from 3 - 5 days - I hear it's not advisable? And please what is the best diet for puppies, say from 8 weeks? Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by begunatoye(m): 9:08am On Jul 30, 2014
As a vet, I must also point that raw feeding does not only include feeding dogs raw meat and bones alone, it also includes feeding vegetables, fruit, raw eggs and milk or yogurt to dogs. Raw feeding is expensive for owners of large dogs, fraught with exposure of dogs and owners to bacterial infection (salmonella, Ecoli) and risk of dog choking on bones (not funny when your dog can't bark or eat cos of bones lodged in the throat. A dog fed only meat will suffer from nutritional imbalance hence the pertinent need for supplementation. If you want to switch your dog's diet to raw diet, do it gradually and observe your dog's response. Raw feeding has it advantages though, hence, each owner should weigh the pros and cons before deciding.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by wrench: 9:42am On Jul 30, 2014
I feed my dog (caucasian) cooked meal. And it seems to love it. And I observed it tend to eat anything edible by humans, and I haven't noticed any discomfort from him.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Mynd44: 9:44am On Jul 30, 2014
wrench: I feed my dog (caucasian) cooked meal. And it seems to love it. And I observed it tend to eat anything edible by humans, and I haven't noticed any discomfort from him.
Your dog mostly learns what to eat from you. It is most likely to eat the stuff you eat.

2 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by wrench: 10:00am On Jul 30, 2014
Mynd44:
Your dog mostly learns what to eat from you. It is most likely to eat the stuff you eat.
yea, you are right.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 10:12am On Jul 30, 2014
drehdinho: Please anybody ready to give me a puppy for free? Will really appreciate it.
Please create a new thread to discuss that!
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Jcob(m): 10:23am On Jul 30, 2014
My dog failed to eat indomie waste so I got a kilo of sha wa for him this morning. He ate 2 out of 4 without my help in cutting the fish. Guess the 2 is enough for him today.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 10:52am On Jul 30, 2014
Jcob: My dog failed to eat indomie waste so I got a kilo of sha wa for him this morning. He ate 2 out of 4 without my help in cutting the fish. Guess the 2 is enough for him today.

2 to 3% if his body weight.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 10:59am On Jul 30, 2014
begunatoye: As a vet, I must also point that raw feeding does not only include feeding dogs raw meat and bones alone, it also includes feeding vegetables, fruit, raw eggs and milk or yogurt to dogs. Raw feeding is expensive for owners of large dogs, fraught with exposure of dogs and owners to bacterial infection (salmonella, Ecoli) and risk of dog choking on bones (not funny when your dog can't bark or eat cos of bones lodged in the throat. A dog fed only meat will suffer from nutritional imbalance hence the pertinent need for supplementation. If you want to switch your dog's diet to raw diet, do it gradually and observe your dog's response. Raw feeding has it advantages though, hence, each owner should weigh the pros and cons before deciding.

Egg yes, yogurt not necessary and don't really need vegetable and I haven't notice any nutritional deficiency from my dogs since. Feeding raw is a choice and once you get your formula right, nothing to worry about. I only feed BARF.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Jcob(m): 11:46am On Jul 30, 2014
oluomoadebayo:
2 to 3% if his body weight.

He is approximately 16 kg
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by egopersonified(f): 12:56pm On Jul 30, 2014
I knew this thread was posted by you before even opening it. By the way, do all your threads make fp? They had better not, they must follow due process ohh. lol
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 10:59pm On Jul 30, 2014
Jcob:

He is approximately 16 kg
Do the Mathis and feed him with the percentage.

1 Like

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 6:35am On Jul 31, 2014
Jcob: My dog failed to eat indomie waste so I got a kilo of sha wa for him this morning. He ate 2 out of 4 without my help in cutting the fish. Guess the 2 is enough for him today.
Uncooked Shawa contains an Enzyme called Thiaminase that destroys vitamin B1. Feeding it regularly will cause beriberi. You should cook it (some minutes in the microwave) or give the dog a Vitamin B1 supplement or avoid feeding him raw Shawa fish more than 1 day per week.

