Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,164 members, 7,890,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 02:17 AM

Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? (4120 Views)

Is It Possible To Change God's Will Through Prayer ? / Atheist Just Hope "Hell,heaven, God Doesnt Exist" / Are You Commanding Your Mornings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by shdemidemi(m): 7:52am On Aug 01, 2014
Olusanya333: Pray that u attain such a Spiritual glory nd stop deceiving urself. Don't just hold d form of Religion nd deny the Power of it. Our weapon is nt carnal but strong and mighty in pulling down the Stronghold of d enemy.

Please, go and check what 'stronghold' means...

The bible never said stronghold of the enemy, you added that. Check what stronghold mean for clarity.

Olusanya333: He taught me in the Lord Prayer "Let thy will be done" Its will dat Agent of darkness r destroyed. I'm talking in Spiritual enviroment

He says 'God's will be done', what correlation has that got with praying against what you call devil?

You are yet to show me the connection between 'God will be done' and fighting agent of darkness. If Jesus did not teach us to pray that way, where did you invent such prayer points?

Did you see any disciple or apostle or Jesus pray such prayers?

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by nep2ra(m): 9:59am On Aug 01, 2014
Olusanya333: Pray that u attain such a Spiritual glory nd stop deceiving urself. Don't just hold d form of Religion nd deny the Power of it. Our weapon is nt carnal but strong and mighty in pulling down the Stronghold of d enemy.

Abegi...na today?

:/
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 01, 2014
[quote author=shdemidemi]

Yes it was God

But how can God be for something and also against it ?

Jesus was the exact representation of the father ( both of us agree on this ) , and he was always on about how God wanted men to be saved and not destroyed, he also rebuked the disciples for wanting to call down fire from heaven yet Elijah was able to do this with God's consent. Is this not contradictory ?

He didn't come to the world for that.

Ofcourse it's the same God/Jesus of old who came to save the world at the appropriate time.

First off, Jesus was not of Old, God was.

But are you insinuating that salvation only came when Jesus arrived and prior to that there was no salvation possible to the gentiles ?

Because they are ignorant of where they stand in Christ today.

We agree on this.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Olusanya333(m): 12:12pm On Aug 01, 2014
shdemidemi:

Please, go and check what 'stronghold' means...

The bible never said stronghold of the enemy, you added that. Check what stronghold mean for clarity.

You are yet to show me the connection between 'God will be done' and fighting agent of darkness. If Jesus did not teach us to pray that way, where did you invent such prayer points?

Did you see any disciple or apostle or Jesus pray such prayers?
Are you doing what the Apostle are doing then? Their is a promise of protection for belivers that do certain things nd dat d Apostle did dats why dey don't pray such prayer. Have u not read about the two olives that stand in the presence of the Lord? dat whoever wants to harm dem fire come forth nd destroy dem. Now dis Fire came frm God nd dis Olives r two prophet to come to d world. If u can attain what the Apostle attain no need to pray such a prayer.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by paxonel(m): 2:02pm On Aug 01, 2014
frosbel: "Then the king sent to him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him, and behold, he was sitting on the top of the hill. And he said to him, "O man of God, the king says, 'Come down.'" Elijah replied to the captain of fifty, "If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty." Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.…" - 2 Kings 1:9-10

"When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But He turned and rebuked them, [and said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”] And they went on to another village." - Luke 9:54

If we review these two scripture , it appears that in the OT people were free to call down fire from heaven whereas in the NT this was specifically prohibited.

We all know that God does not change, Today, Yesterday or forever and hence I have a few questions :

- Was it God that made the fire to come down from heaven at Elijah's beckoning
- Why did Jesus reveal a different person of God who actually does not want to send down fire from heaven to destroy people
- Jesus made the statement "...the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them!" , does this not mean that a lot of violence we attribute to God may not have been his will or even ordered by him.
-Why do many churches today call down fire from heaven in contrast to the command of Jesus.

Thanks for your participation.

Have you ever seen or hear any church bringing down fire from heaven before?

2 Likes

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by jdilight(m): 2:13pm On Aug 01, 2014
frosbel: "Then the king sent to him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him, and behold, he was sitting on the top of the hill. And he said to him, "O man of God, the king says, 'Come down.'" Elijah replied to the captain of fifty, "If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty." Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.…" - 2 Kings 1:9-10

"When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But He turned and rebuked them, [and said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”] And they went on to another village." - Luke 9:54

If we review these two scripture , it appears that in the OT people were free to call down fire from heaven whereas in the NT this was specifically prohibited.

