Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,611 members, 7,888,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:11 PM

A Familiar Route - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Familiar Route (1084 Views)

Are You Familiar With This Word? Floccinaucinihilipilification / Read This Familiar Story Although You've Not Heard It This Way Before / Are You Familiar With These Literary Terms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Familiar Route by StephenP(m): 7:14pm On Oct 14, 2008
Driving down a familiar route, I fight the urges to take the “scenic route” that conveniently takes me towards you. But I stop myself, shaking my head at the notion, reminding myself that such actions would only strip away what‘s left of my fading sanity.

Thoughts become overwhelming.

I go back to our first date. Everything from the way you dressed to the way the moon hung low enough to glimmer off our skin so it seemed like we made each other glow, was perfect. I know now that I fell too quickly, but I never knew how deep and how thick till I found myself suffocating, drowning in the mere sound of your name.

This may damn near be an addiction.

Obsession.

Far past the norms of infatuation.

I’m lost.

Driving down a familiar route, I fight the urges to take the “scenic route” that conveniently take me towards you. But I stop myself, shaking my head at the notion, reminding myself that this love is undeserving and unwanted.

I remember our last kiss. As our lips touched tips I could see our shadows fully embrace, becoming one, letting passion take over. I wonder if that night, our shadows whisked off together into the stars, rebelling from us, refusing to live without the other, fleeing from reality into a paradise unknown to us.

I have lost it.

I reach the fork in the road and the moment comes for me to decide. Wisdom quietly reminds me that the choice I make tonight will hold no power over destiny.

Que sera, sera
What ever will be, will be.

So I decide to take the road less traveled.
Either way it takes me home.

Re: A Familiar Route by Cristalz(f): 9:47pm On Oct 24, 2008
Knowing that whichever route leads back home takes the anticipation out for me. When you read about someone taking ''the road less travelled'' you tend to expect a new story within the original story; a fresh event hidden. . .a hint of suspense. That's why its called ''the road less traveled''. It makes you wonder what will happen therein .Or perhaps its just me undecided

Here,you built up beautifully and all,and then comes the fork in the road. There should be a reason why the road less traveled was chosen. . .perhaps curiosity,perhaps cause he knows something will happen along that road that may change/influence things. But therez nothing of such. He simply chooses it and gently continues on his way knowing its all the same whichever way.

Kills the anticipation that builds when one reads ''a fork in the road'' and ''taking the road less traveled''. Makes it just another love story,nothing new/different. It had all the makings of a captivating little piece,but then it just fizzled out.
Re: A Familiar Route by Tgirl4real(f): 10:09pm On Oct 24, 2008
Hmm . . .

Nice one sha
Re: A Familiar Route by bluespice(f): 11:14pm On Oct 24, 2008
i believe the 'either way, it will take me home' bit should be taken semi- literaly ( if there's a thing like that)
his taking the 'less travelled road' is all in his bid to avoid the 'scenic route'
i mean he was on the familiar route n he encountered all these thoughts so going down the less travelled way should be his way to stick to his resolution
moreso remember he was driving/walking and all these are thoughts running through his head. . . . . . .

i pray i actually understood what i read undecided
Re: A Familiar Route by Cristalz(f): 11:43pm On Oct 24, 2008
Lol grin Semi-literally?

Nothing wrong in him taking the road less traveled. . .but he should tell the readers why he wants to take this road. I mean,what's special about it? What's the attraction?

'Cause according to the writer, whether he takes the scenic route or the road less traveled doesn't make much of a difference. That's where I have an issue,lol.

In the beginning he made it seem like he wanted to avoid being controlled by his obsession,which is why he desired to avoid the scenic route. But then he got to the fork in the road and realized that whichever route he followed made no difference 'cause he would end up at the same place.

The thing now is,reading ''the road less traveled'' brings an anticipation of something else to come,something the writer will experience as he travels that road. People always have something to say about 'the road less traveled'. But in this case the phrase is made to seem pointless. Like an anti-climax. . .as in,okay,he took the road less traveled,and then?? . . . . . .zilch.Flat line.He simply ends up back home.