I've switched my dog to raw Titus fish. It is an almost balanced diet; it contains all organs which provide vitamins. I was going to start feeding him raw chicken and 10 - 15% raw cow organs but yesterday, after eating some raw liver, my dog was reluctant to eat his 1/2 chicken even after I deboned it for him (the commonly sold chicken has far too much bone) so in anger I decided I won't waste too much time on the ungrateful dog's food. Titus fish is probably not a fully balanced diet, though, because it's a fish and wolves/dogs don't eat fish. It's nutrient composition is probably a bit different from that of traditional wolf prey (herbivorous mammals). I will feed my dog with chicken bones (for calcium and dental health) regularly and cow organs (especially liver, for vitamins that may be low in Titus fish) occasionally.

I will give my dog two opportunities to eat every day. During each one, I will allow the dog to eat as much Titus fish as he wants. I will cut slices and give each one to him after he obeys a command, until he stops eating, & then the "kitchen" will be closed for 12 hours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by drehdinho(m): 11:57am On Jul 31, 2014
Seun:
Please create a new thread to discuss that!

Thank you sir(Mr Seun) for giving me the go ahead...hope the thread hits the first page.

1 Like

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 10:37am On Aug 02, 2014
begunatoye: As a vet
Please help me out here, sir: https://www.nairaland.com/1824200/dogs-ear-discomfort-making-me Thank you so much in advance.

I must also point that raw feeding does not only include feeding dogs raw meat and bones alone, it also includes feeding vegetables, fruit, raw eggs and milk or yogurt to dogs.
There are two ways to feed raw. There's the BARF model which is what you have described, and the prey model which seems to make more sense to me and also requires less effort. It postulates that dogs do not need vegetables. That they can satisfy their vitamin requirements by eating all the organs of prey animals. They only need veggies (grass, weeds) when they have upset stomachs and want to induce vomiting.

Raw feeding is expensive for owners of large dogs
Oluomoadebayo has figured out how to feed raw cheaply. But yeah, it's generally more expensive. Rice and cooked fish is more affordable.

fraught with exposure of dogs and owners to bacterial infection (salmonella, Ecoli)
But sir, dogs eat poop. They also like to bury their bones in the ground and then eat them when they get ripe i.e. overrun with bacteria. And these practices rarely hurt them. This makes me feel that most dogs will be fine with raw food that was meant for human consumption.

and risk of dog choking on bones (not funny when your dog can't bark or eat cos of bones lodged in the throat.)

Raw feeders say that raw bones are softer than cooked bones and hence less likely to cause issues. My experience confirms this. Yesterday I gave my dog a cooked chicken bone. This is a dog that has devoured many whole chickens. And he found it very difficult to crunch the bone. Realising the danger, I retrieved the bone and threw it away. Most dog owners do give their dogs cooked bones from time to time, and only occasionally do they have intestinal obstructions. Raw bones, being softer, should be less likely to cause problems to dogs. Raw feeders only needs to avoid bones that are most likely to be problematic e.g. bones that are too hard to crack or too small to chew properly.

A dog fed only meat will suffer from nutritional imbalance hence the pertinent need for supplementation.
I agree. Muscle meat doesn't contain all the nutrition they need. That's why the prey model recommends 10% organs and 10% bone too.

If you want to switch your dog's diet to raw diet, do it gradually and observe your dog's response. Raw feeding has it advantages though, hence, each owner should weigh the pros and cons before deciding.
Many raw feeders believe mixing raw food with other food is dangerous because they don't digest the same way. It leads to upset stomachs which would be blamed on the raw food. They recommend feeding the dog a half ration of his normal food one day (so his stomach will be almost empty by the next day) & then feeding the dog a half ration of raw food the next day (to give the digestive system time to adapt).
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 11:45am On Aug 05, 2014
In order to feed raw food conveniently with a balanced raw diet, you need two things: an accurate kitchen scale and a deep freezer. It's been a bit challenging for me because I have only a small freezer (in my fridge) and I have not been able to get a kitchen scale.