We all know that God does not change, Today, Yesterday or forever and hence I have a few questions :

- Why did Jesus reveal a different person of God who actually does not want to send down fire from heaven to destroy people
- Jesus made the statement "...the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them!" , does this not mean that a lot of violence we attribute to God may not have been his will or even ordered by him.
-Why do many churches today call down fire from heaven in contrast to the command of Jesus.

Thanks for your participation.

This two people you mentioned came with different messages from the same God, under different law.

The fire came under the law of moses: tooth for tat while Jesus was under the law of Christ: forgiveness.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
Humanity can begin to move forward once we get rid of religion. We need good roads,constant electricity,employment in Nigeria,not God.

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Weah96: 4:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
paxonel:
Have you ever seen or hear any church bringing down fire from heaven before?

If pastors are curing Ebola with prayers, what is ordinary fire?
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by nep2ra(m): 11:06pm On Aug 02, 2014
ifeness: Humanity can begin to move forward once we get rid of religion. We need good roads,contant electricity,employment in Nigeria,not God.

A beautiful human being with a beautiful mind.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 22, 2014
ifeness: Humanity can begin to move forward once we get rid of religion. We need good roads,constant electricity,employment in Nigeria,not God.

Yes, we need God.

What do you have after you die? Roads, employment? Think more than the physical dear
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Weah96: 1:42pm On Aug 22, 2014
Timzy234:

Yes, we need God.

What do you have after you die? Roads, employment? Think more than the physical dear
What do you have after you die? How do you know?
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2014
Weah96:
What do you have after you die? How do you know?

If I die, I die with belief...what would you die with? wink
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Weah96: 2:10pm On Aug 22, 2014
Timzy234:

If I die, I die with belief...what would you die with? wink

Look at what 'belief' is doing to Ebola, I should say what Ebola is doing to belief. Belief should be based on reality.
If you were to turn up at the John Hopkins medical center for a common headache, any physician there could give you a pill made out of corn meal and it would cure your symptoms. That's how belief and faith work.
One's mind has to be completely tricked and should hold zero doubts. How is that possible? The senses must also be tricked.
The way you guys are doing yours is foolishness. It's completely blind. Do you think that your mind can be tricked that easily? The fact that you have not died before, or spoken to someone who has, makes your belief about the afterlife childish. It's the equivalent of closing your eyes, wishing for a brand new vehicle to appear in your driveway, and then running outside to look. That's foolishness, not belief. Real belief is called the Placebo effect in science and it requires the corroboration of reality.
How many Ebola patients has God healed?
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 22, 2014
Weah96:

Look at what 'belief' is doing to Ebola, I should say what Ebola is doing to belief. Belief should be based on reality.
If you were to turn up at the John Hopkins medical center for a common headache, any physician there could give you a pill made out of corn meal and it would cure your symptoms. That's how belief and faith work.
One's mind has to be completely tricked and should hold zero doubts. How is that possible? The senses must also be tricked.
The way you guys are doing yours is foolishness. It's completely blind. Do you think that your mind can be tricked that easily? The fact that you have not died before, or spoken to someone who has, makes your belief about the afterlife childish. It's the equivalent of closing your eyes, wishing for a brand new vehicle to appear in your driveway, and then running outside to look. That's foolishness, not belief. Real belief is called the Placebo effect in science and it requires the corroboration of reality.
How many Ebola patients has God healed?

You have not answered my question yet, answer it, and I'll answer you smiley
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 22, 2014

The situation in the two accounts were different. The boys mocked Elijah while the individuals at Luke 9 didn't do so.

Reading this portion of the bible will be misleading. The words added by KJV writers are doubtful. Jesus did not say that. Read it in NIV or ESV instead.

God do change in some cases. But His purpose does not change.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 24, 2014
Timzy234:

Yes, we need God.

Why do you need God? What happened to a Goddess?

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Weah96: 9:55am On Aug 24, 2014
Timzy234:

You have not answered my question yet, answer it, and I'll answer you smiley

I did. Belief is worse than useless if not grounded in reality. I shall die in the hopes that someday my meat vehicle will help provide some healthy potatoes for a small family. That's a belief too, but mine is based on the behavior of nature.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Love Thy “gay” Neighbor / Lets Celebrate The King Of Kings / Alert! Inter-faith Worship Is Coming. Do Not Compromise Your Salvation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.