Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,749 members, 7,952,076 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:23 AM

Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! (2698 Views)

Check This Out!!! Click And View What This Picture Is Saying About Java / Am Confused About Java And C++ / C Programming Challenge To Be Solved Under 10 Minutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! by Jeffahead: 4:04pm On Jul 28, 2014
This challenge is based on working with 2-dimensional arrays (or matrix). I've met a number of professional Java developers who simply failed this task and I've met at least one student who successfully completed it.

It isn't an easy task but I think it is a real of test one's ability to think as a programmer should.

BACKGROUND CONTEXT

A zero-indexed matrix A consisting of N rows and M columns of integers is given. It can be decomposed into two sets, called upper spiral and lower spiral. The decomposition proceeds as follows:

· remove the top row of the matrix and assign its elements to the upper spiral;

· if a non-empty matrix is left, remove the bottom row of the matrix and assign its elements to the lower spiral;

· if a non-empty matrix is left, rotate it counter-clockwise (so that the rightmost column becomes the top row) and repeat.

For example, consider matrix A consisting of 7 rows and 8 columns:

5 3 8 9 4 1 3 -2
4 6 0 3 6 4 2 1
4 -5 3 1 9 5 6 6
3 7 5 3 2 8 9 4
5 3 -3 6 3 2 8 0
5 7 5 3 3 -9 2 2
0 4 3 2 5 7 5 4

It can be decomposed into the following upper spiral:

5 3 8 9 4 1 3 -2
-5 3 1 9 5 6
7 3 2 8 4
3 0
7 5 3 3 -9 2 2

and the following lower spiral:

4 6 0 3 6 4 2
4 6
3 5 9
5 -3 6 3 2 8
0 4 3 2 5 7 5 4

THE CHALLENGE

Write a function:

class Solution { 
public int solution(int[][] A) {
// your code in here!
}

}

that, given a zero-indexed matrix A consisting of N rows and M columns of integers, returns the sum of the elements that belong to the upper spiral of matrix A. The function should return −1 if the sum does not lie within the range [−100,000,000..100,000,000].

Assume that:

· N and M are integers within the range [1..1,000,000];

· the number of elements in matrix A is within the range [1..99,999,999];

· each element of matrix A is an integer within the range [−2,147,483,648..2,147,483,647].

For example, given matrix A consisting of 7 rows and 8 columns corresponding to the example above (i.e. A[0][0] = 5, A[0][1] = 3, A[0][2] = 8, A[1][0] = 4, A[2][0] = 4 etc.), the function should return 91, because

5 + 3 + 8 + 9 + 4 + 1 + 3 + (−2)
+ 1 + 6 + 4 + 0 + 2
+ 2 + (−9) + 3 + 3 + 5 + 7
+ 3 + 7 + (−5)
+ 3 + 1 + 9 + 5
+ 8
+ 2 + 3
= 91.

I have competed this task myself and I'll be posting my own solution in a few days time.
Re: Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! by Jeffahead: 10:51am On Aug 02, 2014
No attempts yet.

Java heads where are you?
Re: Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! by bluetrails(m): 8:22pm On Aug 05, 2014
I haven't attempted the algorithm for this challenge but on close observation at the 3 matrices, I couldn't identify any counter clockwise rotation whatsoever. What I see is a systematic elimination of the matrix elements and a subsequent rebuilding of new matrices from the original matrix. Let's assume the first matrix is called A and the second and third matrices are called B and C respectively , if we also assume the vacant elements in B and C are given values of zero then its clear that. A = B + C. I cannot observe any real positional rotation of the elements. I am very open to correction or some eye opening pointers, I will take another hard look then post some code . Thanks. I typed this on a mobile phone and cannot understand why my formatting disappeared, wonder if someone can give me a clue.
Re: Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! by Jeffahead: 12:05pm On Oct 16, 2014
@bluetrails

You're absolutely right. You will need to recreate the matrices to achieve the effect of a counter-clockwise rotation.
Re: Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 21, 2014
Just use hashmaps tree maps and u could solve this easily..
Re: Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! by Sibrah: 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2014
Mr. OP, what you posted here isn't really a Java problem but a programing algorithm challenge. It can be done in virtually any language or even a pseudocode or flowchart will do.

1 Like

Re: Are You SERIOUS About Java Programming Or Not?? Take This Challenge To Find Out! by Jeffahead: 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2014
ikp4succes:
Just use hashmaps tree maps and u could solve this easily..

Please go ahead Sir and show how you would solve it by posting your solution.

Sibrah:
Mr. OP, what you posted here isn't really a Java problem but a programing algorithm challenge. It can be done in virtually any language or even a pseudocode or flowchart will do.

Ok. The solution I have done is in Java. But if you want to attempt it using a different language then by all means go ahead. I would be interested to see a solution posted in C# or in any other language.

(1) (Reply)

Should I Reject Andela's Offer? / Newbies To Javascript / Jumia Black Friday Web Scraping Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.