One idea I came up with recently is to combine equal portions of raw mackerel (titus) fish and chicken lap into each meal. Titus fish is good for organs and meat but deficient in bone, while regular chicken lap contains too much bone, so I figured that they would balance each other.

My dog weighs 30kg, so he's supposed to eat 600g (2%) to 900g (3%) of raw food daily. However, I want him to gain weight so I try to feed him 1kg (3.3%) instead. This means 250g of fish (1/2 of a big titus fish) and 250g of chicken (1kg divided into 4 portions) twice a day.

My dog seems to love this combination. If I feed him fish alone, or chicken alone, he seems to lose interest after a while. But if I feed titus fish first, followed by the chicken (which should be fed last to clean his teeth) he doesn't seem to lose interest. He seems to love the variety.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have just discovered a new meat source. Orobo chicken lap! It costs almost the same per kg as regular chicken lap, but the laps are huge (about 0.75kg) and have a high meat to bone ratio because they come from meaty broiler chickens. Buying this is a no-brainer since it has more meat for each naira spent, but its lower bone content might upset the balance of my fish & chicken lap recipe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Apitch(m): 12:07pm On Aug 05, 2014
Boiled chicken and fish bones are bad for dogs cos they form needle like shapes that are harmful to the dogs
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by yinksdadon: 3:02pm On Aug 06, 2014
there is ds german shepherd of mine.we used to feed her raw fish and meat until it tasted cooked food.after that she started rejecting raw meat and she eats whatever we eat,even amala and eba.she never gets constipated and its poop is not smelly.she doesnt poop around .she s hostile to visitors but quite friendly to family ,even those she has never known.she enters the house and sticks to her corner when somefn is cooking.i fnk its about training.give ur dog balanced diet and it ll reject raw uncooked meat.i fnk the raeson why the poop is normal is the presense of fibre in the diet.yeah the teeth never got discoloured.she was so wonderful and healthy.that reminds me ,she never became friendly with dos who maltreated her while she was a pup

4 Likes

Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oshanka: 6:08pm On Aug 06, 2014
Dogs could be classified as facultative carnivores and not obligates, hence they can process both animal and non animal foods.They have amylase which is the enzyme that breaks down carbohydrate in their digestive tracts unlike ours in saliva...

Fruits and plants that are digestable offer a digestive break from fatty domestically raised animals that are fed by raw enthusiast as they are dense in nutrients and contain anti-oxidants ... pumpkins , apples and carrrots are good for dogs . it has been observed that wolves in the wild which proponents of Raw feeding get their ideas from eat other foods primarily fruits

I am an avid believer in Variety being the spice of life , hence my dogs have as their main meal Diamond Kibble(lamb and rice flav) and any of these depending on how time and funds permit,canned jojo mixed with rice , boiled deboned chicken mixed with kibbles, carrots and apples although one does not like apples. shredded pumpkin (ugwu) in chicken broth/stock with sweet potatoes and countless other mixes ...

Ain't against any school of feeding , prey feeding, BARF(bones and raw feeding) or even people who have chosen vegan diet for their dogs. but mix the flow , titus , shawa ,croaker,tilpia, catfish and different kinds of healthy meat from sheep , goat, cow , turkey, lean pork chops if you chose to feed raw etc

Life is too short let your dog enjoy various healthy meals
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 12:25pm On Aug 07, 2014
Apitch: Boiled chicken and fish bones are bad for dogs cos they form needle like shapes that are harmful to the dogs
Agreed, but raw bones can be dangerous too, if the dog does not chew them properly before swallowing them, or if the dog eats many bare bones on an empty stomach (with nothing to cushion the bone fragments), or if the dog's digestive system is not functioning well due to illness or old age. Personally, the only bones I trust my dog with at the moment are the raw bones embedded in chicken meat. I've tried turkey wing but the bones seemed hard and sharp! Currently trying to find out which parts of a pig or cow have bones that my dog can safely consume.