Dunno if anyone gets my point. . .I just think ''the road less traveled'' is a phrase that should hold more meaning,more depth than the writer gave it here. It shouldn't be so ordinary.
Re: A Familiar Route by bluespice(f): 12:23am On Oct 25, 2008
lol i get wat ur saying
but u should also remember that some 'deep' words can also mean exactly wat they say
words with 'depth' to them can also be very superficial
Re: A Familiar Route by Cristalz(f): 2:39am On Oct 25, 2008
Ok. . .noted wink
Re: A Familiar Route by DaPhoenix(f): 1:02am On Oct 26, 2008
bluespice:

lol i get what ur saying
but u should also remember that some 'deep' words can also mean exactly what they say
words with 'depth' to them can also be very superficial

Yeah I somewhat agree. It seems like it should be taken literarily which is quite uncommon. The writer is trying to avoid the ex-lover in a bid to, perhaps, get over and thus, he doesn't want to take the scenic route that goes towards maybe her house or a place where he is sure to see her instead, he will literarily use the road less traveled. I guess it's both superficial and deep depending on how you look at it.

@poster, I love how it's written like a story but reads like a poem.
Re: A Familiar Route by Cristalz(f): 6:39pm On Oct 26, 2008
Seems y'all are missing my point.

He wants to avoid her by not taking the scenic route cos he knows he'll only be drawn in deeper,but then he realizes trying to avoid her is pointless cos which ever route he takes will still lead him back to her.

My own point is,why bother taking the road less traveled then when its just gon' be the same old story? Y'all should understand the concept of the phrase ''the road less traveled''. Its usually used to depict the unusual, something other than the norm of things, something different. And when its used,it builds up an expectation in the mind of the reader in anticipation of this deviation from the norm. The reader expects the gist of what happens on that road, something to substantiate why its less traveled, anything at all.

And here, I got nothing. So I'm wondering why he bothered with ''the road less traveled'', or if he even realizes there is an inherent expectation when one goes down ''the road less traveled''.

I think the phrase is uncalled for here since there's nothing in it,that's all.
Re: A Familiar Route by bluespice(f): 7:18pm On Oct 26, 2008
wat if where he was going to find himself whichever way he took was his own house?
Re: A Familiar Route by Cristalz(f): 8:02pm On Oct 26, 2008
Re: A Familiar Route by bluespice(f): 3:58pm On Oct 27, 2008
why are u confused?
by the way, where is StepenP the author,
isnt he tired of our speculations?
Re: A Familiar Route by StephenP(m): 9:33pm On Oct 27, 2008
I like the little debate going on cheesy I called it the road less traveled because I have traveled less on that route instead I use the route that always leads me to her. True, both roads lead me home but the "road less traveled" takes me away from her thus making me retain my sanity.

I hope that makes sense smiley Thanks for all your comments.
Re: A Familiar Route by Cristalz(f): 9:39pm On Oct 27, 2008
StephenP:

I like the little debate going on cheesy I called it the road less traveled because I have traveled less on that route instead I use the route that always leads me to her. True, both roads lead me home but the "road less traveled" takes me away from her thus making me retain my sanity.

I hope that makes sense smiley Thanks for all your comments.

Dude. . .shez really got your head messed up real bad cheesy

This is the most twisted,contradictory write-up I have read in a long long time grin
Re: A Familiar Route by StephenP(m): 9:58pm On Oct 27, 2008
Cristalz:

Dude. . .shez really got your head messed up real bad cheesy

This is the most twisted,contradictory write-up I have read in a long long time grin

grin My bad. . .
Re: A Familiar Route by Tgirl4real(f): 10:47pm On Oct 27, 2008
Lol
Re: A Familiar Route by bluspice(f): 11:59am On Oct 28, 2008
ahhh! i was right! *jumping up n down*
it was simply the road less travelled! cheesy
Re: A Familiar Route by Cristalz(f): 8:41pm On Oct 28, 2008
So? undecided grin
Re: A Familiar Route by bluspice(f): 11:23pm On Oct 28, 2008
i can see into the poster's mind!
i am psychic grin grin
lol Crystal do u write?
if u do, pls can u grace us with one of ur pieces? cheesy
Re: A Familiar Route by StephenP(m): 2:25am On Oct 29, 2008
bluspice:

ahhh! i was right! *jumping up n down*
it was simply the road less travelled! cheesy
bluspice:

i can see into the poster's mind!
i am psychic grin grin
lol Crystal do u write?
if u do, please can u grace us with one of ur pieces? cheesy

grin The good thing about literature pieces is that everyone has their own way of seeing them that's why I didn't respond earlier.

(1) (Reply)

New Romance Novel Out Now / Am Special / 10 Books Every Child Should Own

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.