Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,025 members, 7,949,461 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 10:42 AM

Free Online University Degree For All - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Free Online University Degree For All (2871 Views)

Ordering Transcripts Online - University Of Ibadan / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria / Online University Mathematics; A New Section Of Mathsvillage.org (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 7:55am On Jul 30, 2014
"We need to bring learning to people instead of people to learning." Elliot Masie, Masie Center

Technology is in no doubt revolutionizing every facets of human lives; this revolution is sweeping through the education sector across the globe. Universities around the world seeing the need to key into this reform are beginning to come up with various E-learning programs.

Stanford University,MIT,University of Edinburgh are few among institutions making that have opened their courses to millions of people worldwide for free.

While these free courses from these universities won't earn you a degree,few individuals are working day and night to create FREE universities where millions of people can earn accredited degrees.

The most successful of all these attempts is an Israeli entrepreneur by the name Shai Reshef. He is the founder of University of the People popularly known as Uopeople.

Uopeople is an online university based in the United States of America. The university is the FIRST TUITION FREE UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD and has students from over 190 countries including Nigeria.

The university presently has two courses which are Business Admin and Computer science. You can study for free and earn accredited certificates at the associate and degree level. The associate degree is a 2yr program while that of degree is 4yrs.

I'm here to help Nigerians answer any question within my ability as a STUDENT of Uopeople.

On Uopeople application,I made my application in 2010,I first went through their website and read the application process then I:

1. Copied the essay topics and answered 5 of them.

2. Went back and started the application process,filled the form online and submited online with the essays.

3.Printed out the acknowledgement card and their rules and signed them.

4. Made photocopy of my waec certificate and secondary school testimonial.

5. Took it to federal high court in my state along side the original and showed it to the court clerk or so.

6. After confirming that the photocopied documents were truly from the original,he collected it signed and stamped it. Note that I paid #20 per document totalling forty naira into govt purse.

7.I sent the stamped photocopied documents with the printed documents to the school address in California using NIPOST -it cost like #400 .

8. I got an email the next month from Uopeople confirming the receipt of my documents and that I should send WAEC scratch card.

9. I scanned it and sent it via email

10. The following term,I was admitted.

I started with computer science but the course is damn too tedious,it would have been easier for me if I had prior knowledge in computer science and the coding stuff. We had virtual laboratory,did python programming,Java etc before I applied for change of course (We did real practicals and coding EVERY WEEK). I'm now in my final year in business admin.

I have tasted a Nigeria university and I can tell you it is NO MATCH FOR UOPEOPLE. Online learning is not for EVERYBODY and i have seen so many Nigerians dropped out of Uopeople. Self motivation and discipline is required to scale through this school.

To learn more about the school,visit the school official page www.uopeople.edu

New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/education/free-online-university-receives-accreditation-in-time-for-graduating-class-of-7.html?_r=0

Forbes Magazine
http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterhigh/2014/03/03/a-conversation-with-the-president-of-worlds-first-non-pro%EF%AC%81t-tuition-free-accredited-online-university/

BBC
http://m.bbc.com/news/technology-27117597
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by JustCare: 12:42pm On Jul 30, 2014
you may not worry about my mail though? your post has answered my questions?
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 1:47pm On Jul 30, 2014
JustCare: you may not worry about my mail though? your post has answered my questions?

OK bros,if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 3:41pm On Jul 30, 2014
To read Nigerians story about the school visit http://uopeople.edu/groups/featured_students and click on each picture to read each story.
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by JustCare: 6:40am On Jul 31, 2014
I will send the number again ... didn't get a message.tell me a little about your expenditures then. I learnt that the Microsoft scholarship is meant for us only at associate degree level. did you make use of other scholarships to settle your expenses?
thanks
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 12:04pm On Jul 31, 2014
JustCare: I will send the number again ... didn't get a message.tell me a little about your expenditures then. I learnt that the Microsoft scholarship is meant for us only at associate degree level. did you make use of other scholarships to settle your expenses?
thanks

I started when the school was not charging examination fee so those of us started then won't be paying a dime till the end of our program .

You need not worry about the tuition after the 2years program as there are scholarships available that you can apply to especially when you are from Africa. I have replied you with my number.
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by khattab008: 12:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
Nice thread.
@Born2lead01:
As a social science student, is it possible to gain admission into the computer science program.

Was a social science student in secondary school.
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 9:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
[quote author=khattab008]Nice thread.
@Born2lead01:
As a social science student, is it possible to gain admission into the computer science program.

Was a social science student in secondary school.[/quot I don't think so but you can apply as who knows they might consider you as fewer people are applying for computer science than business admin.
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by khattab008: 4:18am On Aug 05, 2014
[quote author=born2lead01][/quote]
Ok Thanks.
Is secondary school transcript required?
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 1:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
khattab008:
Ok Thanks.
Is secondary school transcript required?
no,just send o level result and secondary school testimonial
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by khattab008: 2:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
born2lead01: no,just send o level result and secondary school testimonial
Ok, Thanks.
Will begin application in soon.
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 2:19pm On Aug 06, 2014
khattab008:
Ok, Thanks.
Will begin application in soon.

Welcome bros, the earlier the better.
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by BrightForYou(m): 3:35am On Feb 15, 2015
Hello. Please,is this university certificate recognised here in Nigeria being an online and distance learning programme? Thanks.
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 3:04pm On Aug 03, 2015
BrightForYou:
Hello. Please,is this university certificate recognised here in Nigeria being an online and distance learning programme? Thanks.

NUC says no
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by born2lead01: 3:09pm On Aug 03, 2015
Admission still on and the school charges token as application fees
Re: Free Online University Degree For All by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 29, 2015
can I apply for a master degree at Canada with the bachelor degree from the institution ?

(1) (Reply)

Direct Entry 2017/2018 Admission Whatsapp Group / Abu Zaria 2017/2018 Special Admission Aspirant / JAMB Registration Statistics 2019/2020, See People That Applied For Your Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.