yinksdadon: there is ds german shepherd of mine.we used to feed her raw fish and meat until it tasted cooked food.after that she started rejecting raw meat and she eats whatever we eat,even amala and eba.she never gets constipated and its poop is not smelly.she doesnt poop around .she s hostile to visitors but quite friendly to family ,even those she has never known.she enters the house and sticks to her corner when somefn is cooking.i fnk its about training.give ur dog balanced diet and it ll reject raw uncooked meat.i fnk the raeson why the poop is normal is the presense of fibre in the diet.yeah the teeth never got discoloured.she was so wonderful and healthy.that reminds me ,she never became friendly with dos who maltreated her while she was a pup
I'd love to see your dog's pictures. Yes, the raw diet is not necessary to have a healthy dog. 80% of the dental benefits that made me switch to raw can be achieved by simply giving the dog safe bones in-between meals. It's unlikely that the diet you fed your dog was truly balanced for a dog, though. She may have had some mild nutrient deficiencies that you were not aware of, but there were no acute deficiencies because of the variety of your dog's diet, so she didn't fall sick. Yes, dogs will generally choose cooked meat over raw meat because it has a more interesting smell, and is much easier to chew, just as most children will prefer ice cream to veggies. That doesn't mean it's better for them, though!

My main reason for feeding raw at the moment is that it challenges my dog; it gives him something to do with his time & powerful jaw muscles! Another reason is that I think tough-meat-on-bone meals are better for his (delicate?) dental health than leftover bones in-between meals. Another one is that it's easy to create a balanced raw diet using the prey model. With cooked food, it's harder cos cooking destroys nutrients.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 1:34pm On Aug 07, 2014
oshanka: Dogs could be classified as facultative carnivores and not obligates, hence they can process both animal and non animal foods.They have amylase which is the enzyme that breaks down carbohydrate in their digestive tracts unlike ours in saliva...

Fruits and plants that are digestable offer a digestive break from fatty domestically raised animals that are fed by raw enthusiast as they are dense in nutrients and contain anti-oxidants ... pumpkins , apples and carrrots are good for dogs . it has been observed that wolves in the wild which proponents of Raw feeding get their ideas from eat other foods primarily fruits
Dogs can digest starch using the amylase enzyme secreted from the pancreas. But wolves also secrete amylase, though geneticists report that dogs have more genes to facilitate the production of amylase than wolves. This improved ability to digest starch means dogs can get calories from starch, but it doesn't mean they can rely on plant-based human food for other nutrients (e.g. vitamins from cabbage, protein from beans). My dog eats grass and other weeds, but probably not for their nutritional value, as they come out largely unchanged in his poop.

I am an avid believer in Variety being the spice of life , hence my dogs have as their main meal Diamond Kibble(lamb and rice flav) and any of these depending on how time and funds permit,canned jojo mixed with rice , boiled deboned chicken mixed with kibbles, carrots and apples although one does not like apples. shredded pumpkin (ugwu) in chicken broth/stock with sweet potatoes and countless other mixes ...
Despite my preference for raw, I would agree that rice is good for dogs because the starch it contains is particularly easy to digest, and we know that dogs can digest starch. Many dogs are doing very well on rice or indomie mixed with animal flesh: fish, offal, chicken, eggs, foetus, etc. However, I've found no evidence that fruits and vegetables are of any use to dogs nutritionally, though I guess they're not harmful either.

Ain't against any school of feeding , prey feeding, BARF(bones and raw feeding) or even people who have chosen vegan diet for their dogs. but mix the flow , titus , shawa ,croaker,tilpia, catfish and different kinds of healthy meat from sheep , goat, cow , turkey, lean pork chops if you chose to feed raw etc. Life is too short let your dog enjoy various healthy meals
I agree with this. One of the reasons why I don't vary the protein in my dog's diet that much is that some sources of protein are drastically more expensive than others. I recently bought a 1.04kg rabbit for 2,500 naira. It contained less than 500g of meat (that's 5,000 naira per kg)! I wanted to feed it to the dog but he didn't appreciate it, so I fed him the yucky parts and bones and saved the meat for myself! Meanwhile, titus fish (mackerel), chicken, and pork cuts cost between 600 and 700 naira per kg while beef cuts costs about 1000 naira per kg, more-or-less.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by Seun(m): 1:38pm On Aug 10, 2014
Eggs are supposed to be a complete and balanced source of nutrition because they contain all the nutrients needed by a chicken foetus. The only thing they lack is calories since a foetus does not need to move around, which is probably why some people eat eggs to lose weight.

Naturally, after discovering that eggs cost only about 400 naira per kg, I decided to place my poor dog on a diet of just eggs for more than 24 hours. For his first meal I fed him 4 large raw scrambled eggs minus the shells, and some raw bones. For his second and third meals, I ground 6 whole eggs including the shells, cooked them in the microwave, and served them to the dog. The first poop was yellow and very soft; this could have been due to lack of bone or because the dog's digestive system was adjusting to the eggs. The second one was initially yellow, with some green and red parts. But as it dried up, it turned white with traces of green. It crumbles into powder just like chicken+bone poop.

I have learned two important things from this experiment: (1) Yes, a dog's digestive system can handle eggs and ground shell very well, but (2) my dog simply does not like eggs. He doesn't like them raw, or cooked, or lightly fried, or boiled and then ground. Regardless of how I served the eggs, he always ate a bit (50% to 80%) and then rejected the rest. I should forget about adding eggs to his diet. However, I do eat eggs regularly and since I know that he can digest ground eggshells, I will save my eggshells, grind them, and add them to his food regularly.

If you want to serve eggs, the best way is to boil them lightly, and then grind the whole thing (including the shells). The boiling is needed because, if you mix raw eggs with ground shells, the ground shells will just settle to the bottom of the mixture and your dog won't eat them.
Re: Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners by oluomoadebayo: 3:24pm On Aug 10, 2014
Seun: Eggs are supposed to be a complete and balanced source of nutrition because they contain all the nutrients needed by a chicken foetus. The only thing they lack is calories since a foetus does not need to move around, which is probably why some people eat eggs to lose weight.

Naturally, after discovering that eggs cost only about 400 naira per kg, I decided to place my poor dog on a diet of just eggs for more than 24 hours. For his first meal I fed him 4 large raw scrambled eggs minus the shells, and some raw bones. For his second and third meals, I ground 6 whole eggs including the shells, cooked them in the microwave, and served them to the dog. The first poop was yellow and very soft; this could have been due to lack of bone or because the dog's digestive system was adjusting to the eggs. The second one was initially yellow, with some green and red parts. But as it dried up, it turned white with traces of green. It crumbles into powder just like chicken+bone poop.

I have learned two important things from this experiment: (1) Yes, a dog's digestive system can handle eggs and ground shell very well, but (2) my dog simply does not like eggs. He doesn't like them raw, or cooked, or lightly fried, or boiled and then ground. Regardless of how I served the eggs, he always ate a bit (50% to 80%) and then rejected the rest. I should forget about adding eggs to his diet. However, I do eat eggs regularly and since I know that he can digest ground eggshells, I will save my eggshells, grind them, and add them to his food regularly.

If you want to serve eggs, the best way is to boil them lightly, and then grind the whole thing (including the shells). The boiling is needed because, if you mix raw eggs with ground shells, the ground shells will just settle to the bottom of the mixture and your dog won't eat them.

feeding eggs is advisable 2 times a week and not as a whole food. it serves as a supplement not food.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can I Cook Weed (igbo) For My Dog To Be Aggressive / If All Animals were Tamed, Which Animal Will You Take As A Pet? / Which Insecticide Can Be Use To Kill Bedbugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.